Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 13:47   #61
scccdoc
Senior Member
 
scccdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
Why do you say that? What's your rational?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You're gonna like this..........."read the Bible"
scccdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 13:50   #62
scccdoc
Senior Member
 
scccdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofie View Post
Radical muslims believe in their hearts that what they are doing is for the true, correct god. Are their beliefs less valid than yours?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
As I said,this really isn't a "religion problem" as much as not being prepared for work.Is killing unborn children OK with you?
scccdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 13:51   #63
scccdoc
Senior Member
 
scccdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,390
Where's Geko?The "gang" just isn't complete..........................
scccdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 13:51   #64
muscogee
Senior Member
 
muscogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,841


Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Forget about Pascal's wager and everything written by man,
including the Torah, Koran and the Bible.

What if there IS a God and you're wrong in your belief?

An intelligent man must look at it from ALL angles, and even
consider that he might be wrong.

Now, I ask again.
What if you're wrong?
Forget the counterarguments and let you frame the argument any way you want to? That's not how logic works. You don't get to do that.

If there is a god and he/she/its wants me to know about him/her/it, then one would expect that god to give some tangible evidence about his/her/its existence and some clear consistent idea of what he/she/it expects from us. Baring that, the only rational conclusion is that gods exist only in peoples' imaginations.
__________________
"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes."

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 13:55   #65
muscogee
Senior Member
 
muscogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,841


[quote=scccdoc;18744173]
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
Why don't you ask your god for the wisdom to understand the written word and form a cogent counterargument? You're inconsistent rambling and do
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm not arguing,I repeated what you wrote, or did I misquote you?Not a religious argument,just surprised you had 28 days to buy gloves(evidently very important)but put it off until the last minute.BLAME THOSE CRAZY CHRISTIANS........................
Go back and read the question to which I responded. You completely missed the point.
__________________
"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes."

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 14:00   #66
scccdoc
Senior Member
 
scccdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,390
[quote=muscogee;18744206]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scccdoc View Post

Go back and read the question to which I responded. You completely missed the point.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I read it,but didn't ask it.I believe religion affects our laws and our lives.No problem.Now,tell me why you waited until the last minute to prepare for a job that kept you away from "civilization" for so long.....................you completely missed MY point,and took this in the wrong direction.
scccdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 14:01   #67
muscogee
Senior Member
 
muscogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,841


Quote:
Originally Posted by scccdoc View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You're gonna like this..........."read the Bible"
I realize you have no concept of logic, but it's not my responsibility to make your argument for you. If you want people to respect your opinion, you have to make the case yourself. You can't make some indefensible statement and then say, "now go prove I'm right", or as many like to frame the argument, "prove I'm not wrong".
__________________
"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes."

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 14:03   #68
Woofie
CLM Number 293
Disirregardless
 
Woofie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Here
Posts: 10,083
Send a message via AIM to Woofie
Quote:
Originally Posted by scccdoc View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
As I said,this really isn't a "religion problem" as much as not being prepared for work.Is killing unborn children OK with you?
If you're still referencing the gloves, yes it is a religion problem. Christian blue laws caused Muscogee to not be able to buy his gloves when he planned to.
__________________
"Turns oit i had irrisputable proof i was out of the country" youngdocglock

"I don't need to figure probabilities, and I don't need facts." JBnTx

"Maybe they should drink like Woofie and come up with pure brilliance." OXCOPS

"Woofie is the only smart one around here." Photoman642
Woofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 14:05   #69
muscogee
Senior Member
 
muscogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,841


[quote=scccdoc;18744219]
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I read it,but didn't ask it.I believe religion affects our laws and our lives.No problem.Now,tell me why you waited until the last minute to prepare for a job that kept you away from "civilization" for so long.....................you completely missed MY point,and took this in the wrong direction.
I get your point. When you have no rational counterargument you resort to an ad hominem argument so you can change the subject and dodge the issue. Theists do this all the time.
__________________
"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes."

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 14:12   #70
scccdoc
Senior Member
 
scccdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofie View Post
If you're still referencing the gloves, yes it is a religion problem. Christian blue laws caused Muscogee to not be able to buy his gloves when he planned to.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Poor planning,there are many laws I don't agree with but deal with it.So should he..................
scccdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 14:13   #71
scccdoc
Senior Member
 
scccdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,390
[quote=muscogee;18744245]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scccdoc View Post

I get your point. When you have no rational counterargument you resort to an ad hominem argument so you can change the subject and dodge the issue. Theists do this all the time.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No,an indictment on your lack of maturity and responsiblity
scccdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 14:18   #72
Altaris
Senior Member
 
Altaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 11,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Forget about Pascal's wager and everything written by man,
including the Torah, Koran and the Bible.

What if there IS a God and you're wrong in your belief?

An intelligent man must look at it from ALL angles, and even
consider that he might be wrong.

Now, I ask again.
What if you're wrong?

If I am to ignore stuff written by man, which god should I pray to then? Won't it be mad if I randomly pick the wrong one? Should I just make one up in my head to pray to?
Not to mention, if it is an omnipotent being, wouldn't it be able to see through my ruse that I was just praying based on a bet?
__________________
To Alcohol !
The cause of, and solution to, all of lifes problems
-Homer Simpson-
Altaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 14:25   #73
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 14,555


Quote:
Originally Posted by scccdoc View Post
Where's Geko?The "gang" just isn't complete..........................
I'm here, you missed my post on page 2 I think.

__________________
Peace is our profession, war is just a hobby...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 14:26   #74
Woofie
CLM Number 293
Disirregardless
 
Woofie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Here
Posts: 10,083
Send a message via AIM to Woofie
Quote:
Originally Posted by scccdoc View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Poor planning,there are many laws I don't agree with but deal with it.So should he..................
Poor planning doesn't change the fact that the gloves couldn't be sold on Sunday because of a christian based law.
__________________
"Turns oit i had irrisputable proof i was out of the country" youngdocglock

"I don't need to figure probabilities, and I don't need facts." JBnTx

"Maybe they should drink like Woofie and come up with pure brilliance." OXCOPS

"Woofie is the only smart one around here." Photoman642
Woofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 14:31   #75
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 14,555


First you say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Forget about Pascal's wager
But then you immediately say:

Quote:
What if there IS a God and you're wrong in your belief?

An intelligent man must look at it from ALL angles, and even
consider that he might be wrong.

Now, I ask again.
What if you're wrong?
This is Pascal's wager??? You did know that, right?

Ok, nevermind that, I'll answer anyway. Any god that would judge me lacking based on such flimsy and absurd teachings as those contained in the bible would have to represent a childlish, capricious and petty entity. Such an entity would not be worthy of my worship even if they were omnipotent, omniscient, and eternal.

Might does not make right. What the bible teaches is largely useless and sometimes down right destructive. It's backward from the bottom up. Even if it were entirely and completely true, I would not follow it. Consequences be damned (along with me).
__________________
Peace is our profession, war is just a hobby...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Geko45; 03-22-2012 at 14:32..
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 14:31   #76
Bren
NRA Life Member
 
Bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 35,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Forget about Pascal's wager and everything written by man,
including the Torah, Koran and the Bible.

What if there IS a God and you're wrong in your belief?
That IS Pascal's wager - it is better to believe in God, because the consequences of being wrong are much higher if you disbelieve than if you believe.

As I said, that approach assumes the only choices are 1 particular religion, or disbelief. That is the most obvious flaw.

Really, the choice of: What if there IS a God and you're wrong in your belief, but you don't believe?(as an atheist)

Is exactly the same as:
What if there IS a Shiva, Odin or Chukwu, but you believe in the christian God? What if the muslims or the Jews have it right, but you're a Baptist?

Quote:
An intelligent man must look at it from ALL angles, and even
consider that he might be wrong.

Now, I ask again.
What if you're wrong?
Is it even necessary to ask again, what if you're wrong? Marduk isn't going to take that very well.
__________________
"Liberal" is when you hire others to use a guns to protect you, so you can pretend guns aren't necessary.

Last edited by Bren; 03-22-2012 at 14:37..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 14:36   #77
ksg0245
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Forget about Pascal's wager and everything written by man,
including the Torah, Koran and the Bible.
Okey doke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
What if there IS a God and you're wrong in your belief?
Then we're wrong. Which deity or deities are we wrong about? All of them? One or more? One which hasn't been identified yet? How do we determine which deity or deities actually exists, and once that's accomplished, how do we reliably determine what its motivations are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
An intelligent man must look at it from ALL angles, and even consider that he might be wrong.
Sure. Intelligent people also look at stuff like evidence (or lack thereof) and logic (or lack thereof) before reaching conclusions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Now, I ask again.
What if you're wrong?
About what, exactly? There's no actual evidence of any deity; there are merely assertions. How many unsupported assertions do you accept as true?
ksg0245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 14:36   #78
brausso
Senior Member
 
brausso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 1,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
You live in a country where your political candidates' religious beliefs and participation are examined under a microscope - where I have laws that say I can't open a liquor store or buy beer on Sunday, and if I'm Jewish or Muslim or others, I'm not allowed to substitute Friday or Saturday for that and open on Sunday. If I go to court, in some counties, I have a big copy of tyhe 10 commandments on the wall behind the judge. That's just the start, we can go on and on about how our lives are regulated by rules of the christian religion, because our carefully examined christian politicians stick them in at every turn.

I am aware that christians try to publicly deny this when the christian-based laws are up for debate, but surely you don't fool yourself into believing that.
It's pretty simple really. If you don't like it GTFO

Last edited by brausso; 03-22-2012 at 14:36..
brausso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 14:38   #79
muscogee
Senior Member
 
muscogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,841


[quote=scccdoc;18744281]
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No,an indictment on your lack of maturity and responsiblity
More personal attacks and changing the subject. OK, I'll play.

__________________
"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes."

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 14:39   #80
ksg0245
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by brausso View Post
It's pretty simple really. If you don't like it GTFO
Glock Talk Feels Otherwise?
ksg0245 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:27.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,025
280 Members
745 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31