GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-01-2012, 19:16   #21
Glock Holliday

Put me in the "leave it alone" camp. If you really have a hankering for a tacticool shotgun, it's a lot easier if you start with a Remington 870 or 1187 (preferably the Police models) because there is a greater assortment of accessories available. The Mossberg 590 would be next on my list (and I have three of the aforementioned weapons).
Old 04-02-2012, 19:18   #22
GlocknSpiehl
NRA Life Member

My 1300 Defender only came with a pistol grip when I bought it at Walmart about 20 years ago. My wife had issues with controlling the gun and I wanted to upgrade it to be a better HD weapon, so I tacticoolized it for around $100 by adding a foregrip and an adjustable stock. Now it fits/works for both of us.

The pic is a little crappy, but you get the idea.

Tactical Shotguns
Old 04-02-2012, 19:21   #23
GlocknSpiehl
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie565 View Post

While still a winchester, if you put any serious rounds through it (> 5k), it will break down as will a Mossberg. The Remington and benelli pumps are much less likely, IMHO.
Geez, I'm glad you told me that!! My 20 year old 1300 Defender probably broke down a couple of years ago, when I went over 6K rounds through it and I never noticed!

Wicked smooth action on the pump, ability to rapid fire, smoothly run everything I've fed it with nary a hickup; I'ld buy another one in a NY minute.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:11   #24
stiletto raggio

The 1300 is my favorite pump gun. I own several Winchesters and recommend that if you want to "tacticalize" a 1300 you can't do much better than buying an FN TPS. Atlantic had some good deals on them recently. I already own three. Between the excellent M16 sights and the M4 buttstock and grip, you would spend more money trying to build and equivalent than just buying a new TPS outright.

I should add that the ability to use regular AR parts to tweak the stock and sight configuration is a big plus.
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.” -John 15:13

"Here's the truth, which you know in your heads and hearts already: Ineffective, unfocused violence leads to more violence. Limp, panicky, half-measures lead to more violence. However, complete, fully-thought-through, professional, well-executed violence never leads to more violence because, you see, afterwards, the other guys are all dead." –Larry Miller

Last edited by stiletto raggio; 04-04-2012 at 07:14.. Reason: Forgot something.
stiletto raggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:54   #25
KUZZ661

I was just given an old Winchester 1200 from my uncle and it has a 28" barrel I believe but I am looking for a shorter fairly cheap 18" barrel for the house any ideas were I might find one?
KUZZ661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 13:19   #26
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUZZ661 View Post
I was just given an old Winchester 1200 from my uncle and it has a 28" barrel I believe but I am looking for a shorter fairly cheap 18" barrel for the house any ideas were I might find one?
I just had a local smith cut and re-bead mine, was like $20.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 13:45   #27
KUZZ661

Did u change anything else ? Would It be cheaper to have my stock and forend sanded down and done in like a black lacquer or to buy a tactical stock & forend?
Old 04-05-2012, 15:29   #28
herose

Tactical Shotguns

Here's the one that rides in my patrol car. Has a tac star side mount for extra shells, and the adjustable stock holds five more. Also has tlr 3 light up front (a must for any long defense weapon imho) and has a fiber optic front sight that snaps over the barrel which works very well. Could have traded it for issued Remington but like the old Winchester better.
Old 04-05-2012, 17:10   #29
KUZZ661

Quote:
Originally Posted by herose View Post
Tactical Shotguns

Here's the one that rides in my patrol car. Has a tac star side mount for extra shells, and the adjustable stock holds five more. Also has tlr 3 light up front (a must for any long defense weapon imho) and has a fiber optic front sight that snaps over the barrel which works very well. Could have traded it for issued Remington but like the old Winchester better.
How long is the barrel on that? And in your opinion how much do you think it would cost for me to make mine look like this ? Right now its stock looks the same as it did when bought in 1979 Winchester model 1200.
Old 04-05-2012, 17:27   #30
Rob1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
Ok, I have an old Winchester Defender 1300 pump shotgun, and its a nice gun, but I have a hankering for a more "tactical" gun.

Should I buy a collapsible stock and forearm, and stick with the old girl, or buy a 590A1 of 870 already done?

Has anyone here added a collapsible stock and forearm to an old Defender? Any suggestions?
I also have a 1300 Defender...... short barrel, long magazine, synthetic stock. Only wish the barrel was shorter!

Last edited by Rob1109; 04-05-2012 at 17:30..
Rob1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 17:36   #31
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
How long is the barrel on that? And in your opinion how much do you think it would cost for me to make mine look like this ? Right now its stock looks the same as it did when bought in 1979 Winchester model 1200.

Cost me about $250 to get from this:

[IMG]Tactical Shotguns[/IMG]

to this:

Tactical Shotguns
For the last time
Old 04-06-2012, 21:04   #32
herose

Quote:
posted by Kuzz661
How long is the barrel on that? And in your opinion how much do you think it would cost for me to make mine look like this ? Right now its stock looks the same as it did when bought in 1979 Winchester model 1200

It is a 18 inch barrel. The adjustable stock I found on ebay for $40. The synthetic forend ebay $10. The HiViz snap on front sight $15. The tacstar side saddle $25. The tlr light was issue so it was free. But on my AR I have an Olight that I really like that I got for around 40 bucks.

So all total you are prolly looking at $125 for everything, maybe cheaper if you shop hard and get lucky.
Old 04-06-2012, 21:23   #33
KUZZ661

Quote:

It is a 18 inch barrel. The adjustable stock I found on ebay for $40. The synthetic forend ebay $10. The HiViz snap on front sight $15. The tacstar side saddle $25. The tlr light was issue so it was free. But on my AR I have an Olight that I really like that I got for around 40 bucks.

So all total you are prolly looking at $125 for everything, maybe cheaper if you shop hard and get lucky.
so I have one last question my 28 inch barrel is original for hunting. Should I cut it or try to find another one and if i have it cut will it still work properly? And if I cut it will it diminish the value of the gun ? I wanna make it look like yours and I really the 1200/1300s are one of the best old guns made and I just wanna make sure I'm doing the right thing turning it into looking like a old police gun and working like one also meaning if I have it cut will it still be the same and work the same as if I purchased a riot or defender barrel for like 200.00 $
Old 04-06-2012, 21:54   #34
herose

Quote:
so I have one last question my 28 inch barrel is original for hunting. Should I cut it or try to find another one and if i have it cut will it still work properly? And if I cut it will it diminish the value of the gun ? I wanna make it look like yours and I really the 1200/1300s are one of the best old guns made and I just wanna make sure I'm doing the right thing turning it into looking like a old police gun and working like one also meaning if I have it cut will it still be the same and work the same as if I purchased a riot or defender barrel for like 200.00 $
If it was me and there were any way possible then I would leave it alone and search for a defender. With diligence and a little luck I have seen them on gunbroker and auction arms go for under $300.

However if you cut yours down it will work. It will become a cylinder bore which is what the defender is. I don't know about any mag tube extentions being made for the winchester that would allow the 7 shot mag but there may be. Though again by the time you paid for cutting your barrel and getting a mag extention you could have come close to a used defender in good shape. Hope this helps.
Old 04-06-2012, 22:20   #35
KUZZ661

Quote:
If it was me and there were any way possible then I would leave it alone and search for a defender. With diligence and a little luck I have seen them on gunbroker and auction arms go for under $300.

However if you cut yours down it will work. It will become a cylinder bore which is what the defender is. I don't know about any mag tube extentions being made for the winchester that would allow the 7 shot mag but there may be. Though again by the time you paid for cutting your barrel and getting a mag extention you could have come close to a used defender in good shape. Hope this helps.
Thank you herose that was my main concern is that it would still work and be efficient I saw the Mac tubes were around 45-50$ for 7 shots to 18 inch barrel and 10 shot for 22 inch barrel is yours 7 or 10 ?
Old 04-06-2012, 22:40   #36
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

I'm using a Choate +2 (7 shot) mag extension.

https://secure.riflestock.com/catalo...6&NewProduct=0

Worth a look.
For the last time
Old 04-06-2012, 22:49   #37
KUZZ661

so when i change it over its gonna make it worth more money if I ever sell it ?
Old 04-06-2012, 23:14   #38
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
so when i change it over its gonna make it worth more money if I ever sell it ?
Not a bit.
For the last time
Old 04-06-2012, 23:32   #39
countrygun

I am of the opinion that the "social" shotgun should be slick, smooth,and handy for 99.9% of all civillian "operators". "Tacticalizing" them works against all of those things. The farthest I go is ghost ring sights (on one of mine) and a butt cuff ammo holder.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 23:40   #40
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
I am of the opinion that the "social" shotgun should be slick, smooth,and handy for 99.9% of all civillian "operators". "Tacticalizing" them works against all of those things. The farthest I go is ghost ring sights (on one of mine) and a butt cuff ammo holder.
I'm of the opinion that an onboard light is mandatory for any defensive long gun. Target ID is critical.
For the last time