Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-05-2012, 19:58   #1
High Altitude

9mm Hornady Critical Defense to the leg

So much for the 9mm being a pea shooter.....

http://www.ar-15.co/forums/showthrea...t=10451&page=4

Post #34

Could you even recover from something like this without a permanent limp?

Last edited by High Altitude; 03-05-2012 at 20:38..
High Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 20:13   #2
Lindenwood

Teehee :D .
Lindenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 20:54   #3
dkf

More of a reminder that the CD bullet is not great at penetrating. That bone completely ripped the bullet apart.

As far as the limp deal, they may not limp much or at all. Surgeons are very good at putting the human body back to together. It will be painful and uncomfortable throughout everyday life but more than likely its still very functional.
dkf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 23:25   #4
cowboy1964

That fragmented CD bullet is exactly an example of how a JHP should NOT perform.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 00:31   #5
Merkavaboy
Code-7A KUZ769

Guess what folks: bullets pulled out of real human flesh, blood and bones rarely look picture-perfect like they do when they are pulled out of ballistic gel and other backyard BS ballistics "media".
Merkavaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 00:32   #6
High Altitude

Quote:
More of a reminder that the CD bullet is not great at penetrating. That bone completely ripped the bullet apart.
Quote:
That fragmented CD bullet is exactly an example of how a JHP should NOT perform.

I am guessing a bonded bullet would be better.

I think any service pistol bullet slamming into bone is going to deform with a good possibility of fragmenting.

Last edited by High Altitude; 03-06-2012 at 00:41..
High Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:02   #7
Foxtrotx1

Everybody ripping on the CD round needs to take a hard look at the strength of a femur.

The femur is the largest and toughest bone in the body. It's thick. Thighs are also juicy. lots of meat. The bullet shattered the femur, and likely damaged the femoral artery. Anything but a bonded round would fragment after hitting that spot IMO. Thats a hell of a wound.

This isn't a jug of water or Gel. Shooting a bone is not represented in any of the tests you see posted around this forum.

Eagle Scout.
Foxtrotx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:18   #8
Glock19Fan
Cool Guy

You also need to keep in mind the bullet hit the bone during its weakest stage- fully expanded. It was basically a large frontal area of lead striking the bone, rather than a semi pointed, jacketed bullet. I think the bullet performed well.

But lets just say that a different bullet was used, and that the bullet stayed together, penetrated through the bone and exited the leg. How much more damage/hemmorage could this bullet do compared to the CD showed?

I think that the bullet shattering the bone, and fragmenting like it did produced much more damage than a bullet that would have stayed together and exited the leg.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:30   #9
FL Airedale
Dog Breath

Those xrays convince me that Critical Defense ammo is what I will still carry in my 9mm.

I don't want ammo that will over penetrate and it did hit hard enough to break the femur.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:57   #10
AquaHull

I use it in my 9mm Kurz
AquaHull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:20   #11
matt_lowry123

That smoked that guy. Thank god it wasn't two rounds!!!
matt_lowry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:37   #12
tim12232
Pistolero

Limp....maybe, maybe not?
Current pain.....through the roof! Ive heard that the femur is the most painful part of your body to break!
I also had no need for NV, so I went with the 512. As far as the submersion, if I'm 10 feet under water and still holding onto my rifle, something has gone terribly awry and I don't think an extra 23 feet is going to matter to me. YMMV
G21 Club #858
tim12232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:21   #13
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Airedale View Post
Those xrays convince me that Critical Defense ammo is what I will still carry in my 9mm.

I don't want ammo that will over penetrate and it did hit hard enough to break the femur.
A good JHP won't overpenetrate just because it holds together. A round that fragments like that won't achieve good penetration at all.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:22   #14
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock19Fan View Post
You also need to keep in mind the bullet hit the bone during its weakest stage- fully expanded. It was basically a large frontal area of lead striking the bone, rather than a semi pointed, jacketed bullet. I think the bullet performed well.

But lets just say that a different bullet was used, and that the bullet stayed together, penetrated through the bone and exited the leg. How much more damage/hemmorage could this bullet do compared to the CD showed?

I think that the bullet shattering the bone, and fragmenting like it did produced much more damage than a bullet that would have stayed together and exited the leg.
Leg shots are extremely poor shot placement. But regardless, a bullet that had stayed together still would have broken the bone.

What if this shot had been to the chest and had hit a rib? It would have broken the rib but not penetrated enough to hit the heart or spine or anything else of importance.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 03-06-2012 at 09:24..
Old 03-06-2012, 10:09   #15
dkf

Its not that the bullet in question fragmented its that bullet in question completely disintegrated. I'm confident that several more mainstream LE ammo whether bonded or not would have fared better.
dkf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:21   #16
RedNine
AutomatedSystem

Nasty. Critical Defense isn't even supposed to be very good ammo.
RedNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:50   #17
Foxtrotx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Leg shots are extremely poor shot placement. But regardless, a bullet that had stayed together still would have broken the bone.

What if this shot had been to the chest and had hit a rib? It would have broken the rib but not penetrated enough to hit the heart or spine or anything else of importance.
Your missing the point. The sternum and ribs are far weaker than the femur, the largest and strongest bone in the body. Not to mention, the amount of muscle and fat above the bone in the leg would have caused this round to expand before hitting the femur, where as the ribs would have encountered a non expanded round.

Eagle Scout.
Foxtrotx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:53   #18
MotoGlock

Oh wow,

that was a nasty break!
MotoGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 13:41   #19
matt_lowry123

Really if one shot could do that, think about what 8 would do!!! Who would only shoot once? I think it did a good job!!
matt_lowry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 14:32   #20
Atomic Punk

that is crazy. not easy to break that bone.
Atomic Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 14:52   #21
Chesafreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNine View Post
Nasty. Critical Defense isn't even supposed to be very good ammo.
Why do you think that Critical Defense isn't good ammo? The only other people I hear saying it isn't any good, that its a gimmick, are the salespeople at a LGS that always push PDX1. Makes me wonder if they are getting incentives or kickbacks to push PDX1.
Chesafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 14:56   #22
NG VI

It's not that it's 'bad', it's just engineered to be a very shallow penetrator and not by way of extreme expansion either. It speaks volumes that Hornady released their duty-oriented version of the exact same bullet in only one weight, 20 grains heavier than the defense version.
Sub Club #180
NG VI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 14:58   #23
Chesafreak

Here's an interesting post I found on Glocktalk about Critical Defense.'

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthre...0#post18386890

Quote:
Guys I saw what a .380 could do to an actual body using Critical Defense Ammo. I didn't see the actual shooting but got to see the body afterwards. I would not want to be hit with it.
Of course I wouldn't want to be shot with anything, even the lowly .22.
Old 03-06-2012, 15:14   #24
Chesafreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NG VI View Post
It's not that it's 'bad', it's just engineered to be a very shallow penetrator and not by way of extreme expansion either. It speaks volumes that Hornady released their duty-oriented version of the exact same bullet in only one weight, 20 grains heavier than the defense version.
Thats because law enforcement needs a round that can penetrate auto glass or other barriers and still have enough weight and energy to penetrate the body after passing through the barrier. That doesn't mean that the CD doesn't penetrate well enough.

Here's a test in which CD in 9mm penetrated a 1.75" board and 12.2" of 10% gelatin.
http://www.shootingillustrated.com/i...tical-defense/

Caliber Corner
Old 03-06-2012, 15:39   #25
pisc1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve23323 View Post
Thats because law enforcement needs a round that can penetrate auto glass or other barriers and still have enough weight and energy to penetrate the body after passing through the barrier. That doesn't mean that the CD doesn't penetrate well enough.
So are COP's the only people who carry guns likely to have to engage targets through an intermediate barrier?

Edit to add:
According to Steve Johnson, Hornady Marketing Communications Manager, the Critical Defense line of handgun ammunition:

"...is not designed to shoot through glass, is not designed to shoot through a car door, and is not designed to shoot through a wall. If you have to shoot through something like that in a personal defense situation you're probably going to jail."

-- NRA's American Guardian TV

Last edited by pisc1024; 03-06-2012 at 15:42..
pisc1024 is offline   Reply With Quote