SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:47   #1
FiremanMike
Way too busy

GSSF competitions...

I looked over the descriptions of the stages and then watched a YouTube video of each. They seem kind of boring.. Is the big draw to GSSF matches the opportunity to win a glock?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallNotBeInfringed
I humbly submit I have over one million Concealed Carry hours. First license is from early 80's.
FiremanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:57   #2
DannyR

GSSF Competition is all about accuracy at speed, not an athletic/gymnastic/track contest. There is no running, jumping, crawling, drawing from a holster, or speed reloads. You may consider the appeal of GSSF as:

1. easy to shoot
2. extremely difficult to win
3. fair competition against stock Glocks
4. The prize platform, including pistol, cash and merchandise awards.

Check the COnyers, GA Final Results to get an idea of all the prizes awarded at a match, or pick the finals of a match near you. See http://www.gssfonline.com/match-info.cfm?results=1

GSSF draws some of the finest Master Glock shooters in the USA, but Masters compete only against Masters. In the Finals, masters have at * after their name.

Closest matches to you may be Dayton and Marietta, Ohio.
Bull Dawg #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by DannyR; 03-07-2012 at 10:00..
DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:16   #3
davsco

similar to steel challenge, shooting from stationary positions at varying arrays of targets. great way to get a little competition in, get more familiar with your glock, also seems to be pretty family-oriented.

if you want something more exciting, get into idpa or uspsa, where you get to run around shooting at stationary and moving targets, or 3 gun where you do that with pistol, rifle and shotgun.
davsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:08   #4
waktasz
Gamer Scumbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanMike View Post
Is the big draw to GSSF matches the opportunity to win a glock?
Yes..
waktasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:13   #5
ron59
Bustin Caps

I'm a 'B' class USPSA shooter, I love the sport. And usually when I shoot, I beat most of the other Bs and even some As. I'm decent.
I also shoot some IDPA, don't enjoy that nearly as much. Technically I'm an SS, but I missed Expert by 1/2 second last year, imagine I will make it this year?

GSSF? While it doesn't use the holster, reloads on the clock, or movement, I find it the most challenging AND fun. Why? You have to be fast AND accurate. GSSF punishes misses way worse than USPSA ever thought about. (And by misses, I'm talking about .1" - 2.1" outside the 8" A ring.) It's fun to try and improve, plus I want to WIN a gun based on performance. I have 2 second placess, 3 thirds with my G17 and 3 thirds with my G30SF (different division). I keep shooting scores that in previous years would have won, but there's always somebody who comes out to beat me. But sooner or later....

Yeah, GSSF *looks* boring on video. And if you just go and spray bullets around, maybe it wouldn't be fun. But the *challenge* is to do it and do it well.

Give it a try. If you're not finishing top 10, maybe you need to work on your shooting skills. It will definitely show you your weaknesses.

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!

Last edited by ron59; 03-07-2012 at 12:14..
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:07   #6
FiremanMike
Way too busy

How many mags do I need to have and how many rounds per mag? I'm thinking about doing the subcompact with my glock 26 and maybe the big guns one (forget the name) with my g30 (or my 21)
Quote:
I humbly submit I have over one million Concealed Carry hours. First license is from early 80's.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:50   #7
lethal tupperwa

at least 4 per gun

some load 10 and have a barney mag to put one in the chamber

11 max in the gun

but READ the rules.

if on the 5 to Glock you fire 11 you just cost yourself 10 points.

as for boring ask the 800 to 1000 people who show up at some matches.

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER
lethal tupperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:07   #8
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:
How many mags do I need to have and how many rounds per mag? I'm thinking about doing the subcompact with my glock 26 and maybe the big guns one (forget the name) with my g30 (or my 21)
There's a rule change now with "the big guns".
There is a Heavy Metal division where you'd shoot your G21. You would load 11 max, two shots per paper target.

The Major Sub is for the G30. This division was created so the G36 could shoot. Only heavy caliber subcompacts can shoot it. You load 7 rounds max. 1 shot per paper. The *real* killer is you only have 7 rounds available for the 6 steel plates. Separates the men from the boys.

Quote:
Old 03-08-2012, 13:24   #9
FiremanMike
Way too busy

Are mag extensions allowed (for grip, obviously not for capacity).
Quote:
Old 03-08-2012, 14:23   #10
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:
Are mag extensions allowed (for grip, obviously not for capacity).
You can use Glock or Pearce extensions, that is all.

You can also use a G17/G29 mag in a G26, but you can't use a grip sleeve with it. (obviously true for other caliber guns as well)

I really recommend you go here:
http://www.gssfonline.com/glockrpt/glkrpt_archives.htm

And download the most recent Glock Report (or you may have a hard copy at home).
It has ALL the rules, particularly what you can or cannot do to your guns (short story, has to be a glock part, except for those Pearce extensions). ANY notch/post sights can be used, as can grip tape.

You can have Glock extended slide releases or mag releases, any combination of Glock trigger parts ('-' connector, or NY trigger spring, etc).

The only thing probably not in those rules is that new division I mentioned earlier.
There used to be a MajorSub division, that got changed into Heavy Metal. Now there will be BOTH.
MajorSub is subcompacts with 7 in gun
Heavy Metal is major calibers with 11 in gun (could shoot G30 here too if you wanted).

Quote:

Last edited by ron59; 03-08-2012 at 14:27..
Old 03-08-2012, 18:26   #11
Njanear
Nagant-ophile

Quote:
I looked over the descriptions of the stages and then watched a YouTube video of each. They seem kind of boring.. Is the big draw to GSSF matches the opportunity to win a glock?
GSSF is a great opportunity for the casual shooter who can't afford to be a member of a nice gun club but wants to participate in some fun competitive shooting with their Glock. As Ron59 said, in these matches, there are pretty healthy penalties for rushed shots, so it really emphasizes accuracy over speed (as well as removes the requirement to own some decent 'quick draw' holster to participate in the match - you can literally bag up your nightstand gun and bring it with you).

GSSF hosts great matches and there are lots of great people that shoot it. And what other match offers free gun checks and parts replacement, as well as gives out so many random prizes to those that aren't great shooters but are trying their best to learn/improve shooting skills?
GlockTalk Clubs- #10 Georgia Glocker; #3745 Bull Dawgs; #600: 10 Ring, .40S&W, Sub Club, Long Slide, Niners, Wheelhouse, MilSurp, Rimfire, 1911, Black Rifle
Njanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 20:10   #12
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethal tupperwa View Post
...as for boring ask the 800 to 1000 people who show up at some matches.
Well technically 800-1000 entries - but fewer people. And some matches are much smaller - not a bad thing...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:58   #13
FiremanMike
Way too busy

One last question, do you just show up and sign in and they will run you through, or are certain divisions scheduled for certain days/times. Essentially, should I plan on this being two days or one?
Quote:
Old 03-11-2012, 07:40   #14
lethal tupperwa

you may shoot either of the 2 days.

It is much better to preregister.

Dayton, Oh. is May 12 and 13.

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER
lethal tupperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:49   #15
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:
One last question, do you just show up and sign in and they will run you through, or are certain divisions scheduled for certain days/times. Essentially, should I plan on this being two days or one?
As Lethal said... you can shoot either day.
If you want to shoot it's *really* best if you pre-register. Then you can walk in, and grab your stickers (they will go on the scoresheets at each stage) and you can go shoot. Registration at the event is slow/painful. Have to fill out a form, stand in the line, they run credit cards through the machine.... people who do that are usually new and don't realize how much of a line there is. I've seen it take over an hour just for that. Not me.

If you're only shooting 2 or 3 divisions, you can shoot them back-to-back, or at most with one other shooter between the last one. Of course, that's true only if you have enough magazines. you need 4 per gun you're gonna shoot. Reloading on the line holds people up and will throw off your rhythm.

I will shoot Competition division first, as a warm up to my Am Civ division, both with my G17 (I have 8 mags). Those two I will shoot back-to-back (well, there is the walk out to score/paste). Then I will shoot my G30 for Major Sub.

I usually show up at 8:30 for my stickers, start shooting at 9. I've been through in as little as 2 hours, Griffin, GA 2012 took 5 hours (second largest match ever, didn't have enough bays for all the people on Saturday). Typically done in 3 to 3.5 hours, easy.

Quote:

Last edited by ron59; 03-11-2012 at 09:50..
Old 03-11-2012, 10:59   #16
FiremanMike
Way too busy

4 mags for each gun will get me from start to finish or is 4 mags enough for each stage?
Quote:
Old 03-11-2012, 11:27   #17
SARDG

Quote:
4 mags for each gun will get me from start to finish or is 4 mags enough for each stage?
Glock 'M stage requires 3 mags for each gun you are going to shoot on the firing line. (There are 3 'strings' in this stage.)

5 to Glock stage requires 3 mags for each gun you are going to shoot on the firing line. (There are 3 'strings' in this stage.)

Glock the Plates stage requires 4 mags for each gun you are going to shoot on the firing line. (There are 4 'strings' in this stage.)

As Glock the Plates has the most 'strings' (4), that is the highest number of mags you will need to complete a GSSF stage with each gun.

You may reload mags between stages, but it is in poor form to reload mags during a single stage as it causes delays - and as Ron says, breaks your rhythm.

It will require 10 mags to get you through an entire gun/Division if you choose to NOT reload mags at all during the day for that gun. (3- 'M', 3- '5', 4- Plates) For instance, I shoot three 9mil guns/Divisions, all which require the same 17-round mags. I have 30 mags that I load at home before I ever head to the match.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:33   #18
FiremanMike
Way too busy

Thanks guys, maybe I'll see some of you in Dayton!
Quote:
Old 03-11-2012, 14:38   #19
FiremanMike
Way too busy

Out of curiosity, why would pierce extensions be allowed but not GAP floor plates?
Quote:
Old 03-11-2012, 18:42   #20
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:
Out of curiosity, why would pierce extensions be allowed but not GAP floor plates?
I believe the answer to that is that at one time, Glock *sold* Pearce extensions?

Something like that. There was a close affiliation at one point until Glock started making their own. Because of that, they grandfather in Pearce.

Quote: