Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:46   #1
TJarv

Which triggers do yall prefer?

I went out and shot the new AR on Sunday and wasn't pleased with the trigger pull. After getting home I checked it and found I have an 8 lb trigger pull.

After a little research I'm leaning towards a Timney drop in, but I'm up for any other suggestions.

Sent from my pay phone.
TJarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:53   #2
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Ranked in order. I have them all:

Wilson Combat TTU drop-in (Not adjustable. Defines 4 lb. 'glass break. Most expensive of the group, but an AWESOME trigger.)

Alexander Arms Tactical Trigger (Very thin trigger. Great for gloves. Adjustable for take-up and over-travel. Very fast when adjusted properly. I have two of these. I really like them.)

Geissele SSA (Not adjustable. Crisp, but not as crisp as the other two.)

I have a Geissele S3G that I haven't installed yet. Reviews are very positive. Supposed to have the best 'reset' of any single-stage trigger on the market.

The Wilson Combat trigger has been torture tested by others, and has held up well - something that is often a criticism of drop-in triggers.

Geissele makes triggers that are equal to the OEM triggers in terms of reliability, which is a big selling point.

The Alexander Arms trigger is an excellent trigger, but the adjustability scares some folks. (And rightly so if you need the most reliability. If most of what you do is range work, the AA trigger is a great 'lower' cost alternative.
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks

Last edited by eracer; 02-15-2012 at 09:04..
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:26   #3
TJarv

Eracer does the purpose of the gun change which trigger you would use?

For example I've built my rifle for more of a target gun. Would you use a different trigger for a longer range rifle than you would a hd rifle?

Sent from my pay phone.
TJarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:36   #4
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

I have a tried many of the ones mentioned above but for my needs own a Geissele SD-C and SSA.

Last edited by Boxerglocker; 02-15-2012 at 10:06..
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:04   #5
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJarv View Post
Eracer does the purpose of the gun change which trigger you would use?

For example I've built my rifle for more of a target gun. Would you use a different trigger for a longer range rifle than you would a hd rifle?

Sent from my pay phone.
For a target rifle your best bet is a two-stage trigger. The purpose of a two-stage trigger is to meet restrictions of trigger 'pull weight' in matches. A single-stage trigger has one 'pull weight' and while single-stage triggers can be set to a very low weight, they are then useless for anything else.

A two-stage trigger will have a certain pull weight in the first stage, then a lower pull weight in the second stage. The 'pull weight' is measured as the sum of the two stages, so you get the benefit of a very light second (final) stage pull, while also having the benefit of a total pull weight in the 'safety' zone.

Guns that are used STRICTLY for long-range precision shooting often have single-stage triggers with pull weight measured under 1 lb. This is not a gun you want for HD, obviously. It's hard to make a single-stage trigger in the 4 lb. range that breaks really cleanly. The Wilson trigger does. And the Alexander Arms does as well (although its pull weight is a little higher.)

The Geissele Hi-Speed National Match trigger is an awesome two-stage adjustable trigger that a lot of target competitions have been won with.

Hope that all makes sense.

The Geissele SSA seems to be the de facto standard 'best' trigger for something 'in between' a pure target and OEM trigger. They have the SSA-E (Enhanced) version that looks good.

Bottom line - if I was looking for a good trigger for 70% target shooting I'd pony up for either the Geissele Hi-Speed National Match, or the Wilson Combat TTU (2-stage.)
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
Old 02-15-2012, 11:09   #6
mgs
Always Carrying

(3) Rock River two stages have worked well for me, Mike.
mgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:16   #7
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs View Post
(3) Rock River two stages have worked well for me, Mike.
RRA triggers suffer from the same internet anecdotal bashing that Kahr pistols do (I love my Kahr PM-45.)

Last edited by eracer; 02-15-2012 at 11:37..
Old 02-15-2012, 11:36   #8
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog

Actually anecdotal is what you make of it.

I've seen an RRA trigger turn into a full auto. And I've personally had a Kahr go unreliable on me.

Geissele is the only aftermarket trigger i'll put on a rifle intended for any serious purposes in the AR world.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:43   #9
bullittmcqueen
Gunfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post

I've seen an RRA trigger turn into a full auto. And I've personally had a Kahr go unreliable on me.

Geissele is the only aftermarket trigger i'll put on a rifle intended for any serious purposes in the AR world.
Agreed 100%.
bullittmcqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:48   #10
pag23

I am debating on getting the Geissele SSA.... There have been numerous posts on the reliability and quality of their products.. They are also about 45 mins away from me..
Old 02-15-2012, 11:50   #11
KARTMAN90

No problems with my RRA two stage trigger. I love it. That thing is sweet but that's just what I think

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
KARTMAN90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 13:01   #12
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pag23 View Post
I am debating on getting the Geissele SSA.... There have been numerous posts on the reliability and quality of their products.. They are also about 45 mins away from me..
Honestly, once you try on on your own rifle... the $200 will seem like chump change. Geissele triggers are well worth the cost.
Old 02-15-2012, 13:35   #13
jrs93accord

I have one AR15 (Mk12 Mod 0) that I use a LMT 2-stage trigger in. The rest of my ARs use the standard triggers. I have never had an issue with any of them. They are combat-type rifles and the triggers are just fine for that usage. However, there are some that need that dainty light trigger pull on their HD AR15. When I was in the service, I was handed a M16A1 and was told to qualify with it. We shot targets out to 500 yards with what the rifle came with from the factory. They worked very well for us. We did not need 2-stage or Match triggers. Unless you are shooting a Sniper System, you really do not need any fancy lightweight triggers. In the same token, to each his own.

A bad day shooting beats a great day working!

Last edited by jrs93accord; 02-15-2012 at 13:36..
jrs93accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 14:40   #14
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post

The only argument I'd make is that the Wilson Combat TTU is just as reliable as a Geissele (according to the tester who put 70,000 rounds through one.)Trust me, I'm a Geissele fan (I have three of them.) But not everyone needs a combat-ready trigger. The AR-15 works just fine as a paper-puncher. And I would count on the Wilson for my SHTF gun.

Last edited by eracer; 02-15-2012 at 14:42..
Old 02-15-2012, 15:24   #15
Disregarded9-side
Armchair IPSCer

The Geissele 2-stage DMR trigger I installed was the perfect AR trigger.

And cost half a much as a gun.
Disregarded9-side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 15:42   #16
tinman517

For the past 2 years, all I use now are Geissele trigger groups on my ARs. I am sure that the others work just as well.
Old 02-15-2012, 19:20   #17
chrisf608

RRA two stage. Mine has been perfect.
Old 02-15-2012, 21:07   #18
skeeter1959

Timney 3lb. $209 installed.
skeeter1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 21:44   #19
jem375
NRA Life Member

For me, it is the McCormick and on the way....
Old 02-15-2012, 22:56   #20
surf

For myself, I own several really nice triggers including a Geissele SSA, SDC and a S3G. In reality I run a USGI trigger just as well for much much less in cost. Seems like in this push button, instant gratification day in age most are looking at the hardware for the solution to a problem, as opposed to focusing on the software.

That should ruffle a few feathers.
surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 23:15   #21
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
ive had two factory stag triggers and a DPMS standard lpk trigger. all reminded me of exactly what i shot in the military and were ok for their purposes.

a buddy of mine is doing a DMR build and installed a Giselle SSA-E and its freaking awesome. its as good as the trigger on my R700 and set right about 3-4lbs or so based on comparison to my glock with a 3.5 ghost rocket installed.

im really debating a SSA for my Recce type build.

Last edited by M1A Shooter; 02-15-2012 at 23:16..
M1A Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 23:32   #22
Cole125
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJarv View Post
I went out and shot the new AR on Sunday and wasn't pleased with the trigger pull. After getting home I checked it and found I have an 8 lb trigger pull.

After a little research I'm leaning towards a Timney drop in, but I'm up for any other suggestions.

Sent from my pay phone.
I have a Timney trigger in my AR, and it is very nice. Quality piece, trigger pull is a hair under 3 lbs, well worth the money. if you have anymore questions about the Timney trigger for ARs feel free to ask.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:16   #23
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog

The Geissele's the only aftermarket trigger Special Forces authorizes.

Wilson may know something about 1911s, but they don't do squat with ARs that impresses me.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:07   #24
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
For myself, I own several really nice triggers including a Geissele SSA, SDC and a S3G. In reality I run a USGI trigger just as well for much much less in cost. Seems like in this push button, instant gratification day in age most are looking at the hardware for the solution to a problem, as opposed to focusing on the software.

No ruffles, but I see it this way:

Why should I go around the track in a car set up with understeer and squealing tires, when for a little bit of money I can get better handling and get round just as reliably?

For me it's simple. Crunchy, creepy triggers are an annoyance - and they are less conducive to skillful shooting. I'm sure Michael Schumacher could drive my truck around a track faster than I could drive an Acura TL. I'm not Michael Schumacher.

Last edited by eracer; 02-16-2012 at 06:30..
Old 02-16-2012, 06:27   #25
pag23

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post

sooo true.. but I would upgrade on a better product in terms of reliability and function