Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 10:57   #1301
ModGlock17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
52 pages - has everything been discussed?
yes, but we have to start over every time new evidence comes out....

Old 04-06-2012, 11:13   #1302
Misty02

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkscott View Post
Good thing I watched the video before I posted. I was going to post that in TX, the penal code section 9.61 states:

§ 9.61. PARENT-CHILD. (a) The use of force, but not
deadly force, against a child younger than 18 years is justified:
(1) if the actor is the child's parent or stepparent or
is acting in loco parentis to the child; and
(2) when and to the degree the actor reasonably
believes the force is necessary to discipline the child or to
safeguard or promote his welfare.
(b) For purposes of this section, "in loco parentis"
includes grandparent and guardian, any person acting by, through,
or under the direction of a court with jurisdiction over the child,
and anyone who has express or implied consent of the parent or
parents.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, § 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974.
Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, § 1.01, eff. Sept. 1,

But the judge was out of Corpus Christi, TX. I wonder if there was more to the evidence than the media released (that would never happen, would it ). BTW, I spank my kids when they need it.

That is always a possibility; however, the judge’s own comment alone is all telling. He’s talking about a spanking, not child abuse, and continues to mention that is the way it was done before but you don’t go around spanking kids today. It wasn’t the media misquoting him, it was his own statement

"In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them." - Sun Tzu

Outpost Member #69
Old 04-06-2012, 12:34   #1303
Southswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveksux View Post
If I may, the "someone else" who's opinion everyone should REALLY be worried about is the local prosecutor. He's the one that will decide to file charges if he thinks your property is not worth someone else dying for.

Randy
"Steve" don't put the cart before the horse. Maybe I should have put it this way: does a criminal think my stuff is worth dying for?

Last edited by Southswede; 04-06-2012 at 12:45..
Old 04-06-2012, 12:43   #1304
Southswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty02 View Post
[FONT=Verdana]

May I turn the question back to you? Based on your skills, physical condition and knowledge, do you believe you have the capability to successfully follow someone because there have been break-ins in your neighborhood and you wish to prevent another? Would the property of your neighbor, or yours, be worth the risk? Can you handle what would likely come your way? The answer for you may be yes. For me is no, and sadly, there are likely more people on my side of the fence than on the opposite one.

My answer is of course yes. It was an easy answer for me to make.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)
Old 04-06-2012, 12:45   #1305
Southswede

Quote:
Then you shot in defense of life, not property...

I always say, when I'm more afraid of what the guy in front of me is going to do to me in the next 7 seconds than I am of what my cellmate will do to me in the next 7 years... time to hesitate is over. as long as I'm reasonable, its a good shoot and I shouldn't have to worry about the 7 years.

Randy
And this is what it comes down to Randy.
Old 04-06-2012, 14:47   #1306
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southswede View Post
"Steve" don't put the cart before the horse. Maybe I should have put it this way: does a criminal think my stuff is worth dying for?
I got exactly what you meant. How do you figure my reply doesn't apply in that case too?

Randy
Old 04-06-2012, 15:01   #1307
Misty02

Quote:

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)
I understand what you mean. Just do your best to make sure that in your endeavor to do so, you have in fact observed evil being done.

"In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them." - Sun Tzu

Outpost Member #69
Old 04-06-2012, 15:22   #1308
Misty02

Denials, details continue to bubble up in Trayvon Martin shooting case

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/0...ble.html#morer

The former prosecutor assigned to the Trayvon Martin case participated in a “suspicious” meeting with police on the night of the disputed shooting, Martin’s family alleged on Monday.

Outpost Member #69
Old 04-06-2012, 15:40   #1309
cgjane

Quote:

How about letting the professionals handle it? Like the Police...
Old 04-06-2012, 17:00   #1310
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Denials, details continue to bubble up in Trayvon Martin shooting case

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/0...ble.html#morer

The former prosecutor assigned to the Trayvon Martin case participated in a “suspicious” meeting with police on the night of the disputed shooting, Martin’s family alleged on Monday.

Interesting bias in reporting. The headline could have been "More alleged false accusations pertaining to the Trayvon Martin Case"

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
Old 04-06-2012, 17:17   #1311
writwing

Quote:
I picked up the latest copy of People Magazine at WallyWorld tonight. I had to pass it by three times before my curiosity got the best of me. Although I haven't read the story yet, the front cover reads "American Tragedy."
Yeah I saw that issue checking out today. It should TM as a very young teen and NOT how he looks on his website.

I wouldnt use people magazine to wipe my *****.

Last edited by writwing; 04-06-2012 at 17:18..
Old 04-06-2012, 19:32   #1312
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

nvm, would delete if we could do that

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 04-06-2012 at 19:48..
Old 04-06-2012, 20:14   #1313
Southswede

Quote:
I got exactly what you meant. How do you figure my reply doesn't apply in that case too?

Randy

Just making sure we are on the same page. Have to not only survive the incident, but the aftermath as well.
Old 04-06-2012, 20:17   #1314
Southswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjane View Post
How about letting the professionals handle it? Like the Police...
Don't the police actively encourage neighborhood watch programs? Don't the police ask for citizen involvement with community based policing and crime watch programs?
Old 04-06-2012, 20:20   #1315
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Don't the police actively encourage neighborhood watch programs? Don't the police ask for citizen involvement with community based policing and crime watch programs?
They do around here, yes. They need eyes and ears. Nobody knows what is ordinary or abnormal for a neighborhood better than the residents.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 04-06-2012, 22:43   #1316
vkscott
Retired USAF

Quote:
That is always a possibility; however, the judge’s own comment alone is all telling. He’s talking about a spanking, not child abuse, and continues to mention that is the way it was done before but you don’t go around spanking kids today. It wasn’t the media misquoting him, it was his own statement

I'm just saying that the judge is full of crap. I wonder where she obtained counsel and why would the let her plead guilty for spanking her child. IMO, the judge should have been able to apply the penal code to this situation. OTOH, we don't know the entire story, perhaps there was a history of CPS calls. But just hearing the short video, its frightening.

NRA Member, G30SF, Kimber Raptor II.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:28   #1317
Misty02

Quote:
I'm just saying that the judge is full of crap. I wonder where she obtained counsel and why would the let her plead guilty for spanking her child. IMO, the judge should have been able to apply the penal code to this situation. OTOH, we don't know the entire story, perhaps there was a history of CPS calls. But just hearing the short video, its frightening.
You are correct. It appears there was also an ongoing feud between her and her MIL, no clue as to who was right on that one, or even if either was. There is always more to the story than what it becomes known by the general public. My concern was with the actual statements made by the judge, not having more information to put it in context, I had no choice but to allow his words to stay on its own and it was less than comforting.

Outpost Member #69
Old 04-08-2012, 09:11   #1318
Misty02

Police Gave George Zimmerman Voice Stress Test

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...13966420120406

George Zimmerman's defense team is growing, suggesting that he's planning for a grand jury indictment and a subsequent criminal trial. Interestingly, his new attorney has begun releasing some previously unknown facts.

Outpost Member #69
Old 04-08-2012, 11:26   #1319
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

NBC news, or at this point, NoBody Cares news, is back stepping and apologizing for the "mistake" that was made by a producer for skillfully, carefully, and intentionally editing Z's 911 call to make Z sound guilty as charged by sharpton.

They advise it was a mistake. Well, that just fixes everything for Z huh?
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"You gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales

Last edited by Peace Warrior; 04-08-2012 at 12:41..
Old 04-08-2012, 12:20   #1320
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Let's recap:

CNN falsely attributed a racial slur to Zimmerman; on enhancement, their own folk say that the word was actually "cold".

ABC falsely stated that Zimmerman suffered no injury; on enhancement their own video shows gashes on the back of his head, just like his report.

The NYT (and the Atlantic, and the Village Voice, and ABC, and CBS and the Miami Herald...) falsely reported on both Zimmerman and Martin's sizes, making it appear that Z was much heavier than M.

And NBC actually willfully altered evidence of the situation, using creative editing to change what Zimmerman said.

I'm not much into this particular thread, but I'd appreciate it if people would remember these events and cut me (and others) some slack when I/we suggest waiting for investigations to be completed.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Old 04-08-2012, 12:26   #1321
Misty02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
Let's recap:

CNN falsely attributed a racial slur to Zimmerman; on enhancement, their own folk say that the word was actually "cold".

ABC falsely stated that Zimmerman suffered no injury; on enhancement their own video shows gashes on the back of his head, just like his report.

The NYT (and the Atlantic, and the Village Voice, and ABC, and CBS and the Miami Herald...) falsely reported on both Zimmerman and Martin's sizes, making it appear that Z was much heavier than M.

And NBC actually willfully altered evidence of the situation, using creative editing to change what Zimmerman said.

I'm not much into this particular thread, but I'd appreciate it if people would remember these events and cut me (and others) some slack when I/we suggest waiting for investigations to be completed.

... and I'm hoping this one is a lie too....

Armed Neo-Nazis Now Patrolling Sanford, Say They Are "Prepared" For Post-Trayvon Martin Violence

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2012/04/heavily_armed_neo-nazis_patrol.php

Outpost Member #69
Old 04-08-2012, 12:32   #1322
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:

Armed Neo-Nazis Now Patrolling Sanford, Say They Are "Prepared" For Post-Trayvon Martin Violence

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2012/04/heavily_armed_neo-nazis_patrol.php

Excerpt:

""Whenever there is one of these racially charged events, Al Sharpton goes wherever blacks need him," Schoep said. "We do similar things. We are a white civil rights organization."

He went to great lengths to contrast his organization with the New Black Panther Party, who he blamed for scaring local whites and spurring the need for NSM patrols. Schoep admits that the NSM and the Black Panthers are actually alike in that they are both racial separatists. But he sees a double-standard in the government's treatment of the two groups.

"The Black Panthers have been offering bounties and all that," he says. "But if we called for a bounty on someone's head, I guarantee we'd be locked up as quick as I could walk out of my house.""

Old 04-08-2012, 12:39   #1323
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Let's recap:

CNN falsely attributed a racial slur to Zimmerman; on enhancement, their own folk say that the word was actually "cold". ...
Sounded like punk to me, but that's just it actually, no one can say with 100% certainty.
Quote:
...ABC falsely stated that Zimmerman suffered no injury; on enhancement their own video shows gashes on the back of his head, just like his report. ...
Yes, and an NBC producer carefully, calculatingly, and purposely edited the recording, which was played on air repeatedly to possibly millions of people, to make Z "sound/appear" guilty of a crime.
Quote:
...The NYT (and the Atlantic, and the Village Voice, and ABC, and CBS and the Miami Herald...) falsely reported on both Zimmerman and Martin's sizes, making it appear that Z was much heavier than M. ...
Thousands of us were saying the networks were in absolute and willful collusion on this whole Z vs. M event. It appeasr we were all correct at this point.
Quote:
...And NBC actually willfully altered evidence of the situation, using creative editing to change what Zimmerman said. ...
Carefully, calculatingly, and purposely did so. Their so-called apology be damned. It's not an apology, it is damage control due to millions finally realizing they have been creating specific ideas in the minds of people for decades, but they have not and are NOT reporting the news anymore.
Quote:
...I'm not much into this particular thread, but I'd appreciate it if people would remember these events and cut me (and others) some slack when I/we suggest waiting for investigations to be completed.
You along with MILLIONS of others, and especially those of us in Florida who try to respect the rule of law, the LEOs, and the judicial system.

Many thousands of Officers here uphold and agree with Florida's stand your ground law for civilians.
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
Old 04-08-2012, 12:43   #1324
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:

Hegel's Dialectic (i.e., thesis, antithesis, and finally synthesis)
Old 04-08-2012, 17:51   #1325
MtnBiker
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModGlock17 View Post
Sanford, FL is no stranger to black/white controversy. There's a story of Harry Moore who was a Black activist registering so many blacks to vote. Moore and his wife died from their injuries when their house was fire-bombed around Xmas 1951. No one was ever arrested. And then there are stories of black business owners got stopped by police for no particular reason, etc. And there are stories of people just disappeared after conflicts with whites. All of these are backdrop to the current event, as it may explain how blacks view this event in the context of history.

perhaps if you are bored, you may find some of them made way to the internet.

No excuse. Just interesting backdrop!

In this 21st century, I am quite confident that the "feelings" are still alive, post MLK. It doesn't seem as blatant as in the old days, but it simmers.
I lived in Sanford, Fl for 10 years in the mid 80’s through mid-90’s. I didn’t see the bigotry you mention above. I don’t know how things were in 1951, but a lot has changed in Sanford and the rest of the world in the 60 years that have ensued.
In the 80’s Sanford changed from a largely agricultural area to one that fostered new bedroom communities for the people who work in the Orlando area. A lot of these people came from places other than Sanford. Many of the transplants were better educated and had more diverse views than the locals. As the new population grew and the existing population waned or moved away; the character of Sanford changed. I can’t tell you how things were 50 years ago, but I didn’t see evidence of Klan participation.
Those central FL communities have changed a lot since the mid-20th century. In the case of the Orlando area, it was fueled largely by Disney opening the Reedy Creek Management area (Disney World) and some bad winters that were hard on the local citrus groves. As a result a lot of agricultural land became new residences.

People's attitudes and behaviors in Sanford today have little to do with whatever the town's history was from 3 generations ago.