Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-12-2014, 23:16   #1
white.david

What range to dial laser for SD?

So I just got my first laser light from viridian and need to dial it in. What range is a good medium for CCW?
white.david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:37   #2
collim1
Shower Time!

7 yards. Still on up closer and will hit com but not to POA at longer ranges. A laser is a short range deal. Dial it in where are you are most likely to take advantage of it.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:51   #3
Deployment Solu
Kydex Crafter

I agree. Since most gunfights take place at conversational distances, 7 yds is optimal. That is where speed and accuracy are needed. That is where the laser shines. Take a look at shooting on the move on a video with Todd Jarret done by Crimson Trace...

The world needs less victims and more victors!!!!!
Deployment Solu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 19:29   #4
white.david

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deployment Solu View Post
I agree. Since most gunfights take place at conversational distances, 7 yds is optimal. That is where speed and accuracy are needed. That is where the laser shines. Take a look at shooting on the move on a video with Todd Jarret done by Crimson Trace...
Thanks, just checked it out. I'll have to see if my range allows shooting on the move next time I go out.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:55   #5
mcasan

I would think that for an rail mounted laser the drop from the center of the barrel to the center of the beam would be something like 1.5" (4cm). Using the info in the link you can see approximately when your bullet should drop through the laser beam. I think that for a 9mm round that would be something like 60yards/meters.

That should mean that at point blank range you are maybe 2" above the beam, at around 25 years maybe the bullet is around 3" above the beam, at around 60 years the bullet would be crossing the beam, and for several more yards the bullet not be more than 2"" below the beam.

I guess the key is to know the projection pattern for the ammo you want to use to align the laser. for accuracy over the widest range. Self defense may be relatively close range inside your home. But out in public the perpetrator may be farther away (which is what you want). I might set up a pistol for home defense for close range. But for CCW I would what max accuracy over a wilder distance.

[url]http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_trajectory_table.htm[/url]

Last edited by mcasan; 07-14-2014 at 12:27..
mcasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:19   #6
mcasan

deleted

Last edited by mcasan; 07-14-2014 at 12:27.. Reason: duplicate post
mcasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 18:52   #7
white.david

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcasan View Post
I would think that for an rail mounted laser the drop from the center of the barrel to the center of the beam would be something like 1.5" (4cm). Using the info in the link you can see approximately when your bullet should drop through the laser beam. I think that for a 9mm round that would be something like 60yards/meters.

That should mean that at point blank range you are maybe 2" above the beam, at around 25 years maybe the bullet is around 3" above the beam, at around 60 years the bullet would be crossing the beam, and for several more yards the bullet not be more than 2"" below the beam.

I guess the key is to know the projection pattern for the ammo you want to use to align the laser. for accuracy over the widest range. Self defense may be relatively close range inside your home. But out in public the perpetrator may be farther away (which is what you want). I might set up a pistol for home defense for close range. But for CCW I would what max accuracy over a wilder distance.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_trajectory_table.htm
It's a Ruger LCP .380 with Viridian trigger guard laser, it'll be loaded with Federal Hydroshock 95 grain. Primarily carried as a pocket CCW while at work, i have to wear dress clothes so IWB's don't work well for me.