GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:58   #51
ESI Agent

I would vote for the Ruger SR9. I had the G19/G26 kept the SR9,SR9c. You don't have to use the external safety but it's their if you want to use it , which I like having a external safety on a home defense weapon. The SR9 has a better grip, better price,and a life time warranty and your be putting Americans to work, what a thought.
ESI Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 13:02   #52
45caldan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokon View Post
From what I understand the ppq is not +p rated, is this correct?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Incorrect.
The manual does say to avoid + P + though.
Old 04-09-2012, 13:55   #53
itstime

I'm hitting this late. I'm a lefty. Have everything you are asking about.

Sig. Great value. Not for me. Bad ergos. If you like it, can't say anything bad about it. Not on my top list.

Glock. Great guns. Nuff said. You have one and know what it is.

PPQ. My favorite. Shoots great, great ergos, great trigger. Great everything. I LOVE it. My GF is a lefty. (what are the odds) She loves it. Her favorite also.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:16   #54
MadCityJack

Thanks to all who provided input. I just purchased the PPQ online from Bud's and will be awaiting a call from my local FFL. I will compare the PPQ with my G19 and give an update as we progress. Glock Fans, my next Glock (?) will come in 2013.
MadCityJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:19   #55
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityJack View Post
Thanks to all who provided input. I just purchased the PPQ online from Bud's and will be awaiting a call from my local FFL. I will compare the PPQ with my G19 and give an update as we progress. Glock Fans, my next Glock (?) will come in 2013.
Congrats!

Would love to see comparison pics between the PPQ and G19, particularly the grip length and sight radius.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 13:10   #56
P99er
AKA PPQ'er

I guess we can tell you now.

BIG MISTAKE!!!

"I cannot sit and watch a lady diminish her qualities to the lowest common denominator. I just can't do that" - Jerry Lewis on female comics
P99er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 14:18   #57
MadCityJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by P99er View Post
I guess we can tell you now.

BIG MISTAKE!!!
Oh, no. You have got to be kidding.

NO REGRETS ON THIS END! (Maybe I'll change my handle to PPQer)
Old 04-10-2012, 15:41   #58
4Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyP View Post
Congrats!

Would love to see comparison pics between the PPQ and G19, particularly the grip length and sight radius.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzvAL...ailpage#t=758s
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 20:30   #59
Taphius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHack View Post
Funny, I had the exact opposite reaction. A few years ago I fell in love with the Gen3 G19 as an idea, and really worked to get a handle on it. After a few thousand rounds, I got fed up with the blocky feel, and my inability to consistently hit accurately with it. The size, capacity, and reliability are perfect, but I just couldn't truly "bond" with it as my CCW, try as I might. I stuck with my 1911s for carry.

So I bought a Gen4 G19. Liked the feel of it even less than the Gen3, the trigger was worse, and I still couldn't hit accurately with it. It did not have the problems others have reported with erratic ejection, but ultimately I still didn't like it. Sold it in two weeks.

Fed up, I bought a PPQ in 9mm. Incredible feel and workmanship. Great trigger. Love the magazine release, it's a better idea. Total reliability with any ammo. And I can hit with it like my 1911s or G30. I was set! I shot and played with and carried it exclusively for the past several weeks.

Then I went back and picked up my Gen3 G19. Suddenly, it felt great. It felt much more small and "dense" than the PPQ, more rugged and simple. More "business." Carries way better for me than the PPQ, just a subjective impression. The grip is barely longer than the G19, but feels like it's a foot long when I'm carrying it.

I took both to the range and shot them side by side. I still shoot the PPQ consistently more accurately, but strangely feel more confident and comfortable with the G19, and handle it better in rapid fire follow-ups. The PPQ is not uncontrollable by any stretch, but it doesn't "stick" on the target for me the way the Glock does between shots. The feel of the recoil is more noticeable in my palm with Gold Dot 124 +P. The frame feels harder and more "brittle" than the Gen3 G19.

In fairness, I'm more familiar with the G19, having messed with it for two years. I need more time with the PPQ. I'm not selling my PPQ by a long shot, but it's superiority over my G19 is no longer so crystal clear to me. I like both, but am back to leaning to the G19 as a carry gun for now. Which bothers me, because I really was motivated to switch to the PPQ.

I'm not a Glock fanboy. I'm an admitted 1911 fanboy, who admires Glocks greatly. The PPQ is the first non-1911, non-Glock that I've given the time of day in years. It's a great gun. But it's not just an improved G19, it's more different from a Glock 19 than it looks. I wish I could describe it better.
I found the same to be true with me, after holding the ppq as many times as I could I always went back to my 17/22/23/27 thinking the glocks just felt better, and for $150 less
Taphius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:10   #60
fowler

1st G19,2nd Sig2022,3rd SR9 4th PPQ
fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:30   #61
P99er
AKA PPQ'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taphius View Post
I found the same to be true with me, after holding the ppq as many times as I could I always went back to my 17/22/23/27 thinking the glocks just felt better, and for $150 less

You two need to step away from the kool-aid.

"I cannot sit and watch a lady diminish her qualities to the lowest common denominator. I just can't do that" - Jerry Lewis on female comics
Old 04-11-2012, 10:46   #62
arclight610

Quote:

Your username is P99er. You need to step away from the kool-aid.
arclight610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:04   #63
Tiro Fijo

I've owned a Walther PPQ nigh onto a year with K's of rds. through it and it is a great gun. I also love my Gen4 G19. Is one better than the other? Both have +'s & -'s IMO. The G19 is a tad more easy to conceal and it can be taken down completely for deep cleaning whereas for the PPQ there are no available instructions on how to competely disassemble the frame. The G19 is a tad less muzzle "whippy" with hot ammo, but in its defense the PPQ merely requires one to bear down more to control it. Better night sight selection for the G19 as well. The PPQ is far easier to shoot well for the average shooter as it does have a better trigger & excellent ergonomics. However, for the common layman I think the stock Glock trigger is better for CCW.

In the end I love both equally.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 23:18   #64
Taphius

Quote:

Not really, the ppq is a nice weapon. I just like my glocks more. Moreso since I got them as blue labels.

If I could find a CZ p-02 i'd be carrying that though.
Old 04-12-2012, 00:02   #65
mindlogiczero

Tried, however one picture shows ppq longer, one shows same length not sure what kind of magic just happened.

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

I like the PPQ much more then my glock, however the glock feels much more combat ready like nothing could possibly go wrong with it. Plus magazine prices $25 vs $45.
mindlogiczero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:09   #66
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Excellent pics. Thanks for posting.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:23   #67
P99er
AKA PPQ'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by arclight610 View Post
Your username is P99er. You need to step away from the kool-aid.
The P99 and PPQ grips have contour, shape, patented ergos, and interchangeable backstraps to improve the feel. The front corners are actually beveled and contoured. It doesn't take kool aid to recognize that is a comfortable grip.

The Glock feels like a board with no contour, ergonomics or shape. The front corners of the grip are lightly chamfered with little or no reduction, and certainly no contour. It's kool-aid that makes someone think grabbing a square board is more comfortable than a contoured grip with interchangeable backstraps that customize comfort. The same thought that went into the back of the grip of a Walther went into the front too. It's supremely comfortable.

Old 04-12-2012, 20:24   #68
MadCityJack

OK P99er. I guess I can't use "PPQ'er" now. Ok you do have a sense of humor. Just took me awhile to appreciate it. Will take me a week or two to get the PPQ and get on the range with it. I will f/u with an unsophisticated assessment. I can't beat the pics already posted.
Old 04-12-2012, 20:46   #69
RyanSBHF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taphius View Post

The Gen 4 G17 costs $10 more than the PPQ, $549 vs. $539 at Buds.

A Monarch leads a Monarchy.

Hillary Clinton leads a Country.
RyanSBHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 23:44   #70
Taphius

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanSBHF View Post
The Gen 4 G17 costs $10 more than the PPQ, $549 vs. $539 at Buds.
blue label
Old 04-13-2012, 07:59   #71
45caldan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowler View Post
1st G19,2nd Sig2022,3rd SR9 4th PPQ
Really?
Everyone is entilted to their opinion but me thinks you have little or NO experience with the PPQ!
Old 04-13-2012, 09:00   #72
P99er
AKA PPQ'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityJack View Post
I will f/u with an unsophisticated assessment.
Just a couple tips for your assessment:

Target your audience. Customize the assessment to what will reach them on an emotional level.

1) When mentioning the wonderful trigger, be sure to throw in that it has a "Glock styled" trigger safety. "Like Glock"

2) When you mention the outstanding ergonomics, but sure to throw in that "ergos weren't ever really necessary for the Glock, so it was really a waste of engineering and money. that the high price of pistols like the P99 were because of wasted R&D of the ergos.

3) When discussing the interchangeable backstraps, be sure to mention that Walther ripped them off from Glock. (they didn't but it makes the assessment a little more palatable for the fan boys.) Or say, 'if backstraps were needed, Glock would have invented them when they made the first Glock'.

4) For instant credibility, admiration, and respect from the fan boys, discuss how painful the PPQ is to shoot, and how bad your entire body hurt after you shot it. But that you got out without losing any limbs, so you feel lucky. If you got 9mm, be sure to mention you would be afraid to shoot it in 40SW.

5) For even more credibility, criticize the HIGH BORE AXIS and how it causes the recoil to be uncontrollable and causes you to hold the pistol at a lower, and uncomfortable level.

6) The mag release. Even though it is more functional and you don't have to change your grip to activate it, be sure to mention you would much prefer having to fumble a pistol around the old fashioned way. And that the lever sits on the outside of the frame (it doesn't, but that doesn't matter) and will likely catch on clothes or a holster.

7) The pistol is just too sweet and functional to use as a HCP. With the short reset on the trigger, and sub 6 pound trigger, a DA would have a field day with your prosecution.

8) Real men like a pistol with no ergos and crappy triggers, and anyone that wants a comfortable grip and ergos should hand over their man card.

Old 04-13-2012, 16:59   #73
MadCityJack

Quote:
Just a couple tips for your assessment:

Target your audience. Customize the assessment to what will reach them on an emotional level.

1) When mentioning the wonderful trigger, be sure to throw in that it has a "Glock styled" trigger safety. "Like Glock"

2) When you mention the outstanding ergonomics, but sure to throw in that "ergos weren't ever really necessary for the Glock, so it was really a waste of engineering and money. that the high price of pistols like the P99 were because of wasted R&D of the ergos.

3) When discussing the interchangeable backstraps, be sure to mention that Walther ripped them off from Glock. (they didn't but it makes the assessment a little more palatable for the fan boys.) Or say, 'if backstraps were needed, Glock would have invented them when they made the first Glock'.

4) For instant credibility, admiration, and respect from the fan boys, discuss how painful the PPQ is to shoot, and how bad your entire body hurt after you shot it. But that you got out without losing any limbs, so you feel lucky. If you got 9mm, be sure to mention you would be afraid to shoot it in 40SW.

5) For even more credibility, criticize the HIGH BORE AXIS and how it causes the recoil to be uncontrollable and causes you to hold the pistol at a lower, and uncomfortable level.

6) The mag release. Even though it is more functional and you don't have to change your grip to activate it, be sure to mention you would much prefer having to fumble a pistol around the old fashioned way. And that the lever sits on the outside of the frame (it doesn't, but that doesn't matter) and will likely catch on clothes or a holster.

7) The pistol is just too sweet and functional to use as a HCP. With the short reset on the trigger, and sub 6 pound trigger, a DA would have a field day with your prosecution.

8) Real men like a pistol with no ergos and crappy triggers, and anyone that wants a comfortable grip and ergos should hand over their man card.
Funny stuff. Sounds like you know your Walthers well and have had to deal with a lot of Glock Guff over your preference of the P99 and PPQ. Voting your preference for Walther with a purchase is the best way to motivate a company to up their game. I suspect many here are simply tired of hearing about the Glock flying brass issue? I can't wait to compare the PPQ with the G19 within the next two weeks. Tomorrow I take the G19 to the range...testing out some Gold Dots and cheapo 115 g ammo from Czechoslovakia.

― Dante Alighieri
Old 04-13-2012, 17:45   #74
Rooster Rugburn
Got Pignose?

"Real men prefer ****ty ergos."

Ever notice that people who say "There is no I in TEAM" are the ones always riding your coattails?
Rooster Rugburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:45   #75
MadCityJack

Brief PPQ and Glock 19 comparison at range

Took the PPQ and 19 to range yesterday. Alternated shooting 20-30 rounds in each, starting with PPQ. Both pistols were cleaned and lubricated before going to the range.

Disclaimer: Limited competence/sophistication about guns, but learning all the time.

The Glock is much more familiar to me so accuracy was initially higher. I like the stock rear sights on the 19 better, more readily frames the front sight for me, but again, familiarity. I did not have the right grip size in on the PPQ so the grip ergos were not as good as they will be next time out. Admittedly, this could alter everything that follows. The grip ergos may also have accounted for my sense that the PPQ felt "bigger", although the objective differences in size are negligible, in my opinion. The ambidextrous mag release on the PPQ is really slick.

In terms of recoil, the PPQ felt a bit more snappy (subjectively maybe 10-15%), but no real issue, especially as I continued to shoot with it. As my accuracy improved with the PPQ, it seems my accuracy with the Glock also improved, I suspect, because when I went back to it after shooting the PPQ, I had a firmer grip. Other factors could also have been operative--just overall relaxing on the range.

I have yet to take advantage of the quick reset in the PPQ, in that nearly all my shots were slow and deliberate. Given this is a key selling point for PPQ, more to come on this point. There were no accidental double taps. Not one FTF or errant brass problem with the 100 rounds of 115 g Sellier & Bellot rounds thru the PPQ, quite different from my first 100 rounds through the 19. I had one FTF with the Glock when racking the slide; I am sure that was likely operator error and it was readily cleared. (No brass to face/head today either .)

Although the PPQ has only one recoil spring, the slide was much stiffer than the Glock initially was. It really threw the brass with mucho gusto. I am sure it will break in nicely. Also, I found using the mag loader easier with the PPQ, and when using my thumb, I could more readily load 15 rounds than with the Glock because of the greater tension I experience in the Glock mags. The Glock mags seem overall sturdier because of their combined polymer/metal casing. Buying new, I got 3 15 rounds mags in Glock whereas 2 came with PPQ...no cleaning tools in the PPQ either.

In my "disclaimed" opinion, both of these pistols are high quality, likely to meet me the needs of most looking for a G19 size pistol (sans ejection issues that seem rampant on GT).

I did take pics but no time to figure out how to get them up at this time.

― Dante Alighieri