Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 07:49   #1
huggytree
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 160
if a policeman asks you if your a CCW holder?

i saw an interview with a Local police chief here in WI(i think it was Appleton,WI)....anyways he said when his officers make a traffic stop the first question they ask is 'are you a CCW holder and are you armed'

if the reason i am talking with the police has nothing to do with my CCW (IE---speeding) i dont think they have any rights to ask me that question....and i dont have to answer either

how do you handle it? and would you feel compelled to answer such a question?

a policeman is just a person...a person who may be anti-gun.....a person who may play games with you over the issue....i feel its none of his business if it doesnt pertain to whatever the reason he's talking to me for.
huggytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:55   #2
firefighter4215
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,049
Well, they sometimes ask that question regardless. I don't see any problem with a LEO asking if you're armed, and I have no problem responding honestly. They're trying to do their job and go home at the end of the shift. Most of them will probably be friendly enough, though my only traffic stop since I got my ccdw license was not good. It was very surprising, considering I was in KY when it happened.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
firefighter4215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:58   #3
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®
 
Angry Fist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: LOZ
Posts: 28,486
You gotta remember, CCW is still fairly new to Wisconsin, and a lot of cops may not have much experience in dealing with carriers. Just be straight with them.
__________________
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:31   #4
Ryobi
SummertimeRules
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 2,513
It depends on whether you confuse being a permit holder with being a police officer. It depends on how you want your day to go. Why would someone lie to the police like a criminal if they weren't one?
Ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:38   #5
Lowjiber
Senior Member
 
Lowjiber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 941
Let me see if I understand.

If asked the question(s) by a cop, you would refuse to answer because you don't feel that he/she has the right to ask you? That's sure to make for an interesting traffic stop.

In Nevada, your CCW is tied to your license plate (if the car is registered in your name). So, in the vast majority of cases the cop already knows, and the question is often not asked.

That said, I've been stopped twice in the past twenty years, and in each case I've informed the cop immediately that I was armed. In both cases, the "stop" went well, and I was soon on my way.

I think if you refuse to answer the question(s) stated above, you're going to have a long day, and I certainly don't blame the cop.

Just my $0.02.
__________________
G'day and G'lock.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Lowjiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:44   #6
Unistat
Senior Member
 
Unistat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SE Michigan, near Detroit
Posts: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowjiber View Post
Let me see if I understand.

If asked the question(s) by a cop, you would refuse to answer because you don't feel that he/she has the right to ask you? That's sure to make for an interesting traffic stop.

In Nevada, your CCW is tied to your license plate (if the car is registered in your name). So, in the vast majority of cases the cop already knows, and the question is often not asked.

That said, I've been stopped twice in the past twenty years, and in each case I've informed the cop immediately that I was armed. In both cases, the "stop" went well, and I was soon on my way.

I think if you refuse to answer the question(s) stated above, you're going to have a long day, and I certainly don't blame the cop.

Just my $0.02.
+1

Really, I have no need to make their job more difficult for no good reason. Plus, the police DO have the authority to ascertain if someone is armed during a traffic stop.
__________________
There are basically two kinds of people in this world. Those that believe in the Moon Landing and those that don't.
Unistat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:48   #7
Rumbler_G20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: N. Florida
Posts: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowjiber View Post
Let me see if I understand.

If asked the question(s) by a cop, you would refuse to answer because you don't feel that he/she has the right to ask you? That's sure to make for an interesting traffic stop.

In Nevada, your CCW is tied to your license plate (if the car is registered in your name). So, in the vast majority of cases the cop already knows, and the question is often not asked.

That said, I've been stopped twice in the past twenty years, and in each case I've informed the cop immediately that I was armed. In both cases, the "stop" went well, and I was soon on my way.

I think if you refuse to answer the question(s) stated above, you're going to have a long day, and I certainly don't blame the cop.

Just my $0.02.

This! ^^
Rumbler_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:53   #8
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member
 
Glockdude1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Beaumont,Texas
Posts: 27,522


In Texas, if a police officer asks you, you answer honestly. Yes or no. Not hard at all.

__________________
"Some People Are Like Slinkies. They're Not Really Good For Anything, But They Bring a Smile To Your Face When Pushed Down The Stairs."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Glockdude1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:02   #9
Bruce M
Senior Member
 
Bruce M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: S FL
Posts: 23,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggytree View Post
..how do you handle it? and would you feel compelled to answer such a question?

....
This sounds like a question that would be much better answered by your attorney so he could explain whether you have to answer that sort of question and what if anything might happen if you do not or if you lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryobi View Post
It depends on whether you confuse being a permit holder with being a police officer. It depends on how you want your day to go. Why would someone lie to the police like a criminal if they weren't one?
I am led to believe that in some places a lie to the police makes one a criminal.
__________________
Bruce
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:13   #10
BK63
Senior Member
 
BK63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 1,978
If they ask me anything I answer. I have nothing to hide and I'm not breaking any laws.
__________________
____________________________________________
"You'll never know if you can hit it unless you shoot!"
- my dad on hunting - RIP
BK63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:19   #11
Horseface
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK63 View Post
If they ask me anything I answer. I have nothing to hide and I'm not breaking any laws.
+1 on this.
Horseface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:25   #12
HexHead
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,818
Why some people just have to go out of their way to make their lives difficult is beyond me.
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:44   #13
pipedreams
Member
 
pipedreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: S. E. Iowa
Posts: 4,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
I am led to believe that in some places a lie to the police makes one a criminal.
Yes, didn't you know lying to the police is a crime but if they lie to you it is not a crime.

Best answer if they ask if you have any weapons or anything else in the car they should know about is a simple yes or no.
__________________
NRA Patron Member
GOA Life Member


Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.
pipedreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:51   #14
RussP
Moderator
 
RussP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 44,821
Blog Entries: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggytree View Post
i saw an interview with a Local police chief here in WI(i think it was Appleton,WI)....anyways he said when his officers make a traffic stop the first question they ask is 'are you a CCW holder and are you armed'

if the reason i am talking with the police has nothing to do with my CCW (IE---speeding) i dont think they have any rights to ask me that question....and i dont have to answer either

how do you handle it? and would you feel compelled to answer such a question?

a policeman is just a person...a person who may be anti-gun.....a person who may play games with you over the issue....i feel its none of his business if it doesnt pertain to whatever the reason he's talking to me for.
WI law says you do not have to initiate informing a law enforcement officer of your CCL.

What does Wisconsin law say about failure to acknowledge possession of a firearm when asked by law enforcement?
__________________
Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:58   #15
Stefan
Senior Member
 
Stefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: York County, Pa
Posts: 148
Before owning a gun, which was back in October, I would have had no idea what CCW meant. I probably would have just stated at him dumbfounded and then asked what that meant. Now I would just say no.

Stefan
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:10   #16
madcitycop
Senior Member
 
madcitycop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,458
Go ahead and say you dont have to answer that. Enjoy spending the entire traffic stop standing outside of your car and told not to move. Hostility is met by the same. Oh and a police officer can ask anything they please. Remember the first amendment that you all complain the police are trying to take away? they still have it as well. enjoy your tickets. Play stupid games win stupid prizes. Youll be the first one to complain too when a cop asks that question you chose not to answer and he sees your firearm and draws his on you. Again you play stupid gamea you win stupid prizes.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
madcitycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:18   #17
Mr Spock
Vulcan
 
Mr Spock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,197
I would assume that most places have criminalized lying to the police in one way or another. At a minimum it will really piss them off if they end up finding out you lied. If asked a direct question, answer it honestly, respectfully, and calmly. If they do anything wrong after that, there is always the dash cam and the legal system.

As for volunteering the info, that would depend on where you live and the local LE attitude toward CCW. In east-central FL I have been stopped twice (once county, once local) since I started carrying 5 years ago. I informed both. One just said, "Okay" and I got a warning for doing some really obnoxious stuff (well, when he asked if I knew why he stopped me, I said, "Because I was driving like an ass, sir" and proceeded to tell him what I did wrong exactly. He smirked when I said that, so honesty may have been the reason for the warning). The local guy asked me what I was carrying and we talked for a minute about it. Some places, the cops LIKE non-LE who are legally armed.
Mr Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:22   #18
RussP
Moderator
 
RussP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 44,821
Blog Entries: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Before owning a gun, which was back in October, I would have had no idea what CCW meant. I probably would have just stated at him dumbfounded and then asked what that meant. Now I would just say no.

Stefan
What if he asks if you have a LTCF?
__________________
Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:29   #19
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Warp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NE of Atlanta
Posts: 30,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcitycop View Post
Go ahead and say you dont have to answer that. Enjoy spending the entire traffic stop standing outside of your car and told not to move. Hostility is met by the same. Oh and a police officer can ask anything they please. Remember the first amendment that you all complain the police are trying to take away? they still have it as well. enjoy your tickets. Play stupid games win stupid prizes. Youll be the first one to complain too when a cop asks that question you chose not to answer and he sees your firearm and draws his on you. Again you play stupid gamea you win stupid prizes.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
I am surprised you are taking the 1st Amendment route here.

If the 1A is what allows an officer to ask you anything would the 1A also allow you to answer with anything you want?
__________________
The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:31   #20
coqui33
NRA Instructor
 
coqui33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 317
Two ambiguities and one pitfall make threads about answering LEO questions pointless and frustrating.

The first ambiguity is whether the topic is about what is legal or what is wise.

Is it legal? Yes. In Florida, with a couple of minor exceptions, it is perfectly legal to refuse to answer questions without your lawyer being present. You cannot and will not be prosecuted for refusing to answer questions without a lawyer.

Is it wise? You must decide this for yourself. If you refuse to answer a LEO's question, in most Florida jurisdictions, you will be handcuffed and detained. In many, you will be charged with obstruction. In some, you will first be beaten. And in a handful of well-documented worst-case scenarios, the non-cooperating citizen was simply murdered by the side of the road. Your call.

The second ambiguity is whether you should lie or simply refuse to answer. Lying is illegal and you can be prosecuted. Refusal to answer is legal, but might have unpleasant consequences.

The pitfall is that cop bashers deliberately distort the issue to suggest that outright deception is the wisest choice. And cop apologists deliberately distort it to suggest that non-cooperation will always get you locked up.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by coqui33; 03-04-2012 at 10:33..
coqui33 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 20:00.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,115
346 Members
769 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31