Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-31-2012, 16:52   #1
bjdiaz1

Greetings from Miami, FL

Figured it was time to overcome my fear of firearms. After much reading and research I came to the conclusion GLOCK was the way to go. Just received a 19C G3 order through Gallery of Guns and I'm anxious to go to the range upon my return home from a brief business trip abroad. Reading the different forums in Glock Talk helped a lot to encourage me to take up the sport with higher caliber firearms after enjoying my Crossman 3177 air gun in my back yard trashing soda cans. That' fun too, but nothing like the real thing. Having read a lot in the past months on the subject of firearms there is no doubt there's a great deal of responsibility involved in owning and using guns. I hope to enjoy it as much as I enjoy fishing and photography here in south Florida.
bjdiaz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 18:44   #2
bac1023

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 19:02   #3
ithaca_deerslayer

Welcome to the club. What was your fear based on?

Most of gun safety can be accomplished by the following:

1. Treat all guns as if they are loaded.
2. Don't point a gun at anything you don't want to destroy (generally means you can't point at anyone, ever, except under the gravest extreme of self defense).
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are actually on target and ready to fire.
4. Know your target and beyond.

I say these rules because I take them seriously, and expect every gun owner to as well.

Furthermore, if a gun is not on your body, keep it locked up. And if a gun is on your body, keep it in a quality holster.

As you can tell, these are in my own words. Things I have internalized.

Let me give you another. If you ever want to pull the trigger without actually firing the gun, check 3 times that it is empty. Then still don't point at anyone. I'm not joking about the 3 times. And I mean 3 separate complete checks in a row: 1. magazine is out, slide is back, and chamber is empty, close slide. 2. magazine is out, slide is back, and chamber is empty, close slide. 3. magazine is out, slide is back, and chamber is empty, then close slide. I strongly suggest that as a good mental break, as well as a thorough way of absolutely making sure the gun is empty. Guys who dryfire a lot, and who too quickly do the check only once, are much more prone to accidental discharges than anyone else. That is my estimate based on internet testimonials. Their habit of pulling the trigger ends up short cutting the safety check.

If you set that gun down and then pick it up again, go through the tripple check again before dryfiring it. Gremlins may have reloaded it while it was out of your hands.

Please accept this post in the spirit I intend it. Not trying to talk down to you or lecture you, but rather trying to welcome you to responsible gun ownership. Become a disciple and spread the word and set a good example. In the meantime, enjoy the sport, the fun, the collecting, and the ability to defend yourself and your loved ones
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 19:17   #4
Keyhole

aboard!
Old 03-31-2012, 19:47   #5
19sandyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post

2. Don't point a gun at anything you don't want to destroy (generally means you can't point at anyone, ever, except under the gravest extreme of self defense).
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are actually on target and ready to fire.

I say these rules because I take them seriously, and expect every gun owner to as well.

Furthermore, if a gun is not on your body, keep it locked up. And if a gun is on your body, keep it in a quality holster.

Let me give you another. If you ever want to pull the trigger without actually firing the gun, check 3 times that it is empty. Then still don't point at anyone. I'm not joking about the 3 times. And I mean 3 separate complete checks in a row: 1. magazine is out, slide is back, and chamber is empty, close slide. 2. magazine is out, slide is back, and chamber is empty, close slide. 3. magazine is out, slide is back, and chamber is empty, then close slide. I strongly suggest that as a good mental break, as well as a thorough way of absolutely making sure the gun is empty. Guys who dryfire a lot, and who too quickly do the check only once, are much more prone to accidental discharges than anyone else. That is my estimate based on internet testimonials. Their habit of pulling the trigger ends up short cutting the safety check.

If you set that gun down and then pick it up again, go through the tripple check again before dryfiring it. Gremlins may have reloaded it while it was out of your hands.

Please accept this post in the spirit I intend it. Not trying to talk down to you or lecture you, but rather trying to welcome you to responsible gun ownership. Become a disciple and spread the word and set a good example. In the meantime, enjoy the sport, the fun, the collecting, and the ability to defend yourself and your loved ones
Welcome and plus 1 to what he said.

I was a little nervous at first too, but there was no reason to be. Just take your time and follow the 4 rules as if your life depends upon them. You'll be fine.
19sandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 19:48   #6
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy

Hello and welcome here!
LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 19:53   #7
HeliGlock
HeliGlock

Hello And Welcome.
HeliGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 00:02   #8
mymini40

Welcome!
mymini40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:15   #9
larson1122

Welcome!
larson1122 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:31   #10
oily_oink
###########

From Michigan!
Old 04-01-2012, 11:32   #11
mingaa

Welcome from St. Louis, MO!
Old 04-01-2012, 17:54   #12
ca survivor

ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 00:33   #13
VaporLock24

Welcome from Miami, i also do photography
VaporLock24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 13:39   #14
FLSlim

Welcome aboard!
Florida Glockers Club #1040
Big Dogs Club #1592
FLSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 13:55   #15
DuramaxOn40s
TheDieselFreak

Welcome from Ocala, FL ! Ithica_Deerslayer ^^^ couldn't of said it better... Happy Glocking
DuramaxOn40s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 15:10   #16
Glock40man

Welcome to GT!
Old 04-05-2012, 18:01   #17
Bruce M

I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 20:36   #18
bjdiaz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post

I do appreciate your comments. I have tried to burn the safety rules in my head and keep repeating them to myself over and over again. My dad had a gun and he always inspired fear on all of us just to make sure none of us dared get near it. Once I stole one of his bullets cause that's what kids do... and I got a heck of a wippin'. Never again. I must of been 8 or 9. Now I'm 61 and I can remember that day as it was yesterday.
Old 04-05-2012, 20:43   #19
bjdiaz1

Guys... back from my trip and off to the gun range with my son who also shares the love for fishing and... maybe now, for guns. We broke in the two brand new guns I got... started with the Beretta Neos U22 (pretty cool I must say!!!), and then... the 19C. What a mule! That sucker really kicks and immediately my son was hooked. Had a blast for a couple of hours. Must do it again... after we go fishing for peacock bass this weekend. Great weather in Miami and they are about to bed.
Old 04-05-2012, 21:56   #20
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjdiaz1 View Post
I do appreciate your comments. I have tried to burn the safety rules in my head and keep repeating them to myself over and over again. My dad had a gun and he always inspired fear on all of us just to make sure none of us dared get near it. Once I stole one of his bullets cause that's what kids do... and I got a heck of a wippin'. Never again. I must of been 8 or 9. Now I'm 61 and I can remember that day as it was yesterday.
My dad took a different aproach. I remember him putting a shotgun on the table and asking me if it was loaded. Um, I didn't know, probably not, I said. He told me always assume a gun is loaded. Then he showed me how to check it, and it was unloaded. Then he set it down and asked me to turn my head for a moment.

Then he asked again, is it loaded? Um, didn't we just check it was unloaded? He said, yeah but how do I know he didn't just put a shell in it when I wasn't looking. Assume all guns are always loaded, he said, and even if you just checked them but had set them down assume they are loaded again.

That was the foundation of my gun education. Guns were in the house and I never played with them. My dad would show me any guns I wanted to see

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 04-05-2012 at 21:59..
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote