SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 07:23   #1
ashecht

Hyatt Gun Shop Charlotte NC Rant-long

My son wanted NS on his Beretta PX4. Wants them today. Calls Hyatt, and clerk says yes we have them, $125 installed and they can do it immediately. So off we go. We get there, the place is a zoo. Finally speak to a clerk, and they know nothing. Next up is Larry Hyatt, the owner. He starts in on how hard it is to put sights on this gun, yada, yada. He thinks he is speaking to another idiot who knows nothing about guns. Tells me its gonna cost an additional $50 to install, and wont be done till tommorrow. Tells us he will give my son a $25 gift cert(there is NOTHING in that store for $25) and that he should buy some ammo with it. My son jokingly says that Walmart is much cheaper for ammo(like $5/box cheaper). Mr Hyatt then begins to throw a hissy fit like a 5 year old, "dont mention Walmart in this full service gun shop", "I try to make a deal with you people and this is what I get", etc, etc. Takes the ticket and tears it up, walks away mumbling. He offers me $20 for my gas, and I tell him exactly what he can do with his $20. Unbelievable scene. For those of you in NC, this is why I never go there. Prices are obscene, customer service is non existent. All they want as customers are idiots who dont realize that they are literally being raped with every purchase, while having someone blow smoke up their a***. My opinion, NEVER NEVER NEVER go there, unless you want to pay $19 for the same Fed ammo that Walmart sells for $11.97. If you dont want to hear about your competition, then perhaps you should do something about it.
Ruger SR1911 Commander
Colt LE6920
Old 04-07-2012, 07:31   #2
DeLo

I got a long gun from them off gunbroker, condition was not as stated and they sent it with minimal care. Just threw it in a box and put one layer of plastic on it. It came and the front and rear sights were snapped off and it had a huge scratch as well as a damaged crown. They said there was nothing they could do about the crown and it took them 3 weeks to send out the new iron sights. We I gave them a C rating on GB they flipped out and emailed me almost immediately. I hate shops like these. The shop in Florida Shoot Straight is the same BS business model. Price high, low customer service and F* U where is my money.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:35   #3
Sheepdog Scout
Behind you!

Sounds like a shop in my town. Difference there is he has by far the best prices in town. And that's how he stays in business. There are plenty who don't care as long as they get a deal or just don't know. He'll sell you whatever, but he talk bad about it while doing it. He loves to throw out horrible information. He whines and complains to the news. Whenever the "news'' stations what someone to say something bad about gun owners, they go to him.

Just how it is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:02   #4
Cambo

This is the norm, not the exception, when it comes to gunshops.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:16   #5
WiskyT
Malcontent

I went to Hyatt's 8 years ago when I first moved down here just to browse. The prices blew my mind. I spent about 5 minutes walking around with my jaw on the floor and walked out. I haven't been back since.

I have bought a gun from Firepower and have checked some of their prices and thought they were close to internet sights like Bud's. The employees might be typical gun store goofy types, but their prices are good and they made good on my wife's KT P32 when it had to go back several times to get it to run. They weren't happy about it, but they did take care of all the shipping and dealing with KT.

I found good prices on limited selection (police oriented) stuff at Lawmen on Clanton Rd. (exit & on I77). Streicher's is right across I77 and is worht looking through as well for police guns and gear.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
Old 04-07-2012, 11:21   #6
alabaster
Swollen Member

Sorry dude mishandled you.

As a small business owner, I don't wanna hear about Wally World either. If you want $11 a box ammo, you know where it's at. If you want personal attention and someone to cater to your individual needs/wants, I'm easy to find. I won't even buy a pack of gum from Wal Mart. I'm one of those "Big Store" haters. I think they do too much damage to us a small, independent business owners. Still, if we want to keep people away from Wal Mart, we have to offer something they don't. If all we intend to compete against them with is price, we're DOOMED.

Sorry, threadjack over.....

There is another shop in our area(NOVA) that has GREAT customer service and prices. Virginia Arms in Manassas. Even though I run my own business now, I still buy things there once a month, anyways. The guys that work there are all educated and courteous, and I've known them since I was a teenager. My family and I have gone there FOREVER it seems, and I think we always will. Good people are good people. It takes the sting away when you know someone actually cares about your return business, not just making one big hit now and not caring about you ever coming back.

Last edited by alabaster; 04-07-2012 at 11:29..
Old 04-07-2012, 13:01   #7
Navitimer

I live about 30 minutes from Hyatt's and agree they're terrible. Prices are unbelievably high, and their sales staff hasn't a clue about anything. They sell guns for above-MSRP pricing. If you look, they don't disclose MSRP, they list "market price" which is a number I'm fairly certain they create, then price it a little under that amount, and try to deceive you into thinking you're getting a fair deal by saying you're saving X% over "market price." I understand its his own store and he can sell stuff for whatever prices he wants to, but at the same time I think they take advantage of folks. I couldn't sleep at night knowing I was screwing folks like that. I've also met the clown that handles their internet sales, and he's a complete DB. I also agree with the OP that Firepower has fairly reasonable prices, and their staff is much more friendly.
Old 04-07-2012, 13:05   #8
firefighter4215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambo View Post
This is the norm, not the exception, when it comes to gunshops.
This is unfortunately true. I've seen one exception, but it was a small outfit in a hardware store in Ohio.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 04-07-2012, 13:42   #9
ashecht

I don't begrudge anyone trying to make a profit. When I go to the range, I have no issues paying 2 or 3 bucks more for the convenience but when u start charging 75% more then that jus gouging. Oh well I just won't go there!
Ruger SR1911 Commander
Colt LE6920
Old 04-07-2012, 13:51   #10
Kurly

I agree. Hyatt's is a rip-off and some of the weekend staff they have there are complete idiots. I live here in Charlotte and I've only purchased on gun from them (I have 19).

At the time I didn't know any better, but they charged me like $10 extra for the "Brady Bill" that they're 'required' to collect. I paid full list price and then got further raped by buying some self-defense ammo with it.

I'll never go back there again unless it's to look at something before I buy it elsewhere.
Old 04-07-2012, 14:02   #11
cpham9006

You have to do your research before you go into any gunstore....I bought all my guns from Hyatts because of one thing..They have the best prices in town and have the most in stock. You are an idiot if you pay floor price when you can easily go on there website and they have guns marked 100-200 dollars cheaper on there website.

Go in there, ask for the online price...they might give throw u some BS and you tell them you will walk if you dont get the online price...I did that with all 3 of my guns..I got my G19Gen4 for 540. XD40SC two tone for 515. Kahr CM9 for 400...

Everything else at that store..a ripoff! seems like you can only bargain with there guns if they are posted on there website.
Old 04-07-2012, 15:46   #12
TalkToTheGlock
Zombie Hunter

Eds sport shop is my favorite place to go in my area. They charge usually $20 or $30 bucks more for a firearm and won't really budge on orice, BUT, they are the nicest people you ever want to meet. Mostly family works there. The father is a nice elderly man and his wife is the magazine queen! Everytime I go there I get prompt service and always have a good conversation. Their magazines and ammo are some of the cheapest around.

There is another store which I won't mention where I used to shop frequently. The two guys are nasty and won't help worth a darn. If you try talking to them they give you the cold shoulder. I gave them a lot of business and turned about five or six guys their way.

Eds will continue to get my business.

iPhone 4
Old 04-07-2012, 20:40   #13
Navitimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurly View Post
I'll never go back there again unless it's to look at something before I buy it elsewhere.
That's the only reason I go there too - just to handle and dry fire guns that I end up buying from Gunbroker or other reasonably priced options. You're right - they do have a sign up with the "Brady Bill" charge - so they screw you twice. And don't even think about buying ammo there - you'd think that lead, brass and copper are prescious metals! They funny thing is I honestly don't think that some of their sales staff know how terrible their prices are. You ask them how much they can cut off the price, and they think it's insulting. I told one clown that their "market price" is not equivalent to MSRP, and I don't think he understood. I mean it's really unbelivable. Not 100% positive, but I think their standard Glock price (no night sights - just standard models) is around $600. Thanks for letting me play with what I want to buy, but I'm willing to wait another day for shipping and save off of that ridiculous price!!
Old 04-08-2012, 07:40   #14
oldsoldier

I guess we're fortunate that we have an excellent shop in my area. I buy all of my guns and some other stuff at Smokey Acres Trading Company in St. James, MO. He charges 10% over his cost on guns up to a limit and will show you his cost before you buy. It's rare to deal witih anyone but the owner who is very knowledgeable. He will not screw anyone. He does charge a little more for ammo but he cannot sell ammo at Walmart prices and stay in business. I handload all of my ammo and his primer and powder prices aren't bad. They are the same price as buying on line when I add in the hazmat and shipping fee unless I buy in VERY large bulk. It's a real shame that some business owners just don't get it when it comes to customer service.

Last edited by oldsoldier; 04-08-2012 at 07:41..
Old 04-08-2012, 07:58   #15
ashecht

The more I read everyone's replies, the more incensed I get about how we were treated there. I feel like going on a one man crusade against this place. I wish there was a way to educate people before they walk in there.
Ruger SR1911 Commander
Colt LE6920
Old 04-08-2012, 09:16   #16
MLittle

I live in Texas, so haven't been to Hyatt's storefront. But.....I did order a Colt Single Action from them last year and it was competitively priced and they kept me advised of the delivery date (had to be ordered from Colt). I have no complaints about their service or their pricing on my one purchase. You may be able to buy a weapon from Bud's cheaper, but I get the feeling that Hyatt has a larger inventory.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:31   #17
arrtvandelay

i live right outside of charlotte, nc, and i bought my first gun (a g19) from hyatts last yr. my experience wasn't too bad b/c i looked at the prices online before actually buying the gun.

i was initially going to purchase a s&W 9mm sigma (i didn't know much then) for over $400. i put the gun on lawaway and left to do some research. i found the sigma for less than $300 online. instore, a g19 was priced right at $600, but online it was $499, i basically thought wtf?

even being a noob then, i knew that the glock was a higher quality firearm. i went back the next day, got them to change my layaway from the sigma to the glock (after losing $10 of my deposit for their "inconvenience"), and the rest is history.

i got the glock, at what i think was a pretty decent local price. i've since however, resorted to buying any other guns from buds or a similar online dealer. i just can't stand the nc sales tax.

i do agree with one of the previous posters-go to hyatts to fondle the guns you're interested in (they do really have a great selection) and buy online...

Last edited by arrtvandelay; 04-08-2012 at 09:32..
Old 04-08-2012, 09:33   #18
redbrd

Most gun stores kinda suck. I don't mind paying for good service, and am very loyal when I find a dealer I like. They lie to me one time I am done with them.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:03   #19
RUT

I bought a minty Browning .410 O/U from them a couple of years ago via Gunbroker, and I can't say as I had a bad experience at all. The sales person was cordial and they did a nice job of packing and timely shipping. Guess I was one of the luck ones.
Ham Shack #11 (K1HS)
NRA since '63
USMC
"Foreign Aid: The transfer of money from poor people in rich countries to rich people in poor countries."
Old 04-08-2012, 13:03   #20
gators096

Send a message via AIM to gators096
I had something very close to this happen to me at a local gunshop. I had a Ruger SR556 rifle i wanted to sell, called this shop (East Coast Firearms in Summerville SC) and just ask a "ballpark" range before i loaded up to drive 20 mins to get there with my child. If we were close then i would drive. Guy was very nice on the phone, gave me a range and I assured him i understood what a range meant. SO I loaded up and went, asked for this person and he took the gun back to the "manager" and came back and said sorry were not interested. That this gun would be harder for them to turn due to it being a more expensive rifle and piston driven. I wanted to say " you knew that before i drove my ass over here" but I didnt. I just took my rilfe up the road to another gunshop (ATP in Summerville SC) and sold it for what i was looking to get. The people at East Coast on their ad says that they have a wide selection, which in reality they do not have much inventory at all. Do yourself a favor, if your thinking about going there, i would not waste my time. I would keep driving about 2 more miles and turn right. As most reviews state about this shop, they are friendly i will agree to that but they suck in just about every area other than that.

Closed Thread