Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:58   #1
pnr0q54

How Much Salt?

Living in north central Florida we have access to water, game, firewood and shelter. We have weapons and ammo for self defense and game gathering plus a quantity of quality hand tools to gather firewood and maintain the property. We have about a years supply of freeze dried food, OTC medicines, bandages and the like. What I don't know or have been able to determine is how much salt to keep on hand. I know we get more than enough salt from the processed food we eat but when (if) the supply chain goes away so does processed food. When I was in the Marines (in the early 60s) they used to issue salt tablets in the hot weather. In the research I have done I can't find a reference to how much salt the body needs. If salt can't be obtained from the environment and the supply chain is broken how far will 60 pounds of salt go? I buy high purity sodium chloride for my salt water pool and although it isn't food grade salt it will do. Is salt available from the environment some way?

If the enemy is in range, so are you!!
pnr0q54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:57   #2
JC Refuge
GT Sponsor

Good questions. Had to do a little research myself on this.

Salt originates ultimately from the sea. Much of the salt we consume today is mined or evaporated from its deposits. Fresh sea salt is also derived from sea brine using various evaporative techniques.

There's a good bit of info on salt here: http://www.salthealth.org/?content=factsheets

The government recommends 2300 mg/day sodium intake. It is particularly important for replenishing electrolytes in the body. Also, salt iodization (adding iodine) is an important nutritional consideration--especially for children. So it's important to have not only salt but a source of iodine as well.

In a nutshell--yes, you can "harvest" you own salt in a shtf scenario. In fact, it's been many years since I read "Alas, Babylon," but I seem to recall that the survivors in that story (in Florida) were involved in retrieving salt from a nearby salt deposit.

In Florida, I am sure you would be well situated for collecting salt one way or the other from your environment. Wherever you live in the world, you can do a little geological research to find locations of nearby salt deposits. Ancient seabeds are where they can be found on dry land today. And on seashores, you can process your own saltwater brine to produce salt.

Safecastle Royal Buyers Club
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Refuge blog
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Win a Case of MH Food - LIKE us on Facebook
JC Refuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:21   #3
pnr0q54

"Alas,Babylon" was what got me thinking about salt. I'm old enough to remember the times that book was written in and it is a favorite of mine. In most of my research I have seem very little, next to nothing, that addresses the salt problem. I will have to do some local salt geological research as it is a long walk to the ocean. By the way thanks for SafeCastle!

If the enemy is in range, so are you!!
pnr0q54 is offline   Reply With Quote