Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-28-2012, 14:18   #1
ADK_40GLKr

Adirondacks?

Any Adirondackers here? Haven't run into too many over the past year or so.
Old 02-29-2012, 20:28   #2
ithaca_deerslayer

I get up there once in a while for skiing, camping, and once in a great while hunting.

Also took my kid on a train ride, "Thomas the tank engine"
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 21:55   #3
ADK_40GLKr

Love Ithaca. It's "gorge-ous".

We usually spend a week there around Memorial Day, and a couple weeks around July 4. We have a travel trailer at Brooktondale Campground up on White Church Road
Old 02-29-2012, 23:26   #4
Upstate Glocker

The People's Republic of Ithaca is NOT in the Adirondacks. The Birkenstock crowd that dwells in Ithaca wouldn't last a winter in the real mountains.

The Adirondacks are roughly defined as the region inside the Blue Line, otherwise known as the Adirondack Park. The region is filled with hearty stock of French-Canadians who migrated south a hundred or so years ago. And then there are the New York City folk who vacation there. We tolerate them so long as they spend their money. Otherwise, not so much.

Lots of small gun clubs throughout the Adirondacks. DU is a popular club. Most homes have a few guns, mostly for hunting. The .30-30 is probably the most popular hunting rifle for deer, followed by .308. We're getting more moose these days along with coyotes and lots of black bear.
Upstate Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:30   #5
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Glocker View Post
The People's Republic of Ithaca is NOT in the Adirondacks. The Birkenstock crowd that dwells in Ithaca wouldn't last a winter in the real mountains.

The Adirondacks are roughly defined as the region inside the Blue Line, otherwise known as the Adirondack Park. The region is filled with hearty stock of French-Canadians who migrated south a hundred or so years ago. And then there are the New York City folk who vacation there. We tolerate them so long as they spend their money. Otherwise, not so much.

Lots of small gun clubs throughout the Adirondacks. DU is a popular club. Most homes have a few guns, mostly for hunting. The .30-30 is probably the most popular hunting rifle for deer, followed by .308. We're getting more moose these days along with coyotes and lots of black bear.
That's why I took my .30-06 up there to Birkenstock a deer with And drink Blue Light Canadian lager. And rode a moose home before the -30s hit, after spending a few loonies.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 14:45   #6
Golddog

I've spent many weeks over the past fifty years running, hiking, and kayaking in Adirondack back country. But -25 degree winter temperatures have convinced me to live in more southerly precincts.
Golddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:15   #7
ADK_40GLKr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddog View Post
I've spent many weeks over the past fifty years running, hiking, and kayaking in Adirondack back country. But -25 degree winter temperatures have convinced me to live in more southerly precincts.
Nothin much below zero this year! (though I HAVE seen minus 40 in Lake Placid)

Given the choice between minus 25 or urban sprawl would be pretty rough. Or is YOUR neck of the woods out in the "neck" of MD? (I like 81 out there where I can be in PA, MD, WV & VA all in an hour's time.)

Last edited by ADK_40GLKr; 03-02-2012 at 09:22..
ADK_40GLKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:38   #8
Chesafreak

I lived just outside the Adirondack Park in Hannawa Falls and Canton when I worked in Potsdam from 1998 through 2001. I loved taking drives through the Adirondacks and sightseeing in many of the small towns throughout. My only regret is that I was so busy with work that I didn't do more camping and hiking there.
Chesafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 19:18   #9
Teddy57

Live and work close to the ADK. Beautiful country up here and a pretty nice place to raise a family.
Teddy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:49   #10
3rdgen40
.45 fanatic

Born and raised in the Adirondack Mountains, Ticonderoga to be specific.Living in Arkansas now though.
Old 03-03-2012, 19:13   #11
ADK_40GLKr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy57 View Post
Live and work close to the ADK. Beautiful country up here and a pretty nice place to raise a family.
+1 makes being a gun owner in NYS almost bearable!
Old 03-10-2012, 09:49   #12
oily_oink
###########

From Michigan!
Old 03-10-2012, 12:29   #13
the iceman
CLM Number 276
Proud Veteran

Welcome aboard!
Old 03-24-2012, 13:42   #14
ADK_40GLKr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Glocker View Post
?..the Adirondack Park....region is filled with hearty stock of French-Canadians who migrated south a hundred or so years ago. And then there are the New York City folk who vacation there. We tolerate them so long as they spend their money. Otherwise, not so much. .
Hey Upstate! Where do you hail from? I call those NuYawkers "urban refugees" although there are a lot more across the lake in Burlington. Ever hear Bernie Sanders speak?

Adirondacks are also populated by Anglo-Saxon stock who gradually migrated westward after getting off the Mayflower, etc., and there will be a lot of Eastern European ancestry in the old logging or mining towns like Lyon Mountain.

You're probably aware that any North Country community of any size has at least two Catholic Churches: 1 for the French and 1 for the Irish and then there'll be an Episcopal or Methodist for us WASPS. (but THOSE ethnic barriers are starting to break down.)
Old 03-30-2012, 13:51   #15
gitira6

I'm from northeast Pa. but I spent a few years at the New York State Ranger School in Wanakena NY, just off of Rt 3, not far from Cranberry Lake/ Star Lake. Graduated in '96
and wish I could have landed a job there, and stayed. I wont forget 30 below and snowshoes.
gitira6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 13:52   #16
gitira6

Also wont forget daily trips to the weather station in the middle of winter.
Old 03-30-2012, 13:59   #17
Vincine

Saranac Lake in the house.
Vincine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 14:05   #18
gitira6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Saranac Lake in the house.
Spent alot of time in the bar down the street from Hotel Saranac on same side (its been too many years to remember the name), they had a bar on first floor and live bands on the second floor.
Old 03-30-2012, 16:20   #19
Vincine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitira6 View Post
Spent alot of time in the bar down the street from Hotel Saranac on same side (its been too many years to remember the name), they had a bar on first floor and live bands on the second floor.
The Waterhole. Once it was called The Waterhole #3. I always wondered where #s 1 & 2 were. http://saranaclakewaterhole.com/
Vincine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 18:40   #20
gitira6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
The Waterhole. Once it was called The Waterhole #3. I always wondered where #s 1 & 2 were. [url]http://saranaclakewaterhole.com/[/url]
Yes, the Waterhole, and there used to be the Watering hole near cranberry lake...