SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-07-2012, 23:19   #61
Cav

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpoprofessor View Post
How 'bout we have a thread where cops resign if they feel they've taken so much crap they feel they have to violate the rights of others. Last I remember, the 1st amemdment protects speech some people don't like.

Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
I think our Founding Fathers expected people to be civil. They did not want to punish those that properly address the Government with grievances. Its not the freedom to say what ever, to who ever, when ever.

While local government can be addressed, the side of the road is not the time nor the place to interfear with the duties of a Peace Officer. You can be a man, and and show up at the PD, or go to City Hall.

But are the police equal to the Government? Or is the Goverment set elected or appointed officals? Can you go up to the USSS/FBI/CIA/DEA/ATF/USMS/DOJ and just start calling them names and expect it to be protected by the 1st Amendment?

My job is to keep the peace. If your yelling at an officer on a traffic stop, you are disturbing the peace and taking away from the person I have stopped or am dealing with. They might not like that.

Just as the 2nd Amendment has limits, so does the 1st Amendment. I know, most dont learn it in school. Its o.k. you can learn it on the side of the road, in a jail, and in a court of law via due process.
Old 04-07-2012, 23:29   #62
Wil Ufgood
CLM Number 263
GTDS #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotIt View Post
reckless (ˈrɛklɪs)

— adj
having or showing no regard for danger or consequences; heedless; rash: a reckless driver ; a reckless attempt
jerk´off
a. 1. A lazy, foolish, stupid, or otherwise contemptible person; - an offensive and disparaging term.
Old 04-07-2012, 23:31   #63
msu_grad_121
BOOSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Yeah, Clyde, you're fine with the verbal abuse of law enforcement, and you're proud of it. But let one of them tell you to **** off, that wouldn't sit well, would it?
Quoted for truth.

Just remember, you can't debate someone whose mind is closed. Clyde and Sgt Hatred have minds (I mean, I ASSUME they have minds, but who knows?) that are completely closed. This case is obviously a caes of "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes."

Clyde, Hatred, what that phrase means is, when you act like a moron, people are going to treat you like a moron. That means the idiot driver who decided to call attention to himself in a negative way by his inability to keep his noisehole shut, and that means your nonsensical BS ranting in here.

Have a so-so hankerchief wielding who-flung-do day!
Old 04-08-2012, 00:32   #64
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
Eh, they will come to terms with reality some day. Well, ... maybe they will. But, I don't know.
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:09   #65
Lord Grey Boots

He acted in a manner to draw the OP's attention to him. That resulted in the the officer noticing the vehicle safety infraction (broken window). If he didn't want the officer to notice the window, why did he yell at the officer?
Old 04-08-2012, 03:33   #66
Sendarr

What if his windshield weren't broken, he was sober, no record, etc, etc? Just curious. This question is for the OP, not trying to open up a flame-fest.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Sendarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:34   #67
Sharky7
Boomshakalaka

Quote:
How 'bout we have a thread where cops resign if they feel they've taken so much crap they feel they have to violate the rights of others. Last I remember, the 1st amemdment protects speech some people don't

Clyde
Motorist was stopped for a vehicle code violation and was issued a ticket. Where was his "rights" violated?
Sharky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:48   #68
msu_grad_121
BOOSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendarr View Post
What if his windshield weren't broken, he was sober, no record, etc, etc? Just curious. This question is for the OP, not trying to open up a flame-fest.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
In the theoretical world where the car was fully compliant with the statutory MVC, and the driver in no way, shape or form committed any sort of violation, I know I wouldn't have initiated a stop, and I'd be willing to bet the OP wouldn't, either.

Of course, as I said earlier, the MVC of MI (the one with which I am most familiar) has literally hundreds if not thousands of potential violations spelled out. I've never needed to make something up in order to stop a car. Believe me, you and I both commit dozens of infractions every minute we are behind the wheel, and I'm 100% certain this idiot did, too.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:51   #69
msu_grad_121
BOOSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky7 View Post
Motorist was stopped for a vehicle code violation and was issued a ticket. Where was his "rights" violated?
The OP obviously violated this persons' right to be a moron in public and be free from the consequences. Unfortunately, spending a lot of time in GnG and C/I forums with cheerleaders like Clyde to misinform you what the police can and can't do will lead to you believe that you actually DO have this right...
Old 04-08-2012, 04:29   #70
kenpoprofessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Why do you even post in Cop Talk, Clyde? The forum you want is down the hall - Civil Liberties Issues.

I post here simply because it comes up in the new threads. So, you don't like me posting here because I disagree with how cops think? I'm not the one posting the stories, I'm just giving my opinion of them. I'm certainly not rooting for the bad guys, I'm just expressing my opinion on how I see things.

All the OP has done is reinforced the guy's "cop hating" attitude, it won't change, and will probably exacerbate it. Had he ignored the guy, or as was also suggested, blown a kiss, the guy may just come to his senses and think wow, they're not all as bad as I think are they?

Was the guy really breaking the law with a cracked windscreen? Last I knew, traffic code violations are civil and not criminal

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde
Old 04-08-2012, 04:53   #71
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
How 'bout we have a thread where cops resign if they feel they've taken so much crap they feel they have to violate the rights of others. Last I remember, the 1st amemdment protects speech some people don't like.
In Whren v. United States, the Supreme Court upheld so called "pretext" traffic stops. In other words, as long as there was a violation to stop for, any ulterior motive that the officer may have had is immaterial. I made my previous post based on the absence of the mention of the cracked windshield in the original post.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:01   #72
4949shooter

Quote:
Was the guy really breaking the law with a cracked windscreen? Last I knew, traffic code violations are civil and not criminal

Clyde
The answer to your question is YES. The motorist with the cracked windshield was breaking motor vehicle laws. These laws are to be differentiated from criminal laws, however they are laws nonetheless, and give the officer legal probable cause to conduct a motor vehicle stop and issue a citation for same.

Edit: Your comparison to criminal code is invalid in this case, due to the fact that no criminal arrest was made.

Last edited by 4949shooter; 04-08-2012 at 05:02..
4949shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:04   #73
wprebeck
Got quacks?

Quote:
I post here simply because it comes up in the new threads. So, you don't like me posting here because I disagree with how cops think? I'm not the one posting the stories, I'm just giving my opinion of them. I'm certainly not rooting for the bad guys, I'm just expressing my opinion on how I see things.

All the OP has done is reinforced the guy's "cop hating" attitude, it won't change, and will probably exacerbate it. Had he ignored the guy, or as was also suggested, blown a kiss, the guy may just come to his senses and think wow, they're not all as bad as I think are they?

Clyde
Do you live in the same state as the OP? Or, do you know the laws of every single state in the union? Because you're sure as **** wrong on the traffic laws of my state, so how about you let those of us who DO the job....well, DO it. Roadside/jailhouse lawyers irritate me, and I generally charge them with as much as I can. Its my way of helping their legal education.

And, yes, both moving and equipment violations are criminal offenses in this state. Sorry for your luck. Further, when someone goes out of their way to get my attention like that, I happily give it to them. Last guy that did it went to jail for the warrant he had - guess he shouldn't have tried to act all tough for his buddies.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:12   #74
kenpoprofessor

What I see in this thread is this.

There are some who don't have this attitude, glad those are the ones I know.

Clyde
Old 04-08-2012, 06:21   #75
Lampshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grey Boots View Post
He acted in a manner to draw the OP's attention to him. That resulted in the the officer noticing the vehicle safety infraction (broken window). If he didn't want the officer to notice the window, why did he yell at the officer?
Probably to get a sense of self satisfaction.

I mean... really dude?
Lampshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:23   #76
Lampshade

Quote:
What I see in this thread is this....
You may choose to question the officer's personal motivations in following and pulling over the driver, as I do, but there really hasn't been anything said to suggest that the stop lacked legal justification.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:24   #77
4949shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampshade View Post
You may choose to question the officer's personal motivations in following and pulling over the driver, as I do, but there really hasn't been anything said to suggest that the stop lacked legal justification.
Bingo. We have a winner!
Old 04-08-2012, 06:51   #78
kenpoprofessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampshade View Post
Did I once ever question that? I do think traffic code violations are different from laws however. Doesn't change my opinion on what I see, especially with the other link I posted.

Clyde
Old 04-08-2012, 07:02   #79
Lampshade

Quote:
Did I once ever question that?
The following posts would seem to me to suggest that you are questioning the legitimacy of the stop.....

Quote:
So, you pull him over with what PC?
Quote:
How 'bout we have a thread where cops resign if they feel they've taken so much crap they feel they have to violate the rights of others.
Quote:
What I see in this thread is this.

I AM THE LAW! - YouTube

But I guess you may just be generally bloviating. I'll take you at your word if you say you are.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:03   #80
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quoted for posterity.
Quote:
Did I once ever question that? I do think traffic code violations are different from laws however. Doesn't change my opinion on what I see, especially with the other link I posted.

Clyde

Sent using Tapatalk

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote