SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-07-2012, 15:22   #1
okie
GT Mayor

3D my assessment!

Here in lies my assessment of 3D movies. I just watched my first 3D movie, Titanic with, Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet. I'm not sure what to think, Titanic wasn't filmed with a 3D camera, but later converted to 3D. Through most of the movie I could tell a difference if I took my 3D glasses off, parts then looked like you had double vision, and in parts of the film you could tell a difference on the people, but only in parts of the movie. Even in the 3D previews there wasn't a huge difference, people told me that 3D was awesome and that things would jump out at you and it would look like it was going to hit you, I saw none of that. I will have to go see a 3D movie that was actually filed with a 3D cam and see how that is. Well for what it's worth this is my assessment of Titanic 3D, I did enjoy the movie though, but I won't tell you how it ends, I don't want to spoil it for you
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 15:47   #2
686Owner
NRA Life Member

I saw a 3D movie or 2 at Kennedy Space Center. There were a couple of pretty cool parts where it looked like a rocket was actually coming out of the screen and another with M&Ms flying around the space station. Kinda neat, but I wouldn't pay extra for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
686Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 15:51   #3
Ruggles

Best 3D effects I have ever seen in a movie (and I have seen 12-14 3d movies that were not animated) was in a animated movie of all things. Odd. I prefer 2D and rarely go to 3D movies any longer. I will go see Titanic in 3D
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 16:44   #4
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie View Post
Here in lies my assessment of 3D movies. I just watched my first 3D movie, Titanic with, Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet. I'm not sure what to think, Titanic wasn't filmed with a 3D camera, but later converted to 3D. Through most of the movie I could tell a difference if I took my 3D glasses off, parts then looked like you had double vision, and in parts of the film you could tell a difference on the people, but only in parts of the movie. Even in the 3D previews there wasn't a huge difference, people told me that 3D was awesome and that things would jump out at you and it would look like it was going to hit you, I saw none of that. I will have to go see a 3D movie that was actually filed with a 3D cam and see how that is. Well for what it's worth this is my assessment of Titanic 3D, I did enjoy the movie though, but I won't tell you how it ends, I don't want to spoil it for you
Coupla things here, but first, a caveat: I don't like the new 3D craze. Everything doesn't need to be 3D. Avatar was successful with it, but it doesn't need to be on every damn film out there.

That said:

If you want a 3D experience, make sure you watch a movie that was filmed in 3D, not just converted. It really, REALLY does make a difference.

You may need to adjust where you sit in the theatre. Normally, in stadium-seat theatres, I sit against the back wall, right under the projector. This is mostly so I don't have people behind me being a-holes. I sat like this when I took my kid (yeah, right....he rode along with me!) to see Tron: Legacy and I just wasn't blown away by the 3D like I thought I would be. But when I went to see Avatar, it was in a "flat" auditorium (sloped, not stadium), and the back row feels a million miles away, so we sat about half-way up. With the screen filling your vision, the sides at the edge of your vision, it REALLY works well. In the scene with the fire, I found myself once waving with the ash because I thought it was dust in the air....

....and yes, I felt appropriately stupid for doing so.

3D CAN be effective, but it's just an over-used gimmick right now.
Old 04-07-2012, 18:33   #5
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

I haven't seen any 3d movies at home, or in the theater for that matter.
I did see one at the Kalamazoo Air Zoo museum though, that was awesome.

It took you through start up on a B17, to a bombing run. This was probably first gen tech of what is normal nowadays, but still realistic. When the engines fired you got blasted with with prop wash. When she turned for take off you got the wing come right out in your face.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 18:36   #6
DoubleWide

Haven't seen Titanic 3D and won't but there'sprobably better 3D movies.

Avatar due to the CGI and lack of throwing things at the screen.
Wrath of the Titans is pretty good in 3D. The movie is better than the first. The 3D is very good. They tended to overdue the fire sparks floating around.
DoubleWide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 18:40   #7
USMCsilver
Boat Life ©

Send a message via AIM to USMCsilver Send a message via Yahoo to USMCsilver
Last one I saw was Avatar in IMAX 3D and it was freakin' awesome!

I'm a fan -- through, and through. (However, I'll never own a 3D home set.)

"Kiss my ass, I bought a boat! I'm goin' out to sea..." (Jimmy Buffett covering Lovett)
USMCsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 18:50   #8
Green70

Green70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 18:54   #9
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie View Post
............, but I won't tell you how it ends, I don't want to spoil it for you
The boat sinks.....

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 18:56   #10
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green70 View Post
Guess I'll have to wait for the rerelease in 15 years or so. Never seen it.

686Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 19:28   #11
okie
GT Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
The boat sinks.....

Oh my you've went and done it sweetheart, you gave away the ending
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:54   #12
ATL Peach Girl
♥Meezers♥

I just got in from seeing Titanic in 3D.......the late, late show, ended at 2:15am.

It was ok, but by hour 2 I was tired of sitting......LONG show!!

15 bucks for the 3D experience for me and my friend...he said "that was better 15 years ago when we saw it for the first time".....I agree.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:41   #13
Gareth68

Send a message via Yahoo to Gareth68

I saw Comin' at Ya! in the theater in 1981.

Great over the top demonstration of 3d effects.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082193/reviews