GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 15:34   #51
Gray_Rider
Senior Member
 
Gray_Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Jacksonville Fla.
Posts: 1,434
Blog Entries: 1
Because I have reached for mine three times and drew once. I was taking the tension off the trigger when I was coming on target too....(No. I didn't have to shoot.)

Many times my hand was resting on my hidden pistol "just cuz" but it didn't go any further.

Gray_Rider
Unreconstructed Southerner
Deo Vindice
Gray_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 15:36   #52
BigNic
Senior Member
 
BigNic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 245
My carry weapon balances me. If I didn't carry, I would fall over onto my weak side.
BigNic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 16:02   #53
Luvdux
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullwinkle J Moose View Post
Why do you need me to justify to you why I exercise a God given legal right?


PS Luvdux, maybe you should stop telling people you carry. Nothing positive can come from broadcasting the fact.
Who said that I tell people or broadcast?

Sure I said it on here but I believe most here do. It was "broadcast" in the local paper when I got my permit but that is normal. My best friend asked me once when he saw me take it off when we got to my house one night. There are very few people who know and they know me very well and most that do carry as well.
Luvdux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 16:10   #54
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache
 
Dalton Wayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Location classified
Posts: 12,966
Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
Because I work a dangerous job deal with large sums of money, all at night in the hood, and a lot of the hood rats know where I live
__________________
Regards
DW
As Stephen F. Roberts so famously said speaking with a Christian apologist "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
Dalton Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 16:15   #55
frontier2011
Give Me Brass
 
frontier2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Coast
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by G30Mike View Post
Same reason here too. After what happened to me and realizing that I COULD happen to me, I've never seen a reason why I shouldn't have a gun with me everywhere I go. Its a one time investment that pays for itself over time and it will pay for itself if you need it.
It gives me a fighting chance against scumbags that may want to try to do me harm again. My weapon proved to me that it is an effective means to self defense then, and if something like that happens again, I will not only be ready at home, but now wherever I am.
so what happened??
frontier2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 16:21   #56
idahoglock
I'm Not Funny
 
idahoglock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In the Rockies
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUJEEPER View Post
Why I carry a gun...

I don't carry a gun to kill people. I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun to scare people. I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid. I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil. I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government. I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry. I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone. I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man. I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate. I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it. I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Stolen off another GT poster....
And.............zombies.

Last edited by idahoglock; 03-02-2012 at 16:22..
idahoglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 16:38   #57
G30Mike
Say When!
 
G30Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: St. Joseph MO
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier2011 View Post
so what happened??
Refer to this thread for my story....

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1393924
G30Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 16:41   #58
Ticman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 839
I carry to give myself another option when bad things happen. Of course, when you really need a gun there's really no other option.
__________________
Gun control: Itís like fighting drunk driving by restricting the sober drivers.
Ticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 18:15   #59
Seraph
Senior Member
 
Seraph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: TN, USA
Posts: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
In case I need to shoot somebody or something. Is there really another reason?
First post nails it down succinctly. That's exactly what I tend to say in response to that goofy question.
__________________
Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and there is the land of Bliss. ~ Miyamoto Musashi
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 19:02   #60
kensteele
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Leawood, KS
Posts: 7,866
devils advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza_pablo View Post
This should be in Carry Issues....but, anyways

I usually respond with something like, "I hope I don't have to use my spare tire, but I carry it" or, "I hope I don't have to use insurance, but I carry it", you get the idea.
Sorry to interrup this gun luvfest but...

Lot of good answers here but I disagree with these.

I ride a motorcycle and don't carry a spare tire. Don't need it or want it. Even so, lots of cars on the road with no spare tires. If the seller didn't put a spare in your car, you probably wouldn't have one either. If a decent spare cost $800 like a decent firearm, you probably wouldn't have one.

I carry auto insurance because it is mandatory in my state. Bottom line. No if ands or buts. Already people carry the state minimum if they can and most lienholders require full coverage. Auto insurance is hardly a desireable

While these answers might seem clever or catchy, they aren't very good or valid and will only temporarily fool the stupid anti-gunner. Please don't use these against the rationale person in a good argument since I believe it will actually make the gun owner sound pretty foolish. There are much better reasons to carry a firearm and as said, has to do with personal protection.

Everything in life has to do with risk but if you think about it, even when the risks are tiny to non-existent, many of us still carry. That includes in the shower in our locked homes. On the flip side, when the risks are highest (in Chicago), we don't carry. that's why I say, spare tires and auto insurance have zero to do with ccw.
kensteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 19:10   #61
writwing
Senior Member
 
writwing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo'Gunz View Post
2 tours in Afghanistan and 3 in Iraq. I just feel naked without my Glock

Thank you for serving.
__________________
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. T. Roosevelt
writwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 19:14   #62
kensteele
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Leawood, KS
Posts: 7,866
d.a.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve23323 View Post
If someone asks me, I ask them if they have a fire extinguisher in their kitchen. My pistol is just like thier fire extinguisher. When seconds count, you don't have minutes to wait for the fire department or police to arrive.....
But I'm not going to go to jail for using my fire extinguisher to put out a fire. So I'll get one and I'll use it if I have to.

Isn't it possible that you might get arrested or go to court or get sued and/or likely risk injury if you use a firearm instead of waiting for the police to arrive?

If I go shopping for the day, are you suggesting that I pickup a fire extinguisher AND a firearm (among other things) to mitigate the daily risks I face?

I just don't see how they are comparable. I know it SOUNDS good, but it's just not the same. You can't exactly lose your freedom because you explictly pulled the fire extinguisher trigger. Can you understand how some people may not be comfortable shooting another person and would rather implement some other [reasonable] form of self-protection? Surely you are not implying a firearm is the ONLY means to self-protection? Isn't it a matter of choice?

Personally I think people have fire extinguishers because they are inexpensive, easy to operate, and highly effective for the most frequent encounters. Still, many people do not have them. In my mind, a fire extinguisher takes care of small, easy to handle, sudden but anticipated problems...which you might equate to calling 911 using a cellphone (carrying a cellphone in case you need to call 911), not carrying a firearm for personal protection.

Last edited by kensteele; 03-02-2012 at 19:15..
kensteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 20:08   #63
Blaster
Hunc tu caveto
 
Blaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3,174
"The Gun Is Civilization" by Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret)

Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories,without exception. Reason or force, that's it.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion.

Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force.

The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gang banger, and a single guy on equal footing with a carload of drunken guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.

There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations. These are the people who think that we'd be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for a [armed] mugger to do his job. That, of course, is only true if the mugger's potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat--it has no validity when most of a mugger's potential marks are armed.

People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that's the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.

Then there's the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser.

People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don't constitute lethal force, watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level.

The gun is the only weapon that's as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weight lifter. It simply wouldn't work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn't both lethal and easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.
__________________
Up, Look, Press.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Last edited by Blaster; 03-02-2012 at 20:09..
Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 20:12   #64
G30Mike
Say When!
 
G30Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: St. Joseph MO
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensteele View Post
But I'm not going to go to jail for using my fire extinguisher to put out a fire. So I'll get one and I'll use it if I have to.

Isn't it possible that you might get arrested or go to court or get sued and/or likely risk injury if you use a firearm instead of waiting for the police to arrive?

If I go shopping for the day, are you suggesting that I pickup a fire extinguisher AND a firearm (among other things) to mitigate the daily risks I face?

I just don't see how they are comparable. I know it SOUNDS good, but it's just not the same. You can't exactly lose your freedom because you explictly pulled the fire extinguisher trigger. Can you understand how some people may not be comfortable shooting another person and would rather implement some other [reasonable] form of self-protection? Surely you are not implying a firearm is the ONLY means to self-protection? Isn't it a matter of choice?

Personally I think people have fire extinguishers because they are inexpensive, easy to operate, and highly effective for the most frequent encounters. Still, many people do not have them. In my mind, a fire extinguisher takes care of small, easy to handle, sudden but anticipated problems...which you might equate to calling 911 using a cellphone (carrying a cellphone in case you need to call 911), not carrying a firearm for personal protection.
Are your initials SB, JB, or HC?

I've used a firearm in self defense...obviously I'm not posting on GT from a state or federal penitentiary. In fact, I was never even "taken into custody". I did have to "go downtown" and make a statement, but I got to go home and get some things before I made my way to a motel.
There is a right time to use a firearm in SD, and there are other times that don't warrant its use.

Hopefully your post is only in jest.
G30Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 20:22   #65
CVN76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensteele View Post
But I'm not going to go to jail for using my fire extinguisher to put out a fire. So I'll get one and I'll use it if I have to.
In Georgia, I am not going to jail for using my gun or other weapon (maybe hitting them in the head with a fire extinguisher) to prevent death or major bodily injury to me or another person. Of course I would love the police help me, but until they arrive or if I don't have time to call first, then that is when the gun or other weapon will come in very handy.
CVN76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 20:41   #66
Rev.357
Senior Member
 
Rev.357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Heath Springs SC
Posts: 434
I've been a CC for 15yrs! I now carry every day because my wifes sister was kidnapped, raped & beat to death on 12-26-11. This by a man that never knew her or our family or even cares about what he was going to do to someone. Myself & my family will be ready for some sorry SOB that tryes hurt us or someone.
__________________
G17,G19C,G21,G22C,G22RTF2/Gills,G26,G31,G32
Colt Python .357MAG 6'' Colt Trooper .357MAG 4''
Don't Start Nothing!! Want Be Nothing!!
NRA Pistol Instructor
SC CWP Instructor
Rev.357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 21:25   #67
glockbob
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 266
Rev.357,

I hope you have the death penalty in SC. So sorry for the loss of your sister-in-law.
glockbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 21:34   #68
kensteele
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Leawood, KS
Posts: 7,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by G30Mike View Post
Are your initials SB, JB, or HC?

I've used a firearm in self defense...obviously I'm not posting on GT from a state or federal penitentiary. In fact, I was never even "taken into custody". I did have to "go downtown" and make a statement, but I got to go home and get some things before I made my way to a motel.
There is a right time to use a firearm in SD, and there are other times that don't warrant its use.

Hopefully your post is only in jest.
Don't know who those initials are.

Actually I don't know what your post is referring to so I'm going to just basically ignore it. Sounds like you're talking about how you came thru a personal experience just fine...which is great.
kensteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 21:39   #69
kensteele
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Leawood, KS
Posts: 7,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVN76 View Post
In Georgia, I am not going to jail for using my gun or other weapon (maybe hitting them in the head with a fire extinguisher) to prevent death or major bodily injury to me or another person. Of course I would love the police help me, but until they arrive or if I don't have time to call first, then that is when the gun or other weapon will come in very handy.
I never said you would go to jail for using your firearm. You said that...not me. I believe if you use your firearm in self-defense and you save your life, that's a good thing.

I thought the post said something about carrying a firearm yet in your last statment you clearly admit some other weapon as an alternative is feasible, correct? It's a personal thing for me but I don't see my firearm as something that "comes in handy if I don't have time to call first or until the police arrive." I don't see it that way for me, but I understand how you or others might carry that way.
kensteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 21:49   #70
G30Mike
Say When!
 
G30Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: St. Joseph MO
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensteele View Post
Don't know who those initials are.

Actually I don't know what your post is referring to so I'm going to just basically ignore it. Sounds like you're talking about how you came thru a personal experience just fine...which is great.
Now that I reread your post you are basically saying this.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30Mike View Post
There is a right time to use a firearm in SD, and there are other times that don't warrant its use.
So, with that, I aploligise for taking it out of context.
G30Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 21:57   #71
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr
 
racer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvdux View Post
It was "broadcast" in the local paper when I got my permit but that is normal.
It IS??? NORMAL? Wow. Glad I don't live there (wherever there is).

I've heard most of the answers given here before. Here's another approach to consider (answer with your own question):

"Why do you need to carry a gun?"

Why do you NOT carry a gun?

or

Why do you ask? (This is always a great answer to awkward or inappropriate questions like this one or others like "how much money do you make?")
racer88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 22:07   #72
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA
 
janice6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: minnesota
Posts: 17,246


Ex SIL is a convicted felon. He is 6'5" 300lbs and a truck driver. Since I financed my daughters divorce from him, he said he was going to "burn down" my daughters house with her in it, and he told the kids they "should not be there when it burns". He said he was going to kill me and my wife.

I laughed at him. He found out from my daughter that I was carrying a G27 w/15 rnd mag, all the time.

My daughter said he is scared silly of guns.

That was years ago. He is polite and stays out fo my way. My wife carrys an automatic or a 642. My daughter carrys a 642, my other daughter carrys a 642 My son carrys (now) a 2 Inch .357 Magnum Rhino, his wife (my DIL) carrys a 9mm XD.

That's immediate family.

We carry all the time. He now stays clear of all of us and treats my Daughter "very well".

That's why.
__________________
janice6

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 22:15   #73
Just_plinking
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 502
I believe that the more responsible people there are carrying legally, the less crime there will be. A lot of criminals don't think about anything but immediate consequences. I think the possibility of a potential victim being armed is a better deterrent than the justice system. So I agree with all the other good reasons listed in this thread, but also see it as sort of like casting your vote for a civilized and free society.

Last edited by Just_plinking; 03-02-2012 at 22:18..
Just_plinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:07   #74
ScottieG59
Senior Member
 
ScottieG59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural area near Kansas City, KS
Posts: 967
This is one of those questions I actually rarely hear. If anything, I hear how it would not help. Basically, the weapon gives me a chance in a situation where I may have no chance at all.

I do not try to convince those who fear firearms to change their ways. I just say that they should realize there are dangers and deal with it appropriately. This may be a gun, dogs, non-lethal weapons or carefully assessing your environment.

Some people are not suited to carry deadly weapons; some know it and some do not.
ScottieG59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:40   #75
DaneA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 2,502
"It's a proactive life insurance policy"
DaneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:50.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,006
327 Members
679 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42