Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-20-2014, 21:54   #1
ARP

I have never had a light or laser on

a firearm/pistol. Now I do. Aware of the pro's/cons. not up for debate. The laser is green, it's main purpose is night time use and a training aid for me, not a crutch for poor technique and lack of practice. Light will be used as burst or bounced off wall for illumination. And practice using properly.

Now that we got that out of the way, at what distance are those of you that have and use a laser sighting for, 15yds? 10yds? I doubt that I would be engaging a target at beyond 15 yds with a handgun, just want to confirm

Last edited by ARP; 08-20-2014 at 21:54..
ARP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 13:44   #2
RichM
NRA Benefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARP View Post
a firearm/pistol. Now I do. Aware of the pro's/cons. not up for debate. The laser is green, it's main purpose is night time use and a training aid for me, not a crutch for poor technique and lack of practice. Light will be used as burst or bounced off wall for illumination. And practice using properly.

Now that we got that out of the way, at what distance are those of you that have and use a laser sighting for, 15yds? 10yds? I doubt that I would be engaging a target at beyond 15 yds with a handgun, just want to confirm
I've sighted in mine and my wife's (4 Glocks, 2 LCP's) for the length of the longest hallway in my house. (I think it was 40')

But, that means the laser will only be 1/2" high or low for many feet either side of that.

At 40', just about every shot will hit something smaller than a pack of cigarettes.

Also, keep in mind that your carry ammo will probably hit high or low from cheap, practice ammo.
So, sight it in using the cheap stuff, and then 'tweak' it a little with the good stuff.

And, re-verify point of aim each and every time you replace the battery.

Rich

Full Carry NY, AZ, FL, ME, NH, PA, UT, VA
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 17:20   #3
ARP

I hemd and hawd, red or green

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM View Post
I've sighted in mine and my wife's (4 Glocks, 2 LCP's) for the length of the longest hallway in my house. (I think it was 40')

But, that means the laser will only be 1/2" high or low for many feet either side of that.

At 40', just about every shot will hit something smaller than a pack of cigarettes.

Also, keep in mind that your carry ammo will probably hit high or low from cheap, practice ammo.
So, sight it in using the cheap stuff, and then 'tweak' it a little with the good stuff.

And, re-verify point of aim each and every time you replace the battery.

Rich
and have been warned that green sucks power, but "seems" to be preferred over red. I have a red dot sight on my Sig 522 that has multiple reticles, I tend to like the green cross on it. I'm going to train with it both on and off, see if I like it and go from there. The CZ that it is going on does not have tritium sights, but I think they may be phosphorous as they glow a little in the dark.
ARP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 21:29   #4
DJ Niner

I think RichM's method for sight-in, above, is well-thought-out and effective. If you sight-in a laser too close, let's say 3-5 yards, then try to use it at 3 times that distance, the POA/POI will be quite a bit "off", due to the bullet crossing the laser's beam too close to the muzzle. Sighting-in at the max distance you think you'll ever use it in the house means it will probably never be more than 1 to 1.5 times off the separation of the handgun bore and the beam; probably 2 inches or so, maximum, from the muzzle all the way to the target. Plenty close enough for well-centered hits.

I've played around with laser weaponsights for over ten years, from the second-generation gas lasers to the current solid-state models. Because the human eye is far more sensitive to the wavelength of green light vs red, given two lasers (green and red) of the same power, the green will appear to be far brighter and easier to pick-up in a hurry under almost any ambient light conditions.

I didn't think it would be that big of a difference, until my son bought a new green laser a couple of months ago, and we tried it out on the indoor range last week. Man, that thing is bright! It makes my various red lasers (all in good shape, with new-ish batteries) look like pretty weak sauce in comparison.

Just be aware that if you intend to use the laser-sighted firearm outdoors in cold weather, that the green lasers (all that I've checked, so far, anyway) have a far more narrow temperature operating range than the red lasers. For indoor use, this is not a problem. For outdoors, it is possible that a user might bust the top-end (max) temperature in mid-summer, especially if the gun was stored in a car trunk, and in the Northern climates, you could bust the low (minimum) operating temp during several of the winter months, depending on your exact location.

I don't want to look like I'm picking on Streamlight here; similar temperature limits seem to apply to all lasers I've checked, but Streamlight is nice enough to make the info easy to find on their fact sheets for each model.

Example -- Streamlight TLR-2 and TLR-2G
On each fact sheet, go down the page to the "Features" section, and then find "Operating temperature".

Red
http://www.streamlight.com/static/do..._sheet/252.pdf

Green
http://www.streamlight.com/static/do..._sheet/258.pdf

...The second most dangerous thing to do is Turning Your Life Around. Going by local news reports, if you start Turning Your Life Around, you will inexplicably wind up face down in a convenience store parking lot at 0300 with a bag of somebody else's money in your hand, a chalk outline, and half a magazine's worth of the taxpayers' bullets in your ass. -- Tamara K.

Link >>>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by DJ Niner; 08-21-2014 at 21:57.. Reason: Added temperature limitations info and links
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 21:38   #5
Mahalo_.32

I like the green so much better.. I eventually will put a laser on my G32 in green..
I had a tactical light on my G32 a few years ago and I did notice how it balanced my compact model plus helped with follow up shots.
G19 9mm
NEW G30s;)
Mahalo_.32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 18:51   #6
tenforme

I put a green Viridain on my G20 over a year ago and used it weekly for dry fire practice - using it to perfect smooth trigger control. It made a huge improvement.

I also use it indoors an outdoors at 25yd and further. I sighted it for 25 yds and its very effective. I would use it for hunting if it was legal. Actually, its insane that we can't use lasers for hunting, after it can only improve the rate of clean one shot kills.
tenforme is offline   Reply With Quote