SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-06-2012, 18:39   #1
ColbyoneKenobie

My issue with purchasing a 1911

Ok here we go...

I want a Sig 1911 but just purchased a Gen 4 Glock 17. I know they are two different beasts, however, I want something that will go bang under stress...

I worry about the thumb safety for me, or my girlfriend, In a time of stress.

Is this a legitimate concern or is it simple enough to bypass, learn, or just keep switched off?
ColbyoneKenobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 18:42   #2
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

It will become second nature to flick off the TS,.....just takes trigger time.
faawrenchbndr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 18:54   #3
Lew-G17

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Correct, practice, practice, practice!

Lew-G17
Lew-G17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 19:13   #4
okie
GT Mayor

Quote:
This
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 19:22   #5
ColbyoneKenobie

Agreed... However, I we all hope we train enough for an emergency situation... what about our loved ones that pick up the weapon with minimal training?
ColbyoneKenobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 19:31   #6
dakrat

anyone who will be operating a firearm needs training. there is more than just pulling the trigger. hitting the bad guy vs hitting your neighbor.
Old 04-06-2012, 20:05   #7
bac1023

Quote:
Exactly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 20:40   #8
Ruggles

The frame mounted thumb safety is very second nature, very natural to operate. Now the slide mounted safety is the greatest crime against handguns in history......that is such a un-natural movement to flip those things off IMO......
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 20:46   #9
Shad Roe

I'm so used to 1911 thumb safety,I find myself flicking it off when shooting my new Glock.

It really does get to be second nature at some point.
Shad Roe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 21:23   #10
venenoindy

A lot of dry practice, the 1911 takes more training than a Glock (this is just my opinion). I would get really proficent with the Glock first then transition to the 1911 platform this is just my opinion.
venenoindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:54   #11
Jim S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakrat View Post
anyone who will be operating a firearm needs training. there is more than just pulling the trigger. hitting the bad guy vs hitting your neighbor.
This is the important thing you need to understand.
Besides that...
What if you need a gun in a hurry and all that's there is a gun with a thumb safety?
You have to be familiar with more than just the Glock type of handgun.
Whatever gun you have, it needs to be second nature to you and her.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:07   #12
crazymoose
Nonentity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColbyoneKenobie View Post
Agreed... However, I we all hope we train enough for an emergency situation... what about our loved ones that pick up the weapon with minimal training?
In a very high-stress situation, people unfamiliar with using a weapon, a handgun especially, are just as likely to hurt themselves as an attacker. If you care about those people, get them to learn how to use guns, even if it's just the very basics.

If you watch new shooters at public ranges, some of the things they do are scary- waving guns around with fingers on triggers, dangerously loose grips and poor stances, etc. Now imagine tons of adrenaline and panic thrown into the mix.

Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. Voltaire

Last edited by crazymoose; 04-07-2012 at 08:09..
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:09   #13
MD357

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColbyoneKenobie View Post
Ok here we go...

I want a Sig 1911 but just purchased a Gen 4 Glock 17. I know they are two different beasts, however, I want something that will go bang under stress...

I worry about the thumb safety for me, or my girlfriend, In a time of stress.

Is this a legitimate concern or is it simple enough to bypass, learn, or just keep switched off?
In the same sense, many people are afraid of Glocks because they don't have an external safety. With EITHER platform, take some classes and put at least 1000 rounds through the 1911 initially. This will at least get you started on getting comfy with the platform before using it for self defense.

Last edited by MD357; 04-07-2012 at 08:12..
MD357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:12   #14
fasteddie565
Combat Diver

I carry both (Glocks and 1911's) concealed. (No, not at the same time...)

I shoot both religiously, but before I leave the house, I perform a few draw strokes and a few tactical reloads to make sure I program my brain as to which pistol I am carrying.

The more good practice you have, the deeper the muscle memory becomes. Do you shoot your 1911 with your thumbs on top of the safety?

I normally steer female clients away from a 1911 if they are not going to shoot at least 1 x a month. The Glock will server her proudly. From what I have read on the Internet, you can own more than one pistol.

Last edited by fasteddie565; 04-07-2012 at 08:27..
fasteddie565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:13   #15
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

Keep the 1911 in Condition 3, rack the slide, keep your finger off the trigger and the thumb safety doesn't even come into play. If you do apply the safety then you make a mental note that the safety is now on and will need to be pushed off before you can fire. Nothing hard about that. Just takes a little practice. If you can't or won't adapt then buy a revolver.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:20   #16
fasteddie565
Combat Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN.Frank View Post
Keep the 1911 in Condition 3, rack the slide, keep your finger off the trigger and the thumb safety doesn't even come into play. If you do apply the safety then you make a mental note that the safety is now on and will need to be pushed off before you can fire. Nothing hard about that. Just takes a little practice. If you can't or won't adapt then buy a revolver.

I disagree with comment 1, wholeheartedly agree with comment 2.

You should be the master of your weapon, avoiding safety / operational features of a weapon IMHO is not a good idea. Perhaps Frank was just trying to give you an alternative.

On the revolver issue, Yes Sir! I always recommend a J or K frame for most female clients, even the Taurus revolvers are worth having. I used to recommend the Colt Detective six shots on a small frame, but had too many crap the bed and go out of timing.

Last edited by fasteddie565; 04-07-2012 at 08:20..
fasteddie565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:24   #17
Jim S.

What about a series 80 1911?
You can keep the trigger down and simply cock it as needed.
But that still requires practice and awareness.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:39   #18
MD357

Quote:
Keep the 1911 in Condition 3, rack the slide, keep your finger off the trigger and the thumb safety doesn't even come into play. If you do apply the safety then you make a mental note that the safety is now on and will need to be pushed off before you can fire. Nothing hard about that.

Just want to let the OP know that this type of carry philosophy can be very cumbersome if not dangerous unless you have trained extensively for this method. It adds a number of variables you need to be exposed to.

To me casually suggesting Condition 3 is irresponsible and shows an amount of inexperience in SD training from the person suggesting it.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:43   #19
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD357 View Post
To me casually suggesting Condition 3 is irresponsible and shows an amount of inexperience in SD training from the person suggesting it.
Once again a dig at me from you for simply trying to be helpful. I've trained in Condition 3 carry, pulling the pistol and racking the slide is second nature to me but maybe not for you. Different strokes for different folks.
I guess if a thumb safety and a 1911 are just too hard for the OP to get use to then maybe he should stick with his Glock then.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:54   #20
MD357

Quote:
Once again a dig at me from you for simply trying to be helpful. I've trained in Condition 3 carry, pulling the pistol and racking the slide is second nature to me but maybe not for you. Different strokes for different folks.
I guess if a thumb safety and a 1911 are just too hard for the OP to get use to then maybe he should stick with his Glock then.
Sorry Frank, but you aren't being helpful here and you admittedly do NOT shoot very much. Sometimes it's just best to remain quiet when you admittedly do NOT have the experience to comment for the safety of others.

Like I said, casually suggesting Carry 3 to someone new to SD is irresponsible and someone suggesting it hasn't had much time at the range in practicing SD scenarios. Otherwise, they'd see that Condition 1 is MUCH faster and safer in my book and the the teachings of many acredited instructors. All it takes is a fundamental assessment of the way the 1911 was designed.

If you're not understanding what I'm saying, then to put it bluntly, it's harder to be proficient with carry 3 than it is with carry 1. Anyone is welcome to time themselves at the range to test this theory. Not saying it can't be done, saying it takes a good amount of training. There are a LOT of people that think they are proficient out there and are not.

Last edited by MD357; 04-07-2012 at 08:59..