GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 02:03   #1
JGulley317
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 38
Safe storing in vehicle?

I was curious about how other GT members keep their handguns in their car when they can't take it in with them? In my case, the only place I can't take it into is work. Everywhere else I don't have a problem.

In my situation it takes less then 5 minutes to get to work. I ask myself, is it worth it for the 5 minute drive to work only to leave it in the car while there? But then the gun owner in me says carry everywhere you go, even to work. I don't mind keeping it in my car as long as it's locked up good.

I drive a car. I'd like it under the passenger seat in a locked box with a cable around the seat so I can take it off in the car so no one sees while leaving it in the car. Though the benefit to putting it in the trunk is you need a key to get the the trunk. For some reason the lever to the left of the seat doesn't work. So if it was in the trunk it would be most safe there. Though I'd have to take it off while potentially being in front of someone. Either way, it'd be in a locked box with a cable around something.

Which spot would you recommend, under passenger seat or in trunk? Why?

What storage boxes do you recommend? Do you have it?

Thanks, Gulley
JGulley317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:58   #2
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!
 
Arc Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Penn's Woods
Posts: 10,956
Blog Entries: 55
You have my sympathies; AND you do have a problem!

I'll tell you what the Sheriff's Deputy told me when he handed me my permit: 'Don't leave your gun in your vehicle.' When I asked him, 'Why?' he told me, 'Because if it gets stolen YOU will be legally responsible for any harm caused by the theft of your gun.'

Another thing: No self-respecting thief is going to miss a gun stored under the driver's seat. The guy who broke into my new auto certainly wouldn't have. He managed to scour everything he could find that was of any value, whatsoever, out of the vehicle.

You're, also, correct: If there's no inside-the-vehicle access to the trunk, then, it's really hard to remove a pistol from your belt and secret it into the trunk. I've been in that situation several times. The best solution I've found is to stop a block, or two, away from your destination; remove the pistol from your belt; and, then, carry it underneath your arm back to the trunk.

My wife uses a different technique: She removes her pistol; places it inside a plastic lunch pail; and, then, places the pail into the trunk without making any attempt to hide what she's doing.

For whatever it's worth, I'll offer you my personal opinion: Should you ever need a gun at work a pistol in your vehicle is going to be of little - if any - value. If I lived close to work the same way you do, I'd just leave the pistol at home in the safe.

('Inside the vehicle' is where Suzanna Hupp's pistol was stored the day George Hennard drove his truck into the dining room at Lubby's Cafeteria in Killeen, TX. Didn't do her any good being there, though, did it!)
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:38   #3
saxconnection
Run 'n' Gunner
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 176
You didn't really state what kind of car, so I can only offer a guess, with a small personal tidbit thrown in.

My ex-fiancee's family is very anti-gun. When I came to their house, I could not have a gun on me. The funny thing was that anything else was just fine, lol.

Back on topic, I drove a Ford Mustang at the time, and the rear seats would fold forward to allow access to the trunk. I had a locking pistol box with a security cord strapped to the back of the seat and the box. When I got to her house, all I had to do was slip off my holster (snaps come in handy), reach back, pull the seat down and my box would be accessible.

You never stated if you have access to your trunk other than the button that doesn't work, but if your seats happen to fold, this can be a discreet option as well.

Take care,

Adam
__________________
It's always about 9mm vs. .45ACP. No one ever argues about 10mm.
saxconnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:49   #4
JGulley317
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 38
I drive a 95' Nissan Altima. The middle seat folds down. Not enough for someone to reach back there. Only way to open the trunk is to use the key. I feel it could be best to just leave it at home. I don't know...
JGulley317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:54   #5
saxconnection
Run 'n' Gunner
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 176
Mine goes with me, for two reasons. First, I work nights in one of the not so nice parts of Detroit. Second, and just as important, I don't know where I may go after work. I don't always go straight home. It's nice to have the option to go somewhere and not have to remember to go home to get my pistol.

Adam
__________________
It's always about 9mm vs. .45ACP. No one ever argues about 10mm.
saxconnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:03   #6
JGulley317
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 38
Good point. I sometimes go places after work.
JGulley317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:30   #7
Opie 1 Kenopie
Regular Guy
 
Opie 1 Kenopie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Still Stuck in the Suck--Central CA
Posts: 1,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxconnection View Post
Mine goes with me, for two reasons. First, I work nights in one of the not so nice parts of Detroit. Second, and just as important, I don't know where I may go after work. I don't always go straight home. It's nice to have the option to go somewhere and not have to remember to go home to get my pistol.

Adam
Are there nice parts of Detroit? You gotta draw me a map, cuz I'm there occasionally and I must have missed them.

OP, I use a small, no-name metal lock box cabled around the mounts for the driver's seat. Easy access while in the truck, and then it just slides back underneath. Not theft-proof, but better than leaving it on the dash while you run into WalMart.

The thing about the deputy telling a guy he's legally responsible is crap. Even here in Kalifornia, once a stolen gun has been reported stolen, you're not legally responsible for the actions of a dirtbag. As long as it was legal to own in the first place and it wasn't left in plain sight.

Back to the topic; I'd recommend devising a good lockable storage box in your car or transferring it to the trunk in an old McDonald's bag etc. Saxconnection, If it were ME in Detroit, I'd have a dang long gun.
__________________
Opie
"You find it offensive? Well I find it funny. That's why I'm happier than you."

Last edited by Opie 1 Kenopie; 03-05-2012 at 05:32..
Opie 1 Kenopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:40   #8
Bruce M
Senior Member
 
Bruce M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: S FL
Posts: 20,020
A majority of the stolen guns that I have stumbled across or dealt with were taken from an automobile. My opinion is that at the least some sort of locked metal box is the bare minimum to secure a vehicle in a car.
__________________
Bruce
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.

Last edited by Bruce M; 03-05-2012 at 05:40..
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:45   #9
cowboy1964
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 14,389
I'd love to have a big weapons locker in the back of a black SUV, with a few ARs and 12 gauges and HKs in there. But for now I just have a cabled lock box. I only use it when I'm going in somewhere that forces me to disarm (which is rare).
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:26   #10
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor
 
Bill Lumberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 6,844
Leaving a weapon in an unattended vehicle without a supplemental locking device is ignorant. Armest consoles and gloveboxes, locking or otherwise, and underneath seats are the first places smash and grab burglars pop and check. I salute you for doing this responsibly. I can't remember the name, but Bass Pro sells a cast aluminum clamshell type lockbox that is around 30 bucks, and it's very secure. It can be bolted to the floor or secured with a cable. If you can't manage a lockbox, a coated cable lock is far better than leaving it loose as a gift. Under the seat is a little easier to manage. The trunk works, just not as conveniently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGulley317 View Post
I was curious about how other GT members keep their handguns in their car when they can't take it in with them? In my case, the only place I can't take it into is work. Everywhere else I don't have a problem.

In my situation it takes less then 5 minutes to get to work. I ask myself, is it worth it for the 5 minute drive to work only to leave it in the car while there? But then the gun owner in me says carry everywhere you go, even to work. I don't mind keeping it in my car as long as it's locked up good.

I drive a car. I'd like it under the passenger seat in a locked box with a cable around the seat so I can take it off in the car so no one sees while leaving it in the car. Though the benefit to putting it in the trunk is you need a key to get the the trunk. For some reason the lever to the left of the seat doesn't work. So if it was in the trunk it would be most safe there. Though I'd have to take it off while potentially being in front of someone. Either way, it'd be in a locked box with a cable around something.

Which spot would you recommend, under passenger seat or in trunk? Why?

What storage boxes do you recommend? Do you have it?

Thanks, Gulley
__________________
Did someone talk to you about your TPS reports?

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 03-05-2012 at 07:27..
Bill Lumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:42   #11
ashecht
Senior Member
 
ashecht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 1,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
Leaving a weapon in an unattended vehicle without a supplemental locking device is ignorant. Armest consoles and gloveboxes, locking or otherwise, and underneath seats are the first places smash and grab burglars pop and check. I salute you for doing this responsibly. I can't remember the name, but Bass Pro sells a cast aluminum clamshell type lockbox that is around 30 bucks, and it's very secure. It can be bolted to the floor or secured with a cable. If you can't manage a lockbox, a coated cable lock is far better than leaving it loose as a gift. Under the seat is a little easier to manage. The trunk works, just not as conveniently.
this is the setup I use. I have it secured to the seat rail with a cable lock. perhaps not going to stop a pro, but at least it will stop the smash and grab types.
__________________
G19 Gen4, G26 Gen4, G30 Gen3
Springfield Range Officer
Italian Beretta 92FS Inox
Ruger SR1911 Commander
Colt LE6920
ashecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:04   #12
fuzzy03cls
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,741
Quote:
'Because if it gets stolen YOU will be legally responsible for any harm caused by the theft of your gun.'
May want to look up the statutes on this. I highly doubt it.
fuzzy03cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:30   #13
HeliGlock
HeliGlock
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 492
No Nice spots in Detroit. You have to be kidding.
HeliGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:44   #14
Filhar
Senior Member
 
Filhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: So Wi
Posts: 197
I just bought a First Alert lockbox at Menards. They're closing out a lot of their boxes. It has a cable and an electronic key pad. I leave it on the seat of my truck with an old raggedy blanket on it. The top lifts up, so I can open it and store a Glock 17 and Ken Onion Blur in it while I'm at work. I have to park in a City Parking lot cause I work at the Post Office. If someone rides with me, it goes behind the seat. List is $79, I paid $25 and they had several. I also bought a Bulldog front opening box for $30 and a Biometric for my son fo $50. 50% to 70% markdown.
Filhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:29   #15
Beanie-Bean
Senior Member
 
Beanie-Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 3,860
JGulley,

I use a small GunVault with a cable that goes around the seat mounts. Pretty handy for quick runs to places where I can't carry (post office always comes to mind) and I think that it ran about $30 (?) Can't really remember the pricing, but it wasn't that expensive.

Better than nothing, I guess. I like the ideas of a plastic lunch box, or an old McD's bag as the other guys mentioned, if you have to put it in the back of your vehicle.
__________________
NRA Life Member
Ammo by Dillon and Hornady

Beanie-Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:39   #16
vinstang67
Senior Member
 
vinstang67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: TN
Posts: 421
I am with others use a small lock box. About $25 before tax.

Last edited by vinstang67; 03-19-2013 at 20:45..
vinstang67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:43   #17
cadillacguns
Senior Member
 
cadillacguns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Indianapolis, IN USA
Posts: 4,110
I used to have a G-26 in a Center of Mass clamshell under the passenger seat of my vehicle secured. However, we are not in anyway shape or form allowed no matter what anybody says a firearm in our vehicle in or on our employee parking lot. Now completly nekked I constantly LTCH as soon as I get home, and prey nothing happens to me or someone I could/would/should help during my daily commute.

It hurts!
__________________
GLOCKS #1 FAN!!!


"IN GLOCK WE TRUST"

Last edited by cadillacguns; 03-05-2012 at 09:44..
cadillacguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:47   #18
Ruggles
Senior Member
 
Ruggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tejas
Posts: 8,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy03cls View Post
May want to look up the statutes on this. I highly doubt it.
Yeah sounds to be not true at all.
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:01   #19
MarkM32
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 65
While I am not required to disarm basically anywhere in my area, I still do, say if going to a school, courthouse, etc.. I drive a pickup, but I have a lot of interior modifications. I use it to plow snow, so the back seat is gone, and instead there is a rack that holds all sorts of things, and my factory center console is gone and instead there is an emergency console there. I have 2 car safes in there. One is bolted to the rack where my rear seat is, and one is attached to the center console. The center console simply operates by the push of a button, however it requires the ignition to be on. The second is biometric, so in event that I do have to leave my pistol in the truck, its not going to be stolen. It's fairly simply to do something like this.
MarkM32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:03   #20
dkf
Senior Member
 
dkf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,298
Quote:
I'll tell you what the Sheriff's Deputy told me when he handed me my permit: 'Don't leave your gun in your vehicle.' When I asked him, 'Why?' he told me, 'Because if it gets stolen YOU will be legally responsible for any harm caused by the theft of your gun.'
Did he hand you a statute stating that? Because he is completely full of s*!@.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:35   #21
frontier2011
Give Me Brass
 
frontier2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Coast
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie 1 Kenopie View Post
Are there nice parts of Detroit? You gotta draw me a map, cuz I'm there occasionally and I must have missed them.

OP, I use a small, no-name metal lock box cabled around the mounts for the driver's seat. Easy access while in the truck, and then it just slides back underneath. Not theft-proof, but better than leaving it on the dash while you run into WalMart.

The thing about the deputy telling a guy he's legally responsible is crap. Even here in Kalifornia, once a stolen gun has been reported stolen, you're not legally responsible for the actions of a dirtbag. As long as it was legal to own in the first place and it wasn't left in plain sight.

Back to the topic; I'd recommend devising a good lockable storage box in your car or transferring it to the trunk in an old McDonald's bag etc. Saxconnection, If it were ME in Detroit, I'd have a dang long gun.
I always carry when i am in walmart.
frontier2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:28   #22
saxconnection
Run 'n' Gunner
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie 1 Kenopie View Post
Are there nice parts of Detroit? You gotta draw me a map, cuz I'm there occasionally and I must have missed them.

Saxconnection, If it were ME in Detroit, I'd have a dang long gun.
Yeah, it's tempting to have a long gun where I am in there. In fact, there are guys at my place of employment who sell them out of the back of their cars...

As for the nicer parts, well, there is the downtown area. During events such as the auto show, and Redwings games police presence is there in force, so it's not as bad. Mostly just pan handlers, a few musicians, and the regular crazies.

I think they recognize the places where you can't carry legally and try somewhat to alleviate the pressure one normally feels unarmed in those areas of Detroit. While I can't carry in some of those areas, I am NEVER unarmed in Detroit.

Take care,

Adam
__________________
It's always about 9mm vs. .45ACP. No one ever argues about 10mm.
saxconnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:35   #23
saxconnection
Run 'n' Gunner
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGlock View Post
No Nice spots in Detroit. You have to be kidding.
I'll put it this way. At least with Detroit, you know what you're getting into. Cobo is nice, lots of shows. Joe Louis Arena, go see the 'Wings play. Ford Field. Actually saw the Lions win one while I was there (a rare occurrence I know). There are also the small businesses and restaurants around these areas that contribute to it being a "nicer" part of Detroit. I'm not saying your car won't get stolen while you're having your meal, but I don't expect to get shot while around these places either. It seems these are the places the police hang around in Detroit.

I'll tell you one place I won't go. Chicago. Basically, if I can't have a firearm there, I don't go there. I feel there is a better chance of survival here than Chi-town.

Adam
__________________
It's always about 9mm vs. .45ACP. No one ever argues about 10mm.
saxconnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 13:24   #24
poodleplumber
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,022
I have the small GunVault that comes with a cable. It is very versatile - although it usually is cabled under my car seat, I can move it into my house or a hotel room very easily when that sort of need arises.

I have never seen an ordinance saying that a victim of theft is responsible for what a thief does with a stolen item, be it a gun, a car, medication, or anything else. There certainly are ordinances requiring that guns be secured against access by minors, but the kind of devices we are discussing are adequate for that. I await education to the contrary.
poodleplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 13:32   #25
FAS1
GT Sponsor
 
FAS1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGulley317 View Post
I drive a 95' Nissan Altima. The middle seat folds down. Not enough for someone to reach back there. Only way to open the trunk is to use the key. I feel it could be best to just leave it at home. I don't know...
The trunk would be my choice if I had to leave a vehicle parked all day while at work. Less convenient than in the cabin, but you have room to secure a stronger handgun safe in there. Besides, if the key is the only way in the trunk, a smash and grab will get anything they can grab quickly and run. I doubt they are interested in what's in your trunk.

Those small 18- 21ga steel clamshell boxes are certainly better than leaving your gun loose, but I think the cable is easily defeated with a pair of dikes.

I'm not sure it's the exact same thing as mine is not vinyl coated, but go cut a piece off the extra cable thats on your garage door at home. Mine just takes one good squeeze with an old pair of standard size dikes that are pretty dull when you feel the edge. Not very impressive from a security viewpoint.
__________________
Glenn

http://www.fas1safe.com
"The Fast and Secure One"
Link to Facebook: FAS1 SAFE
FAS1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:00.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,249
389 Members
860 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42