Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 21:20   #1041
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModGlock17 View Post
Here is an interesting context that I am sure many people don't know, unless you've lived in Central Florida for extended time and have heard the underlying history of the region, some through tales from old timers at the coffee shop hang outs and documents at the local libraries that have now made some megabytes at internet history sites.

Some 40-60yrs ago, this region of Florida had been a hot bed for the Klan. There are many stories about how black men walking with white women, then completely "disappeared" from the face of the earth days later. I've collected earfuls of such stories but they are hard to identify as tales or history. However, from the volumes of such stories and the fervent attitude that accompanied the stories as they were told to me, I think there's a lot of truth in them.

Sanford, FL is no stranger to black/white controversy. There's a story of Harry Moore who was a Black activist registering so many blacks to vote. Moore and his wife died from their injuries when their house was fire-bombed around Xmas 1951. Stories of black business owners got stopped by police for no particular reason, etc. And there are stories of people just disappeared after conflicts with whites. All of these are backdrop to the current event, as it may explain how blacks view this event in the context of history.

perhaps if you are bored, you may find some of them made way to the internet.

No excuse. Just interesting backdrop!
It is interesting because a lot of the roots of the current underlying turmoil go back to those times. I was stationed in Orlando in 1967. Racial tensions were strong then.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
Old 04-01-2012, 21:21   #1042
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeBadOne View Post
Please detail for us how the PD could/should have "handled it better".

Thanks in advance
MtnBiker, I too am interested in what you think sanford PD could or should have done better

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 04-01-2012 at 21:21..
Old 04-01-2012, 21:59   #1043
whoflungdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeBadOne View Post
Please detail for us how the PD could/should have "handled it better".

Thanks in advance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
MtnBiker, I too am interested in what you think sanford PD could or should have done better

Not to answer for MTNbiker, but so far my experience with people with these views want Zimmerman falsely arrested to show they are working on the investigation.

GTDS Certified Member #9
Old 04-01-2012, 22:27   #1044
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

If Zimmerman is judged to be legal, he should file a civil suit against the family for causing him stress and making him shoot the kid

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
Old 04-01-2012, 22:32   #1045
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
If Zimmerman is judged to be legal, he should file a civil suit against the family for causing him stress and making him shoot the kid
The family? I definitely disagree.

Specific news media? Would like to see that.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 04-01-2012 at 22:32..
Old 04-01-2012, 22:40   #1046
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
The family? I definitely disagree.

Specific news media? Would like to see that.

OK. You disagree.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
Old 04-01-2012, 22:42   #1047
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
OK. You disagree.
Okay, I'll bite...aware me as to how the family is responsible for "making him shoot the kid"

Old 04-02-2012, 04:31   #1048
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
It is interesting because a lot of the roots of the current underlying turmoil go back to those times. I was stationed in Orlando in 1967. Racial tensions were strong then.
I lived in Orlando in the 80's and there were KKK members around then. I recall the story of a white power skinhead band getting some sponsorship from the Klan (Brutal Assault, from Jacksonville). Orlando in the 80's was also home to a white power skinhead group, O-Town Skinheads - that first started using the crossed hammers, from The Wall as a skinhead symbol - 2 members of that group, and of local white power band, the Bully Boys, later moved to Texas and, based on that symbol, founded the Hammerskins and reformed the band.

"The Hammerskins are considered the United States' most well-organized white power skinhead group. ... In addition to the five chapters in the United States, Hammerskin chapters exist in Canada, France, Italy, Germany, the Netherlands, Hungary, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, New Zealand and Australia."

Not bad for a couple of local guys from Orlando.

However, there were also some large black gangs and at least one black supremacist group linked to some murders, that the paper called the "Yawehs" - some sort of religious thing, best I recall.

Last edited by Bren; 04-02-2012 at 04:33..
Old 04-02-2012, 04:50   #1049
Misty02

Quote:
And they will remain strong for an eternity if fueled by others. Even if people try to work through it, there are others unwilling to let go that continue to bring it up as often as they possibly can.

I am part of a minority; I refused to state that in the census and listed us as ďAmericansĒ. I know that official documents in some places list us as Hispanic because we continue to receive poling calls where they want our opinion as representative of the Republican-Hispanic population. Iíve received at least 2 calls asking what is important for a Hispanic female. I would be a tad more cooperative if the callers just addressed me as the American citizen I am. If politicians only knew how that ticks off some Americans they might have a different script for their callers. It is as if certain segments of society refuses to accept full integration and provide a constant reminder of heritage that is not relevant, other than observing some traditions at home. As long as there are labels as Hispanic-American, African-American, Jewish-American and any other hyphenated American, people will continue to feel as outsiders in lieu of part of the overall American population.

I donít have to accept it and I donít. I know Iím not a natural born American citizen, but my children and grandchildren are. If where your parents, grandparents or ancestors were from is important, then all Americans should be hyphenated something unless they were Native Americans.

I wonít play the game by accepting such labels, unless others refuse to accept it as well it wonít go away, now or ever. That also means you canít accept benefits because you are part of a segment of society, I wouldnít accept money for college because I was Hispanic, but I accepted a grant based on my grades.

"In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them." - Sun Tzu

Outpost Member #69
Old 04-02-2012, 04:51   #1050
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Am I the only one who finds it odd that Zimmerman fired only once? I'd be really curious to discover the angle of that bullet path, too. I'd, also, like to know more about, 'the jewelry' reported to be found in Martin's backpack - What's up with that?
Old 04-02-2012, 06:04   #1051
Misty02

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2012/03/2...gela-corey-jvm

Prosecutor: We haven't spoken to Zimmerman

"I wish there was this much outrage each time an innocent citizen is murdered."

ETA: I also agree with Russ' next post, prayer versus protest might be a better outlet for all involved.

"In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them." - Sun Tzu

Outpost Member #69

Last edited by Misty02; 04-02-2012 at 07:28.. Reason: edited to add "innocent" and agree with Russ' next post
Old 04-02-2012, 06:43   #1052
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty02 View Post

"I wish there was this much outrage each time a citizen is murdered."
People need to listen to this. Angela Corey, the Special Prosecutor, recognizes the family's need for information and says she'll provide it in a timely manner, but the investigation is ongoing.

Her last statement in the clip when asked about the 18 protests planned responded that she wished people would hold prayer rallies instead of protest rallies. She said everyone involved needs peoples prayers right now.

Funny, isn't it. Aren't some of the most vocal organizers of these protests preachers?

Old 04-02-2012, 07:44   #1053
ZombieKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
Am I the only one who finds it odd that Zimmerman fired only once? I'd be really curious to discover the angle of that bullet path, too. I'd, also, like to know more about, 'the jewelry' reported to be found in Martin's backpack - What's up with that?
From what has been put out in the media and it has not been confirmed by police of course:

In the fight the gun came out. There was a struggle over the gun and it appears that Martin was holding the slide and when the gun was fired this prevented the gun from cycling and loading another round. So one shot.

The jewelry and a screwdriver was found in Martins backpack at school. He was under investigation for possible burglary.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
;)
Old 04-02-2012, 07:45   #1054
ModGlock17

Quote:

Funny, isn't it. Aren't some of the most vocal organizers of these protests preachers?
Preaching is a forum to exert control and regularly scheduled "air time" to an audience of their own, not because they are believers in Jesus.

Furthermore, some are just trouble makers looking for a reason to rebel (I would not elevate them to the status of "rebels"). Since Sanford is a site where an NAACP official was eliminated back in 1951 (Moore), I get the idea that these trouble makers would not mind having a place in the history book, which is a huge jump from where they are right now.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:53   #1055
ModGlock17

Another 17 yrs old shot in Sanford early this Monday morning.
http://www.wesh.com/news/30815828/detail.html

Protest Plus?

And a 20yrs old shot dead from Sunday, in nearby area.
http://www.wesh.com/news/30815650/detail.html

Protest Plus Plus.

Jesseh gonna be busy.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:56   #1056
RussP

Here is an article that reports that police did photograph Zimmerman's injuries. It is way down in the article.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46922042.../#.T3mriqtSTw1

There is also information about why Martin's family did not start looking for him for so long.

There is much more background on both Zimmerman and Martin. It's organized and readable.

Last edited by RussP; 04-02-2012 at 08:08..
Old 04-02-2012, 07:58   #1057
whoflungdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty02 View Post

"I wish there was this much outrage each time an innocent citizen is murdered."

ETA: I also agree with Russ' next post, prayer versus protest might be a better outlet for all involved.

I like what I'm hearing from the prosecutor so far. She must be under quite a bit of pressure and scrutiny right now...

GTDS Certified Member #9
Old 04-02-2012, 08:05   #1058
bear62

Quote:
Here is an article that reports that police did photograph Zimmerman's injuries. It is way down in the article.

There is also information about why Martin's family did not start looking for him for so long.

There is much more background on both Zimmerman and Martin. It's organized and readable.
Russ, what article are you referring to?
Old 04-02-2012, 08:18   #1059
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Like many posters, you have misstated the facts - undisputed facts - of what is alleged to have happened. There is no version of this story claiming anybody ran or was chased, only that Zimmerman followed or walked toward Martin.
Purhaps you are correct...Purhaps "chased" is not the correct term. As I said, I am not trying to judge the end result or who attacked who. Only that he "pursued"- "followed" "trailed" a suspicious teen in some fashion. It doesnt change the point I was attempting to make.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:31   #1060
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear62 View Post
Russ, what article are you referring to?
The one I went back and put in the link for...

Last edited by RussP; 04-02-2012 at 08:40..

Closed Thread