SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:36   #1
Skyhook

Send a message via Yahoo to Skyhook

Akdal MKA 1919 or Saiga?? (12 GA)

Both of these seem like something we should all possess, right but I will most probably have to get by with just one.. but which one?

Current shooters of either or both would have comments I would really like to read, so please post, ok?

For those who are thinking about getting either, would you share your reasons for favoring one over the other? Thanks.
Skyhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 13:22   #2
bikerdog

Ive been looking at both of these and have been leaning towards a converted saiga. Main reason is the mags. The 1919 right now is still limited to 5 rounds. If the capacity is not a concern the ergonomics of the 1919 seems a bit better

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 03-10-2012, 18:05   #3
Skyhook

I have both AR/M4 and AK47s and like them each enough to cause me to pause before picking up either shotgun.

Tough one... I would like to be able to afford both--- right now.
Old 03-14-2012, 20:35   #4
NH Trucker
Needs coffee...

For the price, the Akdal beats the Saiga just on ergonomics and sights. With unconverted Saigas starting at around $600 (local to me, ymmv), you would be spending more money to convert the Saiga to that configuration than you would to just buy the Akdal. However, the Saiga does have it beat with capacity, with 8, 10, and 12 round mags, and the 20 round drums while the Akdal is still limited to 5 round magazines until someone makes higher capacity ones. Tromix is currently developing some fun accessories for it, and they have already made an SBS version of it that looks pretty sweet.

I have a Saiga 12, and I love it, but I plan to eventually pick up an Akdal someday too when more options are available for it.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:12   #5
Skyhook

NH Trucker.. Thanks. What you have posted will definitely be something I will consider when making that decision.

I know the AK platform is incredibly well-known for running regardless of conditions which would stop other guns, so I wonder.. have you heard of any function problems with the AKDAL?
Old 03-15-2012, 10:34   #6
NH Trucker
Needs coffee...

I haven't heard a lot about it, but there are some companies out there that are doing a lot of custom mods for them. Tromix has a handful of 922r compliant parts (ATF bureaucracy), and a lot of the other companies that specialized in Saiga 12 parts are coming out with parts for the 1919. Firebird Precision has made a magazine extension for it to up the capacity to 10 rounds, but I have no idea what that would cost. They also build full custom 1919s. To buy a full custom gun from them though is around $1900, or $1300 for their mods to a gun you provide. Tac47 also makes a custom gun for a few hundred less, and it incorporates a Chaos quad rail.

Best I can offer is decide which one fills your purposes the best and get that one first, then save for the other and get it later. I plan on getting a 1919 in the next year or two, and hope someone can make a drum for it, because that would be badass!
Old 03-15-2012, 12:34   #7
Skyhook

I do like the idea of a 10 rnd or !drum!.

The only gripe I have about my Benelli M2 is that it needs to have more in reserve.

Ten rnds. with the AKDAL seems close to perfect. I think my mind is made up on that, especially when considering the locations of the safeties and mag releases.
Old 03-15-2012, 19:00   #8
NH Trucker
Needs coffee...

Yeah, the location of the mag release is better than on the Saiga. However, there is a mag release for the Saiga that extends back to where you can just hit it with your trigger finger. I plan to get one for mine.

Tactical Shotguns

The safety isn't too bad. Just swipe it down with your finger or hand. But I do know what you're saying. Those are easier to get used to on an AR.

I still say get both. Because in the end, you know you want a Saiga too...

Tactical Shotguns

Tactical Shotguns

Tactical Shotguns

You know you want one
Old 03-15-2012, 19:35   #9
cciman

I have a converted Saiga12 with a folding stock and a 4-rail front handguard, and red dot mounted.
Not a lightweight, with 5-rounds loaded. A real mean MOFO weapon. for MOFO situations, not for the faint at heart.

I also have a Mossberg 930SPX, which is much more nimble and lighter weight for 8 rounds. So far very dependable, and very dirty to clean

Need some real world reviews of the 1919 before I'd buy one.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:34   #10
fwm

I only can speak about the Saiga 12 GA. I love it. Shoots well, has 10 and 12 round mags available that all seem to function as they are supposed to.

Best of all, it is based on the AK-47. Reliable as heck.
Old 03-16-2012, 16:26   #11
MarkCO
CLM Number 245
Charter Lifetime Member

Firebird is making conversions (922R compliant) and I have handled a few of them. They also have a Gen2 mag coming out. Firebird is the only RAAC approved shop for doing the conversions, which might make a difference to some people since all the paperwork is done correctly. When they come out with a few of their "still to be released parts" I think the 1919 will be the front-runner for sure.
.40 S&W Club #1, 1911 Club #1067
NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor
www.CarbonArms.us
MarkCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:53   #12
docwade

I currently own two full magwell converted saigas and have done two others. They are one of my favorite conversion shotguns. I would like to buy on of the 1919's and convert it. They look like a very nice platform. You can build your saiga now, you will have to wait for parts for the 1919.
docwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 23:21   #13
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

Definitely go with the Saiga. The 1919 doesn't have parts ready yet to make it legal (922R compliant) or magazines! Sure, there are a few parts out there, but barely. For the Saiga, no problem. Plenty of accessories. And kind of silly to not be able to buy high capacity mags for your semi-auto shotgun. For the saiga, besides the 20 round drums, the ten round AGP mags are super reliable, and reasonably priced. Fill up a few of those, and you're good to go.

Sure, they'll be ready eventually. But do you really want to wait? Also, I'm not totally sure, but I think some folks were griping about the 1919 receiver not being able to readily accept different stocks?

I thought about the Akdal, but I guess my take is that I'd rather wait a couple years and let someone else do all the dirty work. Let them get the design just right, let the parts get developed, and the mags manufactured. In the meantime, I'll be out shooting my Saigas...

Cheers

(p.s. read up on it at the Saiga 12 forum they have a whole section devoted to the Akdals)
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:23   #14
stiletto raggio

Saiga. Most parts are common with regular AKs and there are tons of Saiga-specific accessories. Cheaper initially. Easy to mod at home. Do it.
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.” -John 15:13

"Here's the truth, which you know in your heads and hearts already: Ineffective, unfocused violence leads to more violence. Limp, panicky, half-measures lead to more violence. However, complete, fully-thought-through, professional, well-executed violence never leads to more violence because, you see, afterwards, the other guys are all dead." –Larry Miller
stiletto raggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:35   #15
Skyhook

SAIGA it most probably will be and sooner than I had planned.
The shop south of here is selling them for ~$700.

Old 04-04-2012, 16:47   #16
MarkCO
CLM Number 245
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Glocker View Post
Definitely go with the Saiga. The 1919 doesn't have parts ready yet to make it legal (922R compliant) or magazines! Sure, there are a few parts out there, but barely. SNIP

Also, I'm not totally sure, but I think some folks were griping about the 1919 receiver not being able to readily accept different stocks?
Guess you have not heard of Firebird Precision. Jim, the mad genious behind some of the best Saigas, who does not have time to mess with them anymore now that Firebird is the official 922r convertor for RAAC. He is working on version 3 of the mags. Has MORE than enough parts for 922r compliant conversions. The guys who are running the Akdals will probably thank you for staying with the Saiga though.
.40 S&W Club #1, 1911 Club #1067
NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor
www.CarbonArms.us
MarkCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:41   #17
tango44

Saiga of course!
tango44 is offline   Reply With Quote