Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:54   #26
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmac45 View Post
My record for a single stop was 23 summonses. All issued to the same *********.

He kept talking and I kept writing.

Sometimes the pen IS mightier than the sword.
Quoted for the truth.
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:58   #27
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

You know it is amazing how they carry over that behaviour into prison. And, then there are those who seem to carry that attitude right back to the streets; commit more felonies; and come right on back. I figure if they hated cops so much they would not be verbally poking the cop, and going on with life. But, no.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:59   #28
4949shooter

As long as there is a valid law violation under the motor vehicle statutes of the state, then the stop is a valid one.

Or....as OfficerX stated, if there is reasonable suspicion then a motor vehicle stop can be conducted as well.

The OP said the motorist was cited. It might be pretty stupid to yell obsenities at the police when you have, say, a cracked windshield.

What was the violation he was cited for?
Old 04-07-2012, 09:25   #29
taco101
Son o the hound

My FTO told me way back when, "just because you can do it doesn't mean you should."

Wave and smile. Pisses them off much worse thinking they didn't get your attention.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:02   #30
arcanetripwire
I'm 10-8

PC for the stop was defective equipment, as there was a giant spiderweb crack in this guys windshield. The guy had a clean record with only a few citations in his driving history. He simply hated cops for whatever reason. Which is fine, I certainly didn't get into this career to win any popularity contests.

As far as putting myself in harms way, that happens every time I engage my emergency equipment to conduct a traffic stop. That is why we always maintain the highest level of OS.

I look at it this way, this was a situation where this gentleman wanted to draw the attention of the police, so he yells at a cop on a traffic stop. He just happened to do so driving a car with equipment violations.
arcanetripwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:08   #31
4949shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanetripwire View Post
I look at it this way, this was a situation where this gentleman wanted to draw the attention of the police, so he yells at a cop on a traffic stop. He just happened to do so driving a car with equipment violations.
I guess he won't be winning any Darwin awards.

What did Forest Gump say? Stupid is as stupid does.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:24   #32
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

I hope you 'roughed him up' a little, and threatened pull out your glock 40 and blast him a few times.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:26   #33
msu_grad_121
BOOSH

Quote:
As far as putting myself in harms way, that happens every time I engage my emergency equipment to conduct a traffic stop. That is why we always maintain the highest level of OS.
This. But then again, kenpoprofessor knows better than all of us, just ask him, he'll be more than willing to tell you.

Was the making the stop as mature as could be? No, but tell me everyone here always takes the high road and has never chosen to meet these idiots on their level and I'd be more than willing to join those calling the OP's stop BS or whatever. I happen to be sitting next to a copy of MI's MVC and let me tell you, it's 3 inches thick in very small print, so I doubt the OP made up a reason to conduct the stop. And as the SCOTUS has ruled that pretext stops are fine, I don't see what the OP did was legally or even morally wrong. Again, not the most mature way to handle it, but on the other hand, maybe this mook will think twice before pulling the same thing next time.

Of course, in kenpo's fictitious world, he just needed to get it out of his system, and the next time he saw a traffic stop being conducted, he would drive by and wave and smile and thank the offiver for keeping him and his loved ones safe. Meanwhile, in reality, not addressing that behavior only encourages it. Hopefully idiot child learned a lesson out of this and will keep his opinions of other professions to himself next time.

Personally, I'm glad you wrote him a skid. Waving and smiling or a snarky comeback is excellent, too, but I've got zero problems with this idiot getting sprayed in the face when he's the one that shook the bottle up and and opened it.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:32   #34
Wil Ufgood
CLM Number 263
GTDS #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpoprofessor View Post
So, you pull him over with what PC? And yes, you did pull him over to harass him, you just admitted you wanted to "talk to him". Maybe, just maybe, you might have changed his opinion had you not pulled him over and out of his vehicle or cited him, and instead, just left him alone.

You realize that you intentionally put yourself in harm's way doing what you did right?

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

Cop Talk

Last edited by Wil Ufgood; 04-07-2012 at 10:37..
Wil Ufgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:40   #35
porschedog

I know someone who does the same thing - yells at cops

Yes, I think he is a dumbass for doing so and have shared that opinion with him.

Here's my plan for when he does get pulled over : start yelling as the LEO approaches the vehicle, "Help me officer! He kidnapped me! He touched me in my private place! He says he won't be taken alive! He has a bomb hidden on him where he thinks you'll never find it!"

NRA Life Member / Creepy-Ass Cracker
Florida Glockers #172126
porschedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:41   #36
Denied
NRA Member

When a driver takes their eyes off the road to yell out a window or make gestures that falls under failure to maintain control or even wreck-less driving. Have written it on several occasions and never had it rejected in court.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:55   #37
GRIMLET
Deceased

Back when I was new.... I had a vehicle near miss me one evening. The passenger attempted to communicate with me. Apparently, he thought I was #1.
Funny thing, he had a warrant. I got home late after booking him. It was worth it. Then he didn't show for court. LOSER!

Last edited by GRIMLET; 04-07-2012 at 10:56..
GRIMLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:55   #38
Cav

Nice thing with Texas is speeding and open container are the only two violations that Peace Officers can not arrest for. And City Ord's that many dont know about.

Our local judges agree that if you curse at an officer in public, and a person other than the officer can hear it and might be offended, than its a good charge.

The way we deal with it at work is if the person is aggresive or hostile, we make a lawful stop, followed by a lawful arrest, and lawful impound of the vehicle. They they go on file with our PD for being anti-police and every dealing they have will get extra attention.

It funny to see how over the years people go from being anti-police to waving and being nice. All it takes is one to two arrests w/fines and impound fees to get people to ignore you or even respect you.

If you go looking for trouble, do not be mad when you find it, or shocked when you get the full attention you thought you wanted.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:26   #39
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpoprofessor View Post
Maybe, just maybe, you might have changed his opinion had you not pulled him over and out of his vehicle or cited him, and instead, just left him alone.
Now, seriously...how would that have changed his opinion?

How would he have known that arcanetripwire did so to change his opinion of cops?

How?

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 13:46   #40
blk69stang

My personal fave is to smile and wave back and yell "Jesus loves you!". It never fails to make the offending party's blood boil. You've seen the cartoons where the thermometer gets so hot that the mercury explodes out the top? Yeah, that's how mad it makes these a-holes. Laughing right now just thinking about the last time I used that on some idiot.

Last edited by blk69stang; 04-07-2012 at 13:47..
blk69stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 17:34   #41
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
Nice thing with Texas is we make a lawful stop, followed by a lawful arrest, and lawful impound of the vehicle. They they go on file with our PD for being anti-police and every dealing they have will get extra attention.

It funny to see how over the years people go from being anti-police to waving and being nice. All it takes is one to two arrests w/fines and impound fees to get people to ignore you or even respect you.
Haha. No wonder I never get out of a ticket. I'm an a LIST. And pretty soon I'll be waving, smiling, and respecting. Har Har Har. Does it really work that way? I'm gonna start practicing my wave and smile tomorrow.
ETA, Love you guys. Please call off the dogs. I'm only kidding.

Last edited by smokeross; 04-07-2012 at 17:36..
smokeross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 18:29   #42
Cav

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeross View Post
Haha. No wonder I never get out of a ticket. I'm an a LIST. And pretty soon I'll be waving, smiling, and respecting. Har Har Har. Does it really work that way? I'm gonna start practicing my wave and smile tomorrow.
ETA, Love you guys. Please call off the dogs. I'm only kidding.
Well we call it an Officer Safety issue. Anyone dumb enough to act like an idiot to police, might be a threat as normal people go about their lives not looking for trouble.

If you are anti police, why should we not think you might fight or harm an officer, as you are but a few steps away by starting stuff that would lead an average person to a fight.

When your momma fails, the police prevail. Being courteous to people can be a long lost art, and when parents dont teach you right, the police take over.
Old 04-07-2012, 19:07   #43
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
When your momma fails, the police prevail. Being courteous to people can be a long lost art, and when parents dont teach you right, the police take over.
A truism that does tell it like it is.
Old 04-07-2012, 20:07   #44
Lampshade

Quote:
He continually said the only reason we pulled him over was to harass him.
Well, you didn't really think he wanted to talk to you about something, right?

That's why you facetiously said the following...

"So naturally my partner and I figure this guy really wants to talk about something."

Legal justification for the stop aside, it sure seems like your intent was to give him a hard time.
Lampshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 20:39   #45
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampshade View Post

"So naturally my partner and I figure this guy really wants to talk about something."

Legal justification for the stop aside, it sure seems like your intent was to give him a hard time.
All of this talk about, "Your intent was to give him a hard time"; perhaps you would care to define that hard time you are alluding to, since you were not there to see the alleged hard time act.

I have to disagree with you on this. He was legally within his obligation to cite and write, as well as to check out motivation. However, on the flip side of the coin I see another possibility. I believe it is also possible that there are people who are not above allowing themselves to be used a as a distraction for more nefarious activities. We have it happen both behind the prison fence, and on the other side on the streets.
Old 04-07-2012, 20:48   #46
Lampshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
I have to disagree with you on this. He was legally within his obligation to cite and write, as well as to check out motivation.
I didn't say nor imply that the stop was illegal.

I am calling into question the OP's motivations in following and pulling over the motorist in the first place.

It sure seems like the intent was to inconvenience the driver, perhaps assert some authority over him.

That's not to say the cop hating driver wasn't asking for it, but let's call a spade a spade.

Last edited by Lampshade; 04-07-2012 at 20:52..
Lampshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 20:48   #47
SGT HATRED

Gotta look out for your own... But it sounds like Clyde has it right.
SGT HATRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 21:01   #48
Panzergrenadier1979
Keystone Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampshade View Post

Uh oh.... someone is having a GOTCHA! moment.

How about we start a thread where officers list all the BS that they've absorbed from ****** bags both on duty and off duty (introduced at a social gathering as "a cop" and get to hear everyone's complaints) and did NOTHING about it.

How 'bout folks root for the good guys occasionally?

Panzergrenadier1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 21:02   #49
Wil Ufgood
CLM Number 263
GTDS #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT HATRED View Post
Gotta look out for your own... But it sounds like Clyde has it right.
Cop Talk
Old 04-07-2012, 21:15   #50
SGT HATRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJ View Post
Cop Talk
Right back at ya...
SGT HATRED is offline   Reply With Quote