Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-06-2012, 19:56   #1
Shinesintx

I thought I hated my Kahrs...

I thought I hated my Kahrs...until I got the chance to shoot one of them today.

Several months ago, I gave up on waiting for my Kimber Solo to arrive. I pretty much said screw it, and put the money I had paid towards the Solo on a Kahr CW9 and CW40.

It was not the smartest thing I have ever done, but I bought them both with out even racking them or dry firing them. Just bought them and took them home. The 40 was tight, but the 9's slide was so tight it would not even go far back enough to rack a round. I was ticked off to say the least.

Posted my complaints about Kahrs here at GT. Several GTers said to check out the sticky over at the Kahr forum. Long story short, the Kahr sticky said to rack the guns about 500 times and lube the heck out of them before shooting.

I racked them each well over 500 times. Had to use a leather glove because I am in sales...and have dainty hands.

Today, several months later, I actually got to shoot the CW9. Put about a 100 rounds of Wally World ball ammo thru it...wow. I was very pleased. Very accurate at 30ft. Even though I am used to Glock triggers, I was very happy with the Kahr trigger.

The CW Kahrs will certainly not replace my Sigs, Glocks, or Kimbers, but I will start flying with it. I travel a bit, and worry about my more expensive handguns getting stolen.

I like'em for what they are...an inexpensive weapon that I will not baby like my Sigs. Who knows, once I get around to putting a few hundred rounds through the CW40...I may retire my P238 as my EDC.
Old 03-06-2012, 20:10   #2
G26S239
NRA Patron

I like my Kahr K9 but I REALLY like my MK9!
Old 03-06-2012, 20:15   #3
Shinesintx

Quote:
Originally Posted by G26S239 View Post
I like my Kahr K9 but I REALLY like my MK9!
Would you care to expand? Please?
Old 03-06-2012, 20:52   #4
CMG

The LGS had two of the Solos on Monday.

After playing with them, if you have a Kahr, you ain't missin' a thing.

IMO, of course.
Old 03-06-2012, 21:07   #5
glock20fanboy

Everybody I've seen on the internet that has a Solo either hates it, has sent it in for repair, or both. Doesn't seem like much of a pistol. I have a CW45 I wouldn't trade for a bushel of Solos.
glock20fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 21:14   #6
hogship
It's MY Island

......and I have an MK40 that I'll never sell.....it's in my will for one of my sons.

I've had a K40 and currently have the MK40......neither one have ever had a hic-up.

ooc

General Firearms Forum
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 21:32   #7
G26S239
NRA Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinesintx View Post
Would you care to expand? Please?
Due to the slightly flatter grip an texture it feels better in my hand and is also a lot smaller than my G26. I have also had it almost 5 years longer than the K9 but the K9 is a very nice gun as well.
Old 03-06-2012, 21:42   #8
bac1023

I have a T9 that I love.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 21:54   #9
sop

The trigger pull and feel on my CW9 improved significantly during the break-in period; it's become lighter and much smoother. No malfunctions of any kind. For the money, the CW Kahrs are outstanding guns.
sop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 22:07   #10
Shinesintx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sop View Post
The trigger pull and feel on my CW9 improved significantly during the break-in period; it's become lighter and much smoother. No malfunctions of any kind. For the money, the CW Kahrs are outstanding guns.
Yep, thats what I am finding out. The tightness when ya first buy it is a bit weird.

Did any of yall shoot them out of the box...with no issues?
Old 03-06-2012, 22:37   #11
jaxxx

I'll never buy another kahr again! Quality was very poor
jaxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 23:04   #12
Gdirty5

I just bought my first one this weekend, it is a cm9 and hope I can shoot it tomorrow,
Old 03-07-2012, 06:59   #13
Goldstar225
NRA member

I had a CW40 that was an unreliable POS. Really a shame because I liked all of it's positives. I now have a reliable K40 that I'm completely satisfied with.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:10   #14
IrvJr

I love my Kahr K9. It's accurate and reliable. It's a nice carry gun.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:30   #15
grady3003

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxxx View Post
I'll never buy another kahr again! Quality was very poor
+1 on this Racking the slide 500 times,a 200 shot reliabilty,and a 5 year warranty is not good quality to me.i had a pm 40 with issues out of the box.finally went to a pawn shop in town that was wanting to trade for a sprinfield xd.45.life is sweet now!
grady3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:04   #16
Bob Hafler

I bought my PM9 in 09 it has been perfect from day one. It's been my #1 EDC peace practically since the day I bought it. The newer ones and the CM9 I can't speak for but the older PM9's I'm a big fan of.
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 13:09   #17
BrewerGeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by grady3003 View Post
+1 on this Racking the slide 500 times,a 200 shot reliabilty,and a 5 year warranty is not good quality to me....
I think expecting any of these tiny pistols to be totally reliable before a reasonable break-in period is short sighted. The tolerances are too tight on the little things, and the springs are too strong for them to be perfect right out of the box.

It is wonderful that Glocks will do that, but you also must also notice that they don't make tiny single-stacks, either. I can't believe that a company as big as Glock didn't even try to design one. I instead suspect that they couldn't get that legendary "Glock Perfection" from that format, either and decided not to market that size because of it.

There is something of a difference in expectation around the whole subject, too. Glock guys expect instant perfection and won't put up with things like break-in periods - even if a Kahr will run perfectly afterward. Because of that, it seems to me that a lot of Glock guys tend to dislike Kahrs. Taurus guys, OTOH, used to putting up with (very) occasional random malfunctions will talk about how excellent the Kahr's are - for the exact same pistols.

Bottom line, to me, is that Kahrs are excellent pistols. They just take a bit more work starting out to realize that excellence than Glocks do.
BrewerGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 14:22   #18
Shinesintx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewerGeorge View Post
I think expecting any of these tiny pistols to be totally reliable before a reasonable break-in period is short sighted. The tolerances are too tight on the little things, and the springs are too strong for them to be perfect right out of the box.

It is wonderful that Glocks will do that, but you also must also notice that they don't make tiny single-stacks, either. I can't believe that a company as big as Glock didn't even try to design one. I instead suspect that they couldn't get that legendary "Glock Perfection" from that format, either and decided not to market that size because of it.

There is something of a difference in expectation around the whole subject, too. Glock guys expect instant perfection and won't put up with things like break-in periods - even if a Kahr will run perfectly afterward. Because of that, it seems to me that a lot of Glock guys tend to dislike Kahrs. Taurus guys, OTOH, used to putting up with (very) occasional random malfunctions will talk about how excellent the Kahr's are - for the exact same pistols.

Bottom line, to me, is that Kahrs are excellent pistols. They just take a bit more work starting out to realize that excellence than Glocks do.
Very well stated...very well.
Old 03-07-2012, 14:35   #19
CharlestonG26

I recently acquired a MK40 and love the way it shoots. As frequently posted..."a great trigger".

Does anyone know if the MK40 will fit in a MK9 Kydex holster?

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." Mahatma Gandhi
CharlestonG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 15:13   #20
4 glocks

I bought a CM9 just a few weeks ago. 300 rounds it's been 100%. I am very impressed with it. It's one tight SOB that's for sure racking the silde is harder than any gun I have ever shot. Maybe after 500 to 1,000 rds. it will ease up some I hope. The size is just between a LCP and a G26.