Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:45   #1
XDRoX

Verizon's new LTE service...

I just ordered some LTE to play around with and to see it was really as fast as they say. Here is an initial test.
IMO, pretty fast for wireless service. I know some land lines that don't get this kind of speed.

Also in case you didn't know the new Verizon iPad is also capable of becoming a hot spot without additional charges or a jail break. I've tried it and it also works great. And fast.

Seeing this speed makes me anxious for the iPhone5.

Tech Talk
XDRoX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:47   #2
gemeinschaft
AKA Fluffy316

Send a message via AIM to gemeinschaft Send a message via Yahoo to gemeinschaft Send a message via Skype™ to gemeinschaft
Ok, so now I hate you... And?

Old 04-09-2012, 09:02   #3
HOTHEAD

When Rochester NY first activated LTE, we had a few Thunderbolts in the office for sales people. I ran a speed test and was pretty consistently getting 40 down, 30 up

At home my Road Runner is 8 down 1 up
HOTHEAD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:38   #4
gemeinschaft
AKA Fluffy316

Send a message via AIM to gemeinschaft Send a message via Yahoo to gemeinschaft Send a message via Skype™ to gemeinschaft
I am stuck with Comcast and they suck.

Eventhough my speedtest numbers sound decent 21mbps Down 3mbps Up 35ms Ping, the truth is that their service is about as reliable as electricity in a third world country.

To add to all of my service interruptions, when I run a traceroute to my office (6 miles away here in Houston), I found that I am routed through Dallas, Atlanta, Trenton and then back.

I called and spoke to them and none of the people that answer the phones even understand networking, so I told the lady - "Let's say that you work in the same city where you live, would it make sense for me to send you driving halfway across the country just to get home?"

They are Comcastic

Seriously, if Verizon LTE can provide that service with those numbers here for a decent price, I may dump Comcast, get dish and hookup to their Verizon for internet service.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-10-2012, 18:01   #5
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemeinschaft View Post
To add to all of my service interruptions, when I run a traceroute to my office (6 miles away here in Houston), I found that I am routed through Dallas, Atlanta, Trenton and then back.
Is there any guarantee any connection from Verizon, etc. will take the shortest route? My understanding (from what I've been told) is there is some sort of load balancing going on, even on standard phone lines, and the path of least resistance will be taken.

Last edited by Green_Manelishi; 04-10-2012 at 18:01..
Green_Manelishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 14:47   #6
boomhower

I'm jelous. I can't wait to get it but hope it doesn't happen until next year so I'm not tempted to pay full retail for the iPhone 5 as I am otherwise perfectly content with my 4S. My cable maxes 20mbps but 30 and 50 is available for $$$$$$.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 14:58   #7
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

MY LTE HTC Rezound comes tomorrow I plan to root and kill the bloatware and see what she does.
Old 04-13-2012, 00:16   #8
pal2511

Send a message via AIM to pal2511
I have a galaxy Nexus but unfortunately no LTE nearby. We are supposed to get 4g in the neighboring city soon that I hope will drift over this way. I'm so envious of you guys and gals. I just got 6.5mb download on my home dsl connection and I was pretty happy. Average around here for DSL is only about 1mb...It's slow as ...
pal2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 00:32   #9
Badger54
CLM Number 277
Charter Lifetime Member

I have a Thunderbolt its great its by far the fastest phone I have ever had. I love the mobile hotspot feature.
Badger54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:58   #10
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

@Swatbwana, You're going to love the Rezound. Very nice bit of kit. I went back and forth between it, the Razr, and the Nexus. My hand was forced by the old DInc taking a swim. :( It turned out well. ICS is nice, but the app support isn't totally there and the hardware on the Nexus isn't as good as the Rezound.

I just ran concurrent tests to the same server, Verizon LTE 128ms ping, 17.4 Mbps Down, 5.04 up. Roadrunner cable 76ms, 6.05 Down, 0.75 up. Roadrunner FAIL. Although, FWIW, pages don't seem to load any faster on my phone.

That which does not kill you has made a tactical error. --Tayler
Bushflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 16:14   #11
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushflyr View Post
@Swatbwana, You're going to love the Rezound. Very nice bit of kit. I went back and forth between it, the Razr, and the Nexus. My hand was forced by the old DInc taking a swim. :( It turned out well. ICS is nice, but the app support isn't totally there and the hardware on the Nexus isn't as good as the Rezound.

I just ran concurrent tests to the same server, Verizon LTE 128ms ping, 17.4 Mbps Down, 5.04 up. Roadrunner cable 76ms, 6.05 Down, 0.75 up. Roadrunner FAIL. Although, FWIW, pages don't seem to load any faster on my phone.
Posting from it now nice phone.. will be rooting Sunday. I replaced the stock battery with an 18ooo mah and get over 12 hours of heavy use so far battery is same size as stock...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 04-14-2012, 20:18   #12
EAJuggalo

Send a message via AIM to EAJuggalo Send a message via Yahoo to EAJuggalo

My understanding is that nothing from Apple has LTE in it.
Updated 3-22-13
EAJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote