Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-04-2012, 13:06   #1
hkcavalier

Nikon M-223 1-4x 20mm BDC 600?

Hey guys I'm thinking of getting a Nikon M-223 1-4x 20mm scope with the BDC 600 reticle for my self-built AR. Tax return money! Rifle is a 20" stainless barrel 1:8 twist. Not for shooting varmits, I would go with a much higher magnification scope for that. More of a range toy really.

Also thinking of the Burris P.E.P.R. mount, seems to be good quality and inexpensive.

Anyone have some experience with this scope and/or mount? I have a Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x on another rifle and it's great, but the Nikon looks to have much better turrets (no tiny covers to take off and invariably lose) and a more robust look to it. Another scope I've considered is the Hi-Lux 1-4x 24mm with the illuminated reticle. I'd go "Made in America" all the way with a Leupold Mark 4 but just can't do $900 for a scope right now.
hkcavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 14:19   #2
Landric
Supervisor?

Send a message via AIM to Landric
I had the M-223 1-4x with the point blank reticle. I didn't care for the turrets, way too easy to move a couple of clicks without noticing and no way to lock them. Overall it was a good scope, especially for what is cost, but I sold it. I think I will replace it with something like a Burris TAC30, or perhaps a low fixed power scope. I went back to iron sights on the rifle it was on for now.

I got the PEPR mount and I was not impressed with the quality, too "Made in China" for me (it was made in China to be fair). The Nikon M-223 mount goes for about the same, and it is made in the US by Warne, so it is probably a lot better quality.
Mon: Do you carry chambered?, Tue: Can a cop write a ticket without his hat?, Wed: Should I carry a spare mag?, Thurs: I got stopped without "probably cause"., Fri: Will there be a Glock Carbine?, Sat: Why the GAP hate?, Sun: I hate the GAP.
Landric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 16:49   #3
GlockMonk

I was in the same boat, and after much research I settled on the Burris MTAC (the updated version of the TAC 30). It's only a little more than the Nikon M223, but it has many advantages over the Nikon.

If I was to get a Nikon, I'd get the Nikon Monarch African over the M223, any day.

GlockMonk
GlockMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 00:02   #4
DJ Niner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landric View Post
I had the M-223 1-4x with the point blank reticle. I didn't care for the turrets, way too easy to move a couple of clicks without noticing and no way to lock them.

(snip)
Glad to hear I wasn't the only person who came to this conclusion. As I usually shoot lefty with a long gun, I figured the windage knob would probably get moved every time I slung/unslung my rifle, or possibly just during carry if it bumped any other gear.

Pushed me away from the Nikons with exposed knobs/dials altogether.
...The second most dangerous thing to do is Turning Your Life Around. Going by local news reports, if you start Turning Your Life Around, you will inexplicably wind up face down in a convenience store parking lot at 0300 with a bag of somebody else's money in your hand, a chalk outline, and half a magazine's worth of the taxpayers' bullets in your ass. -- Tamara K.

Link >>>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 21:55   #5
BC Dan

I have that scope and the P.E.P.R. mount on my DD carbine. I have not had any issues with the turrets moving, but I don't shoot the rifle much other than at the range. I have the point blank reticle and for playing at the range under 200 yards, it works fine. If I were shooting much past 200 yards, I would want a different reticle.