SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-18-2012, 23:15   #21
Sonnytoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBrown View Post
The reason clip-draws are not a preferred option is that the trigger is exposed and bunched up clothes things in your pocket etc. are more likely to hung up in the trigger well as opposed to a IWB where the holster covers the trigger..I applaud you for asking the question before making the decision hopes this helps..
Nice, reasoned response. I agree. I bought one; have had it in a box for five yrs; never tried it; never will.
Sonny
Sonnytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 23:36   #22
Taphius

I use a clip draw and a vanguard daily
Taphius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:17   #23
johntom

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, You said...

[QUOTE=UrbanCowboy;18599893]wiener QUOTE]

P.S. Epic Fail on my part for screwing up the quote

Last edited by johntom; 02-19-2012 at 04:18..
johntom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:56   #24
Ryobi
SummertimeRules

Well said clipdraw is inadequate, mic is a gimmick best suited for a nightstand, not carry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBrown View Post
The reason clip-draws are not a preferred option is that the trigger is exposed and bunched up clothes things in your pocket etc. are more likely to hung up in the trigger well as opposed to a IWB where the holster covers the trigger..I applaud you for asking the question before making the decision hopes this helps..
Ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:38   #25
hsprincipal

I always cover my **** and my trigger. Get a good holster. Be safe.
G23, G21, G22, G26, G17, G27, G20, G19, G34, G30s, G17L, S&W 1911sc, Ruger SR1911, S&W New .38 Bodyguard, Neos, Nano, PPQ .40, Sig 2022 9mm, Victory model .38 S&W, Colt LE6920, PPS, M9, 870, S&W 637, CW9, RO 9mm, 590a1, CM9, VP9, USP 9
hsprincipal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:02   #26
Pierre!
NRA Life Member

Clipdraw is a nice solution... but if you like the Clipdraw, check out the Vanguard 2 - It's Da Bomb!

Here is the thread on the Vanguard 2

Covers the trigger, and it's a 'minimalist' holster. It will handle all of the 9mm, .40, and .357 line... possibly the .45 line as well since it grabs the trigger guard.

Price? should be *VERY* reasonable considering the number of pistols you can use it with.

Hope that helps...
Patrick

Last edited by Pierre!; 02-19-2012 at 10:16.. Reason: Add link to Vanguard GT thread
Pierre! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:26   #27
Dave Nowlin
Fisher of Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
It's a horrid concept. Cripdraw and trigger guard placebos such as mic and saf-t-block are just really poor alternatives to holsters. More crack dealer level stuff than anything.

I don't know you but you seem a bit opionated. I have MICs for both my Glocks and I suspect I've been carrying a pistol far longer than you.
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:04   #28
wyattearp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnytoo View Post
Nice, reasoned response. I agree. I bought one; have had it in a box for five yrs; never tried it; never will.
Sonny
Want to sell me your clipdraw? I am apparentlyone of the minority that finds them useful.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:32   #29
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

That's very revealing. I wish you the best of luck with your choices, Dave Nowlin, Fisher of Men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Nowlin View Post
I don't know you but you seem a bit opionated. I have MICs for both my Glocks and I suspect I've been carrying a pistol far longer than you.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:49   #30
hikerpaddler

Send a message via AIM to hikerpaddler
I've carried all my guns in paper sacks for 75 years. So that means paper sack carry makes sense............. Right-o.
Old 02-19-2012, 13:45   #31
Dave Nowlin
Fisher of Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
That's very revealing. I wish you the best of luck with your choices, Dave Nowlin, Fisher of Men.

I don't believe I'm the one who chose to insult other people's choices for weapon carry. I'm neither a crack dealer, user of drugs or alcohol. Before you insult the MIC, try buying one and using it. I carried a 1911 Mexican Carry for years with no problem. Now I can carry that way with the triggerguard covered until the weapon is outside of my pants and the muzzle is pointed forward away from me. How many IWB or OWB holsters continue to cover the triggerguard after you have drawn your weapon until it is moving forward away from you toward the target. Another point I might make is concealed carry is an asset to you only as long as you are able to successfully conceal. If you are in a convenience store and someone enters the store to rob it, the first person he will confront is you if he sees you are armed. The MIC is the most concealable holster you can put a Glock in. Another thing is, I tied the cord from my MIC to a 10# dumbell and then after insuring my G27 wasn't loaded, I snapped the MIC onto the triggerguard and lifted the dumbell off my garage floor. I tried it again with a 15# dumbell and the MIC pulled free. If that isn't retention, what is?

Last edited by Dave Nowlin; 02-19-2012 at 13:47..
Old 02-19-2012, 14:07   #32
dooku77

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerpaddler View Post
I've carried all my guns in paper sacks for 75 years. So that means paper sack carry makes sense............. Right-o.
LOLOLOLOLOL. That's it! Pure brilliance. A revolver in a paper sack. That is hilarious.
dooku77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 14:12   #33
dooku77

Quote:
I don't believe I'm the one who chose to insult other people's choices for weapon carry. I'm neither a crack dealer, user of drugs or alcohol. Before you insult the MIC, try buying one and using it. I carried a 1911 Mexican Carry for years with no problem. Now I can carry that way with the triggerguard covered until the weapon is outside of my pants and the muzzle is pointed forward away from me. How many IWB or OWB holsters continue to cover the triggerguard after you have drawn your weapon until it is moving forward away from you toward the target. Another point I might make is concealed carry is an asset to you only as long as you are able to successfully conceal. If you are in a convenience store and someone enters the store to rob it, the first person he will confront is you if he sees you are armed. The MIC is the most concealable holster you can put a Glock in. Another thing is, I tied the cord from my MIC to a 10# dumbell and then after insuring my G27 wasn't loaded, I snapped the MIC onto the triggerguard and lifted the dumbell off my garage floor. I tried it again with a 15# dumbell and the MIC pulled free. If that isn't retention, what is?
I think the mic is a fantastic carry option. The g30 being a little bit thicker doesn't help. I've already tried leather and cloth holsters this past week and even with one size bigger pants and a jacket, I can still see something the size of a pistol and I usually carry at about 4 o'clock. Unfortunately appendix carry isn't an option for me but might be with the mic. This is an interesting carry option and I'm going to order one.
Old 02-19-2012, 14:21   #34
G36Bell
G36, G17

Quote:
+1.....this MIC is kinda like the Glock pistol itself, different and very changed from a traditional pistol. Its what I love about em. Here is a minimal holster that fits that design also. If you don't have one or have not even tried it, why are you even commenting on it? For those of you looking for an alternative way of carry, go for it 20 buck ain't gonna break the bank. I CCW @C1 all day every day( with a razor edge MIC). Both nutz still in tact. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO GET TO THE TRIGGER WITH A MIC IN PLACE.
G36Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 14:25   #35
Dave Nowlin
Fisher of Men

actually I don't carry "appendix carry" with the MIC. I carry with the gun in somewhat of an F.B.I.cant inside my waistband at about 3 o'clock or barely past. I find this to be a comfortable carry setup for all day. I use the MIC with my G30SF and my G27. Each gun has it's own MIC. let's face it what other holster is as cheap as a MIC and offers any where near the safety factor. To successfully shoot yourself while drawing from a MIC, you would really have to work at it. In fact if you did shoot yourself, I suspect it would be on purpose. To twist Erkel's words, "why would anyone want to do that"?
Old 02-19-2012, 14:38   #36
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

I own one. It came with a 4 holster lot I purchased a while back. I wouldn't use it for carry unless there simply weren't any proper holsters available. As someone else noted, it's not a bad idea for a nightstand, if you don't have a single solitary holster to put it in. I agree that it's an improvement on mexican carry, but I wouldn't personally choose to eschew a proper holster when there are so many reasonably priced ones available. The glock sport comes to mind. For those that are attracted to this sort of thing (MIC, clipdraw, saf-t-block, etc.), as long as you aren't hurting anyone else, why shouldn't you be able to buy and use what you like? What might not be adequate for some might wildly exceed the expectations of others. Good luck whatever you choose.
Old 02-19-2012, 15:03   #37
Veedubklown

I carried with the clip-draw for over a year.

Pros
  • Thinnest possible.
  • Cheap.
  • Resonably well made.
  • Versatile. I've clipped it to the map pocket of my driver's door, because getting to a left handed holster while driving is, difficult. Also clipped it to the under-side of seats.
  • Keep the safety between your ears on while carrying, and you wont put a hole in yourself.
Believe it or not, your trigger does get covered. By your belt. As I said, over a year, no hole. If your not sure if you will shoot yourself, carry C3. Check your trigger at the end of the day. Still cocked? Grats, if you were carrying a loaded gun, it still would be a loaded gun.

Cons
  • Not secure. If you do any kind of real physical activity (need to jog somewhere, for example) cover it. It will bounce.
  • Bad retention. I've slipped it out, sitting down on a couch. I knew immediately it slipped out, but could be bad in public.
  • Eventually, it will break. It's a consumable item. It bends, then you bend it back. Then this cycle repeats, until one day, it doesn't bend, it breaks. Have a spare, or shop for a real holster.
  • Your gun won't fit any holsters. I had to clearance my Blackhawk cerpa holster, to fit my clip-draw.
  • People on GT hate it. That doesn't matter. They hate everything that's not a glock. Unless it's a glock. They hate those too.
  • It covers the slide serations, so it can be kinda slick, and hard to get a grip on, to charge your pistol with. Especially bad if your carrying condition 3, and/or sweaty. I put a piece of talon grip on mine, worked great.
  • If your stupid with loaded weapons, you might put a hole in yourself. I don't think the clip-draw will solve natural selection. If you were going to put a hole in yourself with a firearm, chances are your own negligence will allow it to happen sooner, or later. It's not the clip-draw's fault.

I eventually made and switched to a super-tuck type hybrid holster, and am 100% satisfied. I made my holster, for about what I paid for the clip-draw. What ever you choose, be safe, and carry.

Carry Issues
Old 02-19-2012, 15:22   #38
dooku77

Quote:
actually I don't carry "appendix carry" with the MIC. I carry with the gun in somewhat of an F.B.I.cant inside my waistband at about 3 o'clock or barely past. I find this to be a comfortable carry setup for all day. I use the MIC with my G30SF and my G27. Each gun has it's own MIC. let's face it what other holster is as cheap as a MIC and offers any where near the safety factor. To successfully shoot yourself while drawing from a MIC, you would really have to work at it. In fact if you did shoot yourself, I suspect it would be on purpose. To twist Erkel's words, "why would anyone want to do that"?
I just ordered my mic just now. I was debating over the regular or the razor. I chose the regular. Only a 10% retention difference and a dollar cheaper. If they are good enough for deep cover law enforcement agents, they are good enough for me. It's right up ally with how concealable it is.
Old 02-19-2012, 15:26   #39
Kchur00

Gave thought to a clip-draw, but didn't feel all that comfortable with an exposed trigger down my pants, so went with a holster. Accidents can happen. I still think it's an interesting concept, though, just not for me.

Gen 3 G27, Stevens model 15-A, Remington 700 30-06
Kchur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 15:35   #40
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooku77 View Post
I just ordered my mic just now. I was debating over the regular or the razor. I chose the regular. Only a 10% retention difference and a dollar cheaper. If they are good enough for deep cover law enforcement agents, they are good enough for me. It's right up ally with how concealable it is.
What deep cover Leo's use them? I find it hard to believe any Leo would consider using one, let alone someone UC

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine