SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-17-2012, 17:04   #1
Chris Brines

Newbie with Question about Glock 23 issue

Hello Everyone,

I am brand new to this forum, fairly new to Glocks and fairly new to shooting. I am learning alot and enjoy it more and more every day.

To cut to the chase, I have a Glock 23 that I think is an amazing and extremely impressive gun. In my opinion, it is the perfect gun (for me).

There is just one thing I can not get out of my mind and that is the stories I've read numerous times about them "kabooming" when shooting reloads.

I am no expert, I am new to shooting and know very little about reloading. I have been explained the process several times, but never actually seen it done. I have also been explained several times the reasons these Glock .40SW barrels are subject to kaboom when shooting reloads. I can't honestly say I fully understand it but I know it has something to do with the amount of pressure released when the bullet detonates.

I have read something about the barrel being "unsupported", not sure exactly what that means either.

What I do know is that I love this gun and do not want to trade it or sell it to get another brand of .40SW, but at the same time, safety comes first and although I don't reload now, I plan to start in the future. I want to be able to reload ammo for all of my guns without worrying that my safety or that of my family/friends may be compromised.

I have been reassured that this is very rare and that I really have nothing to worry about. I still don't feel all that comfortable with the frequency of these occurences, and that if I dig through shooting forums, I can find dozens of stories like this.

I would really like to switch my barrel out, and I am asking if anyone knows of any after market barrels for the Glock 23 Gen 3 that would decrease this risk.

I posted something about this in another forum, but wasn't sure it was the right one, plus I'd like as many suggestions as possible.
Chris Brines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 20:56   #2
cciman

Cart before the horse? Start buying reloading equipment, supplies, and really load first, then buy a barrel. You may never get to that point, in which case you are wasting your time and money now.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:33   #3
Chris Brines

Thanks. Great Advice. But just for my own personal knowledge, does anyone know of a SPECIFIC after market barrel that would effectively address this issue?
Old 02-19-2012, 05:59   #4
cciman

I think the biggest factor is the improper loading of the ammo, not the gun per se.

If you use an aftermrket barrel with less case protrusion, this will will minimize the risk. But if you improperly load, KB's still occur.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:23   #5
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

Bad ammo, either factory or reloads, will make any firearm go ka-boom.
I have reloaded for a G20 and G22 and after thousands of rounds never had a problem.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:00   #6
Glockrunner
HOOYA DEEPSEA

Send a message via Yahoo to Glockrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWARREN123 View Post
Bad ammo, either factory or reloads, will make any firearm go ka-boom.
I have reloaded for a G20 and G22 and after thousands of rounds never had a problem.
^^^ ^^^ ^^^
He's Right!
Just enjoy the gun as it is.
You're new so stick to factory loaded ammo like Wally World white box or Blazer -CCI stuff.

I've shot 100s of thouands of this stuff with a KB.

Enjoy the new gun!

Last edited by Glockrunner; 02-19-2012 at 08:02..
Glockrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:55   #7
Chris Brines

Thanks. I just am very new to this and when I first read this story it seemed that the people writing it were specifically blaming .40SW Glocks (all models).....kinda unsettling when you just don't know..

I have heard so many different takes on this issue, but I am just going to use my own judgement here, and according to the pictures in this link below, you guys are right; an overcharged or squib load will be dangerous no matter what gun you shoot it with, even with the after market barrels (many posts I've read have specifically noted a flaw in Glock barrels, now I am convinced it was just "Anti-Glockers" trying to give them a bad name).

Here are some pictures with many different guns after kabooming, of all manufacturers and types:
http://imgur.com/a/olil7#63

I will take your advice and stick to factory ammo, but when I do decide to start reloading I will make certain that I am taught by someone who knows what they are doing.
Old 02-22-2012, 15:47   #8
FLSlim

If I thought there was a risk related to the quality of the Glock 23, I wouldn't own one. But I do and most of what gets shot through it is reloaded ammo. As to your barrel question there are several makers of replacement barrels for Glocks, I think the least expensive is the Lone Wolf at somewhere around $100. I really don't know if any of the replacements give appreciably more case support than recently built Glock barrels, but if it would make you feel safer, buy one and use it.
Florida Glockers Club #1040
Big Dogs Club #1592

Last edited by FLSlim; 02-22-2012 at 15:48..
FLSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 15:57   #9
chaplain 31

I've shoot thousands of reloads through my Glock 23c with both the stock ported barrel and a stock non ported barrel with no problems of any kind. My reloads are probably or at least IMO safer than factory. Don't let the internet rummer mill cause you stress.
chaplain 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 17:34   #10
William Springer

Save your money on a differant barrel unless you want to reload and shoot cast lead bullets then you will need a barrel with lands and groves which glocks dont have. spend your money on a reloading manual instead, then you will see if you want to dive into a new hobby,and you will have a much better understanding of what to watch out for in your or somebody elses reloads. as far as unsuported chambers no semi automatics have fully supported chambers some just have more than others