Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-02-2012, 22:57   #21
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
Nowadays EVERYBODY makes a "mil-spec" models. Keep in mind only 3 companies have been entrusted with the DOD TDP's (technical data package) to make a true mil-spec rifle (less the select fire of course, for civilians)

Colt, FNH and Sabre Defense.

This doesnt mean they are the best. It just gives then a little clout and maybe some perceived re-sale value. Are they better? No. Will there be folks who will buy them over other brands based on name alone? Absolutely.
...and only two of those still exist.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 23:52   #22
BBJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearblue View Post
Ive got sights added to get the price to the $1050.

Why is the Colt better? Does it do something better? Does it have a lifetime warranty? Does it cut you food up for you? What makes it better ?
Yes it cuts up your food for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtpwnz View Post
Nah, they are complete equals. Have fun with your new Stag.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:06   #23
Cole125
Silver Membership

Quote:

Why is the Colt better? Does it do something better? Does it have a lifetime warranty? Does it cut you food up for you? What makes it better ?

Really you cannot go wrong with Stag. Guys will tell you you need a top of the line AR. That is fine if you have the money but unless you are a hard use operator you will not be able to tell the difference between middle of the road and high end ARs.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:28   #24
Magelk

Quote:

Colt has a 1 year warranty.
Stag is lifetime.

Colt has a shot peened bolt, Stag doesn't.
Colt's gas key will be properly staked, Stag's - maybe.

Colt's barrel will be 11595E, Stag will be 4140.

Colt's barrel will be HPT/MPI, Stag does batch testing.

Same with the bolt.

Colt will be 1 in 7 twist, Stag will be 1 in 9.

What's all that mean? Nothing to most people. Figure out what you really want and if any of that matters to you. The shot peening of the bolt is in my opinion, the one thing stag shouldn't leave out.
Magelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 23:48   #25
Clearblue

Well with all that, I looked at a few others. I like the pieces of all of them. So I think I will just build one. I found a Stag lower for a good deal and I like the Daniel Defense trigger feel, so that will be the parts kit. I saw a Fail Zero complete BCG, got to go with that. As for the upper, since I'm a lefty, I am still looking at the Stag model 3 with the railed forend and flip down metal sights. I'm not shooting heavy ammo, so I think the 1:9 twist will be fine. A mil spec buffer and Magpul adj. stock and MBUS flip down sights and I'm good to go. And now for under $1000
Clearblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:28   #26
jamesbern

Quote:
Well with all that, I looked at a few others. I like the pieces of all of them. So I think I will just build one. I found a Stag lower for a good deal and I like the Daniel Defense trigger feel, so that will be the parts kit. I saw a Fail Zero complete BCG, got to go with that. As for the upper, since I'm a lefty, I am still looking at the Stag model 3 with the railed forend and flip down metal sights. I'm not shooting heavy ammo, so I think the 1:9 twist will be fine. A mil spec buffer and Magpul adj. stock and MBUS flip down sights and I'm good to go. And now for under $1000
I wouldn't worry about a lefty upper and BCG (you do realize you need a lefty bolt carrier group to use a left eject upper right?)

I'm a lefty as well and I'm currently running my custom build which is a standard right hand eject AR. Brass doesn't hit me at all and it is easy to see when i'm empty or if there was an issue.

Building your own, may I suggest the following:

Demo BCM upper complete ($80)
BCM M16 BCG ($140)
Gunfighter charging handle ($45)
For barrels depending on what you want check out BCM or Daniel Defense. I got my 16" mid length gas DD barrelf for $260 or so.

When you decide to step it up even more a lefty upper is going to be harder to sell than a right handed version.
jamesbern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:48   #27
Clearblue

Good point on the lefty vs right. Ive only looked at complete uppers minus the bcg. I'll have to check out your reccomendations.
Clearblue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ar-15, franklin, stag