GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-15-2012, 20:47   #1
orangeride

Has anybody tried a g20 to g21 conversion?

I was at the range with my 20 and my uncle had his new gen4 21. Just for kicks we dropped my LW 10-40 conversion in his gun and it ran great with The 45 extractor and duel rsa. Next I dropped in my oem 10mm and ran some 180's at 1250fps through it. Still ran great but I could tell the extractor wasn't holding right because the emptys where going all over the place. My thought was if someone had the balls and a mill you could take a couple thou off the sides of the lug in the back of the barrel, switch the extractor and mag and be able to shoot .45. I'm not really wanting to shoot a crap load out of it, but it might be nice if things where bad and that was the only ammo you could get your hands on.
orangeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:43   #2
leadslinger13

if you noticed the 20 barrel had a sizeble gap in the 45 slide. I would say that you were lucky that you didn't damage the weapon or yurselves. thank heaven for that. the slide of the 20 would require some milling to get the larger 45 acp barrel to work in it there by making your 20 slide ineffective in the long run. Better you just get a complete 21 slide and some xtra 21 mags and bingo bango no worries. JMHO. I'm just saying.
"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave arriving in an attractive well preserved body, better to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"
leadslinger13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:40   #3
orangeride

I agree that any sort of extended firing could batter the barrel or the slide. When looking at the .45 barrel it appears the only maching would be on the sides of the locking lug, not the sides of the chamber. I'm a very realistic guy, and the fact is no body makes a 10-45 which makes me think it's a lot more involved than it appears to me.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:32   #4
dm1906
Retired SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeride View Post
I agree that any sort of extended firing could batter the barrel or the slide. When looking at the .45 barrel it appears the only maching would be on the sides of the locking lug, not the sides of the chamber. I'm a very realistic guy, and the fact is no body makes a 10-45 which makes me think it's a lot more involved than it appears to me.
.45's won't fit the 10mm slide (breach is too narrow, and the barrel chamber lug/ramp won't fit), but all the parts match up. If you have a G20 and want to shoot .45 ACP, you'll need a G21 slide.
Old 09-16-2012, 17:35   #5
orangeride

What stricks me as funny is that the 21 is not the king of conversions. If a 21 can go to a 20, then my not all the rest of them. 40, 357sig 9x25. Along with all the 45 based cartridges. A mag and extractor change takes about 3min.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:41   #6
dm1906
Retired SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeride View Post
What stricks me as funny is that the 21 is not the king of conversions. If a 21 can go to a 20, then my not all the rest of them. 40, 357sig 9x25. Along with all the 45 based cartridges. A mag and extractor change takes about 3min.
Not sure what you are asking/saying.... Why couldn't you use the above calibers (with the appropriate G20 conversion barrel, including 9mm)? I know several shooters who do. Most don't require an extractor change, but that seems to be more dependent on the individual pistol. Adding a G20 slide would address any concerns/shortfalls.
Old 09-17-2012, 22:45   #7
Yondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadslinger13 View Post
if you noticed the 20 barrel had a sizeble gap in the 45 slide. I would say that you were lucky that you didn't damage the weapon or yurselves.
He wasn't in danger of damaging anything. At worst, the 10mm or 10-40 barrel could develop a new wear mark at the right rear edge of the barrel, but that's it. The slide is able to locate the sides of the barrel adequately without support from the barrel hood.

Extended firing with 10mm heavy loads in a G21 slide can result in accelerated frame battering, but that's due to the lighter slide weight, not barrel fit.
Yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:25   #8
reelnative

so if you run a larger recoil spring in your g21 you can run a stock g20 barrel with no ill effects to your weapon,? I thought you had to buy a conversion barrel
Old 10-28-2012, 20:13   #9
Yondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelnative View Post
so if you run a larger recoil spring in your g21 you can run a stock g20 barrel with no ill effects to your weapon,? I thought you had to buy a conversion barrel
A heavier recoil spring helps a little, but a threaded barrel and muzzle brake slows down the slide velocity a lot more.

Either way though, no conversion barrel required.
Old 10-28-2012, 20:53   #10
reelnative

ok then who has a 10mm barrel they want to sell me hahahha ive got a 22lb spring installed so I can shoot 45 super out of my g21, so I guess all ill have to do is get a 10mm barrel and im ready for some hot 10mm rounds, I was under the impression that the stock 10mm barrel was to thin and didnt lock up right
Old 11-04-2012, 01:35   #11
Opie 1 Kenopie
Regular Guy

Quote:
ok then who has a 10mm barrel they want to sell me hahahha ive got a 22lb spring installed so I can shoot 45 super out of my g21, so I guess all ill have to do is get a 10mm barrel and im ready for some hot 10mm rounds, I was under the impression that the stock 10mm barrel was to thin and didnt lock up right
Your impression is correct, sir.
Old 11-04-2012, 19:06   #12
Yondering

Quote:
I was under the impression that the stock 10mm barrel was to thin and didnt lock up right
That is true of the 9mm vs 40 barrels; a conversion barrel is needed there because the 9mm barrels are smaller diameter.

The 10mm and 45 barrels are the same dimensions on the outside, except for the barrel hood, which is wider in the 45. The sides of the barrel at the chamber are also aligned by the inner walls of the slide though, so the barrel hood isn't completely necessary for alignment.