SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-06-2012, 18:27   #1
MNSurvival
EDC Enthusiast

This past week I've been open carrying

As the titles says, I have been carrying openly with w/ my level 2 retention serpa holster for the past 7 days. I carry a Gen 3 Glock 23 w/ pachmyr grip and tru glow night sights (green and yellow). My normal carry holster is a Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe.

I live in the heart of Minneapolis so it is funny to see the different looks I received on occasion. However for the most part nobody really says a word or seems to bother to even notice I'm carrying. Which is surprising because I have gone about my daily routines the same (grocery store, liquor store, target, home depot, gander mountain) while just openly carrying. For me it's different.. It's a new thing so to speak... as I prefer concealment, but it's nice to mix it up once in a while. I had one person who asked me if I was an undercover police officer lol.

Anyways I just wanted to share that and also get feedback from others on their experiences from carrying concealed or openly.

-Alex

Last edited by MNSurvival; 04-06-2012 at 18:28..
MNSurvival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 19:22   #2
257 roberts

its not allowed in Fla. but I wouldn't do it anyway( I don't want anyone to know I have a gun till its time)
257 roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 22:40   #3
Ford302Glock21
Chrome Horsie

Send a message via AIM to Ford302Glock21 Send a message via Yahoo to Ford302Glock21

It is legal in florida under certain circumstances which I believe are on your way to and from hunting, fishing, and camping. I have not had the oppertunity yet but I would like to try it. I think I would be pretty wierded out walking through a store or mall though. In most typical activities I would prefer to keep the upper hand concealed. Just walking around your own property or doing outdoors stuff I think it would be cool

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Ford302Glock21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 23:59   #4
CajunBass

Send a message via AIM to CajunBass
That's been my experience here in central Virginia also.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
CajunBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 00:07   #5
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

Kansas is an open carry state, but what I've found it depends on the county. I've kinda treaded the waters so to speak but can't find my local county laws. In the end I prefer concealed.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

8-Ball
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 00:08   #6
glock2740
Gun lover.

I prefer concealed carry. I like the "surprise factor".
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:34   #7
redrick

If we scare enough people by open carrying our pistols, we will soon start seeing businesses posting no firearms allowed signs at their doors and lawmakers passing tougher laws on carrying a firearm.
redrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:53   #8
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

THANK YOU FOR NOT LIVING IN PENNSYLVANIA!

(The moms, dads, and their children are already terrified enough.)
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:33   #9
hogship
It's MY Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrick View Post
If we scare enough people by open carrying our pistols, we will soon start seeing businesses posting no firearms allowed signs at their doors and lawmakers passing tougher laws on carrying a firearm.
This is probably true, and would be the initial "knee-jerk" reaction......but, the crime rate would likely drop.

There is a big advantage to reminding the bad guys there is a price to pay for bad behavior....... because "an armed society is a polite society". I really do believe that is true.

You know there was another time when it was commonplace to see armed citizens. Nobody gave it much of a thought. It's unrealistic to think open carry would be accectable right away, but it could transition over a period of many years......and, if it did, it would be a good thing for cleaning up our rampant criminal element.

If open carry were common, then concealed carry would be equally as common.......and, I'd be one of the latter for most of the time.

I did open carry a few times, about 30 years ago.....and, it did not go well for me. People were skepical and I didn't like the "attitude" I saw.

ooc
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:39   #10
JBnTX
JB in Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNSurvival View Post

As the titles says, I have been carrying openly with w/ my level 2 retention serpa holster for the past 7 days.
-Alex
Have you come in contact with or been seen by any LEO's
while open carrying?

If so, what was their reaction?
JBnTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:54   #11
MNSurvival
EDC Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
while open carrying?

Not yet. However sooner or later it will happen. When it does I will report on it.
MNSurvival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:06   #12
Highspeedlane
NRA Life Member

That's cool.

Back when I was a teen, my father and I would often visit Cleveland Hardware in downtown Shelby, N.C. to peruse their gun section or buy ammo.

I often went in wearing a S&W Model 10 in a hip holster. No one even gave me a second look.

Of course that was in the 70's.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:20   #13
Bob Hafler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
THANK YOU FOR NOT LIVING IN PENNSYLVANIA!
.)

+1
Sounds like he's looking for a little attention, a need to be noticed. Got to tell ya,I'm so not impressed.

Last edited by Bob Hafler; 04-07-2012 at 09:21..
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:40   #14
CajunBass

Send a message via AIM to CajunBass
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
while open carrying?

I have on a number of occasions. No reaction. Not even a mention of the firearm. If they noticed it, they didn't seem to give two hoots in a hail storm.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
CajunBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:45   #15
ArmoryDoc

Aside from all the naysayers and some parrots, I'll say this. There is nothing "wrong" per say, unless it's against the law. If you do it, do it knowing there is a much higher level of expectation for responsible and ethical behavior and creating "positive perceptions" in the minds of those you encounter. Dress well, be polite, smile, use greetings and set a most positive example of a 2nd Amendment advocate and gun owner. Without this P.R. approach you could do more damage than not.

Carry on, enjoy and do right by the rest of us gun owners. ;-)
ArmoryDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:49   #16
AA#5

Quote:
Exactly what's been happening. I hope these attention addicts think more gun laws are worth it.
AA#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:21   #17
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hafler View Post
+1

Sounds like he's looking for a little attention, a need to be noticed. Got to tell ya,I'm so not impressed.
Here's what I've got against open carry:

1. Virginia Polytechnical Institute, and Cho, Seung-Hui.

2. Luby's Cafeteria, and George Hennard.

3. Gabrielle Giffords, and Jared Loughner.

4. And dozens and dozens of other modern massacres by seemingly innocuous individuals who suddenly and (for all practical intents and purposes) inexplicably went insane with a gun-in-hand.

Trust me on this: The larger body of the general public does not know about and does not care for firearms. I know it's difficult for many gun forum aficionados to understand; but, a large majority of the general public IS NOT GOING TO CONSIDER AN INDIVIDUAL WITH AN EXPOSED FIREARM TO BE AN, 'EDUCATOR' OR A, 'GOOD WILL AMBASSADOR' FOR THE 2ND AMENDMENT. (Got it, yet?)

In 21st century America anyone walking around in public with an exposed firearm is thought of in only one of two ways: Such an individual is, either, an officer of the law or a possible lunatic whose potential for mayhem might be revealed at any moment. It's unrealistic, myopic, introverted, and rude for any of us to think otherwise.

Firearms are NOT, 'machines designed to throw lead balls' Oliver Winchester might have thought this; but, for a fact, his daughter Sarah (and her very troubled conscience) did not! The primary purpose for a firearm is to ....... END LIFE. In today's violent modern society anyone wearing an exposed firearm must be suspect. Both common sense and personal security demand such an evaluation! Anyone who fails to realize this FUNDAMENTAL REALITY of daily life in the Western Hemisphere is, to be perfectly blunt, A SOCIALLY OBTUSE, 'OFF THE GRID' IDIOT!

Awhile ago I was eating dinner in a stuffy Texas Roadhouse restaurant. The place was warm; so I decided to quietly slip off my jacket while we ate. A man, his wife, and 3 children were sitting across from our table. Nobody else in the room noticed I was armed; but, this father did; and it was only a matter of seconds before he began looking back and forth between his children, and me! That father didn't care about anybody's 2nd Amendment rights; he wasn't interested in, 'being educated'. All he cared about was the stranger with the large black gun who was sitting across from him at dinner.

Know what? I don't blame him! I do the same thing, myself, whenever I'm out in public and see a stranger with a gun. If I don't know the gunman (and, sometimes, if I do) I'm automatically suspicious and watchful. Guns aren't computers. Computers are for teaching and information retrieval. Guns are for self-defense and ending life. It isn't Christian; it isn't neighborly to demand that another person MUST EXAMINE your personal motives for flashing a gun in public.

All this pseudo-intellectual crap about demonstrating for 2nd Amendment rights, and educating the general public to their right to keep and bear firearms is a load of horse hooey. No well-hung adult male needs to wear an exposed firearm in public. Only self-centered and conceited, 'little boys' do rude and ill-considered things like that.

NOTE: For anyone who has trouble mentally digesting the above points-of-view, how about, at least, doing all the rest of us who quietly carry concealed a really big favor: The next time you feel the urge to expose your gun in public show other people the courtesy of wearing a Boy Scout uniform and carrying a dictionary - OK!

(At least this way your aberrant social behavior will be more comprehensible and your subjective motivations less suspect.)
Old 04-07-2012, 11:33   #18
Bruce M

Could you concede that there may be limited circumstances (say hunting) or perhaps some very rural areas at where openly carrying a handgun may not be socially obtuse or aberrant?
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.

Last edited by Bruce M; 04-07-2012 at 11:34..
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:52   #19
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
Could you concede that there may be limited circumstances (say hunting) or perhaps some very rural areas at where openly carrying a handgun may not be socially obtuse or aberrant?
Is your comment addressed to me? If it is, the answer is yes. However, the social behavior you're referring to isn't really aberrant. It's EXPECTED instead.

Nor does it occur at high noon inside your local indoor shopping mall, at a children's kindergarten class, or in the middle of a crowded Olive Garden restaurant. I'm not referring to Main Street in Shickshinny, PA on the opening day of deer season. I'm talking about someplace like downtown Philadelphia in September just before the kids begin returning to school.

Are you able to appreciate what it looks like for one of our scruffy bearded locals to walk down Main Street in Stroudsburg, PA during the middle of July when the Poconos are teaming with thousands of tourists from surrounding highly urbanized (and admittedly anti-firearm) states?

Believe me, the man with the dirty dungarees, scraggly beard, and the exposed gun is going to get all of the attention he so desperately craves! (Yes, I actually watched while this happen - Stunning! I don't know what it did for MY 2ND AMENDMENT RIGHTS; but it was certainly an attention grabber for, 'Pocono Billy'.)

Last edited by Arc Angel; 04-07-2012 at 12:07..
Old 04-07-2012, 12:02   #20
carbuncle
is not cool.

Quote:
This nicely summarizes my opinion on open carry, thanks!