GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:15   #21
skud_dusty

I'm not sure exactly what my smith did, it's been awhile since I pulled the gun apart. If I remember correctly he shaved a bit off the end of the mag tube itself.
Old 04-16-2012, 17:59   #22
Veedubklown

Too bad you guys all have the large knurled nut cap, instead of the little one, mine does =(

I'm diggin all the humpback love here though. It's sexy!
Old 04-16-2012, 21:35   #23
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

Maybe tomorrow or on days off I will work on a pic or two of my project with the B and C sythetic stock. It looks a bit rough but it is functional, not sure what I would do to finish it up and make it look prettier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

How DUI enforcement should really work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 23:26   #24
Veedubklown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullman View Post
Maybe tomorrow or on days off I will work on a pic or two of my project with the B and C sythetic stock. It looks a bit rough but it is functional, not sure what I would do to finish it up and make it look prettier.
Yeah pics help.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:28   #25
JTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedubklown View Post
That's what I really want! That's badass. Making mine into a designated skeet gun, is just settling for what would be less work and investment.
You're going to have to get a different gun then. You don't HAVE to, but...

the magazine tube on your gun is quite a bit different and not something you can just stick a +2 onto. You would have to find a magazine tube from a non-Sportsman gun and have it installed onto your gun before you even start with the +2. Changing magazine tubes is a big deal for even 870s and the like, can't imagine trying to get it done on a 100-year old gun. as Model 11s are so inexpensive I'd just go find another with that is a non-Sportsman gun and has the four shell magazine tube to start with. Thats why I was figuring you loving the one you have so much, make it a hunting/trap/skeet gun - shorten the barrel and add Rem chokes. Just my .02

Quote:
Originally Posted by skud_dusty View Post
This nasty old cuss kicks like a mule but I love the sum*****.

Tactical Shotguns

Made in 1906 according to Remington.

I'm kind of local to FortMoe and got the idea from him. I had a smith recommended by him cut it, install a bead, and attach the mag extension. The 870 extension will fit, but does require some material to be removed. On the mag tube there is about a half-inch of material that sticks out past the threads. This isn't the case on the 870, but the threading is the same. I believe my smith just took a small cut off the end and you see the results.

I got this one from a friend for helping him fix his car. He found it with a 28" barrel on it and a Cutts comp on it. He knew I was going to chop it so he found the nastiest old beater he could and it ended up being one of my favorite guns. I will never sell this old beast.

Where are you hearing about the 2-piece lifter? I don't know of anyone making them aftermarket. The Browning has them factory, but from what I've seen the lifter costs more than my whole gun.
Which local gunsmith? Not planing on adding anything to mine, just want to shorten it at this time, but would like to have more and one with a +2 would be fun.

Had my Model 11 out to the range on Saturday morning and man what a runner. Thing is BLAZING FAST! Reminds me of Steve Earls song Devil's Right Hand - "shoot as fast as lightning, but loads mighty slow." These things are just as fast (or maybe even faster) than any new FN, Winchester or Benelli.

...and they're ancient old iron

What a riot!

I need more.

Last edited by JTR; 04-17-2012 at 01:30..
JTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:10   #26
skud_dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTR View Post

Which local gunsmith?
Koonce Customs. I'm fairly certain I let you borrow an 870 take-down tool.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:09   #27
BEER
bad example

wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just register it as an sbs and then whack the barrel off even with the original magazine tube and have a bead installed?
Old 04-17-2012, 21:36   #28
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

took mine to work today with me to see if the cleaning that I gave it helped with the cycling issues, it didn't. It appears that I have a shell latch issue , as the shells that you load in the tube are all retained by the secondary shell latch on the bottom of the bolt. The gun will cycle by the bolt, but it won't when you fire it.''

Couldn't find the camera to take stock pics, but I am looking.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:55   #29
skud_dusty

When I load mine to 7+1 capacity that secondary shell latch won't release the shells from the mag tube so I typically just load up with 5 rounds.

Someday I'll eventually take the whole thing apart and deep clean, but I don't feel comfortable without seeing some sort of "how-to" webpage/video.
Old 04-18-2012, 18:46   #30
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

I have the how to video, all I can say is it is a ton of parts and I don't know if I have the stones to try it, even with the video.

Old 04-18-2012, 18:49   #31
GLOCK17DB9

Please don't do it!
Old 04-18-2012, 21:14   #32
skud_dusty

Well I got to playing with my shotgun yesterday and took it to the range today....It now feeds 7+1 reliably

8 rounds as faster than you can pull the trigger is awesome
Old 04-18-2012, 21:29   #33
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

Yesterday I chopped a Remington 11-48 I bought used for $200. (Good thing I completely detailed stripped the bolt. The previous owner had it put together wrong!)

It is now 7+1, 19in barrel.

I am waiting on the new front sight from Brownells and the sling and mounts.

I've stripped the wood (Nice Walnut) and I've polished the blued steel with 0000 steel wool.

Next comes the 400, 800 and 1200 grit sandpaper and finish off with Tung Oil.
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:28   #34
JTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by skud_dusty View Post
Koonce Customs. I'm fairly certain I let you borrow an 870 take-down tool.
You did (ch139 on FMA) and I went out and got my own tool right after using your's. Thanks again. They are blazing fast guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEER View Post
wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just register it as an sbs and then whack the barrel off even with the original magazine tube and have a bead installed?
Not really, the magazine tube only goes part way through the forend on the Sportsman and can't be "extended." Still think it would be best to make his sportsman into a Trap/Skeet/Sporting/Hunting gun with a tad shorter barrel and Rem chokes then buy another model 11 but nonSportsman for social/blasting/fun work. Thats just me though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCK17DB9 View Post
Please don't do it!
Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBianchi View Post
Yesterday I chopped a Remington 11-48 I bought used for $200. (Good thing I completely detailed stripped the bolt. The previous owner had it put together wrong!)

It is now 7+1, 19in barrel.

I am waiting on the new front sight from Brownells and the sling and mounts.

I've stripped the wood (Nice Walnut) and I've polished the blued steel with 0000 steel wool.

Next comes the 400, 800 and 1200 grit sandpaper and finish off with Tung Oil.
Pics! We need pics!
Old 04-27-2012, 19:03   #35
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedubklown View Post
Yeah pics help.
Better late than never.

The stock is from Bell and Carlsen, it is for a Browning A5, I didn't have to do anything to the forend.

Tactical Shotguns

Now the lower tang coming off the receiver sticks down lower than it does on the A5, and from what I understand Remington even revamped these some, so there is some difference between M11s depending on what year they were made.
Tactical Shotguns

I used stock bedding material to build up the area around the tang to make it work there, obviously there is some finish work I need to do to make it "look" right, not sure what I am going to do there yet, but it is functional.

Tactical Shotguns

Now I just need to get it to where the shotgun works, it will fire, but for some reason it won't cycle, so it is a single shot. It hangs up after ejection and wont feed the next round.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:01   #36
skud_dusty

I assume you've already tried playing with the friction rings? Oil the mag tube lightly with some 10w30 was well. Other than that there's a great disassembly video on youtube
Old 04-28-2012, 11:08   #37
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

I have a great disassembly video from AGI, and I have played with the rings too. I just don't know if I am comfortable enough yet to dive into something with all those screws and small parts.

Old 04-28-2012, 19:54   #38
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

Watched the YOutube video a few times. I think if I watch it every day until I scrape together some money and buy some proper screwdrivers I might be ready to try it when I get them, and some punches.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:29   #39
JTR

So Veedubklown, whats the verdict? What is to happen to your model 11?

I'll get my barrel sent out in the next week or so, still not sure if I want to have it cut at 20-inches like the Riot guns or 18.5-inches like the Police guns Remington used to make.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:07   #40
Veedubklown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTR View Post
So Veedubklown, whats the verdict? What is to happen to your model 11?

I'll get my barrel sent out in the next week or so, still not sure if I want to have it cut at 20-inches like the Riot guns or 18.5-inches like the Police guns Remington used to make.
I'm still waiting on my tax return. I'm no closer to deciding between chopping it, and buying another gun. I can still use a defense gun decently for sporting clays, and would be better for 3 gun. Still can't find a 2 peice lifter to make it possible to load without pressing the bolt release, either. Also from looking at it, I'd need to cut the origional internal threads off my mag tube, to thread the external portion for a mag extension, but then I could use anyone's that would fit the diameter of my mag tube.

After patterning the shot, it's only about a 4' spread at 100 yards from the barrel I've got, it's decent. I may just cut it back behind the weaver choke, and have a bead put on, call it good. not sure yet.