Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 07:56   #251
ATW525

Trayvon Martin was on the phone:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/trayvon-mar...7#.T2iINJtN_Sg
Old 03-20-2012, 08:22   #252
ATW525

Trayvon Martin's hometown Sen., Oscar Braynon, calls for hearings into Stand Your Ground law:

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/naked...round-law.html

This is somewhat important for Floridians, since it's someone who is in a position to potentially initiate changes to Florida law.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:24   #253
jhon

Zimmerman was not part of a registered National Neighborhood Watch program, which police were not aware of at the time of the incident.

Follow the rest of the story on Good morning America.

http://gma.yahoo.com/trayvon-martin-...-abc-news.html

This shows for now a whole new point of view with still more to come out during the DOJ and FBI investigations.

PS: This is similar to what ATW525 posted, but he has a video where this here is text only.

Last edited by jhon; 03-20-2012 at 08:28..
Old 03-20-2012, 08:33   #254
mrsurfboard
The Anti-Glock

Zimmerman is the poster child for anyone who opposes CC laws. Armed, police wannabe, who took the law into his own hands and killed a more then likely innocent young man. It will not end well for him and the antis will capitalize on this when they fight nationwide carry in the Senate.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:35   #255
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noway View Post
oh really , what the law on that? care to explain ? I think DUI cases typically have some limits and just having alcohol in your system is against the law.

Are you asking a question?

Someone (who I quoted) said if he were intoxicated or not would be irrelevant to the shooting.

I responded that early reports indicated he was the driver of the SUV.

If he was intoxicated, it would hardly be irrelevant because

1) It is already unlawful to operate a motor vehicle if intoxicated

2) If his judgement is impaired to operate a motor vehicle, said judgement would be called into question over the shooting.

Please let me know what parts of that don't make sense to you.

s. 316.193, F.S.

-G
Old 03-20-2012, 08:40   #256
cgjane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
The people who really know the probable answer aren't being heard as they know what type of person the deceased was. You & I don't. Was he a thug wannabe? Hot headed? Was he an honors student?

I say this as I lived in a city where an incident similar to this happened and I knew the deceased. He was a total POS but from the TV interviews and the newspaper after the incident you would have thought he rescued babies from burning buildings.

We don't have all the facts.
The kid was unarmed. Fact.

Wouldn't you turn into a fighter if you walked to the store to buy snacks, and on the way home a man starts following you and produces a weapon?

This is what happened to the poor kid. A kid, an unarmed kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATW525 View Post
Trayvon Martin's hometown Sen., Oscar Braynon, calls for hearings into Stand Your Ground law:

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/naked...round-law.html

This is somewhat important for Floridians, since it's someone who is in a position to potentially initiate changes to Florida law.
The law will be repealed for us sane law abiding citizens because of one FOOL of an IDIOT MALL NINJA WANNABE COP. Hope ZMan burns.

Last edited by cgjane; 03-20-2012 at 08:44..
Old 03-20-2012, 09:35   #257
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhon View Post
Zimmerman was not part of a registered National Neighborhood Watch program, which police were not aware of at the time of the incident.

Follow the rest of the story on Good morning America.

http://gma.yahoo.com/trayvon-martin-...-abc-news.html

This shows for now a whole new point of view with still more to come out during the DOJ and FBI investigations.

PS: This is similar to what ATW525 posted, but he has a video where this here is text only.
From that link...
According to Chris Tutko, the director of the National Neighborhood Watch program, there are about 22,000 registered watch groups nationwide, and Zimmerman was not part of a registered group, which police were not aware of at the time of the incident.
There was also an earlier story that the Neighborhood Watch program was only started two months before the shooting.

The attached image is a Google earth street view of one of the entrances. Note the Imagery Date of 4/2011, the sign at the entrance on that date. That entrance sign looks like the image I inserted.

Another discrepancy?
Attached Thumbnails
Carry Issues - Click for larger version  

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
Old 03-20-2012, 09:36   #258
mrsurfboard
The Anti-Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjane View Post
The kid was unarmed. Fact.

Wouldn't you turn into a fighter if you walked to the store to buy snacks, and on the way home a man starts following you and produces a weapon?

This is what happened to the poor kid. A kid, an unarmed kid.

The law will be repealed for us sane law abiding citizens because of one FOOL of an IDIOT MALL NINJA WANNABE COP. Hope ZMan burns.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:36   #259
jhon

Just in-

Trayvon Martin case to go to grand jury, Fla. state attorney announces. The Seminole County Grand Jury will be called to session on Tuesday, April 10.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...rney-announces
Old 03-20-2012, 09:43   #260
jhon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post

The attached image is a Google earth street view of one of the entrances. Note the Imagery Date of 4/2011, the sign at the entrance on that date. That entrance sign looks like the image I inserted.

Another discrepancy?
Makes me wonder who is doing the investigation with those posted. I am sure there is some info that has not been put out, but I hate to say it, it is beginning to sound like another police department that did a crappy ( being nice ) investigation into a killing at this point.

Let alone the reports from the media, ie: TV, News, Papers, Radio, etc. That can't get there info together, but I guess thats not new....lol
Old 03-20-2012, 10:11   #261
High Altitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Do we know conclusively who was screaming for help?
I found this.... it appears it is Zimmerman who is yelling out for help.

A man who witnessed part of the altercation contacted authorities.

"The guy on the bottom, who had a red sweater on, was yelling to me, 'Help! Help!' and I told him to stop, and I was calling 911," said the witness, who asked to be identified only by his first name, John.

John said he locked his patio door, ran upstairs and heard at least one gun shot.

"And then, when I got upstairs and looked down, the guy who was on the top beating up the other guy, was the one laying in the grass, and I believe he was dead at that point."

Read more: http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news...#ixzz1pcqHHxEC
Old 03-20-2012, 10:46   #262
cgjane

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
I found this.... it appears it is Zimmerman who is yelling out for help.

A man who witnessed part of the altercation contacted authorities.

"The guy on the bottom, who had a red sweater on, was yelling to me, 'Help! Help!' and I told him to stop, and I was calling 911," said the witness, who asked to be identified only by his first name, John.

John said he locked his patio door, ran upstairs and heard at least one gun shot.

"And then, when I got upstairs and looked down, the guy who was on the top beating up the other guy, was the one laying in the grass, and I believe he was dead at that point."

Read more: http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news...#ixzz1pcqHHxEC
Article doesn't work.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:54   #263
ATW525

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjane View Post
Article doesn't work.
http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news...od-altercation

The date is February 27th. I guess the media circus hadn't had a chance to tell witnesses what to say at that point.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:05   #264
kensteele

Quote:
Just in-

Trayvon Martin case to go to grand jury, Fla. state attorney announces. The Seminole County Grand Jury will be called to session on Tuesday, April 10.

That's all I ask for.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:13   #265
RussP

Quote:
Just in-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensteele View Post
That's all I ask for.
Now it is all about how the State's Attorney presents the case to the Grand Jury.

Will he present for a no bill, or will he present for an indictment?

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
Old 03-20-2012, 11:14   #266
c6601a

Quote:

Another discrepancy?
Neighborhood watch signs can be purchased from the internet and installed by anyone on their own property. You do not actually have to have a neighborhood watch program to do so.

We are currently in the process of exploring setting up a neighborhood watch program. At the first meeting with the local police they suggested that we put up the signs while we figure out if there is enough interest to actually set up a neighborhood watch. Maybe things are different in FL, but I suspect not.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:18   #267
c6601a

Quote:
Now it is all about how the State's Attorney presents the case to the Grand Jury.

A no-bil will invariably result in a federal indictment. The comment by Zimmerman on the 911 tape along the lines of "These **** always get away with it" will be the basis of the civil rights charge.

A no-bill also means FL residents can kiss the "Stand your ground law" goodbye.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:26   #268
c6601a

Quote:

The date is February 27th. I guess the media circus hadn't had a chance to tell witnesses what to say at that point.
Sorry, but his story does not add up.

According to him the person on the bottom was yelling specifically to this witness for help and the witness told him to stop yelling. Does that make any sense?

Then the witness went inside to call 911. By the time get got to the phone he heard a shot and saw the aggressor on the ground dead. So he decided NOT to call 911 because no attack was ongoing? Do you really buy that?
Old 03-20-2012, 11:30   #269
kensteele

Quote:

"A man who witnessed part of the altercation contacted authorities."

It is possible that Martin jumped on top of Zman after Zman chase Martin down, grabbed Martin or pushed Martin and knocked the phone from Martin's hand. Martin struck back with a swift blow to the nose and Zman slipped on the wet grass and hit the back of head on the ground. Finding himself in a horrible position, Zman pulled his weapon and fired. Shouldn't be too difficult to determine how far and what angle the bullet struck.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:33   #270
slimgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty02 View Post
Again, playing both sides because I donít have enough information, until I do, I make certain assumptions to see how a reasonable person could have reacted. Even if weíre talking about a gun-grab by Martin, what would you do if you were a 17 year old kid being followed by an adult male unknown to you and at some point you become aware he is armed? Martin canít read Zimmermanís mind, he doesnít know why he is following him, he doesnít know what his intentions are.

Very good point relative to a law abiding & reasonable thinking citizen's (Martin) attempt to get away from an armed, unknown person stalking him, but may be overlooked & downplayed as this investigation proceeds due to law enforcement's (Sanford PD) need to justify their "not enough evidence to arrest" position.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:35   #271
kensteele

Quote:

I think he will present for an indictment. But again, we don't know all the information or all the facts, this might be a slam dunk self-defense case...or not. From a different article, this was mentioned: "[State Attorney] said he called for an expeditious review from the police department, and 'areas for further investigation have been identified.'"
Old 03-20-2012, 11:41   #272
kensteele

Quote:
Originally Posted by c6601a View Post
A no-bill also means FL residents can kiss the "Stand your ground law" goodbye.
I need FL to keep that law just in case I go to FL and need to use it legitimately. Even so, it could cast a shadow on other state's stand your ground law. However, if FL is going to abuse it (or allow someone like Zman and the Sanford police to apply it at their own convenience/discretion) or use it in the spirit it was not intended, rightly FL will then deserve to lose it.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:52   #273
kensteele

not my legal advice to minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimgoodman View Post
Very good point relative to a law abiding & reasonable thinking citizen's (Martin) attempt to get away from an armed, unknown person stalking him, but may be overlooked & downplayed as this investigation proceeds due to law enforcement's (Sanford PD) need to justify their "not enough evidence to arrest" position.
Children are always told if they are stalked or grabbed or inappropriately touched by adults who are not law enforcement, to aggressively fight back and defend yourself and try to get away. Young black male children are not exempt from this. If the potential kidnapper pedofile has a gun and you are in the right position, you get that gun from him and you blow his brains out if you can do it. Any adult who would knowingly or unknowingly lay their hands on a minor child or harass them in any way can expect to draw back a nub. if you harm that child, you can expect the entire weight of the neighborhood, the law enforcement community (ex. a few departments), the state and federal government, and the entire world via social media to descent on you. Your only true friends will be your family, your lawyer (maybe not), a few sympathisers (a few here on GT), and the criminal elements of society. Are their no relevant adult/minor laws in FL covering this area?
Old 03-20-2012, 12:08   #274
dosei

Quote:
Originally Posted by c6601a View Post
Sorry, but his story does not add up.

According to him the person on the bottom was yelling specifically to this witness for help and the witness told him to stop yelling. Does that make any sense?

Then the witness went inside to call 911. By the time get got to the phone he heard a shot and saw the aggressor on the ground dead. So he decided NOT to call 911 because no attack was ongoing? Do you really buy that?
For starters...he DID call 911, his call is one of the recordings that have been released.

He saw a black male assaulting a white male, the white male was on the ground and was yelling for help.

He then simply yelled "Stop, I'm calling 911", closed his door, ran upstairs, dialed 911, and looked out the window...by this time the white male had shot the black male.

Considering the fact that everyone involved in this were male, "him" and "he" can used to refer to either of them.
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)

Last edited by dosei; 03-20-2012 at 12:37..
Old 03-20-2012, 13:05   #275
jack76590

Quote:
Quote from article that indicates there was recording made of private conversation between Trayvon Martin and his girlfriend. I did not think private calls were routinely recorded. Am I misunderstanding something. Quote from article,

"...Martin's father, Tracey Martin, and mother, Sybrina Fulton, listened to the call, along with ABC News, ashen-faced..."
Closed Thread