Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:08   #1
HolvikArms

Old G17 Serial AHXXX...Pencil bbl?

Hey folks, I'm new to this site. Was wondering if I could tap into some of your expertise as the gentleman at glock said this is the place to go.

I recently bought out a gun collection from a friend's dad who developed Alzheimer's. In the collection I came out with an early G17 serial prefix AH and Austrian proof marks. I was able to determine that the pistol was one of the 2nd thousand imported into the country but i wasn't sure if it had the original "pencil" bbl and weather or not it had the "safety" update in the ninety's. Any advice on determining this?
Glock Collector's Club
HolvikArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:34   #2
glockarmor

Pic won't open.
NRA Life member GSSF member
Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer
Old 03-10-2012, 16:25   #3
HolvikArms

try again..

lets try these...Glock Collector's ClubGlock Collector's Club

“Though defensive violence will always be ‘a sad necessity’ in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men.” — St. Augustine

Last edited by HolvikArms; 03-10-2012 at 16:28.. Reason: updating pic link
Old 03-10-2012, 17:35   #4
MakeMineA10mm
Lifetime Membership
300AAC brass

The pencil barrel is obvious when you have a later-model Glock 9mm sitting side-by-side with the pencil barrel. I don't have one to measure, but someone will probably come along soon with both a picture and a measurement for you.

As far as the trigger-parts upgrade, that one is easy: With the slide removed, look down into the frame. Look at the trigger bar that comes back from the trigger to the rear of the frame and bends over into a cruciform shape. That bar will be black/phosphate finish on the original trigger parts. If it has had the upgrade, they will be hard-chromed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Looking for: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.
MakeMineA10mm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 17:41   #5
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolvikArms View Post
lets try these...Glock Collector's ClubGlock Collector's Club
Nice score.

Old 03-10-2012, 20:59   #6
lohman

Congrats, that would be a keep in my collection. I have an AU (first 9K) imported, original parts (no safety parts added). You keeping it or selling it?

The easiest way to tell if it is a pencil (thinner walled) barrel, take a photo looking directly at the handgun, thinner barrel and more space between the barrel and slide means you have a pencil barrel.

Last edited by lohman; 03-10-2012 at 21:10..
lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:43   #7
patcrad
Great White Box

Picture shows what makeminea10 was describing (pencil on the left):
Glock Collector's Club

and this photo shows original gen 1 trigger bar in black/top:
Glock Collector's Club
photos are from Butch (I believe).

Last edited by patcrad; 03-11-2012 at 11:46.. Reason: photos
patcrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 16:15   #8
Mike Bell

were the gold-ish colored ones before or after the balck bars?
Mike Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 18:47   #9
patcrad
Great White Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
were the gold-ish colored ones before or after the balck bars?
Black was the original parts for originl gen 1's. Bottom bar was the "upgrade", or came after the original gen 1 parts.
Old 03-11-2012, 21:42   #10
MakeMineA10mm
Lifetime Membership
300AAC brass

gold-ish was a finish variation way after the Gen-1 upgrade/recall, although I suppose if you dug out an old Gen-1 that didn't get upgraded yet, at the time the gold bars were out, that variation of bar could have been used for the upgrade...

Looking for: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.
MakeMineA10mm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:59   #11
HolvikArms

Thanks for all the info guys. It turns out it is a pencil bbl and all original parts (no upgrades). The sticker on the box matches the gun, although, there is no lid or paperwork. Other then the rear sight being a bit dinged it's in really good shape.

@ Lohman: I would consider selling it. I'm a shooter by nature and a collector by accident. I have enough pieces in my safe I'm not supposed to shoot and it drives me nuts(notice the poly tech legend in my avatar that I shouldn't be shooting). If you know anyone who may be interested send them my way.

“Though defensive violence will always be ‘a sad necessity’ in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men.” — St. Augustine

Last edited by HolvikArms; 03-12-2012 at 08:05..
Old 03-12-2012, 15:46   #12
chewbackup

I have a matching lid i will sell you if need be, pm me or let me know.

Ben
chewbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:03   #13
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Sorry guys, the gold trigger bars were original, pre-upgrade equipment.

Here's an unaltered (and possibly unfired) Gen1, prefix AP with a gold trigger bar:
Glock Collector's Club

The old trigger bars had the flat top on the upper extension, and....there were early upgrade trigger bars that were the darker in color....as in 'not plated'!
Glock Collector's Club
Glock Collector's Club

HolvikArms, does the AH gun have a gold colored trigger bar?

U.S. Army-MNNG 73-83 95 Bravo
NRA Life Member
When wondering who's advise to consider, check their profile to see if they have posted anything about their training or experience.
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:30   #14
patcrad
Great White Box

Hey Butch,

Check the firing pin on that model with the gold bar. A sure sign that it did have the upgrade would be the new firing pin, extractor, and the spring loaded bearing.
Glock Collector's ClubGlock Collector's ClubGlock Collector's Club

Last edited by patcrad; 03-23-2012 at 12:35.. Reason: photos
Old 03-23-2012, 12:50   #15
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by patcrad View Post
Hey Butch,

Check the firing pin on that model with the gold bar. A sure sign that it did have the upgrade would be the new firing pin, extractor, and the spring loaded bearing.
Glock Collector's ClubGlock Collector's ClubGlock Collector's Club

NRA Life Member
When wondering who's advise to consider, check their profile to see if they have posted anything about their training or experience.
Old 03-23-2012, 14:41   #16
patcrad
Great White Box

ok, so i guess it is all original.
Old 04-01-2012, 17:09   #17
jeepwjbob

Great info here. Just stripped my gen 1 do to this thread. It's a bc0xx and all original
G17 gen 1
jeepwjbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 15:34   #18
patcrad
Great White Box

I finally received the Glock (AHxxx) pictured in the start of this post. Upon the first inspection and detail strip I found it did have the original internals. However, they are what appears to be the earliest version I have seen yet. My first thoughts were that this trigger bar was a cheap after-market version, until I went and got my other, all original AH prefix Gen 1 out of the safe and compared the trigger bars, they are the same. Anyone seen this version before? The FIRING PIN SAFETY also has some very unusual markings.

Glock Collector's Club

Last edited by patcrad; 04-06-2012 at 15:28.. Reason: thanks for the correction Butch
Old 04-04-2012, 20:33   #19
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by patcrad View Post
The trigger safety plunger also has some very unusual markings.
What's a 'trigger safety plunger'?

I'm guessing you speak of the upper extension (or some call it a 'cam')? It's that part of the trigger bar that pushes the firing pin safety up to disengage it so the firing pin can move forward to fire the gun.

The 'trigger safety' being the little lever in the trigger, and some people call the firing pin safety a 'plunger', but it's just the 'firing pin safety'.

What are the unusual markings?

NRA Life Member
Old 04-06-2012, 15:25   #20
patcrad
Great White Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
What's a 'trigger safety plunger'?

I'm guessing you speak of the upper extension (or some call it a 'cam')? It's that part of the trigger bar that pushes the firing pin safety up to disengage it so the firing pin can move forward to fire the gun.

The 'trigger safety' being the little lever in the trigger, and some people call the firing pin safety a 'plunger', but it's just the 'firing pin safety'.

What are the unusual markings?
Ok, I attribute this to having too many beers when posting and having the trigger bar on the brain. Yes, the "firing pin safety" is the correct term and the part I am referring to as having strange manufacturing marks. It has a distinct spiral mark on the face of the plunger.

Glock Collector's Club

Tags
g17 austrian