Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:34   #1
rick458
USS Texas BB-35

Bible translations

What is your favorite translation?
and
Which do you consider the Most accurate/faithful?

I have read NIV, and New KJV, but I find that the original
King James Version seem to speak to me the best, the other two translations seem TOO soft, too watered down.

Bearing fully in mind that I do not speak or read Hebrew, Aramaec, or Latin, so I have to take what translations I have read on faith and with discernment.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:32   #2
FCoulter

http://originalbiblerestored.com/
FCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:46   #3
Brucev

Once upon a time I went to seminary. There I majored in Biblical Languages... i.e., Hebrew and Greek. There I developed a very healthy appreciation of the fine English translations that are now so commonly available. For the Old Testament, I very much prefer the Revised Standard Version. For the New Testament, I very much prefer the New American Standard. They are about the best. Further, in Greek word order is important. The NASV is sufficiently close that one can use it for a "pony" when translating. As to "faithful and accurate," I prize literal translation. But, no translation is made absent the mind of the translator. I use the RSV and NASV as basic study tools. I use other sources to help me grasp the text in its context. For devotional reading I consider The Message by Eugene Peterson to be very useful.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:08   #4
Roering
Sorting nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick458 View Post
What is your favorite translation?
and
Which do you consider the Most accurate/faithful?

I have read NIV, and New KJV, but I find that the original
King James Version seem to speak to me the best, the other two translations seem TOO soft, too watered down.

Bearing fully in mind that I do not speak or read Hebrew, Aramaec, or Latin, so I have to take what translations I have read on faith and with discernment.
I've grown up in my faith as a NIV man. I love to hear the KJV but I'm not crazy about reading it (too many thee's & thou's for my taste).

I have recently switched to the RSV-CE. It is a fantastic translation. Closer to a transliteration than the NIV but it still reads well. Interestingly enough the old English is only present at certain times such as when one is speaking/praying to God. I'm only up to the 2nd book of Samuel with this translation but so far I like it.

The CE stands for Catholic Edition meaning it includes all of the books (Deutero-Cannonical) but there are non Catholic versions as well.

As for the most accurate or faithful.....well, that's going to bring out a whole lot of opinions but really it comes down to a trade off when it comes to us non Hebrew/Greek speaking folk. You could go for extreme accuracy and get something closer to a transliteration which will read like it is in broken English or sacrifice a little accuracy to get a translation which reads well into our modern English.

Never buy vegan tacos from a chick with longer armpit hair than yourself. - Woofie
Roering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 16:53   #5
teumessian_fox
She's right.

The NIV isn't a translation. It's a paraphrase. But it reads well.

The KJV is majestic, but incorrectly translated in some places so as to make it questionable. Acts 12:4, for example, translates pascha as Easter. Easter is never used in the Bible and the correct translation for pascha is Passover.

The NKJV is pretty good except it has nothing to do with the King James Version. It was published by a Lebanese businessman who decided to make a completely new translation, but wanted the title to include King James so as to broaden its market appeal.

The ASV is the most accurate translation available, but it is so accurate/precise, it's sometimes difficult to read. (Greek doesn't always translate literally into English. I too studied Greek in college.)

The RSV is accurate, but conservatives call into question the translation of "young woman" for "virgin" in Isaiah 7:14. In actuality, either is correct and in no way minimizes the "messianic" nature of the Isaiah prophecies.

The Living Bible is, as far as translations go, a joke.

I use a wide margin Cambridge King James Bible for my personal studies, but only because I've already made so many notes I'd hate to start over. If I were going to start afresh, I'd probably go with the NKJV, but I use all versions (except the NIV and/or the LB).

Last edited by teumessian_fox; 03-07-2012 at 16:55..
teumessian_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 19:38   #6
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teumessian_fox View Post
(Greek doesn't always translate literally into English. I too studied Greek in college.)
I suspect there are many languages that don't well translate into English.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Green_Manelishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 20:18   #7
rgregoryb
Sapere aude

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCoulter View Post
your translation? how convenient

"demography is destiny"
rgregoryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 20:55   #8
Tilley
Man of Steel

The NIV has had the most exhaustive work in terms of scholarships, time and money put into it. A newest version is said to have just come out.

My next favorite is the New Living Translation. It is a paraphrase, but if you compare it to the NIV, it is very close to it and is easier to read.
Tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 21:25   #9
Vic Hays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilley View Post
The NIV has had the most exhaustive work in terms of scholarships, time and money put into it. A newest version is said to have just come out.

My next favorite is the New Living Translation. It is a paraphrase, but if you compare it to the NIV, it is very close to it and is easier to read.
The NIV is somewhat of a paraphrase also. It is a "dynamic translation" according to the translators. This means that they were not as accurate with the literal translation and tried to make it fit what they thought was the meaning.

I like the New King James personally. The King James is the Bible that I have in my memory though and I like the taste of the language used in it.

Psalm 34:8 O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.

John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Last edited by Vic Hays; 03-08-2012 at 21:29..
Vic Hays is offline   Reply With Quote