Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-12-2012, 16:30   #1
happy seal

3 hour CCW pistol permit class, Ct.

What would you say to someone giving pistol permit classes in 3 hours including shooting?

"Off to the Salt Mine, My Friend"
happy seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 16:45   #2
jellis11
Yippee-ki-yay

I know of a bunch of guys that had a class that was five hours, no shooting. And they got their CWP...

Told them it was pretty shady and they should be careful if they ever use their weapon as it could backfire on them... They said I was just jealous that I wasted a whole day in a classroom and had to shoot.
jellis11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 17:02   #3
Powder

Tell them the 2nd amendment doesn't say anything about having to take a class before you are allowed to keep and bear arms..........
Old 04-12-2012, 17:52   #4
happy seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Tell them the 2nd amendment doesn't say anything about having to take a class before you are allowed to keep and bear arms..........
Interesting point of view! Unfortunatley Dept of Public Safety does NOT see it that way!

"Off to the Salt Mine, My Friend"
happy seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 18:00   #5
DWavs

Send a message via ICQ to DWavs Send a message via AIM to DWavs Send a message via Yahoo to DWavs

It differs from state to state. Some places you don't need to take a class at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
...a place to discuss cigars!

TT #1
DWavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 18:07   #6
ronin.45

If the CT class is as stupid as the OH class, they probably learned all they were going to.

Here we don't have a curriculum, just a 12 hour time demand. Some classes are good others suck.

Realistically, if the student already knows how to shoot(which anyone going for a CC license should), 3 hours is more than enough.
Old 04-12-2012, 18:48   #7
E-2-E
Long Trail

I don't see a problem with it, and actually didn't know they demanded so many hrs of class, just complete a course.
I'm sickened by all religions. Religion has divided people. I don't think there's any difference between the pope wearing a large hat and parading around with a smoking purse and an African painting his face white and praying to a rock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
E-2-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 20:01   #8
urban assault

I've carried since I was 19 and working as a Bouncer(permit, we don't need no steenkin' permit), but eventually went legit because I did not want the stigma of being arrested for exercising a basic human right.

Fast forward to this year(I'm now 45) and while I THOUGHT I still had at least six months to go before my CCW renewal, I had actually been carrying illegally for almost a year!

After recovering from my heart attack, I immediately started looking for a local CCW class so I could get my NRA certificate and go re-apply. Here in Oregon we only have to attend a safety class, with no shooting needed, and no real chance of failing the class.

Imagine my surprise when I found out that now I didn't even have to show up in person for a two-hour class... I could do the whole thing over the Web!

In reality, the Web CCW 'safety lecture' took just 30 minutes total, and the kicker was that it only cost 15 bucks.

I printed out my certificate with the instructors electronic signature, took it to the county Sheriff's office, filled out the forms, did the fingerprints, paid my $65, and received my new permit in four business days.

I could not believe how easy(and cheap) it had become compared to when I first got my permit years before.

The times have certainly changed.

-urban
urban assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 20:46   #9
handyman

The classes in MN I don't care for, I think they need to be longer and alot more range time.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 21:08   #10
Cmacc

I took the NRA Basic Pistol Safety Course, several hours on a Sat. morning. Instructor encouraged us to get more training, familiarize ourselves with the laws, continue regular shooting and to think seriously about the ramifications of carrying a firearm and the ways our lives would be changed if we ever had to use our weapon and/or if we didn't have a weapon and needed one.

Iowa very recently changed from a "may issue" to "shall issue" state. The gun advocacy groups are working very hard to push for Castle Doctrine, Stand Your Ground and Constitutional Carry laws here in Iowa.

Last edited by Cmacc; 04-12-2012 at 21:11..
Cmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 21:29   #11
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

I'd say THANK YOU and ask if he has any cards.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 21:56   #12
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy seal View Post
What would you say to someone giving pistol permit classes in 3 hours including shooting?
I took one for my CCW that lasted probaby 5 hours. It wasn't a problem for me but the proficiency of a few fellow graduates scared the bejeesus out of me.
czsmithGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 22:34   #13
larry_minn
Silver Membership

I guess if you toss in time to fill out forms. Then you might need 3 hrs.

My first permit took 15 minutes. And was free. Went on that way for yrs. I did take training on side but just went into Sheriff's office and fill out forms, chat (if Sheriff was there) and they gave new permit. Could even do it by mail after a couple yrs.

Now its classes, and costs.
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 22:58   #14
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

Texas has some of the strictest standards for CHL classwork training. It's an all-day affair and then shooting.

But whatever.

Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:33   #15
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
Texas has some of the strictest standards for CHL classwork training. It's an all-day affair and then shooting.

But whatever.

Well Jav - I suppose that's understandable since Texas doesn't recognize the 2nd Amendment.

certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:11   #16
eruby

I took the NRA First Steps pisol class in order to get my Non-Resident FLA permit and I don't theink the class was much over 3 hours, icluding class time, range time and showing I could field strip and re-assemble the .45 I used.

Hopefully soon I'll actually be able to get a MD permit.
eruby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:52   #17
sbhaven

Quote:
Does the class/course meet the the following Sec. 29-28. requirements? If so what's the big deal?
Quote:
... successfully complete a course approved by the Commissioner of Public Safety in the safety and use of pistols and revolvers including, but not limited to, a safety or training course in the use of pistols and revolvers available to the public offered by a law enforcement agency, a private or public educational institution or a firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Environmental Protection and a safety or training course in the use of pistols or revolvers conducted by an instructor certified by the state or the National Rifle Association,
Not to mention that there is no language in our state constitution that indicates a permit is required to "bear arms"...
Quote:
SEC. 15. Every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:10   #18
Reswob

Quote:
I would say that's about 3 hours too long!

Around here, you can get a permit with a 20 min online "class". And if you already know anything about gun safety, you can fast-forward through the 20 min video and just take the test.
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:28   #19
glock_collector

I teach in MN, our classes are aprox 6 hrs, some more, never less due to the volume of information we provide. Safety "stuff" in a big part, even teaching veteran carry folks on the proper way to load-unload a firearm, ect....The travel info is really driven home due to us being such a mobile society, a very broad spectrum of info. Our class should really be 8+ hrs to do a great job, however people have shorter attention spans than that.
glock_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:46   #20
Cubdriver

I took mine about 25 years ago now ( - doesn't seem possible!!), and don't recall it being much more than that, if even that long...

-Pat