SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:35   #1
TrueGunNut

SBR krink 5.45 or 7.62

Guys,

These days, if you wanted an SBR that wouls have some punch for HD, shtf and also be a nice toy/plinker, which would you go with?- aks74u krinkov 5.45 or an m92, draco 7.62?

I REALLY like the traditional krink look of the aks74u.

Is the 5.45 in an 8" barrel worth a hoot? I know it has more punch than a traditional submachine gun firing 9mm or 45acp..

Is ammo still priced right? I already have a lot of 7.62x39 for my mak90, so i need to justify adding another caliber.

Lastly, where can you get an aks74u? Atlantic firearms sells red jacket ones... Are they crap or quality?
TrueGunNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:34   #2
plouffedaddy

For an SBR, I'd go 7.62. That said, either will work well . One of the advantages of most ~30 cal rounds is how they shoot in short barrels and the 7.62x39 is no exception.

If you're willing to shoot corrosive, the 5.45 ammo is certainly still priced right. 11-12 cents a round if you look around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Certified Glock Armorer
plouffedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:08   #3
pugman

[Mental note...don't move to Houstin/Austin, TX...dem folks needs an AK for home dfence ]

7.62 at typical home defense ranges (the average home shooting is at 12') will ruin someone's day...so will 5.45...heck at that range so will a well thrown frying pan

The akfiles (or is it forum) price guide has 5.45 still found at 11.8 cents a round...don't know about shipping.

I am no ammo guru, and I've read some of the poison bullet stuff, but a rifle at that range to me at least screams over penetration. All the castle doctrine aside, I sure has heck don't want a SBR'ed AK in front a jury when some scumbag lawyer lookin' to line his pockets is telling a panel of my "peers" how poor Mr. Badguy was just confused when he entered my house through a window. I'm not worried so much about a criminal charge - but its the wrongful death suit which will bury you.

If it was my money....for a plinker and HD I would get a 20 gauge. Bought one for my wife and you can shoot all day sore shoulder free and its fun as heck

If I was spending your money...I would get the 7.62...two weapons with the same ammo at the right times can be priceless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueGunNut View Post
I already have a lot of 7.62x39 for my mak90
This is your wife/girlfriend/inner channeled democrat or whomever talking. You can never have enough ammunition.

Last edited by pugman; 03-27-2012 at 08:09..
pugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:36   #4
TrueGunNut

Correction. This is for a toy and for shtf lol. Not for HD. I didn't really mean that.

I'm still kind of on the fence about corrosive 5.45.. Looks to be some new production 7n6 out there that is non corrosive. I just like the way the aks74u looks over the draco or m92 yugo... Wonder if you can make a 7.62 look iust like aksu?
Old 03-27-2012, 10:13   #5
PlasticGuy

One of my close friends has a 7.62 sbr in the form of an Arsenal 107ur. It is a fantastic shooter. He finally put an Aimpoint on it, and the last group I shot from the bench was 1.25" at 50 yards. Not bad for an 8.3" barrel. Performance of the 7.62x39 out of a short barrel is surprisingly good.

That said, I am going the 5.45 route for mine. Ammo cost is much less if you are willing to shoot corrosive ammo. I never will, but non-corrosive ammo costs the same so I lose nothing. Recoil is a bit less, so rate of fire is slightly higher in shooting drills. It is a bit less powerful, but is still a highly effective choice inside of 200 meters. It will also penetrate any handgun rated armor. It would not by my first choice for a true fighting rifle, but that's not what I ask of it. It is possibly the most effective pdw/smg ever made. How can that be a bad thing?

If you chose to go the 5.45 route, I would suggest buying a kit from RGuns. They are selling virgin AK74u kits for $775. There are a few barrel options, but I got a US made chrome lined barrel for $160. A NoDakSpud receiver is the easiest option, but I opted for a 1.6mm Arsenal USA receiver for $89. Labor isthe only other big cost, and industry average is probably in the $800-$1200 range. The whole project will cost you about $2000 by the time you're done. Not everybody wants to pay that much money for a gun, but it is well worth it to me.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:31   #6
TrueGunNut

Sounds like you got a bad little krink coming your way!
Old 03-27-2012, 17:11   #7
PlasticGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueGunNut View Post
Sounds like you got a bad little krink coming your way!
Two, actually. I figured that finding everything would be the hard part, so every time I found a piece I needed I ordered two. It will be quite a while before they are built and back in my hands, but I am already excited.
Old 03-27-2012, 18:52   #8
Bravo 1
CLM Number 143
Serious Infidel

Bought this 74U and PBS-5 can from Red Jacket years ago.

But I did install a U.S. palm grip on it recently, since I real sized hands. And it is fantastic btw.

I shoot corrosive ammo through it everytime I get it out.

Personally I love all the hand-wringing over corrosive ammo, it keeps the demand lower.

So, NEVER BUY CORROSIVE AMMO, YOUR GUN WILL DISSOLVE AND YOUR HAIR WILL FALL OUT!!!!!!!!

"Don't toy with me Ernie,I've already dispatched with Mr. Hooper,I've got six armed men stationed outside Big Birds nest,and as for Linda? Well its rather difficult for a deaf woman to hear an assasin approach now isn't it?-Stewy

Last edited by Bravo 1; 03-29-2012 at 07:22..
Bravo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 19:52   #9
TrueGunNut

Let me change this up....

Would you guys rather buy on of the two aforementioned, or an Hk53 sbr clone?

Looking for just one Tiny cannon...
Old 03-28-2012, 06:27   #10
Bravo 1
CLM Number 143
Serious Infidel

Well, both have a proven operating system.

You can install a rail on either one now a days.

The grip on an HK sucks, but I think you can change that too.

I guess it comes down to 2 things really,

How much do you want to spend on ammo?

and, what do YOU want? it is your money and weapon.

Either one will need a can, the HK is a little more difficult to suppress.

Have you ever thought of buying a, 11.5 5.56 SBR?

They are very sexy and as long as you are shooting MK 262, it is a viable weapon out to 300m.

Easier to suppress, modify, but ammo sucks unless you roll your own.

"Don't toy with me Ernie,I've already dispatched with Mr. Hooper,I've got six armed men stationed outside Big Birds nest,and as for Linda? Well its rather difficult for a deaf woman to hear an assasin approach now isn't it?-Stewy
Bravo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:26   #11
TTM65

I have built the following, unissued bulgy AK74U, unissued Yugo M92 krink, and I turned an HK 33 kit into an HK 53 clone using a 53 barrel and converted the magwell to accept AR mags. Of the three I like the AK74u the best. I am partial to the 5.45 caliber and the side folder more than the underfolder. I actually have 2 of the HK 53's and do not really like them at all. They look good, function good but are extremely loud. IF you can have only one then I would go for the AK74U and I truley doubt you will ever regret the choice.
TTM65 is offline   Reply With Quote