SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:51   #1
JLarsson
Livin' FREE!!!

Ghost 3.5 connector tab dragging

I've got a Gen2 G23 that I dropped a Ghost standard 3.5 connector in today. The trigger pull is great, but the slide is a little sluggish returning to battery if you ease if forward slowly. Sometimes, it stops before it goes forward all the way.

RSA has only a few hundred rounds on it, and - to be fair - it was doing some of the same thing with the original connector.

I checked the instructions on Ghost's website and read about the paper test to see if the connector was angled too far out from the housing - it wasn't.

So I polished the tip of the tab and it helped a little, but it still drags pretty badly.

I know the tab is important for resetting the trigger, but I think it shouldn't interfere this much with the slide movement.

Am I missing something here?

He who truly knows has no occasion to shout.
" - Leonardo da Vinci

JLarsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:07   #2
cciman

are you sure that is the point of resistance?
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:19   #3
JLarsson
Livin' FREE!!!

As sure as I CAN be. I removed the RSA and barrel and removed the striker from the slide so the slide should have been as free to move forward and back as possible (although I guess I should have just stripped the slide completely.

With those things out of the gun, it is possible to look in from behind and see the contact between the inner machining on the slide and the connector tab. That contact corresponds exactly to the feelings of resistance present as I move the slide forward and back.

" - Leonardo da Vinci

Old 02-19-2012, 19:31   #4
cciman

Does the same with the factory connector?

If you are seeing this, bend the connector closer to the side of the trigger housing body. Too close, and the trigger will not reset.
Old 02-19-2012, 19:55   #5
JLarsson
Livin' FREE!!!

I'll give that a try. I'm going to strip the slide down, play with both connectors and make sure I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing.

Thanks for the help.

" - Leonardo da Vinci

Old 02-20-2012, 14:37   #6
JLarsson
Livin' FREE!!!

I stripped the slide and verified that the upper tab of the connector is definitely the point of contact. I tried bending that upper tab back slightly, but I have read some things about Ghost connectors being brittle, so I didn't try too hard. Then I stoned it down some and polished the bearing surface and it's better now. Sometimes, the slide won't go completely into battery until I let up enough on the trigger to reset the trigger. At that point, it always goes in.

" - Leonardo da Vinci

Old 02-20-2012, 19:18   #7
cciman

That's not right. Your recoil spring is new correct? I would not take off any more metal on the connector. At this stage, I would strongly consider sending to Glock for free diagnosis and repair.

If you want to keep DIY, Figure out how to take the slide off if your trigger does not reset first. Take the stock connector, and with 2 pairs of pliers, heat it, and bend it just slightly, but not enough for it to be flush with the face of the trigger housing. A connector is cheap to replace if you break it. Any - connector works the same. Trail and error until it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLarsson View Post
I stripped the slide and verified that the upper tab of the connector is definitely the point of contact. I tried bending that upper tab back slightly, but I have read some things about Ghost connectors being brittle, so I didn't try too hard. Then I stoned it down some and polished the bearing surface and it's better now. Sometimes, the slide won't go completely into battery until I let up enough on the trigger to reset the trigger. At that point, it always goes in.
Old 02-20-2012, 19:29   #8
JLarsson
Livin' FREE!!!

I'll probably keep working on it. It is SO close...

" - Leonardo da Vinci

Old 02-20-2012, 19:35   #9
bdcremer
The No SpinZone

You need to bend the connector left (looking at the frame like you shoot it) or towards the connector housing. Not much as a little goes a long way on the Ghost rocket. Also, polish the control tab that you fitted to get rid of the over-travel.

The slide has a camming surface that contacts the dog ear tab on any Glock connector. This area of the slide is what pushes that tab to reset the trigger. You're close.

If you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.

Last edited by bdcremer; 02-20-2012 at 19:36..
bdcremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 19:46   #10
JLarsson
Livin' FREE!!!

This isn't the Ghost Rocket connector - just the regular 3.5 drop-in. I'm familiar with the other one, but didn't get it.

I think a tiny bend is still in order, and as long as the trigger resets 100% of the time, I'm okay, right?

I did polish the edge of the "dog-ear tab" that contacts the camming surface inside the slide. I stripped the slide down completely so I could watch the interaction of the slide and tab. It's smoother and better. I didn't remove much metal - mostly just polishing.

" - Leonardo da Vinci

Last edited by JLarsson; 02-20-2012 at 19:46..
Old 02-21-2012, 20:02   #11
JLarsson
Livin' FREE!!!

Mission accomplished! I took the connector out this evening and bent it just a little bit so it was closer to 90 degrees than before. Still plenty of spring action in it and now the slide returns to battery as it should.

Really nice trigger, too. All is well.

" - Leonardo da Vinci

Old 02-21-2012, 21:00   #12
jb1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcremer View Post
You need to bend the connector left (looking at the frame like you shoot it) or towards the connector housing. Not much as a little goes a long way on the Ghost rocket. Also, polish the control tab that you fitted to get rid of the over-travel.

The slide has a camming surface that contacts the dog ear tab on any Glock connector. This area of the slide is what pushes that tab to reset the trigger. You're close.
This is the answer. I had the same problem with a LWD 3.5 connector. A little bend goes a long way but the bend absolutely solved it.

Black Rifle Club Member "LE6920Colt"
jb1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 21:11   #13
JLarsson
Livin' FREE!!!

In my excitement over getting it working, I forgot to thank you guys for your advice and assistance. Thank you VERY much and I really appreciate you taking the time to share from your experience.

" - Leonardo da Vinci

Old 02-22-2012, 20:13   #14
Eric2340
Infidel :)

factory 4.5 connector would not be doing this...................................

(sorry, don't mean to sound like a d*ck, but I hate it when I read one of these threads as I am adamant about using factory parts - especially the trigger :( ).

Old 02-22-2012, 20:24   #15
JLarsson
Livin' FREE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric2340 View Post
factory 4.5 connector would not be doing this...................................

(sorry, don't mean to sound like a d*ck, but I hate it when I read one of these threads as I am adamant about using factory parts - especially the trigger :( ).

I have had factory connectors that would keep the slide from returning to battery when held pointing upward at a 45-degree angle and trigger held back. So while it may not be common, it does happen.

" - Leonardo da Vinci

Old 02-22-2012, 20:30   #16
cciman

Actually he did say the stock WAS doing this too, and YES you sound like you only have one eye.

Any brand (-) connector will work fine in a Glock, because they all clone the (-) Glock factory connector. There is no magic fairy dust to the stock parts (they are outsourced too). The beauty of the Glock parts are very low tolerance to allow the widest range in functional variability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric2340 View Post

Old 02-22-2012, 20:39   #17
cciman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLarsson View Post
In my excitement over getting it working, I forgot to thank you guys for your advice and assistance. Thank you VERY much and I really appreciate you taking the time to share from your experience.
You are welcome.

You will find that these aftermarket trigger accessories are subtle in really what they do to the stock Glock trigger feel. Dry fire exercise, and playing with trigger control and reset control, is much more valuable than these little devices. After 1000-2000 rounds, these things do not make a huge difference, both the gun and you smooth out.

Last edited by cciman; 02-22-2012 at 20:40..
Old 02-22-2012, 21:43   #18
JLarsson
Livin' FREE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cciman View Post
You are welcome.

You will find that these aftermarket trigger accessories are subtle in really what they do to the stock Glock trigger feel. Dry fire exercise, and playing with trigger control and reset control, is much more valuable than these little devices. After 1000-2000 rounds, these things do not make a huge difference, both the gun and you smooth out.
I agree. What set me on this path was I picked up a used G22 (Gen 2) that had a Scherer 3.5 connector + NY spring. I disassembled the pistol completely for cleaning and decided to reassemble it with a standard trigger spring and the Scherer connector. I liked the feel of it a lot - not mushy as some have described but lighter yet still crisp.

So then I found what I thought was a decent deal on the Ghost 3.5's and decided to try one in my G23. Other than the drag problem, the trigger also felt lighter and crisp, but subtly different than the G22 with the Scherer. Now I'm not going to say that it's a Ghost vs. Scherer phenomenon, but maybe just a variation in several factors between the two pistols.

Either way, it's okay, and I'm liking them.

" - Leonardo da Vinci

Old 02-23-2012, 13:46   #19
Eric2340
Infidel :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cciman View Post
Actually he did say the stock WAS doing this too, and YES you sound like you only have one eye.

Any brand (-) connector will work fine in a Glock, because they all clone the (-) Glock factory connector. There is no magic fairy dust to the stock parts (they are outsourced too). The beauty of the Glock parts are very low tolerance to allow the widest range in functional variability.
I'm not going to turn this into a p*ssing contest, but I have heard from more than ONE member here complaining of problems after using a non-factory connector, and I have yet to hear of one complaining from either after putting in a factory one, or having one in there from the get go.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the EASIEST way to screw up a Glock, is to put AFTERMARKET crap in it. :( I am sure there is more than one Glock armorer here who would agree (and NO, I am NOT a certified Glock armorer either, but that does not make me wrong nor change the fact that certified ones do agree w/ that).

The ONLY aftermarket thing that should go on a Glock is sights if you want it to run right.

My $0.02
Old 02-23-2012, 16:31   #20
William Springer

1st ammendment rule, I like what he said?