Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-29-2012, 18:38   #181
JDSTG58

Last edited by JDSTG58; 01-18-2013 at 17:30..
JDSTG58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 18:46   #182
Aceman

This thread is better than Doomsday Preppers.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 18:56   #183
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
Not true. It does not have that overweight hot chick from Houston.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."

Last edited by jdavionic; 02-29-2012 at 18:57..
jdavionic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 18:59   #184
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
You know an interesting observation? There are a bunch of posts suggesting that this is not an issue because that's why we prep.

Is it just me, or am I seeing some posts that are kind of in denial, or avoiding the issue, suggesting that it wouldn't come to that, or that aren't addressing the issue?
Well said.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 19:42   #185
cheapshot

Yes i would. Simple as that.
cheapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 20:33   #186
kalifornia

there are no preps in Hades so why go there?
kalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 21:15   #187
tower59

R a m b o

"Live for nothing...or die for something."

Gentlemen, whether in the first or third person, Rambo is quite an accomplished poet. Let's all take a moment and reflect on what John Rambo has added to our language.

Carry on.
tower59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 21:39   #188
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsn969 View Post
The moral bankruptcy of many site members is appalling. This thread is certainly eye opening...

Also consider this..

Look how many G/T members posting in this thread..

..that normally do not post in SPF!

Could it be that a bunch of bored GT'ers that normally reside in the non-relevant forums like GNG...

.."Hey guys & gals.... the SPF'ers have started another thread about robbing & eating each other....let's go stir the pot!!"

My vote is yes!

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"
LongGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 21:39   #189
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
For all the preppers who think their supplies would never run out because they are "adequately" prepped, how long does it take to run out and what are you going to do when it does run out? If the world ended, your supplies will eventually run out unless you really have a huge self-sufficient commune of sorts. That's no joke.

So let's talk about that instead of saying you will never never never because your preps will last forever and ever and ever. What if it does run out? What if something wipes it out like a flood or rats or whatever? What if a freak fire burns down your barn of supplies? Things happen. That is the discussion at hand.
I am pretty sure that most "preppers" acknowledge there will have to be a rebuilding of sorts and that you will have to be self sufficient and produce your own food.

Prepping is not just about storing food, but also about creating renewable resources of food. Food storage, as I understand it, is just to get you through a relatively short period of time until you can regroup and "start again", not live out the rest of your life on 40+ years of food....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 22:24   #190
Snaps
Hail 2 The King

Yes, however I'd prefer not too. Nobody is going to starve or let the ones they love starve if they can do anything about it
Old 02-29-2012, 22:53   #191
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

What kind of wine goes with human meat?
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 23:22   #192
Airhasz

Just look at the Jewish inforced ghettos in Poland and the starvation imposed on them by Adolf Shltler and that over fed slob Hermann Göring. People starving there and in the concentration camps and not one single report of cannibalism and I have viewed and read thousands of hours of info on this suffering. So it is not true that people will naturally resort to the Donner Party's decision to eat the dead. There were bodies everywhere during this horrible struggle of prisoners during WWll in Europe. I guess I just dispelled that myth! The Donner Party were the exception not the rule...
Airhasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 23:33   #193
racerford

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
Its happening all over the place in Africa all the time. Warlords take over the food through force, and kill other factions and take their supplies. If you're part of another group, your likely to get cut up, or shot up.

But I'm guessing you only know of Africa from what you've seen on TV. You can deny it, you can claim how you wouldn't resort to it, but at the end of the day, history proves that when the times get nasty, the primal side of humans come out. Its irrefutable, and indisputable. Anyone who claims otherwise, is either ill informed the history of humankind, or in denial.
Once again you go away from the idea presented in the thread. A father/family with kids seeing their children starving will go out an kill random people for their food.

Your example of a WARLORD capturing food and killing others to do it is not on point. That is a power play, not a case of an average starving father killing to feed his family. He is controlling the food for power and to get others to fight for him. He is controlling it for money, people will give up everything they own to eat. First the warlord is not likely starving, nor are his troops. Starving people make poor warriors. Why do you think that the US spends so much money making sure our troops are fed. Why do you think that armies go to great lengths to cut off the enemies food supply. A starving army will often surrender. Again that is why seiges worked.

Why are there so many starving people in Africa when they could easily machete their neighbor in the night and eat them? Or just wait until they die and eat them? Only half as many people should be starving because they ate their neighbors. It is just not happening with any regularity.
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 23:45   #194
racerford

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieKing View Post

If you had asked the Donner Party people if they would ever resort to cannibalism they would have looked at you in horror and chased you out of whatever room you were in. In reality? They ate a whole lot of the other white meat.

We've seen cannibalism all over the world all the time. Right now it's in a low but it's still there.

And the same applies to attacking others for their supplies. Wars have always been fought over resources not fortune (to the guy up thread who said that). You might not attack and steal from your group but you sure as hell will attack that group over the hill.

Recent review of the Donner party event would suggest that the level of cannibalism was grossly overstated. The Andes soccer team event was not people killing others, but agreement about about eating the already dead.

Cannibalism has traditionally not been practiced as a source of food, but rather of power or knowledge. One ate certain parts to gain the power of the defeated or the knowledge of a dead relative. In other cases the eaten were not considered humans, but chattel because they were so different from themselves.

The French, English, Spanish, Dutch and Portuguese that dominated and colonialized much of the world did not do so to get their food. They did it for riches. Alexander the great did not defeat much of the known world for food, but riches. However, again even if they did none of it was avearage STARVING fathers trying to feed their kids. It was powerful people trying to become more powerful.
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 00:27   #195
mdsn969

Quote:
Yeah Doomsday Preppers blows, this thread is a hoot...
mdsn969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 00:39   #196
Triple7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhasz View Post
Just look at the Jewish inforced ghettos in Poland and the starvation imposed on them by Adolf Shltler and that over fed slob Hermann Göring. People starving there and in the concentration camps and not one single report of cannibalism and I have viewed and read thousands of hours of info on this suffering. So it is not true that people will naturally resort to the Donner Party's decision to eat the dead. There were bodies everywhere during this horrible struggle of prisoners during WWll in Europe. I guess I just dispelled that myth! The Donner Party were the exception not the rule...
Well to the Jews that is a huge sin. For most it would be better to die than to commit that sin

Gen 2 Glock 17
Gen 4 Glock 17
Triple7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:07   #197
mdsn969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolster View Post
You responding to me? That's not what I said.

I've said there *will* be killing (that's obvious), but that most people will pull together in a tribe for group protection.

You imply it will be a "war of all against all." It won't be like that. Where there is competition and aggression, it will be largely group against group. There will be killing-- likely not as much as you're expecting-- and most of it won't be neighbor against neighbor.

You are making the common error of looking at extreme behavior, and thinking it's normative behavior. I'm talking about most people's behavior, not the nut-cases.

I'm going to start calling this extreme perspective that keeps cropping up in this thread, "bloodbathism." This wacky idea that humans will stop behaving as humans have behaved for aeons, and that each neighbor will suddenly fly at his neighbor's throat when they're hungry. That sort of behavior is extremely rare for humans, who are social animals.

Stop watching so much TV and playing so many first-person-shooter video games, you bloodbathists. Read some history or observe people's behavior in dire situations. Try some empiricism.
Bolster,

Your analysis is spot on, keep up the great posts!!!
mdsn969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:25   #198
.45 Combat

shooting boyh ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael e View Post
No one can truely say how they would handle it until in that situation.
I believe, there would be people shooting both ways. Not a good thing, and to say this, some of you kind of me. To me, I feel communities should come together. No man, is his own fortress for very long.
.45 Combat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:06   #199
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Cannibalism may or may not have happened in the ghetto but they did happen in the concentration camps. Situations were way more desperate and severe in the camps, as it would be in the scenarios we are talking about.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 13:09   #200
Nickotym
BillofNeeds?NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
No...stealing is stealing, whether there's a cop on the corner or not.

I would take food off anyone that attempted to harm my family or me. I'd take everything of any value off them - shoes, socks, guns, knives, ammo, food, water, etc.

Jdavionic sums up my feelings really well. Just because the world goes to crap does not mean my morals should and I could not live with myself if I stole from good people. If someone chooses to try to harm me or mine, they are fair game. Just like a criminal trying to rob me. I would not take all their goods on a first offense, but leave them just enough to make it for 1-2 days.

If the same lowlifes come back after me, it's game on!!
August 12, 1974
Nickotym is offline   Reply With Quote