Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:02   #1
Outer Rondacker

Crossbow for Survival???

I have surfed around and didnt find a spot anyone here on glock talk talks about crossbows and well since it was an idea of mine for survival this is where I ended up asking about them. Forgive me if I missed a post on it.

Does anyone use a crossbow that is not a budget buster that works well they can recommend and do you think it would be a good survival tool? I do as I live in upstate ny and it would work well for hunting/self defence as in I dont want everyone knowing where I and the misses are camped out if the snit had hit the fan.

I have searched the net a bit and stopped by my local bow shops and well no mater who you ask they sell the best one for the best price. I dont think so.

Stealth is key when running in small group is it not? Any input would be good just tossing this out there.
Outer Rondacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 18:54   #2
thesurefire

Look here:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1196301

The generally accepted short answer is there are dozens of better things to spend your money on for a SHTF situation.

While a bow or crossbow is quiet, I don't really see what it does that a suppressed .22 doesn't do better.

While making noise is bad, I'm not worried about "disturbing the piece" if I'm in a situation that would require me to discharge a weapon.

Remember youre much more likely to use a firearm to shoot a deer than to james bond your way into a enemy compound.
Old 03-10-2012, 19:51   #3
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurefire View Post
...While a bow or crossbow is quiet, I don't really see what it does that a suppressed .22 doesn't do better.
I don't own a crossbow, but I used to; and I'd have to agree with the above. I'd actually leave off the ".22" limitation. A subsonic round thru a good suppressor can be pellet-gun quiet, well beyond the power range of .22 rimfires.

That said - and this is a real & valid consideration - legally obtaining suppressed guns is usually substantially more expensive and more hassle than obtaining a crossbow. If I had to rely on a bow, I'd prefer a crossbow over a conventional bow; but I'd prefer to not have to rely in a bow at all.

Nothing 'wrong' with them; as tens of thousands of dead deer can attest. Just a question of prioritizing against other options; and that's largely personal and subjective.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:06   #4
nightwolf1974

Well, sinfce you are in NY I doubt you can have a crossbow OR a supressed .22 rifle. I'd check your local laws first.

Now as per the original question....................

I have crossbows, compound bows, and old fashioned recurve bows.

My personal opinion that in a survival stuation, a good compound bow is your best all around bet. Crossbows(even though are powerful, quiet and cool) are very limited if you get into a situation wher you have to fire a second (or third and fourth) shot at a target when it really counts. A compound doesn't require a cocking device that will save your fingers from the starins of pulling the 150lb pull back into the lock position. Although most of today's crossbows are compound oppossed to the old style recurve crosbows, they still are too much for some people to use.

Plus, when buying bolts(crossbow arrows) they are much more expensive than regular arrows. And most people prefer to use scopes and red-dots on crossbows that can be damaged or need batteries. Where as a compounds generally uses pin style sights.
Old 03-11-2012, 21:27   #5
Wil Ufgood
CLM Number 263
GTDS #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwolf1974 View Post
Well, sinfce you are in NY I doubt you can have a crossbow OR a supressed .22 rifle. I'd check your local laws first.

Now as per the original question....................

I have crossbows, compound bows, and old fashioned recurve bows.

My personal opinion that in a survival stuation, a good compound bow is your best all around bet. Crossbows(even though are powerful, quiet and cool) are very limited if you get into a situation wher you have to fire a second (or third and fourth) shot at a target when it really counts. A compound doesn't require a cocking device that will save your fingers from the starins of pulling the 150lb pull back into the lock position. Although most of today's crossbows are compound oppossed to the old style recurve crosbows, they still are too much for some people to use.

Plus, when buying bolts(crossbow arrows) they are much more expensive than regular arrows. And most people prefer to use scopes and red-dots on crossbows that can be damaged or need batteries. Where as a compounds generally uses pin style sights.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/68802.html
Old 03-12-2012, 09:33   #6
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

I would say it's good if you know how to use one properly and have the right bolts. Most people I know here go buy whatever they get at a sporting goods store and play in the backyard a few times and think that's that.

Well, they don't know the effective range, how accurate they can be, and they don't have hunting bolts, just the cheapie field bolts that come with the crossbow. When the chips are down, would you trust that? I wouldn't.

As for suppressed weapons, not an option in CA at all. Not allowed under our laws.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:35   #7
MoneyMaker

Recurve is best bet,No working parts to fail except string or limb,Wont find parts for compound or crossbow if there is a event.
MoneyMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 15:49   #8
JackMac

Montagnard crossbows are simple and break down if you need to take apart. Nobody I know sells a reproduction but it would be a good business opportunity for the Montagnard community in this country.
Old 03-12-2012, 16:56   #9
3rdgen40
.45 fanatic

You been watching "Walking Dead" ?
Survival/Preparedness Forum
3rdgen40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 17:09   #10
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

I have long bow, crossbow, compound bow and silencers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurefire View Post
The generally accepted short answer is there are dozens of better things to spend your money on for a SHTF situation.

While a bow or crossbow is quiet, I don't really see what it does that a suppressed .22 doesn't do better.
Given the option between crossbow and silencer, the silencer wins. Then again, I don't think you can have a silencer legally, so....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwolf1974 View Post
My compound arrows are about the same price as my crossbow bolts. They are made by eastman. They use the same broadhead.

Pins can be damaged just like scopes. My crossbow came with pins and now uses a scope as a primary sight. I could go back if I wanted.

Bows have a faster followup than a crossbow.

I can pull a crossbow out and teach someone to shoot it in minutes. Bows require practice. Bows require practice.(yes I am repeating myself.)

IMHO, the best place to purchase a crossbow is a pawn shop. I bought mine new from Cabelas. They were great. They set it up. I shot a few bolts..... IMHO, this is very easy to do.

If I were poaching where I could not have a silencer, I would use a crossbow or a bolt action 22LR. I think the crossbow would be quieter, but it would be very figure out where someone is from one 22LR shot.
Old 03-12-2012, 17:11   #11
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgen40 View Post
You been watching "Walking Dead" ?
Survival/Preparedness Forum
Why is he not looking though the scope/red dot? Does he not understand how to sight in that crossbow?
Old 03-16-2012, 14:21   #12
Outer Rondacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyMaker View Post
Recurve is best bet,No working parts to fail except string or limb,Wont find parts for compound or crossbow if there is a event.
I would love to be able to shot a recurve again but do to three opperations on the old sholder it is not a good idea. So crossbow was a better idea.

Even if I only got one shot that is fine can follow up with a gun if need be.

I should of said this in the begining. I am only looking at recurve crossbows so no compound ones in my future.

Thank you all for responding this is some great feedback as far as silencer that is a no no in nys. There is always a way around that pcp 22 rifle with some mods will outshoot my ruger all day long and with the correct muzzle brake is about as loud as a fart.
Outer Rondacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 16:24   #13
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Rebel View Post
Even if I only got one shot that is fine can follow up with a gun if need be.
In that case why not start with the gun?

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 18:51   #14
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
In that case why not start with the gun?
I was thinking the same thing.

The only thing I could think of was....
The crossbow would be ok for deer or rabbits or ..... but if you have to go after a person then....there will be a gun involved.
Old 03-16-2012, 20:26   #15
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

With most bows, you can re-use the ammo.

Not so much with a .22
Old 03-16-2012, 22:16   #16
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyJacket View Post

Not so much with a .22
I'm pretty sure that given the cost, size and weight of .22 ammo the .22 comes out ahead.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:37   #17
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyJacket View Post

Not so much with a .22
This.

Last edited by syntaxerrorsix; 03-17-2012 at 07:38..
syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:40   #18
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
I'm pretty sure that given the cost, size and weight of .22 ammo the .22 comes out ahead.
Sure, just as long as it's available. Eventually you are going to run out. I like the idea of being able to make my own ammo if needed.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:48   #19
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntaxerrorsix View Post
Sure, just as long as it's available. Eventually you are going to run out. I like the idea of being able to make my own ammo if needed.
How much do bolts cost now? How many times can a bolt be reused (normally)? (I had a bad habit of losing when hunting small game.)
Yes, bolts can be made, but it is difficult and time consuming.

How do 22LR cost?
How many 22LR do you store?

When I did the math many years ago, the math came out on the side of the 22LR.

This is not to say "don't get a crossbow", this is to say that there are limits to it's functionality.

Get a little of this and a little of that. I could legally use the bow during bow season where I was. I could use the 22LR for small game. Hunting with a silencer would not be legal in that state, but I have them for "the range".

Last edited by RWBlue; 03-17-2012 at 08:54..
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:59   #20
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
How much do bolts cost now? How many times can a bolt be reused (normally)? (I had a bad habit of losing when hunting small game.)
Yes, bolts can be made, but it is difficult and time consuming.

How do 22LR cost?
How many 22LR do you store?

When I did the math many years ago, the math came out on the side of the 22LR.

This is not to say "don't get a crossbow", this is to say that there are limits to it's functionality.
At any given time I'm likely to have about 2000 rounds and at least three ways to shoot them. I still like the idea of being able to create my own ammo if there were ever a need and the convenience of store bought ammo were gone.