Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:03   #1
JGulley317

Safe storing in vehicle?

I was curious about how other GT members keep their handguns in their car when they can't take it in with them? In my case, the only place I can't take it into is work. Everywhere else I don't have a problem.

In my situation it takes less then 5 minutes to get to work. I ask myself, is it worth it for the 5 minute drive to work only to leave it in the car while there? But then the gun owner in me says carry everywhere you go, even to work. I don't mind keeping it in my car as long as it's locked up good.

I drive a car. I'd like it under the passenger seat in a locked box with a cable around the seat so I can take it off in the car so no one sees while leaving it in the car. Though the benefit to putting it in the trunk is you need a key to get the the trunk. For some reason the lever to the left of the seat doesn't work. So if it was in the trunk it would be most safe there. Though I'd have to take it off while potentially being in front of someone. Either way, it'd be in a locked box with a cable around something.

Which spot would you recommend, under passenger seat or in trunk? Why?

What storage boxes do you recommend? Do you have it?

Thanks, Gulley
JGulley317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:58   #2
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

You have my sympathies; AND you do have a problem!

I'll tell you what the Sheriff's Deputy told me when he handed me my permit: 'Don't leave your gun in your vehicle.' When I asked him, 'Why?' he told me, 'Because if it gets stolen YOU will be legally responsible for any harm caused by the theft of your gun.'

Another thing: No self-respecting thief is going to miss a gun stored under the driver's seat. The guy who broke into my new auto certainly wouldn't have. He managed to scour everything he could find that was of any value, whatsoever, out of the vehicle.

You're, also, correct: If there's no inside-the-vehicle access to the trunk, then, it's really hard to remove a pistol from your belt and secret it into the trunk. I've been in that situation several times. The best solution I've found is to stop a block, or two, away from your destination; remove the pistol from your belt; and, then, carry it underneath your arm back to the trunk.

My wife uses a different technique: She removes her pistol; places it inside a plastic lunch pail; and, then, places the pail into the trunk without making any attempt to hide what she's doing.

For whatever it's worth, I'll offer you my personal opinion: Should you ever need a gun at work a pistol in your vehicle is going to be of little - if any - value. If I lived close to work the same way you do, I'd just leave the pistol at home in the safe.

('Inside the vehicle' is where Suzanna Hupp's pistol was stored the day George Hennard drove his truck into the dining room at Lubby's Cafeteria in Killeen, TX. Didn't do her any good being there, though, did it!)
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:38   #3
saxconnection
Run 'n' Gunner

You didn't really state what kind of car, so I can only offer a guess, with a small personal tidbit thrown in.

My ex-fiancee's family is very anti-gun. When I came to their house, I could not have a gun on me. The funny thing was that anything else was just fine, lol.

Back on topic, I drove a Ford Mustang at the time, and the rear seats would fold forward to allow access to the trunk. I had a locking pistol box with a security cord strapped to the back of the seat and the box. When I got to her house, all I had to do was slip off my holster (snaps come in handy), reach back, pull the seat down and my box would be accessible.

You never stated if you have access to your trunk other than the button that doesn't work, but if your seats happen to fold, this can be a discreet option as well.

Take care,

Adam
Old 03-05-2012, 04:49   #4
JGulley317

I drive a 95' Nissan Altima. The middle seat folds down. Not enough for someone to reach back there. Only way to open the trunk is to use the key. I feel it could be best to just leave it at home. I don't know...
Old 03-05-2012, 04:54   #5
saxconnection
Run 'n' Gunner

Mine goes with me, for two reasons. First, I work nights in one of the not so nice parts of Detroit. Second, and just as important, I don't know where I may go after work. I don't always go straight home. It's nice to have the option to go somewhere and not have to remember to go home to get my pistol.

Adam
Old 03-05-2012, 05:03   #6
JGulley317

Good point. I sometimes go places after work.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:30   #7
Opie 1 Kenopie
Regular Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxconnection View Post
Mine goes with me, for two reasons. First, I work nights in one of the not so nice parts of Detroit. Second, and just as important, I don't know where I may go after work. I don't always go straight home. It's nice to have the option to go somewhere and not have to remember to go home to get my pistol.

Adam
Are there nice parts of Detroit? You gotta draw me a map, cuz I'm there occasionally and I must have missed them.

OP, I use a small, no-name metal lock box cabled around the mounts for the driver's seat. Easy access while in the truck, and then it just slides back underneath. Not theft-proof, but better than leaving it on the dash while you run into WalMart.

The thing about the deputy telling a guy he's legally responsible is crap. Even here in Kalifornia, once a stolen gun has been reported stolen, you're not legally responsible for the actions of a dirtbag. As long as it was legal to own in the first place and it wasn't left in plain sight.

Back to the topic; I'd recommend devising a good lockable storage box in your car or transferring it to the trunk in an old McDonald's bag etc. Saxconnection, If it were ME in Detroit, I'd have a dang long gun.

Last edited by Opie 1 Kenopie; 03-05-2012 at 06:32..
Opie 1 Kenopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:40   #8
Bruce M

A majority of the stolen guns that I have stumbled across or dealt with were taken from an automobile. My opinion is that at the least some sort of locked metal box is the bare minimum to secure a vehicle in a car.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.

Last edited by Bruce M; 03-05-2012 at 06:40..
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:45   #9
cowboy1964

I'd love to have a big weapons locker in the back of a black SUV, with a few ARs and 12 gauges and HKs in there. But for now I just have a cabled lock box. I only use it when I'm going in somewhere that forces me to disarm (which is rare).
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:26   #10
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Leaving a weapon in an unattended vehicle without a supplemental locking device is ignorant. Armest consoles and gloveboxes, locking or otherwise, and underneath seats are the first places smash and grab burglars pop and check. I salute you for doing this responsibly. I can't remember the name, but Bass Pro sells a cast aluminum clamshell type lockbox that is around 30 bucks, and it's very secure. It can be bolted to the floor or secured with a cable. If you can't manage a lockbox, a coated cable lock is far better than leaving it loose as a gift. Under the seat is a little easier to manage. The trunk works, just not as conveniently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGulley317 View Post
I was curious about how other GT members keep their handguns in their car when they can't take it in with them? In my case, the only place I can't take it into is work. Everywhere else I don't have a problem.

In my situation it takes less then 5 minutes to get to work. I ask myself, is it worth it for the 5 minute drive to work only to leave it in the car while there? But then the gun owner in me says carry everywhere you go, even to work. I don't mind keeping it in my car as long as it's locked up good.

I drive a car. I'd like it under the passenger seat in a locked box with a cable around the seat so I can take it off in the car so no one sees while leaving it in the car. Though the benefit to putting it in the trunk is you need a key to get the the trunk. For some reason the lever to the left of the seat doesn't work. So if it was in the trunk it would be most safe there. Though I'd have to take it off while potentially being in front of someone. Either way, it'd be in a locked box with a cable around something.

Which spot would you recommend, under passenger seat or in trunk? Why?

What storage boxes do you recommend? Do you have it?

Thanks, Gulley

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 03-05-2012 at 08:27..
Bill Lumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:42   #11
ashecht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
Leaving a weapon in an unattended vehicle without a supplemental locking device is ignorant. Armest consoles and gloveboxes, locking or otherwise, and underneath seats are the first places smash and grab burglars pop and check. I salute you for doing this responsibly. I can't remember the name, but Bass Pro sells a cast aluminum clamshell type lockbox that is around 30 bucks, and it's very secure. It can be bolted to the floor or secured with a cable. If you can't manage a lockbox, a coated cable lock is far better than leaving it loose as a gift. Under the seat is a little easier to manage. The trunk works, just not as conveniently.
this is the setup I use. I have it secured to the seat rail with a cable lock. perhaps not going to stop a pro, but at least it will stop the smash and grab types.
Ruger SR1911 Commander
Colt LE6920
ashecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:04   #12
fuzzy03cls

Quote:
'Because if it gets stolen YOU will be legally responsible for any harm caused by the theft of your gun.'
May want to look up the statutes on this. I highly doubt it.
fuzzy03cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:30   #13
HeliGlock
HeliGlock

No Nice spots in Detroit. You have to be kidding.
HeliGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:44   #14
Filhar

I just bought a First Alert lockbox at Menards. They're closing out a lot of their boxes. It has a cable and an electronic key pad. I leave it on the seat of my truck with an old raggedy blanket on it. The top lifts up, so I can open it and store a Glock 17 and Ken Onion Blur in it while I'm at work. I have to park in a City Parking lot cause I work at the Post Office. If someone rides with me, it goes behind the seat. List is $79, I paid $25 and they had several. I also bought a Bulldog front opening box for $30 and a Biometric for my son fo $50. 50% to 70% markdown.
Filhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:29   #15
Beanie-Bean

JGulley,

I use a small GunVault with a cable that goes around the seat mounts. Pretty handy for quick runs to places where I can't carry (post office always comes to mind) and I think that it ran about $30 (?) Can't really remember the pricing, but it wasn't that expensive.

Better than nothing, I guess. I like the ideas of a plastic lunch box, or an old McD's bag as the other guys mentioned, if you have to put it in the back of your vehicle.

Beanie-Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:39   #16
vinstang67

I am with others use a small lock box. About $25 before tax.

Last edited by vinstang67; 03-19-2013 at 20:45..
vinstang67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:43   #17
cadillacguns

I used to have a G-26 in a Center of Mass clamshell under the passenger seat of my vehicle secured. However, we are not in anyway shape or form allowed no matter what anybody says a firearm in our vehicle in or on our employee parking lot. Now completly nekked I constantly LTCH as soon as I get home, and prey nothing happens to me or someone I could/would/should help during my daily commute.

It hurts!
GLOCKS #1 FAN!!!

"IN GLOCK WE TRUST"

Last edited by cadillacguns; 03-05-2012 at 10:44..
cadillacguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:47   #18
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy03cls View Post
May want to look up the statutes on this. I highly doubt it.
Yeah sounds to be not true at all.
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:01   #19
MarkM32

While I am not required to disarm basically anywhere in my area, I still do, say if going to a school, courthouse, etc.. I drive a pickup, but I have a lot of interior modifications. I use it to plow snow, so the back seat is gone, and instead there is a rack that holds all sorts of things, and my factory center console is gone and instead there is an emergency console there. I have 2 car safes in there. One is bolted to the rack where my rear seat is, and one is attached to the center console. The center console simply operates by the push of a button, however it requires the ignition to be on. The second is biometric, so in event that I do have to leave my pistol in the truck, its not going to be stolen. It's fairly simply to do something like this.
MarkM32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:03   #20
dkf

Quote:
I'll tell you what the Sheriff's Deputy told me when he handed me my permit: 'Don't leave your gun in your vehicle.' When I asked him, 'Why?' he told me, 'Because if it gets stolen YOU will be legally responsible for any harm caused by the theft of your gun.'
Did he hand you a statute stating that? Because he is completely full of s*!@.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote