Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:09   #21
Ruggles

I agree Wilson does not make any race guns. I am very pro Wilson do much so I have my third on order. Downside is the wait is 10-12 months right now on their builds :(

Their pricing is getting insane IMO but that is a subjective thing I guess. I carry the CQB Compact in .38 Super which is very 9mm like and it is a great gun to carry and shoot. Also thE extreme dehorn option is well worth the money on a carry gun.
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:25   #22
Rumbler_G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD357 View Post
Just curious as to why you guys are babbling about race guns? 99% of what Wilson does, has nothing to do with a "race gun" platform. STI and SVI maybe..... but Wilson?

That is a great question!

And all one has to do is know a little Wilson Combat company history to know the answer.

The real question is; why do those who do not are questioning those who do.

Look and Learn:
http://www.wilsoncombat.com/about_us.htm

Look at the "race gun" related history. Or even better, pick up the telephone and call Bill Jr. and have a talk to him.
Rumbler_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 13:40   #23
MD357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumbler_G20 View Post
That is a great question!

And all one has to do is know a little Wilson Combat company history to know the answer.

The real question is; why do those who do not are questioning those who do.

Look and Learn:
http://www.wilsoncombat.com/about_us.htm

Look at the "race gun" related history. Or even better, pick up the telephone and call Bill Jr. and have a talk to him.

Seem you have little if any experience with true "race guns."

If you are trying to tie IDPA in as a "race gun" competition.... I have to ask.... have you ever shot a match? Especially in CDP? Because it's not exactly a secret on how many "stock" guns you'll see at a local match. Rather, a majority are perfectly suited for carry. To put it even more simply....When was the last time you saw one of these?

1911 Forums

in CDP? or Wilson's website? Like I said....99% of what Wilson does is practical for everyday use. BIG HINT on Wilson history. Why was IDPA started and how does it differ from other "gun races?" Get back to me when you figure it out.

Last edited by MD357; 04-04-2012 at 13:47..
MD357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 14:08   #24
glock2740
Gun lover.

I love mine. Great gun. Also, from another forum, where the OP posted this same thread, and was told that a Wilson is the same thing as a Kimber, RIA, ATI, SA Loaded, etc. that costs $2500+ more just because it says Wilson on the side of it. Please OP, ask your questions on here or 1911addicts.com if you want serious responses, unlike you what you got on the other forum that I saw this same thread listed on. Some real knowledge over here, unlike over there.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 14:17   #25
wrx04

Wilson makes an awesome gun. I have a CQB and it is my favorite gun. Very high quality and outstanding customer service. Im keeping all my 1911's full size from now on, but im sure any wilson will be just as good.

If money isnt an issue, you should shell out the extra $$ and get the supergrade from the start. Its probably overpriced, but you will also have the best they have to offer, and it will last for the rest of your life.
wrx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 14:36   #26
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

When Bill Wilson shot in ISPC, did he build his "race gun" or did he use somebody else's product?
Old 04-04-2012, 14:46   #27
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

Bill Wilson actually started shooting competitively in '76 or '77 and
he was shooting a Colt Python. I believe he transitioned to semi-autos
in late '79, doing his own trigger jobs & accuracy enhancements.
I've never heard about what he was shooting, but I'd put my money
on them being Colts he enhanced himself.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 15:23   #28
Rumbler_G20

Quote:
Seem you have little if any experience with true "race guns."

If you are trying to tie IDPA in as a "race gun" competition.... I have to ask.... have you ever shot a match? Especially in CDP? Because it's not exactly a secret on how many "stock" guns you'll see at a local match. Rather, a majority are perfectly suited for carry. To put it even more simply....When was the last time you saw one of these?
in CDP? or Wilson's website?
Like I said....99% of what Wilson does is practical for everyday use. BIG HINT on Wilson history. Why was IDPA started and how does it differ from other "gun races?" Get back to me when you figure it out.

Umm, that is not a Wilson Combat pistol. And I'll admit that you have me on that web site thing. You see, I didn't and haven't visited it. Though I do speak with Jim sometimes. You know, like Holidays, birthdays, family reunions. You see, he is my father's brother. My uncle.

Woops - on you.
Rumbler_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 15:59   #29
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
I love mine. Great gun. Also, from another forum, where the OP posted this same thread, and was told that a Wilson is the same thing as a Kimber, RIA, ATI, SA Loaded, etc. that costs $2500+ more just because it says Wilson on the side of it.
Can't blame that one on me because I never said any such thing.
Old 04-04-2012, 16:56   #30
jtull7
Pistolero

faa, the grips are amboina wood, a tree that grows in southern Asia. I actually bought them off of a GTer.

Every day I face Ogden, Utah, and pray that God might bless John Moses Browning.

Outpost Member #69 I collect and shoot many fine firearms. CCW: NM, CT, and NH. N5JHT. WFR. Former LEO. SAR. Bilateral trans-tibial amputee. Survivor of bubonic plague. Tough sum-*****.
jtull7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 17:02   #31
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

Thanks John,..........
Old 04-04-2012, 18:17   #32
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtull7 View Post
faa, the grips are amboina wood, a tree that grows in southern Asia. I actually bought them off of a GTer.
Amboyna burl is gorgeous, but is a bit softer than coco bolo.

Esmeralda makes grips out of Amboyna burl.

1911 Forums
Old 04-04-2012, 20:36   #33
bac1023

Quote:
Just curious as to why you guys are babbling about race guns? 99% of what Wilson does, has nothing to do with a "race gun" platform. STI and SVI maybe..... but Wilson?
Exactly.

I was wondering that myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 22:24   #34
MD357

Quote:
Umm, that is not a Wilson Combat pistol.
That's my whole point my friend. I was showing you what a race gun was, then asked you to point one out on his website. (Hint: There isn't one) Are we up to speed now?

Quote:
Though I do speak with Jim sometimes. You know, like Holidays, birthdays, family reunions. You see, he is my father's brother. My uncle.

Woops - on you
Dunno how this validates you? If true, then you're even more uninformed as to what he builds than previously thought. It's quite impressive that you're family and you have no clue as to what his business' priority is, and/or what the premise of IDPA is.
MD357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 22:29   #35
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

(.Y.)
Old 04-04-2012, 22:49   #36
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN.Frank View Post
Can't blame that one on me because I never said any such thing.
Nope. It wasn't you Frank. Not this time.
Old 04-04-2012, 23:02   #37
omarimoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
I love mine. Great gun. Also, from another forum, where the OP posted this same thread, and was told that a Wilson is the same thing as a Kimber, RIA, ATI, SA Loaded, etc. that costs $2500+ more just because it says Wilson on the side of it. Please OP, ask your questions on here or 1911addicts.com if you want serious responses, unlike you what you got on the other forum that I saw this same thread listed on. Some real knowledge over here, unlike over there.
yeah it was up in the air but the more i read the more i want to buy one i will have to see wat a wait time will be like.
omarimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 23:37   #38
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarimoe View Post
yeah it was up in the air but the more i read the more i want to buy one i will have to see wat a wait time will be like.
Don't let wait time scare you off. You get what you pay for and waiting on something that is worth waiting on is usually worth the wait. Also, look into Guncrafter. They build one hell of a gun. I'm a huge Wilson fan, but Guncrafter is making the best 1911 for the money right now, IMO. Plus, Alex is starting to branch out on options more and more. You can't go wrong with either one. Also check out Springfield's Custom Shop (SACS). They build a great gun as well. And welcome to GT.
Old 04-05-2012, 00:00   #39
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

I've owned a number of M1911 and M1911A1 over the years, from WWII production, up through a Delta Elite from the 1980s.

My only one now is also the best I've owned. It fits me like a glove. (And my daughter does well with it so it will stay in the family.)

Bill Wilson Carry (CQB variant)
1911 Forums
Old 04-05-2012, 00:57   #40
mleroux21

I agree completely with GLOCK2740. Guncrafters is a force to be reckoned with right now. Wilson is a great pistol manufacturer but Alex at Guncrafters is going to get busier and busier in the coming years.

Marc
mleroux21 is offline   Reply With Quote