GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:42   #51
SigFTW

I was at my LGS and they have about 5 Bear Customs, ranging from about $1,800-$2,600. The two I looked at where very smooth. My sales guy said "pull the trigger, I'll let you dry fire" the trigger pull was amazing.

How does the Bear compare to the WC?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:03   #52
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Baer's are GREAT shooters! Not as refined in the cosmetics dept
as Wilson Combat. Think of a Baer as a '67 big block 427 Corvette,
think of the Wilson as a new refined Corvete Z06.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:42   #53
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Correct me if I am wrong please, but didn't Alex cut his teeth at
Wilson Combat? I think I heard he was an Engineer.
Can anyone confirm?
Yes, he was their head engineer.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:54   #54
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN.Frank View Post
Let me go on record right here and right now that I never said and never will say that a low end gun like my ATI or an RIA or Regent is the same quality as a Wilson Combat, Les Baer, Ed Brown, ect. They're all made out of much higher quality parts and have hours of fitting and finishing that my ATI never had.
What I did say was that my ATI was running 100% and hitting where I aimed it same as if I'd spend $3500 on a Custom.
Will my gun last as long as a Custom, probably not but on the other hand I do plan on putting some better quality parts into this gun so that it'll be better then it is now.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I LOVE to Tinker with firearms. It's been a hobby of mine for many, many years. It'd bring tears to my eyes if I had a $3500 Custom and went to do something to it and put a scratch on it but with my ATI I really don't care. It's a "beater" that I got into for the soul purpose of playing with and tinkering on.
I'd love to own a Springfield someday or maybe even a Kimber(saw their Custom II at Bud's and I could get one out the door for $819 bucks, not bad at all really) but I know I'll never be able to afford something really nice like a high end custom so I don't dwell on it, why beat myself up like that.
For those that can afford a high end Custom I think that's awesome to be able to treat yourself to something that nice, just do us all a favor and don't turn the gun into a "Safe Queen", get it out and shoot it. That's what all those high end parts with hours of hand fitting were destine for, to shoot, not to collect dust in a safe.
I'll go on record and say that you need to read your own last 100 posts. And, I bet I've got more rounds through my "safe queens" than you've got through your ATI. Nothing is wrong with tinkering with whatever you want to. But you consistantly post about how your tinkered with ATI can do anything that a high end custom can, and for thousands of dollars less. And frankly, no pun intended, you are completely wrong. Noone is trashing your gun. B ut we get tired of hearing how all 1911's are like a chevy motor and why pay more for a fancy looking gun with a snobby name on it, when you can pick up a RIA/ATI and a dremmel at Lowe's, a few misc. parts from Midway and have it running on par with the higher end guns. Give it a rest man.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:56   #55
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD357 View Post
Just thought I'd copy and paste this here due to relevancy...

Egocentrism is when one is over preoccupied with their own internal world. Egocentrics regard oneself and one's own opinions or interests as most important or valid. Self-relevant information is seen to be more important in shaping one’s judgements than do thoughts about others and other-relevant information (Windschitl, Rose, Stalkfleet & Smith, 2008). It also generates the inability to fully understand or to cope with other people's opinions and the fact that reality can be different from what they are ready to accept despite any change in their personal belief.

Back to the OP. I'm gonna second the recommendation for Guncrafter, it's honestly hard to go wrong with a number of the custom makers.
Great post MD357.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:59   #56
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigFTW View Post
I was at my LGS and they have about 5 Bear Customs, ranging from about $1,800-$2,600. The two I looked at where very smooth. My sales guy said "pull the trigger, I'll let you dry fire" the trigger pull was amazing.

In my experience, Wilson is a more refined gun than Baer. And that's not taking anything away from Baer's performance and ability.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:19   #57
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
I'll go on record and say that you need to read your own last 100 posts. And, I bet I've got more rounds through my "safe queens" than you've got through your ATI. Nothing is wrong with tinkering with whatever you want to. But you consistantly post about how your tinkered with ATI can do anything that a high end custom can, and for thousands of dollars less. And frankly, no pun intended, you are completely wrong. Noone is trashing your gun. B ut we get tired of hearing how all 1911's are like a chevy motor and why pay more for a fancy looking gun with a snobby name on it, when you can pick up a RIA/ATI and a dremmel at Lowe's, a few misc. parts from Midway and have it running on par with the higher end guns. Give it a rest man.
Hey, I'm just trying to explain myself a bit so folks will get off of my ***** round here about every little thing I post.
For Crips sake, give a person a break, will you. I'm really getting sick and tired of being ragged on by folks here on this forum simply because I said a few things that were taken wrong.
If I ever did have a problem with my ATI I'd be afraid to post up about it here because I'd never hear the end of it from some here on the forum.
Can't we just look at the ONE thing we've got in common, we ALL Love the 1911a1 platform, regardless of how much the 1911 we own costs us.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:44   #58
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigFTW View Post

Baers are great guns, I had a TRS Comanche and it was stoutly built for sure I would say that for a carry gun in the Commander size there are some "concerns" with Baer guns of less than 5" in length.

Google "Baer commander issues" and you can see what I am talking about. My Baer which was a commander size had some reliability issues and the ejector was beat flat by the slide.

Not saying the Baer commanders are not good guns but there seems to be some issues out there so be cautious. I would buy a Baer again but not less than a 5" one.

Last edited by Ruggles; 04-05-2012 at 12:46..
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 15:03   #59
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
Baers are great guns,.......

Not saying the Baer commanders are not good guns but there seems to be some issues out there so be cautious. I would buy a Baer again but not less than a 5" one.

I agree,........no Baer commander length for me!

Last edited by faawrenchbndr; 04-05-2012 at 15:54..
Old 04-05-2012, 15:10   #60
wrx04

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
I agree,........no Baer commander lengrh for me!
Me too!
wrx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 15:54   #61
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

dang no typing fat fingers,.........
Old 04-05-2012, 22:13   #62
SigFTW

Thanks for the info guys!