Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-06-2012, 21:41   #1
RYT 2BER

Should Springfield "reload"

I notice often that an amazingly common complaint of Springfield guns is the grip safety.

I know it certainly keeps me away from them (among other things)... from forum readings and such it seems that the grip safety proves to be a wild marketing liability...

Why prevents them from redesigning some models without it? Don't know why I am thinking about this, but it seems logical no?
Old 03-06-2012, 21:46   #2
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

I've never had a single issue with agrip safety. Are you
actually talking about a 1911 or the XD series?

If you are basing your decisions upon "internet forum
opionions" you are cheating yourself of experience & knowledge.

Find a range that rents them.........find out it it does/doesn't work for YOU.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 21:55   #3
Curjo

If you've held an XD or XDM you'd realize how easily it pushes in and you can't even notice it as it sits flush against the grip unlike the 1911 version which has the part that protrudes when compressed. The 1911 just hits me wrong.
Curjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 21:58   #4
ronin.45

I've never heard that a grip safety was a problem. Springfield lists it as an added feature. It's up to the individual to decide if it's a feature they need or want.
Old 03-06-2012, 22:12   #5
RYT 2BER

Y'all are missing the point of the question... many people say they stay away due to the grip safety... wouldn't they benefit from redesigning the xd series to have the widest appeal?
Old 03-06-2012, 22:22   #6
bigchuck83

if you are holing the gun somewhat properly i am unsure if you will notice the grip safety or not. probably have just as many people stay away from glock for some reason or another. to each there own
bigchuck83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 22:22   #7
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

No,......a redesign is pointless,......the XD and XDm has a HUGE following!

It would rank up there with a redesign of the 1911 to a double-stack.
While there are some, they may comprie of 1% of 1911 sales.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:37   #8
ithaca_deerslayer

I think the grip safety on the XD makes more sense than on the 1911 ( which already has a thumb safety). It is also more comfortable than any 1911.

Yet that doesn't seem to hurt 1911 sales any.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:49   #9
DreamWeaver88

Many people also say they won't buy new S&W revolvers because of the lock. Truth is, you're hearing from the vocal minority in both cases. Springfield is selling a ton of XD's, just as S&W is selling a ton of revolvers.

DW
DreamWeaver88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:54   #10
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeaver88 View Post
Many people also say they won't buy new S&W revolvers because of the lock.

DW
I won't own a Smith with a lock, it's not the function I'm worried about, I just think they as ugly as a mole on a whores ass, a real turn off.
Dalton Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:06   #11
Sheepdog Scout
Behind you!

They don't "reload'" the XD/XDm line because they don't design the guns. The guns were/are designed in Croatia and are built in Croatia. Springfield simply puts their mark on it. Plus they sell just fine regardless. HS Produkt is the brains behind this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sheepdog Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:44   #12
CajunBass

Send a message via AIM to CajunBass
I don't care what you do, you ain't going to make everybody happy.
John 3:16 (NKJV)

Last edited by CajunBass; 03-07-2012 at 02:46..
CajunBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:47   #13
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYT 2BER View Post
Y'all are missing the point of the question... many people say they stay away due to the grip safety...

less internet

more real world
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:06   #14
Curjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
less internet

more real world
Exactly, I've never heard anyone complain about it that I know. Most think it's a positive thing and one of the reasons they chose the Springfield over a Glock.
Curjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:11   #15
dosei

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYT 2BER View Post
Y'all are missing the point of the question... many people say they stay away due to the grip safety... wouldn't they benefit from redesigning the xd series to have the widest appeal?
And you are missing the point in the answers...

Removing the grip safety will not increase the XD/XDm market appeal, only shift it. For many, the grip safety is a desirable feature on a handgun that is void of any traditional manual safeties. For those of us that actually know how to make use of them, the grip safety adds a nice margin of safety when holstering. Loose the grip safety, and a portion of the market will be lost as well. Most of the whiners that say the grip safety is a deal-breaker for them wouldn't buy the XD/XDm if it didn't have one...they just like to complain. You are one of the ones in that group. As you noted in your opening post the grip safety, among other things, keeps you away. That makes it rather clear that for you, simply removing the grip safety would not make the XD/XDm desirable to you. Bottom line, there is no "one gun" for everyone. Diversity is good. One person's "deal breaker" is another's "deal maker".
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)

Last edited by dosei; 03-07-2012 at 09:08..
dosei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 13:25   #16
RYT 2BER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosei View Post
And you are missing the point in the answers...

Removing the grip safety will not increase the XD/XDm market appeal, only shift it. For many, the grip safety is a desirable feature on a handgun that is void of any traditional manual safeties. For those of us that actually know how to make use of them, the grip safety adds a nice margin of safety when holstering. Loose the grip safety, and a portion of the market will be lost as well. Most of the whiners that say the grip safety is a deal-breaker for them wouldn't buy the XD/XDm if it didn't have one...they just like to complain. You are one of the ones in that group. As you noted in your opening post the grip safety, among other things, keeps you away. That makes it rather clear that for you, simply removing the grip safety would not make the XD/XDm desirable to you. Bottom line, there is no "one gun" for everyone. Diversity is good. One person's "deal breaker" is another's "deal maker".
For the "among other things" my point is that they are heavier than "like sized" guns often, and I tend to like lighter guns like glocks to carry. Other things is that I can do just about anything to a glock from a repair perspective and I dont know much about the inner workings of an XD. Your being defensive and I was only talking about my own personal experience...
Old 03-07-2012, 16:40   #17
JBP55

Other than the loaded chamber indicator breaking and rendering the pistol useless the second largest compliant about the XD/XDM in the real world is the grip safety.
JBP55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 18:16   #18
crazymoose
Nonentity

It's much easier for debris to get in and jam the grip safety of an XD than of a 1911. I've seen it happen. If you never plan on getting your gun dirty, I guess it's a non-issue.

Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. Voltaire
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 18:34   #19
Bob Hafler

Grip safety, roll pins and load chamber indicators breaking. and being a problem is just useless internet bovine scat. Usually talked about by people who have never once gotten there gun the slightest bit dirty and clean it after every range visit. Just got to love the net.

Latest talk on the net is that every gen 4 Glock throws brass in your face. LOL

Last edited by Bob Hafler; 03-07-2012 at 18:39..
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 18:42   #20
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

The grip safety was not the problem. It was the grip angle. Then it was the rust. Then it was the company support. Then it was the after market support. Then it was just because I liked Glock MORE.