Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-02-2012, 13:08   #1
Chesafreak

Rule Number One

I know many preppers say you should work on getting credit debt paid off first, or stock this or that first.

How many of you have taken an honest assessment of your phycical condition? If the SHTF, are you in good enough shape to survive and protect yourself and your family? If not, will your family members survive without you? Regardless of whether your SHTF event is as simple as getting attacked by a single BG, or as bad as TEOTWAWKI, are you fit enough to fight and survive?

I was on vacation last week at an indoor waterpark. I noticed that only about 4 people out of the crowd seemed to be in good shape. The rest were pretty fluffy. At least I know where I will get my food if things get desperate enough.

Remember rule number 1: Cardio

Without the ability to physically overcome any survival scenarios, does any other preps even matter? I am speaking to those who are not disabled.
Chesafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 14:06   #2
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

I totally agree. Cardio above all else.
Old 04-02-2012, 14:31   #3
quake

Greatly under-stressed imo. Might be that I'm overly conscious of it, being closer to 60 than 40 and having to work at things more than I used to. But look at the "prepper" videos on youtube with 400-lb guys packing up a 60lb BOB; with 30 lbs of that pack weight being weapons. Problems is, fitness just isn't as fun a topic as 'which gun', 'which vehicle', or "at what point do you eat your neighbor's kids?".

I did some work at the church this saturday, breaking up & removing some asphalt & concrete to re-do some drainage areas; using a shovel, pick and jackhammer. It was the first time in near 20 years I used a jackhammer, and I paid for it some on sunday. I'm fairly strong, but the jackhammer did remind me of my own limitations.

I don't know if I'd say cardio 'above all else' because the few tussles I've been in it was invariably brute strength that made the difference in my personal case; but I absolutely agree that cardio is probably the most negelected aspect for most people, myself included if I don't actively stay on myself about it. (Lifting weights is fun, cardio is more like work. But like the man said, "You don't have to like it, you just have to do it"... )

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 14:38   #4
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

Paleo or Primal diet is the solution that they need.

The cardio does help it little but if they keep up with their nasty diet then the cardio effort means nothing. 90% of people don’t know how to live without a sugar, bread, flour, HCFS, and soda.

Diet is number 1. It has the direct impact on your health’s wellness. If you have fixed your diet, then the cardio and weight-lifting will get you the result you have desired for. You'll be far better than 90% of the population.
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 14:49   #5
Chesafreak

Right. I simply said rule number one is cardio because its something that anyone who has seen Zombieland can identify with.

Regardless of your workouts, if you aren't eating right then you are wasting your time working out. I read somewhere that diet is 80 percent of getting or staying in shape. Diet is the foundation of fitness just like I'm trying to get the point across that fitness (if able-bodied) should be the foundation of prepping.
Old 04-02-2012, 15:04   #6
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

why worry about your credit card balances if shtf?

i mean if you have to retreat or bunker down in a hide out, do you think the ups man will just drive up to your door with an order of ammo for you?

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 15:10   #7
Chesafreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post

i mean if you have to retreat or bunker down in a hide out, do you think the ups man will just drive up to your door with an order of ammo for you?
That's not what this thread is about. You are nitpicking an irrelevant point.
Old 04-02-2012, 15:12   #8
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve23323 View Post
I know many preppers say you should work on getting credit debt paid off first, or stock this or that first.
How many of you have taken an honest assessment of your phycical condition? If the SHTF, are you in good enough shape to survive and protect yourself and your family? If not, will your family members survive without you? Regardless of whether your SHTF event is as simple as getting attacked by a single BG, or as bad as TEOTWAWKI, are you fit enough to fight and survive?

I was on vacation last week at an indoor waterpark. I noticed that only about 4 people out of the crowd seemed to be in good shape. The rest were pretty fluffy. At least I know where I will get my food if things get desperate enough.

Remember rule number 1: Cardio

Without the ability to physically overcome any survival scenarios, does any other preps even matter? I am speaking to those who are not disabled.
it was the first thing you brought up.

Old 04-02-2012, 15:12   #9
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve23323 View Post
That's not what this thread is about. You are nitpicking an irrelevant point.
sorry, just commenting on your post.

Old 04-02-2012, 15:42   #10
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Sorry guys, I should have written this down earlier.
#1. Live in reality.
#2. Don't talk about your preps to those who are not in the inner circle of trust.

Somewhere down the line is personal health.

Until recently I was letting my health slide, but I have reached the age where I will have to spend more time working on keeping healthy. You will be seeing less of me over the next couple months and that is a good thing.
Old 04-02-2012, 15:47   #11
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

Maybe the way you guys live is different, but I use cardio every day. So for me cardio is #1, and personal health is not 'somewhere down the line.' Strength is desirable, but for me it comes after cardio. Generally I can figure out a way to get around brute strength (and sometimes not!), but when you need cardio, you gotta have it, and nothing else will do.

Last edited by Bolster; 04-02-2012 at 15:48..
Bolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 16:13   #12
kimo

When it comes to a tussel, RunFu works best
From all that terror teaches, From lies of tongue & pen, From all the easy speeches That comfort cruel men. From sale & profanation Of honor and of sword,From sleep and from damnation, Deliver us, Good Lord.
GK Chesterton
kimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 16:49   #13
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimo View Post
When it comes to a tussel, RunFu works best
True, as long as possible.

Problem is that RunFu skills gradually weaken, and the options turn toward the choice of "StompFu" vs "StompedFu" (and I've also been working on my "Diplomacy Kwan Do" as well, truth be told). Push comes to shove, I guess the final option is GlockRyu.

Last year, was messing around with one of the neighbor kids and after him asking why I worked so much on arm & wrist strength (I got him down repeatedly & he never got me even though he's a college football player), I explained the simple truth. I'm just too old & slow to outrun trouble anymore, so I need to be able to both squush it, as well as willing & able to absorb punishment in the process. I'd rather have the option of RunFu in addition to as many others as possible; but that one's gradually and irrevocably abandoning me.

Avoidance is the best policy, agree 100%; whether it's a brushfire, a gunfight, or rising floodwaters. Thing is, I can't outrun some of the things that I used to be able to so I have to fall back to a plan 'B' so to speak.

Can't remember the old saying... Something along the lines of "don't mess with an old guy. He's too stubborn to take a butt-whooping anymore, so he's liable to just shoot you."

Another one that cracked me up was a number of years ago Granny (my wife's grandmother, 90 or 91 at the time) was bad angry about some arkansas politician in the news, and popped off with something along the lines of, "Oughta just shoot 'im. A life sentence now don't mean the same as it used to."

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by quake; 04-02-2012 at 16:51..
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 17:00   #14
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
Because unless you're talking end-of-the-world SHTF, your financial situation matters.

Continual credit card balances are about the dumbest financial mistake people make.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 04-02-2012 at 17:01..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 18:05   #15
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
Another one that cracked me up was a number of years ago Granny (my wife's grandmother, 90 or 91 at the time) was bad angry about some arkansas politician in the news, and popped off with something along the lines of, "Oughta just shoot 'im. A life sentence now don't mean the same as it used to."
What a liberating notion! Make a list and get to it when you're 90.

Remember the geezer hitman in Sopranos? Gets the job done then kills himself reaching for his inhalator while driving.
Old 04-02-2012, 18:09   #16
DoctaGlockta

I run 4-5 miles 6 days a week. Sometimes longer if time permits. Cycle couple of times a week also. Have done for years. I'm not in the greatest shape in the world but if push comes to shove I could run quite a distance if I had to.

- Barack Hussein Obama
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 21:23   #17
Akita
gone

Well I thought rule #1 was keep your mouth shut.

Somebody's gonna have to make up their minds on this, cause you all are confusing me.
Akita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 22:28   #18
wildcat455

LOL! I am fat, outta shape (Unless ROUND is not a shape!) but last I checked, there wasn't TOO many situations I planned on getting in that involved a "Voluntary" or an "Involuntary" marathon. Besides, I can't out run a bullet...even if I am in better shape than my first sentence alluded to...Or even as good a shape as some who post here... Either way, I suspect I'll still have enough cardio in me to put a few downrange... Apologies if you are downrange...

You can die tired, I'll die with my twinkie...

So... What were we talking about again?

This was my attempt at HUMOR...
wildcat455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:08   #19
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Quote: "I noticed that only about 4 people out of the crowd seemed to be in good shape. The rest were pretty fluffy. At least I know where I will get my food if things get desperate enough."

My rule number one is to take out the people who make comments like this.

Last edited by TangoFoxtrot; 04-03-2012 at 04:19..
TangoFoxtrot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:14   #20
Chesafreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoFoxtrot View Post
Quote: "I noticed that only about 4 people out of the crowd seemed to be in good shape. The rest were pretty fluffy. At least I know where I will get my food if things get desperate enough."

My rule number one is to take out the peoople who make comments like this.
Ok, if you insist on taking me out, do I get to choose the restaurant or bar?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine