SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-01-2012, 17:52   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schabesbert View Post
Nothing. I just gave it.
I'm sorry if it takes more than one word to answer. Can't you work hard and get through the answer that I posted?

Nope. Your insistence on oversimplifying something about which you apparently don't have sufficient background to understand is what is saying that. You wouldn't be asking the question in the way you asked, and asked, and asked IF you had any understanding of the subject matter.

Now, I answered it. I'm endorsing the portion of the article that I quoted. Read Dei Verbum. Prove that you ARE capable of understanding a more technical article.
You haven't answered anything, all you've done is copy and pasted someone else's answer.
I've already jumped though enough of your hoops for a yes or no answer. I don't appreciate being talked down to. Thanks.

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.

Last edited by 427; 03-01-2012 at 17:56..
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 17:54   #42
Schabesbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
Here's a way out for you: if you refuse to give your opinion, just say so.
I gave my opinion. Are you really saying that you're incapable of understanding it?

Yes, with the definition of "literal" that I quoted, I believe that the Bible is literally true.

Ho kurios mou, kai ho theos mou
Schabesbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 17:58   #43

Quote:
I gave my opinion. Are you really saying that you're incapable of understanding it?

Yes, with the definition of "literal" that I quoted, I believe that the Bible is literally true.
I wanted a straight forward yes or no answer. Now that you've given it, thanks.

Old 03-01-2012, 18:03   #44
muscogee

Quote:
Never was. But hey, thanks for showing that misconceptions are still alive for people who wish to remain ignorant.
Quote:
In April, the Inquisition formally interrogates Galileo, who has been detained in the building of the Inquisition for several weeks. Galileo agrees to plead guilty in order to receive a lenient sentence, and on April 30 he confesses that he advocated Copernican theory too vigorously in the Dialogue. He agrees to modify his opinions in his next work.

In June, the Pope orders Galileo imprisoned indefinitely under house arrest. Galileo makes his way back to his villa in Arcetri, near Florence, where he spends the remainder of his life under house arrest.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/galileo/life.html

I know, I know. PBS is biased.

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 18:08   #45
Schabesbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/galileo/life.html

I know, I know. PBS is biased.
Apparently, there is very little you actually know, while thinking that you know very much.

Are you actually claiming that the Copernican theory disproved that the Earth is flat?

Do you have any idea what you're talking about?

That was a rhetorical question. The answer is, of course, no.

Old 03-01-2012, 18:35   #46

Quote:
Ahh, another literalist fundamentalist atheist.
This seems common among the atheist group.

Read Reading the Bible Like a Grown-Up
http://catholicexchange.com/reading-...ke-a-grown-up/

(is it just me, or don't the editing buttons work for everyone?)

“Christ came to take away our sins, not our minds.”
― William Sloane Coffin
You label me a "another literalist fundamentalist atheist" yet you admit, after a number of posts, that you are, in fact, a literalist yourself! Ironic.
Let me guess, your "go to" response is that you are only smart person who has the ability to understand what the bible really says, and that I'm too childish, right?

Old 03-01-2012, 18:58   #47
Schabesbert

Quote:
You label me a "another literalist fundamentalist atheist" yet you admit, after a number of posts, that you are, in fact, a literalist yourself! Ironic.

Let me guess, your "go to" response is that you are only smart person who has the ability to understand what the bible really says, and that I'm too childish, right?
What's truly ironic is that you don't understand the difference between a "literal" and a "literalistic" interpretation. It's ironic in that it displays exactly the point that you were trying to circumvent.

A literalist doesn't take into account things like idioms, as in my example about a "broken heart" above.

Old 03-01-2012, 19:19   #48

Quote:
What's truly ironic is that you don't understand the difference between a "literal" and a "literalistic" interpretation. It's ironic in that it displays exactly the point that you were trying to circumvent.

A literalist doesn't take into account things like idioms, as in my example about a "broken heart" above.
If you had a "literalistic interpretation" of the bible, you would've specifically made that point. Instead, you stated that "I believe that the Bible is literally true".

I think we all understand what idioms are as most of us have had a formal religious education. thanks.

Last edited by 427; 03-01-2012 at 19:22..
Old 03-02-2012, 09:13   #49
Schabesbert

Quote:
If you had a "literalistic interpretation" of the bible, you would've specifically made that point. Instead, you stated that "I believe that the Bible is literally true".

I think we all understand what idioms are as most of us have had a formal religious education. thanks.
Apparently that did not extend to what the theological definition of "literal" entails. That's what I was trying to clarify. I see it all over the place, and particularly on this website.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:21   #50
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Schabesbert, this word game argument is beneath you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:37   #51
Schabesbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
Schabesbert, this word game argument is beneath you.
Trying to have a discussion without properly defined terms is meaningless.

In any course or conference on philosophy, you learn that term definitions are all-important.

Trying to have a discussion involving a term using two different definitions leads to chaos. It's like trying to discuss things with Humpty Dumpty in Through The Looking Glass.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:41   #52
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Trying to have a discussion involving a term using two different definitions leads to chaos. It's like trying to discuss things with Humpty Dumpty in Through The Looking Glass.
That's just a bunch of jabberwocky...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 17:40   #53
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasso View Post
Certain things just weren't created for us to eat. When you eat shrimp you are eating whatever they just ate. Literally. If you like decaying, bacteria ridden, refuse from the floor of the ocean, then go for it.

Likewise, pig has up to 19 different parasites, many of which cannot be killed by cooking, even when charred to a black cinder. It is recently believed to be a contributing factor to Alzheimers and arthritis. They have veins running to their hoofs who's only purpose is to drain the toxins from their bodies. If these clog the pig will break out in green boils and die. Eat 'em up.

He gave us an instruction book. He won't make you use it.
Um, you pull the vein (actually the gut) out in one nice motion. Gutting a deer is rocket science compared to that.

And pig is just fine if you cook it right. I've been eating it all my life and suffered no ill effects. I'm not the only one.

Face it, the men who wrote the bible saw people get sick when they ate certain animals that took some additional preparation to be safe and declared them off limits. They may have had the best of intentions but their ignorance is still apparent.

God would have had the sense to say, "Take the vein out of the shrimp and cook the pigs to 165 degrees... and here's how to make a thermometer while I'm thinking about it..." but instead there's plenty of talk about making sure god's ass has been sufficiently kissed.

As it turns out the bible doesn't contain any useful scientific information. It's pretty much the opposite of that.

Last edited by Gunhaver; 03-02-2012 at 17:45..
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 17:49   #54
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
God would have had the sense to say, "Take the vein out of the shrimp and cook the pigs to 165 degrees... and here's how to make a thermometer while I'm thinking about it..."
I can't even imagine the countless number of lives that could have been spared over many centuries had the Bible contained an admonishment to keep your poop away from your food and water supply.

-ArtificialGrape
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 17:50   #55
muscogee

Quote:
Um, you pull the vein (actually the gut) out in one nice motion. Gutting a deer is rocket science compared to that.

And pig is just fine if you cook it right. I've been eating it all my life and suffered no ill effects. I'm not the only one.

Face it, the men who wrote the bible saw people get sick when they ate certain animals that took some additional preparation to be safe and declared them off limits. They may have had the best of intentions but their ignorance is still apparent.

God would have had the sense to say, "Take the vein out of the shrimp and cook the pigs to 165 degrees... and here's how to make a thermometer while I'm thinking about it..." but instead there's plenty of talk about making sure god's ass has been sufficiently kissed.

As it turns out the bible doesn't contain any useful scientific information. It's pretty much the opposite of that.

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 19:27   #56
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IhRedrider View Post
From this interpretation of scripture, I can see a better picture of why you turned from God. I think that it is probable that the lies of men about God has turned you stomach. I fully understand why, if that is the case. I would assert that remain turned away from man and his lies, and turn back to God. Peace to you.
There is a reason God told us not to eat those things. They are scavangers and are the one's that clean the trash of nature by using their own bodies. When you eat them, it opens yourself up to disease and parasites. He made those rules for our best interest.
Old 03-02-2012, 19:37   #57
FCoulter

Quote:

Oh Really? I won't even respond to such a close minded, ignorant statement.
FCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 19:40   #58
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
There is a reason God told us not to eat those things. They are scavangers and are the one's that clean the trash of nature by using their own bodies. When you eat them, it opens yourself up to disease and parasites. He made those rules for our best interest.
Is that why he didn't put scales on catfish?
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 19:43   #59
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

Quote:
Is that why he didn't put scales on catfish?
Catfish are the bottom feeders of any water way. Their express purpose in life is eating the dung and decayed bodies that litter the bottom. Now, considering that, God was only looking out for us by instructing us not to eat them.
Old 03-02-2012, 19:46   #60
Sarge1400

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCoulter View Post
Oh Really? I won't even respond to such a close minded, ignorant statement.
You responded by saying you won't respond. Epic.
Sarge1400 is offline   Reply With Quote