Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-22-2012, 17:41   #101
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
The other gentleman mentioned America. You are telling me about Trinidad and Tobago.
You need to focus -- Trinidad was nothing more than backstory, the impact was in the United States.

-ArtificialGrape
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 18:15   #102
muscogee

Quote:
The other gentleman mentioned America. You are telling me about Trinidad and Tobago. Now, if you want to get technical, you can't consume any bovine products in India, and be murdered and serveral middle eastern countries for just being Christian.

I am still not seeing Hinduism and Islam taking any ire.
I was in Houston to catch my plane. I'm telling you about Texas.

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 18:26   #103
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

Quote:
Okay, and Hindus won't give you a burger either. I don't see you decrying them.
You are just the master of weak arguments. A Christian woman refusing to give me a BJ is not the same as her voting to make it illegal for a non-Christian woman to do so.

Do Hindus have a national campaign going on IN THIS COUNTRY to prevent me from eating burgers? Do you understand that one would decry the religion that most opposes their freedom first and not worry about the others that have little or no impact?

It's called picking your battles. I'm sure you'd like to see some of the heat taken off of you and placed on any of the religions you oppose but it ain't gonna happen.

And as always, what you refuse to respond to is more telling than what you do respond to.

Last edited by Gunhaver; 03-22-2012 at 18:30..
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 19:13   #104
Woofie
CLM Number 293
Disirregardless

Send a message via AIM to Woofie
Quote:
Originally Posted by scccdoc View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Agreed..............................I don't care for blue laws.His lack of knowledge and planning contributed,that is in essence what I am saying.
His lack of knowledge of the law didn't contribute to making the blue laws. That law serves no purpose and is totally religion based.

"I don't need to figure probabilities, and I don't need facts." JBnTx

"Maybe they should drink like Woofie and come up with pure brilliance." OXCOPS

"Woofie is the only smart one around here." Photoman642
Woofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 19:36   #105
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Ok, the Hindu caste system is based on unfair religious bigotry. While discrimination based on caste is technically illegal, the practice is still wide spread in India. The idea that being born into a lower caste is somehow your punishment for crimes committed in some imagined previous life is totally absurd and if any Hindus come into this forum, I will repeat this to them.

So, now you've heard someone here decry Hinduism. Kind of a non-sequitor given that there are no Hindus here that I am aware of and the caste system isn't really a factor in this country. Hmm, guess that's why it doesn't come up that often.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Geko45; 03-22-2012 at 19:38..
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 21:10   #106
ksg0245

Quote:
The Hindus aren't forcing anyone to be vegetarians by unilaterally prohibiting the sale of meat. In some instances, the pharmacist refusing to sell birth control because of particular religious beliefs is the only local source of such goods and services.

But feel free to roll those goalposts back as far as necessary.
ksg0245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:15   #107
G23Gen4TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roering View Post
Why do Atheists always invoke the name of Jesus when they are angry? They never yell out "Buddha" or "Hari Crishna". It's always Jesus or Jesus Christ or Jesus H Christ.

Why?
Why,do girls scream "Oh Jesus, I'm coming" and not "Oh Mohammed, I'm coming"?

Last edited by G23Gen4TX; 03-23-2012 at 01:24..
G23Gen4TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:25   #108
G23Gen4TX

Btw, nice to see some TX atheists. Now if I can only find a hot female one my life would be complete.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:27   #109
G23Gen4TX

And to answer the original question. As an atheist Jew (the Jew being a cultural thing for a lot of us Israelies) I mock all religions equally. They are all stupid and manipulative.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:10   #110
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
You are just the master of weak arguments. A Christian woman refusing to give me a BJ is not the same as her voting to make it illegal for a non-Christian woman to do so.

Do Hindus have a national campaign going on IN THIS COUNTRY to prevent me from eating burgers? Do you understand that one would decry the religion that most opposes their freedom first and not worry about the others that have little or no impact?

It's called picking your battles. I'm sure you'd like to see some of the heat taken off of you and placed on any of the religions you oppose but it ain't gonna happen.

And as always, what you refuse to respond to is more telling than what you do respond to.
Has anyone been imprisoned in this decade for consensual felatio? Sounds like a specious argument.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:12   #111
Kingarthurhk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Can't afford it - plus, being that's my opinion above - I like living in a country where I at least have legal recourse against religion, being that it's one of the few with "a wall of separation between church and state." (Thomas Jefferson).

In short, your remark is silly.
Now that is something we can agree upon.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:22   #112
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

Quote:
Has anyone been imprisoned in this decade for consensual felatio? Sounds like a specious argument.
Many states still had them on the books until 2003. If a certain presidential candidate got his way I have no doubt that they would be back. What sounds like a specious argument is "Hindus won't give you a burger. I don't see you decrying them."
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:33   #113
Kingarthurhk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
Many states still had them on the books until 2003. If a certain presidential candidate got his way I have no doubt that they would be back. What sounds like a specious argument is "Hindus won't give you a burger. I don't see you decrying them."
My point to all of this, is the chief ire of Atheists is Christianity. No matter what the other major theisms or panintheisms do, but is directed continually at Christianity. I think there is a deeper subtext here.

Last edited by Kingarthurhk; 03-23-2012 at 04:39..
Kingarthurhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:36   #114
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brausso View Post
In your opinion above, the things you listed have been that way since you were born. You've had plenty of time to find a life elsewhere. Maybe you shouldn't use any currency since it says in God we trust. Oh well, it's a free nation. To each his own

Witty comeback doesn't appear to be your strong point.

You don't mention the part about how we have religious freedom here, so while christians still have a lot of control, that certainly doesn't make it a place to move out of. We have made a lot of progress on actually seeing religious freedom in the last 50 years or so.

Last edited by Bren; 03-23-2012 at 04:41..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:40   #115
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
The other gentleman mentioned America. You are telling me about Trinidad and Tobago. Now, if you want to get technical, you can't consume any bovine products in India, and be murdered and serveral middle eastern countries for just being Christian.

I am still not seeing Hinduism and Islam taking any ire.
That's because we were talking about why English speaking atheists, here in America, only seem to oppose christians - if we were posting in Arabic or Farsi those might be discussed, but they don't affect US as atheists in America. That's obvious on a "2+2=4" level.

Quote:
Not in this decade, but only because the Supreme Court ruled that it was unconstitutional to do so, in the 80's. Bowers v. Hardwick, 478 U.S. 186 (1986).

Last edited by Bren; 03-23-2012 at 10:35..
Old 03-23-2012, 04:55   #116
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun

Quote:
My point to all of this, is the chief ire of Atheists is Christianity. No matter what the other major theisms or panintheisms do, but is directed continually at Christianity. I think there is a deeper subtext here.
What, in your fevered imagination, is that subtext? Other than the already explicit recognition that as the majority religion in the US, Christianity has the greatest impact on the lives of those who don't believe it to be true I mean.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:04   #117
Kingarthurhk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Mother View Post
What, in your fevered imagination, is that subtext? Other than the already explicit recognition that as the majority religion in the US, Christianity has the greatest impact on the lives of those who don't believe it to be true I mean.
I am feeling better today, and I don't have a fever.

The impact is that there are a lot of Christians?

We live in society where, fortunately, the First Amendment lives that let's all people worship or not freely. So, that can't be it.

I suspect, and it is must my personal theory, that this concept being true:

Jerimiah 31:33, "....I will put my law in their minds
and write it on their hearts...."

That there is a feeling of guilt for actions that have been done (which I argue is good thing not only from a Christian point of view, but a practical point of view), and there is a deep rooted desire to make it go away.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:45   #118
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:

We live in society where, fortunately, the First Amendment lives that let's all people worship or not freely. So, that can't be it.
Yes, that can be it. Our politicians and courts pass and enforce laws daily to cater to the voters, even knowing they are unconstitutional. Sometimes they pass them, especially where religion is concerned, because they know they are unconstitutional and they get the "standing up to the man" headlines and votes.

The first amendment is great, but it still has to be enforced by a government elected by a majority vote.

An interesting side note about the first amendment - it wasn't originally put in there just to give minority religions freedom. It was also put in there because the churches, 1800's and later, wanted the government to stay out of religious business. Considering the dirty and dishonest business the government runs, that makes sense. It is only in the last 100 years or less that minority religions and nonbelievers started to use it to keep the churches out of the government.

How many christians actually know how long "In God We Trust" has been the official motto of the U.S.A.? Hint - the red scare was on and Joe McCarthy was a siiting senator (the foundiong fathers picked E Pluribus Unum).

Last edited by Bren; 03-23-2012 at 05:52..
Old 03-23-2012, 07:05   #119
ksg0245

Quote:
The "chief ire" of most of the atheists with whom you interact is the religion with which they have the most interaction. You're aware most of the atheists with whom you interact are American, right? And that the predominant religious affiliation in the USA is Christian, right? That's the "deeper subtext;" you're seeing American atheists reacting to the religious belief that has the greatest impact upon them.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:17   #120
ksg0245

Quote:
I am feeling better today, and I don't have a fever.

USA atheists are affected by laws based on a particular religious belief, but in the USA we have the First Amendment, so it can't be that laws based on a particular religious belief are why atheists object to being affected by laws based on that particular religious belief?

Really?

Quote:
I suspect, and it is must my personal theory, that this concept being true:

Jerimiah 31:33, "....I will put my law in their minds
and write it on their hearts...."
You're addressing ATHEISTS; atheists are people who reject the unsupported assertion of deities, which means they also reject that those asserted deities can "put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts." Why should atheists accept your unsupported assertions about your specific religious beliefs?

Quote:
That there is a feeling of guilt for actions that have been done (which I argue is good thing not only from a Christian point of view, but a practical point of view), and there is a deep rooted desire to make it go away.
What is it you think atheists are feeling guilty about?