GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 20:48   #1
Hour13
Tah-dah!
 
Hour13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 2,116
HD round?

Just want to see what you guys suggest for a good HD round in .223/5.56?

I have tons of M855 on hand, but hardly what I'd want to fire off in my house should the need arise. "Barrier Penetrator" ammo is hardly ideal for my neighbors, lol.

And... noise. With the layout of my house, in a HD situation, I'd likely end up firing from my rather narrow hallway, towards front of house. Being that donning ear protection isn't very likely, and suppressors are not an option, low/minimal noise levels would be ideal. The ears I have are my only pair!

So minimal noise, light grain, and soft/hollow-point, any suggestions?

Sorry if this should be in caliber corner, it is specifically for my ARs though!
__________________
"I'll have a Coke..."

Quote:
She can't say stupid stuff with her mouth full of sausage.
Quote:
I have no problem charging somebody stark nekid, with a TP tail hanging from my butt... Maybe they'll go to their maker with a smile on their face.
Hour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 20:57   #2
bigmoney890
Senior Member
 
bigmoney890's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boone, NC
Posts: 1,453
I have vaulted ceilings and the echo is tremendous throughout my house, so this would be the same criteria for myself. Hope you get some good feedback!
bigmoney890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 22:31   #3
Cole125
Silver Membership
Senior Member
 
Cole125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Far West, USA
Posts: 7,593
Take a look at Hornady 55gr V-max, it is not going to over penetrate, as soon as it impacts anything it will go "poof".

As far as noise, I have shot my AR without earplugs and its bearable. Your ears should be the last thing you are worries about when your saving your own life with your gun.

Last edited by Cole125; 04-10-2012 at 22:32..
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 22:49   #4
Hour13
Tah-dah!
 
Hour13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 2,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole125 View Post
Take a look at Hornady 55gr V-max, it is not going to over penetrate, as soon as it impacts anything it will go "poof".
Good idea man, I'll check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole125 View Post
As far as noise, I have shot my AR without earplugs and its bearable. As have I, but not in my narrow hallway! Your ears should be the last thing you are worries about when your saving your own life with your gun.
I couldn't agree more, which is why I'm thinking about it now, before I may need it. If I can load my "bedside" AR with something that may cause less permanent damage to my ears, all the better!

Black Rifle Forum
__________________
"I'll have a Coke..."

Quote:
She can't say stupid stuff with her mouth full of sausage.
Quote:
I have no problem charging somebody stark nekid, with a TP tail hanging from my butt... Maybe they'll go to their maker with a smile on their face.
Hour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 22:52   #5
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
My .223 is loaded with Hornaday TAP
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 00:05   #6
TSAX
USAF Vet
 
TSAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 10,123
Blog Entries: 2
The TAP here as well.






__________________
IAVA (Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America) Member

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

GSSF Member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

NRA Member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:52   #7
WoodenPlank
Who?
 
WoodenPlank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 7,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole125 View Post
Take a look at Hornady 55gr V-max, it is not going to over penetrate, as soon as it impacts anything it will go "poof".

As far as noise, I have shot my AR without earplugs and its bearable. Your ears should be the last thing you are worries about when your saving your own life with your gun.
It also can fail to penetrate deep enough to reach vitals, depending on angle. The V-Max was designed for rapid expansion in varmint animals for a quick kill, not designed for the slightly deeper penetration needed against two-legged threats.

The best ammo depends on your barrel length and twist rate. Assuming 16" barrel and no slower than a 1:9 twist, look at the 55-69 grain soft points and OTM loads. While something in the 70+ grain range is ideal, the Federal 62 grain soft point (FBI load), 55 grain Speed Gold Dot, and the Winchester Ranger 64gr soft points, or the new Mk. 318 SOST load will all perform quite well. Heck, even 55gr ball ammo will work pretty well from a 16" barrel at HD distances, although not as well through barriers. Avoid anything ballistic-tipped, as most ballistic tip loads (coughtapfpdcough) are varmint-hunting bullets repackaged as SD/HD loads.

Even though it's on the dreaded Arfcom, check out this link.
__________________
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:49   #8
CDW4ME
Senior Member
 
CDW4ME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,151
.223 / AR HD load: maybe the Barnes TSX or Federal Fusion.
__________________
No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!
CDW4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:12   #9
plouffedaddy
Senior Member
 
plouffedaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Carolina
Posts: 2,200
I used to have 55gr TAP; it's a great round but I've since switched to 75gr BTHP TAP. They're totally different rounds but I was just worried about underpenetration so I switched it up. The 75gr rounds seem to not overpenetrate but still go a little deeper according to www.le.atk.com which provides a lot of ballistics for quality defensive ammo.

I'm sure either would be a good choice though; I wouldn't want to be shot with either
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Certified Glock Armorer
plouffedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:26   #10
DieselNut
Senior Member
 
DieselNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 442
Send a message via AIM to DieselNut
Getcha some Zombie Max.
__________________
Nothing smells better than diesel fumes, cosmoline, and burnt gun powder.
DieselNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:50   #11
WoodenPlank
Who?
 
WoodenPlank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 7,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
.223 / AR HD load: maybe the Barnes TSX or Federal Fusion.
Both are excellent choices, actually. I'd love to get my hands on a good stock of the 70 grain TSX loads, but the few companies making brown tip clones are asking an arm and a leg for them. I'll happily stick with the 75gr TAP T2s in the meantime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
I used to have 55gr TAP; it's a great round but I've since switched to 75gr BTHP TAP. They're totally different rounds but I was just worried about underpenetration so I switched it up. The 75gr rounds seem to not overpenetrate but still go a little deeper according to www.le.atk.com which provides a lot of ballistics for quality defensive ammo.

I'm sure either would be a good choice though; I wouldn't want to be shot with either
I wouldn't either, but I'm far more comfortable staking my life behind the 75gr TAP T2. Even the TAP FPD in 75 grain is supposed to be respectable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselNut View Post
Getcha some Zombie Max.
__________________
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:37   #12
Airhasz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bad Axe
Posts: 535
[QUOTE=WoodenPlank;18829574]Both are excellent choices, actually. I'd love to get my hands on a good stock of the 70 grain TSX loads, but the few companies making brown tip clones are asking an arm and a leg for them. I'll happily stick with the 75gr TAP T2s in the meantime.



I wouldn't either, but I'm far more comfortable staking my life behind the 75gr TAP T2. Even the TAP FPD in 75 grain is supposed to be respectable.



[/QUOTE
Plank, how about that Zombie Max...lol...just in case but seriously...what is your take?
Airhasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:47   #13
DScottHewitt
EMT-B
 
DScottHewitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Waynesboro, VA
Posts: 29,252
Send a message via AIM to DScottHewitt Send a message via Yahoo to DScottHewitt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hour13 View Post
Just want to see what you guys suggest for a good HD round in .223/5.56?

I have tons of M855 on hand, but hardly what I'd want to fire off in my house should the need arise. "Barrier Penetrator" ammo is hardly ideal for my neighbors, lol.

And... noise. With the layout of my house, in a HD situation, I'd likely end up firing from my rather narrow hallway, towards front of house. Being that donning ear protection isn't very likely, and suppressors are not an option, low/minimal noise levels would be ideal. The ears I have are my only pair!

So minimal noise, light grain, and soft/hollow-point, any suggestions?

Sorry if this should be in caliber corner, it is specifically for my ARs though!
Supposedly, M193 and M855 break up in drywall and other wall construction materials.
__________________
Dear Lord, Thank You for guiding me straight and true through the many obstacles in my path. Thank You for any good that I may have done, I'm so sorry about the bad.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DScottHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:09   #14
bmoore
Senior Member
 
bmoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Under a regime.
Posts: 4,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselNut View Post
Getcha some Zombie Max.
Vmax with a different color polymer tip.
__________________
RIP Okie
bmoore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:19   #15
WoodenPlank
Who?
 
WoodenPlank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 7,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by DScottHewitt View Post
Supposedly, M193 and M855 break up in drywall and other wall construction materials.
M193 will after a couple of walls, assuming those walls are spaced per normal room dimensions, and not 10 layers of drywall in a box to "simulate" 5 walls. Both will likely tumber after striking an interior wall, and that tumbling will either cause them to begin to break up, or at least start losing velocity very quickly.

M855 is generally a bad idea for HD. It's notorious for not consistently fragmenting, and for not tumbling enough to fragment until it has completely exited a BG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhasz View Post
Plank, how about that Zombie Max...lol...just in case but seriously...what is your take?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoore View Post
Vmax with a different color polymer tip.
This, and a big fat warning on the box that says "Not for use on humans."

Yeah, I can imagine how good THAT would look in court when you used it to shoot someone in self defense.
__________________
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 14:15   #16
Big A
Herr Trigger
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 1,539
My Stag has a 1:9 twist rate so I have two mags of 60gr Hornady TAP...

I keep a few loaded with XM193 close by as wel but my AR is not my go to for home defense, My Glock 23 is.
__________________
G17L G17 G19 G23 G26

"I don't want to be a product of my enviroment, I want my enviroment to be a product of me."
Friends don't let friends buy .45GAP
Big A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 18:23   #17
.50 cal
Senior Member
 
.50 cal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Both are excellent choices, actually. I'd love to get my hands on a good stock of the 70 grain TSX loads, but the few companies making brown tip clones are asking an arm and a leg for them. I'll happily stick with the 75gr TAP T2s in the meantime.



I wouldn't either, but I'm far more comfortable staking my life behind the 75gr TAP T2. Even the TAP FPD in 75 grain is supposed to be respectable.



If your AR can stabilize them the 75g Hornady T2s are Highly recommended, I can't find any in stock now, anyone know who has them in stock?
__________________
I like Glocks

Last edited by .50 cal; 04-11-2012 at 19:20..
.50 cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 18:50   #18
Cole125
Silver Membership
Senior Member
 
Cole125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Far West, USA
Posts: 7,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
It also can fail to penetrate deep enough to reach vitals, depending on angle. The V-Max was designed for rapid expansion in varmint animals for a quick kill, not designed for the slightly deeper penetration needed against two-legged threats.

The best ammo depends on your barrel length and twist rate. Assuming 16" barrel and no slower than a 1:9 twist, look at the 55-69 grain soft points and OTM loads. While something in the 70+ grain range is ideal, the Federal 62 grain soft point (FBI load), 55 grain Speed Gold Dot, and the Winchester Ranger 64gr soft points, or the new Mk. 318 SOST load will all perform quite well. Heck, even 55gr ball ammo will work pretty well from a 16" barrel at HD distances, although not as well through barriers. Avoid anything ballistic-tipped, as most ballistic tip loads (coughtapfpdcough) are varmint-hunting bullets repackaged as SD/HD loads.

Even though it's on the dreaded Arfcom, check out this link.
Good point. I know they are far from humans but the coyotes I have shot with V-max dropped in their tracks, and the wounds from V max are large and nasty, I would imagine it would do similar to humans.

I agree there are better options out there as you mentioned if fear of over penetration are not as great.

Last edited by Cole125; 04-11-2012 at 18:50..
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 18:52   #19
Cole125
Silver Membership
Senior Member
 
Cole125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Far West, USA
Posts: 7,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
My Stag has a 1:9 twist rate so I have two mags of 60gr Hornady TAP...

I keep a few loaded with XM193 close by as wel but my AR is not my go to for home defense, My Glock 23 is.
Same here, my first choice for inside the house HD is my Glock 19 or Mossberg 500, but if its a problem outside my house the AR is coming out.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 19:15   #20
moishlashen
Senile Member
 
moishlashen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 795
TAP also. My AR is stashed so as others have stated I have several Glocks to get me to the rifle if necessary.
moishlashen is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:58.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,121
290 Members
831 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42