Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-26-2012, 21:01   #41
copo9560

I have owned 2 Mini's in the past and my son owns one of the newer tactical ones now. The new ones are far more accurate than the old versions but seem to have gained some weight over time. All have been extremely reliable and have no issues shooting steel case import crap ammo he can find for $4 a box. I have tried this ammo in AR's with very limited success. Says something to me about reliability

I now shoot a 14.5 inch AR and prefer it due to smaller size and weight over Mini. With Eotech site, match trigger I also have way more money invested.
copo9560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 21:36   #42
TexasVine

I'm kind of shocked by the negativity the original post has received. The OP was just saying the gun was worth taking a look at. I do own an AR (J.P. Enterprises) but by all means I can not be a critic of the Mini 14 because I have never owned one or shot one enough to be a critic. I often wonder how many of the posters with negative comments have any first hand experience with a Mini 14. Now the comments made by those who have, I will respect and give some type of credence to. With that being said, this thread has stirred an interest in me to go out and look at one.

Last edited by TexasVine; 02-26-2012 at 21:50..
TexasVine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 23:17   #43
cyphertext

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hafler View Post
What I have noticed is you can talk AR's and the Mini 14 guys do not feel the need to jump in on there post, but if you start a mini 14 post the flood gates open with all sorts AR this and that nonsense. Happenes everytime.
I believe the OP originally put this in the black rifle forum and compared it with the AR. Of course AR guys are going to comment when it is posted like that.
cyphertext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 23:32   #44
dooga
New to Glocks

Send a message via AIM to dooga Send a message via MSN to dooga Send a message via Yahoo to dooga Send a message via Skype™ to dooga
I am going to get a Mini 14 because I want a 5.5mm high-capacity rifle without being a black gun it bring perceived as being a tacticool assault rifle.
Old 02-26-2012, 23:41   #45
gforester
Motorhead

Mine may not be a tack driver, but at 100 yards it can do this. For what it is I think it does just fine.

General Firearms Forum
Florida Glocker #209
Free Body Piercings by Glock, Inquire Within!
gforester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 23:47   #46
carbuncle
is not cool.

I was watching A-Team on Netflix last night and thinking I may need a Mini 14 someday.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2012, 06:52   #47
Big Mad Dawg

AR 15 and mini 14 are like auto pistols and revolvers some people like both some only like one and not the other.
If you like either or both good for you if you feel the need to dump on one or the other shame on you.

I personally own more than one AR 15 and have been issued M 16’s I never even shot a mini 14 but if it fits your needs enjoy.

Why so serious

If you donít have any horses you must saddle your dogs - Dr. Saad
Big Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:10   #48
Bob Hafler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphertext View Post
I believe the OP originally put this in the black rifle forum and compared it with the AR. Of course AR guys are going to comment when it is posted like that.
Please AR guys give there Blah ,blah opinions on how there AR's are so much better than the Mini 14 everytime out no matter where it's put . Anyone who believes that a comparable priced AR shoots better than the Mini 14 is a fool. And many times there comparing them to the old Mini 14's not the newer ones. That most have never even touched much less shot. If they did they might not want to be talking such smack to those who know better.
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:02   #49
cyphertext

Quote:
Anyone who believes that a comparable priced AR shoots better than the Mini 14 is a fool. And many times there comparing them to the old Mini 14's not the newer ones. That most have never even touched much less shot. If they did they might not want to be talking such smack to those who know better.
I'll admit that I have not shot a newer one. My step-dad had an 80's production one that I shot as a kid. Never shot it from a bench, but was able to kill milk jugs with it. It was a fun gun, taken out to the lease for plinking and maybe a coyote or two.

From just a quick look at Bud's, it appears that the Mini 14 goes from $650 up to the $800s, depending on model. I can tell you that unless that Mini 14 is capable of shooting sub MOA, it is not going to compete with some of the ARs in that price range.

I'm fairly new to ARs, and I just bought a S&W M&P 15 Sport. It gets bashed by AR folks more than the Mini 14, I bet... I took it out for the first time yesterday, and after I got it sighted in, my last 3 shot string from sandbags had two in the bull touching, and the third a little high and just outside the bull in the 10 ring. This was 50 yards, iron sights, shooting Russian steal cased ammo. That rifle has a MSRP of $709, but many have found them for less than $600.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:10   #50
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

It's been said time & time again,......a Mini 14 is not now,
nor will it EVER be an AR15!

They are non-comparable! The Mini is a small skeek rifle.
It's very capable and accurate for 3-5 shots, it is very ammo
sensitive. An owner MUST try a few brands to see what it
actually likes. A Mini will never be as accurate as an AR15
when used as a bench blaster.

It's not better, it's not worse, it's just different!
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:39   #51
Bob Hafler

Quote:
I'll admit that I have not shot a newer one. My step-dad had an 80's production one that I shot as a kid. Never shot it from a bench, but was able to kill milk jugs with it. It was a fun gun, taken out to the lease for plinking and maybe a coyote or two.

From just a quick look at Bud's, it appears that the Mini 14 goes from $650 up to the $800s, depending on model. I can tell you that unless that Mini 14 is capable of shooting sub MOA, it is not going to compete with some of the ARs in that price range.

I'm fairly new to ARs, and I just bought a S&W M&P 15 Sport. It gets bashed by AR folks more than the Mini 14, I bet... I took it out for the first time yesterday, and after I got it sighted in, my last 3 shot string from sandbags had two in the bull touching, and the third a little high and just outside the bull in the 10 ring. This was 50 yards, iron sights, shooting Russian steal cased ammo. That rifle has a MSRP of $709, but many have found them for less than $600.
I paid $529+ tax out the door at my LGs for a mini 14 wooden stock Ranch rifle and I've heard all the mini 14 trash talk many times before. I've still never met anyone who will put there smart phone up on a fence post 100 yds away and have me take a few shots at it no matter how many rounds I've put through it. This old wives tale about the mini 14 not being accurate after the first couple rounds might have be true at one time when they used the pencil thin barrels but not anymore. Like I said many AR fans want to compare todays AR15's to yesterdays Mini 14's. Always make me laugh when I see these one sided comparisons..
Old 02-27-2012, 09:50   #52
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Quote:
I paid $529+ tax out the door at my LGs for a mini 14 wooden stock Ranch rifle and I've heard all the mini 14 trash talk many times before. I've still never met anyone who will put there smart phone up on a fence post 100 yds away and have me take a few shots at it no matter how many rounds I've put through it. This old wives tale about the mini 14 not being accurate after the first couple rounds might have be true at one time when they used the pencil thin barrels but not anymore. Like I said many AR fans want to compare todays AR15's to yesterdays Mini 14's. Always make me laugh when I see these one sided comparisons..
I paid $250 and $325 for my two. The second one was a pre ban factory folder still N.I.B. at an estate sale. They are both stainless guns. They will digest any ammo I feed them.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:56   #53
AngryPanda
Is he a troll?

Quote:

Same way people use vietnam era AR's to compare with other rifles?

I don't have a horse in this race, but being able to hit an object the size of a smart phone at 100 yards with "a few shots" isn't winning me over to the Mini 14 side. With "a few" shots I could do it with a lot of my handguns.
AngryPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:09   #54
Bob Hafler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryPanda View Post
Same way people use vietnam era AR's to compare with other rifles?

I don't have a horse in this race, but being able to hit an object the size of a smart phone at 100 yards with "a few shots" isn't winning me over to the Mini 14 side. With "a few" shots I could do it with a lot of my handguns.

But if the Mini 14 is as bad in accuracy as some would have others believe it is then what's the problem.

Last edited by Bob Hafler; 02-27-2012 at 10:10..
Old 02-27-2012, 10:21   #55
cyphertext

Quote:
But if the Mini 14 is as bad in accuracy as some would have others believe it is then what's the problem.
The problem is that you stated "Anyone who believes that a comparable priced AR shoots better than the Mini 14 is a fool", then offer up being able to hit a 4.5" x 2.5" target at 100 yards "with a few shots" as proof of accuracy. If you are shooting supported, with a scope, that is no great feat.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:32   #56
Bob Hafler

Quote:
The problem is that you stated "Anyone who believes that a comparable priced AR shoots better than the Mini 14 is a fool", then offer up being able to hit a 4.5" x 2.5" target at 100 yards "with a few shots" as proof of accuracy. If you are shooting supported, with a scope, that is no great feat.
Who ever mentioned supported or scope. Wasn't me. I own a plain wooden stock ranch rifle. Iron sites.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:39   #57
H&K 4 LIFE
Leonum A Ignis

I like mine. It works and shoots decent. Good enough for me.

General Firearms Forum
Old 02-27-2012, 10:44   #58
AngryPanda
Is he a troll?

Quote:
Who ever mentioned supported or scope. Wasn't me. I own a plain wooden stock ranch rifle. Iron sites.
Still not really all that impressive. Not saying the Mini is a bad rifle, I just am not swayed by this argument that it is any more, or as accurate as an AR. I can do this with any rifle I own, especially with a few shots. Hell I have an old semi auto .22 that the boss gave me for free that I could do this with and I don't even remember who makes it. I think it's a "Squires Bingham" or something like that.
AngryPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:44   #59
Bob Hafler

Yea I'd say he pretty much dead.
Panda you are the man what else can I say.

Last edited by Bob Hafler; 02-27-2012 at 10:47..
Old 02-27-2012, 10:46   #60
cyphertext

Quote:
OK, a little more challenging, as my eyes aren't what they used to be, and the front post is going to appear wider than the target at that range.

I'm due for a phone upgrade Bob...where you located? If we are in the same area, I'll supply the phone, you supply the 100 yards and the fence post.