Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:09   #1
WT

Another Geezer Converts to Snubby

A fellow geezer, a VN vet, has decided to give up carrying a semi-auto pistol for SD.

His reasons: too heavy, bulky, difficult to conceal, too heavy, complex manual of arms, too heavy, possible failures to feed due to limp wristing .... and too heavy.

These considerations are important to everybody, but I guess more so to an elderly person with a worn out body.

He is looking at a J-frame.

Last edited by WT; 04-18-2014 at 17:24..
WT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:16   #2
Wake_jumper

A J-frame with a Crimson Trace laser is hard to beat.
Wake_jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 19:55   #3
elkhart

Consider an LCR in 357. Perfect platform for 38 +P. I found the LCR in 38 special too light and snappy.
elkhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 20:29   #4
Chup

I could never decide. Do I like the S&W442 or the LCR357? Well, I give up. I carry both. The 442 in my pocket. The LCR357 IWB. The extra 4oz. Of the 357 make shooting 38+P a peace of cake. Same speed loaders for both guns. It's a no brainer.
Chup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 20:35   #5
Berto
woo woo

As long as he's okay with recoil and frequent practice, the snubby is the way to go.
Old 04-18-2014, 20:50   #6
mj9mm

I am in the process of saving up for a small revolver, external hammer. my personal reason is, although I have no problem carrying and concealing a small to compact semi auto, operating the slide to chamber a cartridge can be impossible some days. of course a revolver eliminates that problem. I can see why so many older folks like them.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:57   #7
WT

The Crimson Trace sounds like a good idea. I hadn't thought of that and it makes good sense.

He likes to take evening walks after sunset when it gets cooler and the CT could prove beneficial. With age eyesight starts weakening.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
WT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:50   #8
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

I started with revolvers back in the 1970s, and have eliminated almost all semis these days.
I practice often, and these are the two I alternate between for carry. Some day I may add lasers. (Picture taken after shooting, before cleaning.)

The Snubbie Club

Last edited by DustyJacket; 04-19-2014 at 08:50..
DustyJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 17:04   #9
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
As long as he's okay with recoil and frequent practice, the snubby is the way to go.
I like the 325pd rather than the j frame. I hate the recoil of the little guns but the larger lightweight gun with 45 autorim seems about right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool songs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 17:08   #10
ditto1958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chup View Post
I could never decide. Do I like the S&W442 or the LCR357? Well, I give up. I carry both. The 442 in my pocket. The LCR357 IWB. The extra 4oz. Of the 357 make shooting 38+P a peace of cake. Same speed loaders for both guns. It's a no brainer.
Darn. Not a bad idea, if you ask me, but I can't resist asking- do you also wear both a belt and suspenders?
ditto1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 17:10   #11
Berto
woo woo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneyBooney View Post
I like the 325pd rather than the j frame. I hate the recoil of the little guns but the larger lightweight gun with 45 autorim seems about right.
No way my 325 will drop in pocket though.
..and the 325 recoils worse than anything out of my 442.

Last edited by Berto; 04-19-2014 at 17:11..
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 22:09   #12
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
No way my 325 will drop in pocket though.
..and the 325 recoils worse than anything out of my 442.
Well, I like the 325.. It will fit in bdu pants pockets but may stick out a tiny bit. I thought everyone had a j frame just for the heck of it. They are probably the most popular gun ever.

Cool songs:

Cool car:
Old 04-19-2014, 22:27   #13
Oreglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT View Post
A fellow geezer, a VN vet, has decided to give up carrying a semi-auto pistol for SD.

His reasons: too heavy, bulky, difficult to conceal, too heavy, complex manual of arms, too heavy, possible failures to feed due to limp wristing .... and too heavy.

These considerations are important to everybody, but I guess more so to an elderly person with a worn out body.

He is looking at a J-frame.
S&W Model 60 J-frame, 22.6 oz empty.
S&W Shield. 19 oz empty.

Not sure I'm buying the weight argument for a J-frame. The shield is also thinner than anything with a cylinder, and slightly shorter, though I know this is not so much of an issue.

If it's a matter of racking the slide or complexity of operation/cleaning/field stripping then I get the switch to revolver, but if it's based on weight or concealability I don't think the J-frame is ahead.
Oreglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 22:45   #14
ksmedman

I pocket carry a S&W 638, or a Kahr CM9.
The J-frame is 15.1 oz unloaded. The Kahr is 15.9.
The big difference is ammo, 5x38 vs. 7x9mm. It makes the revolver feel much lighter for some reason, though neither is heavy per se.

Logic dictates that the Kahr is a better defensive pistol - more rounds, faster reloads, better short barrel caliber, etc... but I still have a place for the Smith. Usually in my jeans front pocket....
ksmedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:28   #15
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreglock View Post
S&W Model 60 J-frame, 22.6 oz empty.
S&W Shield. 19 oz empty.

Not sure I'm buying the weight argument for a J-frame. The shield is also thinner than anything with a cylinder, and slightly shorter, though I know this is not so much of an issue.

If it's a matter of racking the slide or complexity of operation/cleaning/field stripping then I get the switch to revolver, but if it's based on weight or concealability I don't think the J-frame is ahead.
You are comparing a steel frame J frame. There are J frames less than 13 ounces.
BuckyP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:17   #16
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyP View Post
You are comparing a steel frame J frame. There are J frames less than 13 ounces.
The steel j frame makes a nice revolver in the home for a person who hates recoil. A good bit heavier than the 442/642/638 etc but much more controllable for the average person.

Cool songs:

Cool car:
Old 04-21-2014, 15:37   #17
Chup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto1958 View Post
Darn. Not a bad idea, if you ask me, but I can't resist asking- do you also wear both a belt and suspenders?
Belt holds everything up.
Old 04-25-2014, 20:23   #18
mj9mm

very close now to making the leap. sadly parted with my CM9 today. I really like that gun, but it was the obvious choice among the handguns I own. it was also the hardest slide to operate. I checked out the first shop to day, but nothing exciting. 0ne interesting gun was an aluminum charter arms 38, extremely light and small, but not +P. cute, but didn't feel like it would take much punishment.
Old 04-30-2014, 21:29   #19
mj9mm

it all came together today. swayed back and forth for awhile with indecision, go big or go small. went with my original plan, a light weight pocket size snubbie. I went with the S&W 637-2 airweight, strictly business. i'll run a good amount of practice rounds through it to begin with and then only a few every so often to stay familiar. i'll continue to let the big guns take the brunt of the range action.
Old 05-01-2014, 15:29   #20
Chup

I hate decisions. Every day I have to pick Two to carry. It gets tough sometimes.