SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:09   #1
Deanster
CLM Number 250
Cheese?

'First Tier' SD Ammo for .45ACP/5.56/12ga?

Hi! Thanks for being willing to share with us here on GT!

I'm rotating my SD ammo after a few years with most of it sitting in the safe, and thought I'd check in and see if there's anything that's jumped out in recent years as 'top tier' that I should be looking at as I put together an order?

I'm looking for .45ACP, 5.56mm, 12ga, and 9mm. Handguns are compact Glocks, long guns are a 16" Colt AR-15 and Benelli M1S90. Home defense is the most-likely scenario, though I'd prefer loads for all firearms that are good general-purpose 'all-hazards' rounds, if possible.

My current ammo is 230gr Remington Golden Sabre (unbounded) for .45ACP, generic 5.56 SS109, 000 buckshot/rottweiler slugs for 12ga and 9mm Speer Gold Dot 115gr +p+.

It sure seems like Speer Gold Dot is the preferred SD handgun ammo, so my default purchase would be .45ACP 230gr Gold Dot and 9mm 124gr Gold Dots. 5.56 seems more challenging - the 'default' seems to be one of the various flavors of Hornady TAP. Advice on 12ga seems to be all over the place, from 00 buck to birdshot, so I'd be very appreciative of any recommendations there. I'd probably go with Federal 000 'tactical' loads if nothing else leaps out as better.

Thanks again!

Your behavior angers God and/or the Constitution. Just sayin'.

I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by low barometric pressure, and not gay marriage.
Deanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:05   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

For HD purposes, you've made good choices on .45 and 9mm (I'd suggest +P in the latter), and in .223. For the Benelli, it would be hard to beat Express load #1 buck.

Just one more guy's opinion,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote