Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-03-2012, 19:29   #1
Veedubklown

To chop, or not to chop...

I have a Remington Sportsman, model 11. It's 3+1, remake of a Browning Auto-5. I've done some mulling around, and found some popular mods to this firearm, namely a 2 peice shell lifter that allows you to load a shell without pressing the bolt release, and a magazine extension.

Tactical Shotguns

It came with a weaver choke brake on it, but no choke tubes. Weaver went out of business long ago from what I understand, and the replacement tubes are non-existent.

I bought this gun origionally, for skeet. Without the tubes, it works rather effectively for just trap shooting.

Without the chokes, it's hard to use for skeet, once they get out there. Here's where the question comes in. Should I cut the weaver choke off, and have it bored for a different choke tube (thinking remchokes), or chop it down to 18", and put a mag extension on it, to use it for IDPA DMG 3 gun matches? Honestly, I'd prefer the DMG route, but would go with whatever would be easier. Reguardless, I'm wanting to make loading easier, so the 2 peice shell lifter is huge, if I can actually find one. Not having luck. Also, mine doesn't use the large knurled nut on the end of the magazine tube, it uses a much smaller one, that goes through the for-end, so sticking an 870 mag extension on it, doesn't work as easily as it would with other models, so I think I'd need to change my mag tube, which I've read can be quite a bear.

What would you guys do, chop it up for DMG, or use it for trap? I like the gun, so selling it to buy a different gun isn't going to happen, likely. At the moment, it doesn't fulfill either role (skeet, DMG) rather well, I'd like it to be a designated gun for one task or the other.

Last edited by Veedubklown; 08-17-2013 at 00:38..
Veedubklown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 20:25   #2
Ferdinandd

The gun works well the way it is, and serves a purpose the way it is. I'd leave it alone. It would be a shame to chop up a classic-looking good functioning gun. For USPSA, I think you'd want a SG with a lower bore axis too, like an 1100 or 11-87, etc...
Ferdinandd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:09   #3
JTR

Absolutely love the Model 11; just picked up another one yesterday. I have never had a Sportsman, but understand the factory magazine tube is "different" than that of a non-Sportsman Model 11. As you mentioned, adding a magazine extension is going to be tough if not impossible. That being the case, seeing as two-piece lifters are so tough to find and you're in love with the gun and never letting go sounds like it might be destined for a good skeet/trap/hunting gun. As the barrel has probably already been cut and the Weaver added, its not like you'd be cutting up a museum piece to shorten the barrel a tad and add Rem chokes (I love 22-inch skeet guns). If you like the Model 11s enough to want one for a game gun, maybe get a non-Sportsman model to add a magazine extension to and find a two-piece lifter for (definitely will need that for a game gun). If you're going to shorten what you have I'd recommend Steve Rose of Rose Action Sports in Pembroke, KY. His prices are GREAT ($60 for cut, crown, bead and return shipping/insurance - tad more if you want it threaded for chokes), turn time is awesome (10 days from my corner of the country to him and back) and work is phenomenal - he can thread for those Rem chokes too.

Last edited by JTR; 04-04-2012 at 04:11..
JTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:06   #4
Veedubklown

I believe my weaver choke is actually stock, from what I've read, remington put them out that way. I like the idea of getting another model 11 in the non-sportsman variety, I'll have to chop off my external threads to see where I'm at for barrel thickness, see if there's enough room to facilitate the threads for screw in chokes.

Any idea where I could find a 2 piece lifter? I've never seen them, so I don't even know what to look for.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:30   #5
JTR

Not to steal your thread, but I am so in love with my new above mentioned Model 11 (everyone should have a few!). Called Remington yesterday and they said it was built in 1923. Gun is in great shape and will have that big ole Cutts amputated and be shortened to 18.5-inches per the old "Special Police" Model 11 built decades ago.

Tactical Shotguns
Old 04-06-2012, 13:36   #6
Veedubklown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTR View Post
Not to steal your thread, but I am so in love with my new above mentioned Model 11 (everyone should have a few!). Called Remington yesterday and they said it was built in 1923. Gun is in great shape and will have that big ole Cutts amputated and be shortened to 18.5-inches per the old "Special Police" Model 11 built decades ago.

Tactical Shotguns
No worries at all, mate! That's a fine lookin' 11.
Old 04-10-2012, 22:07   #7
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

I have a model 11 that I have been considering doing this to as well. I bought a bell and carlson A5 stock and had to mod it a bit to make it work for the remington, but now I have a black nylon stock. I may have to look into the fellow in KY about shortening my barrel and getting some rem chokes. I have thought about just getting another barrel, but shoot, mine has sat in the safe for decades now, it would get more use if I did the chop job to it. Not sure about the two piece lifter but I have e mailed a guy about the mag extension

http://fortmoe.com/index.html

I beleive he uses an 870 tube but he has to machine some relief in it so it will work the way it needs to. He might have a line on the two piece lifter too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

How DUI enforcement should really work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Bullman; 04-10-2012 at 22:08..
Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 19:40   #8

Quote:

Tactical Shotguns
If the Lyman/Cutts choke is marked "IC .755" I might be interested in buying it. I've been looking for one to complete my collection.
Thanks

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 21:30   #9
zachattack38

im thinking about shortening the barrel on mine myself. do they still make shorter barrels for these guns?

Tactical Shotguns

Tactical Shotguns

Tactical Shotguns

Tactical Shotguns
zachattack38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 21:33   #10
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

they do make shorter barrels, but if you have a Sportsman, and it appears that you do, you would need to put in a different magazine because the 20 inch barrels are made for the 5 shot magazine I believe. I hear that magazine replacement on these guns is a major undertaking.

Old 04-12-2012, 22:04   #11
Veedubklown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullman View Post
they do make shorter barrels, but if you have a Sportsman, and it appears that you do, you would need to put in a different magazine because the 20 inch barrels are made for the 5 shot magazine I believe. I hear that magazine replacement on these guns is a major undertaking.
From what I've read, you can use a remington 870 magazine extension on them. The threaded portion is a bit long, so you need to trim it down and clean up the threads, and it should work. Then the barrel chop is the same as any. That'd be easier than trying to find a barrel with the correct length on the link.
Old 04-12-2012, 22:21   #12
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

You are probably correct, just use a longer extension to get more rounds. Don't trim the threads too much. Remember that barrel recoils with the bolt and gets slammed against that extension every time you shoot it. It needs all the thread it can get to withstand that I would bet.

Last edited by Bullman; 04-12-2012 at 22:23..
Old 04-14-2012, 02:20   #13
JTR

Don't think anything is being trimed, just adding a small spacer to take up the slack between the standard model 11 cap and shorter threaded part for the 870.

I believe this is one of the Ft. Moe guns:
Old 04-14-2012, 04:58   #14
bsg1

i wouldn't make any permanent alterations. preserve the integrity of this one, and plan ahead for another that can serve other purposes.
bsg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 20:34   #15
zachattack38

thanks guys. i appreciate the info

Last edited by zachattack38; 04-14-2012 at 20:35..
zachattack38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 21:00   #16
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsg1 View Post
i wouldn't make any permanent alterations. preserve the integrity of this one, and plan ahead for another that can serve other purposes.
I have thought about that one long and hard. I don't bird hunt and this thing is just rotting away in my safe unused, which you could probably say about over half the guns in there anyway. However, it would come a lot closer to use if it was in a configuration I could do something with. If I trim my barrel back 10 inches, to 20, and have it threaded for chokes, then at least I could get some use out of it as a defense shotgun and lord forbid if I should ever want to bird hunt, I could just screw in the appropriate choke and go. Sure, I know it won't "swing" as well and what have you, but, it will get the job done.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:57   #17
Veedubklown

Quote:
Don't think anything is being trimed, just adding a small spacer to take up the slack between the standard model 11 cap and shorter threaded part for the 870.

I believe this is one of the Ft. Moe guns: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvwIb...1&feature=plcp
That's what I really want! That's badass. Making mine into a designated skeet gun, is just settling for what would be less work and investment.
Old 04-15-2012, 14:57   #18
skud_dusty

This nasty old cuss kicks like a mule but I love the sum*****.

Tactical Shotguns

Made in 1906 according to Remington.

I'm kind of local to FortMoe and got the idea from him. I had a smith recommended by him cut it, install a bead, and attach the mag extension. The 870 extension will fit, but does require some material to be removed. On the mag tube there is about a half-inch of material that sticks out past the threads. This isn't the case on the 870, but the threading is the same. I believe my smith just took a small cut off the end and you see the results.

I got this one from a friend for helping him fix his car. He found it with a 28" barrel on it and a Cutts comp on it. He knew I was going to chop it so he found the nastiest old beater he could and it ended up being one of my favorite guns. I will never sell this old beast.

Where are you hearing about the 2-piece lifter? I don't know of anyone making them aftermarket. The Browning has them factory, but from what I've seen the lifter costs more than my whole gun.
Old 04-15-2012, 15:20   #19
cj5mrt

I like that "nasty old cuss".

I can explain it to you, but I can not understand it for you.
cj5mrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 16:01   #20
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

I would like for mine to end up in a similar fashion, it is currently wearing a 30 inch full choke. So do they have to trim off the end of the mag tube or cut some relief from the inside of the extension?

Last edited by Bullman; 04-15-2012 at 16:03..