Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-15-2012, 20:33   #61
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts

In many parts of Arizona we've evolved it to the point where the cops will simply ask the caller over the phone:

"Is he doing anything criminal, or is he just standing there acting normal?"

And if the answer is that the gun-toter is just sitting there eating lunch with his kids, the cops will then explain to the caller that it's perfectly legal and that if the guy goes postal, to call back then - otherwise, calm down and don't call us over nothing.

I think it's been working for us.
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 20:38   #62
G30Mike
Say When!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikerret View Post
There are pros and cons to both methods of carry as much as there are pros and cons to different methods of concealed carry.
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lee View Post
In many parts of Arizona we've evolved it to the point where the cops will simply ask the caller over the phone:

And if the answer is that the gun-toter is just sitting there eating lunch with his kids, the cops will then explain to the caller that it's perfectly legal and that if the guy goes postal, to call back then - otherwise, calm down and don't call us over nothing.

Would be so nice if this were the case everywhere. Makes me want to sell my house and move on down.
G30Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 20:51   #63
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyMaker View Post
Russ i meant the video that was presented,Geez you all want to find **** to point out about everything besides what the topic was,I have come to the conclusion you are some different folks with high strung attitudes,So long Have a good time pretending to be what you cant be.
Are you implying that those posting here as police officers aren't really police officers? Please tell me that's NOT what you're saying, because that would have to rank up there with one of the stupidest comments I've EVER seen.

And for the record, I am not, and never have claimed to be, a cop. I have nothing but the utmost respect for them and what they do, which doesn't APPEAR to be the case with you. I hope I'm wrong, but you're making my case pretty convincingly.
Old 02-15-2012, 20:52   #64
Vigilant

Quote:
Thats my point i started but it seems others just wanna post TROLL about the subject,How many of them fat little show boats you think have a clue as to how to use weapon retention to save there life or to keep someone from taken there weapon?
This has to be one of the most brilliant posts I have seen in all of Glocktalk. I'm impressed. Truly.

Merle, is that you, buddy?
Old 02-15-2012, 21:07   #65
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lee View Post

Unfortunately in other parts of the country, if the reporting party wants a Deputy to go check it out, then one is sent. When I get sent somewhere, and talk to someone a report is written.

At least I work in Ohio where I can detain an attention whore until he/she is identified (and checked for warrants). Maybe that is why it is not as popular here.

Quote:
Russ i meant the video that was presented,Geez you all want to find **** to point out about everything besides what the topic was,I have come to the conclusion you are some different folks with high strung attitudes,So long Have a good time pretending to be what you cant be.
As typical with these threads, the OP doesn't like how it has progressed and ruffles his feathers.

Last edited by razdog76; 02-15-2012 at 21:19..
razdog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 21:38   #66
RussP

Quote:
Absent you referencing/quoting a post, it is very difficult knowing what you're responding to.

You've said several times you are leaving the discussion. Are you serious this time?

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 22:11   #67
AZLawDawg
Oh, Oh, Oh!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by razdog76 View Post
Unfortunately in other parts of the country, if the reporting party wants a Deputy to go check it out, then one is sent. When I get sent somewhere, and talk to someone a report is written.
This happens in AZ as well.
Old 02-15-2012, 22:43   #68
GumbyDammit
Xtra CoCheese

Quote:
Why do the police make a man who is sitting at a table having dinner with his family get up and go outside to check him out?If it is legal to open carry then why do you go in and then bother this man ?
Why do you jump to the conclusion that I would even respond to that call? If it's legal to OC and the patron is legally OCing in an OC legal place I would make a call back to the complainant and tell them to get their panties out of a twist and have a nice day. Now stop bothering me with contrived scenarios and let me finish having dinner with my family.
The other night there was a loud argument in the hall outside my apartment while I was trying to sleep. I went out and told them they better leave or I was gonna use some Kung-Fu... THAT scared them off...

Plus I was totally nekkid and holding a gun.
GumbyDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 22:58   #69
tim12232
Pistolero

Unlocked yet? ok good!

If I have understood all this back and forth nonsense-ry, it seems the OP just wanted to know what LEO think and do when a OC'er is reported in an OC legal state? Do they talk to OC'er first? Do they detain OC'er first? Do they talk to the person that reported and called first?

I live in Charlotte, NC and NC is an OC state, I have done it a few times, but like most I am just not comfortable with all the stares. I also dont want to have to waste my time and the time of LEO's as Charlotte has enough crime as it is. But I myself would like to know, if I were called in on for OC and you showed up and saw that I am well dressed, semi to clean shaven "depends on time of year lol" and overall just minding my own business, how would you approach the subject "OC"?

Are LEO more upset if someones starts the whole am I being detained thing? Or are you ok with intelligent people asking about their rights and your duty performance?

Just honest ?'s that I think are inline with what the OP wanted.

Thanks,

Tim
tim12232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 23:33   #70
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim12232 View Post
Unlocked yet? ok good!

If I have understood all this back and forth nonsense-ry, it seems the OP just wanted to know what LEO think and do when a OC'er is reported in an OC legal state? Do they talk to OC'er first? Do they detain OC'er first? Do they talk to the person that reported and called first?

I live in Charlotte, NC and NC is an OC state, I have done it a few times, but like most I am just not comfortable with all the stares. I also dont want to have to waste my time and the time of LEO's as Charlotte has enough crime as it is. But I myself would like to know, if I were called in on for OC and you showed up and saw that I am well dressed, semi to clean shaven "depends on time of year lol" and overall just minding my own business, how would you approach the subject "OC"?

Are LEO more upset if someones starts the whole am I being detained thing? Or are you ok with intelligent people asking about their rights and your duty performance?

Just honest ?'s that I think are inline with what the OP wanted.

Thanks,

Tim
The problem with the original post isn't the CONCEPT. Asking what cops do if/when they get the call is one thing, but if you read the post, that's not what he's doing. What he's asking is WHO DO YOU BLAME for harassing the poor, misunderstood OCer. The questions, as their phrased, would fall under the category of a "push poll" in politics: leading the audience to the answer you want them to give.

Take a look again:

Quote:
Do you ticket the person who made the call ? Do you ticket the store manager if he called and his store is not marked no open carry allowed?Why do the police make a man who is sitting at a table having dinner with his family get up and go outside to check him out? If it is legal to open carry then why do you go in and then bother this man ?

See, he sets the starting-point of the questions as it's the store's fault, that it's the cops fault, and that everyone is "bothering" this "poor, helpless victim." That's not in any way, shape, or form an impartial question.
Old 02-15-2012, 23:47   #71
Detectorist

I, for one, have a hard time figuring what Moneymaker really wants. I've been through a bag of pop corn to no avail.

Which part of Missouri do you live, MM?

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:55   #72
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

Quote:
.......Or get some Police Officer having a bad day and wanna beat you to the ground or god forbid draw on you just cause he dont know the law or is having a bad day!
You might be surprised at how few times we actually beat someone to the ground just because we are having a bad day.

Last edited by series1811; 02-16-2012 at 04:57..
series1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:17   #73
xmanhockey7

I think this should come down to the dispatch. Someone calls in a man with a gun (MWAG). The dispatcher should asked "Is this person threatening anyone? Is the gun in a holster? Does the person appear to be at least 18 (or whatever age is required in that state)?" A lot of times the answer is "Well the person is sitting there eating food. The gun is in a holster on his hip and he's minding his own business." At that point the dispatcher should inform the person that open carry is legal and the person is not breaking any laws.
xmanhockey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:20   #74
xmanhockey7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
i personally don't understand the point of OC. There is absolutely 0 advantage over carrying concealed. The only time im going to OC is if im at work wearing a vest. Even when going to LE classes i choose to carry concealed. I'm not a big fan of making myself a target and hanging a gun on your hip legal or not isn't the best idea. It seems to me most people that are in the OC crowd are just wanting attention. Are you allowed to do it? sure. is it a good idea? i don't think so. Heres a very good link to OC issues:
You seem to not understand the view of open carriers. For those who open carry it is not about getting the attention from people it's about deterring someone who would want to pick them as a target. Criminals tend to not mess with people who they know to be armed. Saying someone who open carries only does it for the attention is like saying someone who carries concealed only does it so they can shoot an unsuspecting criminal. Is either statement true? Generally speaking, no.
xmanhockey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:31   #75
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
You seem to not understand the view of open carriers. For those who open carry it is not about getting the attention from people it's about deterring someone who would want to pick them as a target. Criminals tend to not mess with people who they know to be armed. Saying someone who open carries only does it for the attention is like saying someone who carries concealed only does it so they can shoot an unsuspecting criminal. Is either statement true? Generally speaking, no.
Actually, even in your comment, you admit they do it for attention, though it falls into the semantics category.

As you said, some of them do it get the attention of the bad guys that might think twice about messing with them if they can see it. Others do it to get the attention of the media, the "shock factor", but both are actually doing it for SOME sort of attention.

I'm not making a judgment. Just saying that there IS attention-seeking involved. I would never open carry, even if it were legal, but that's my choice.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:27   #76
xmanhockey7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post
Actually, even in your comment, you admit they do it for attention, though it falls into the semantics category.

As you said, some of them do it get the attention of the bad guys that might think twice about messing with them if they can see it. Others do it to get the attention of the media, the "shock factor", but both are actually doing it for SOME sort of attention.

I'm not making a judgment. Just saying that there IS attention-seeking involved. I would never open carry, even if it were legal, but that's my choice.
Exactly it is your choice as it is theirs. But do you carry concealed so a BG wouldn't know you were armed and you could then in turn shoot and kill them? I'm betting MOST concealed carriers don't want to have to shoot anyone. People who OC feel they are far less likely to have to use their gun in SD because the sight of their gun is a deterrent. And I can tell you the overwhelming majority of those who OC do it for that reason and not to be an "attention whore".
Old 02-16-2012, 08:46   #77
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter4215 View Post
. Other times it may cause the criminal to identify you as the first target in an ambush. Overall I'm for it being legal, but very rarely exercise that particular right.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
I don't have a problem with it being legal at all. Personally I would be concerned with making myself a target as listed in your post. The only people I want to know that I have a gun is me and my family. Unfortunately for us any time someone calls 911 we have to go out. Many times it's just to tell the person you aren't doing anything wrong but we got a call. Have to see how people respond if/when we get OC. Do you have to go through classes for OC like Cc?

Old 02-16-2012, 10:20   #78
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detectorist View Post
I, for one, have a hard time figuring what Moneymaker really wants. I've been through a bag of pop corn to no avail.

Which part of Missouri do you live, MM?
That seems to be the problem - figuring out what he wants.

Let's break out MoneyMaker's questions in this thread.
Quote:
Ok seein this is being a big issue with the starbuck crazed group,
  • What is your thoughts and reaction each time you get called on a man with gun call when it is to a place that does allow open carry?

• Do you ticket the person who made the call ?

• Do you ticket the store manager if he called and his store is not marked no open carry allowed?

• Why do the police make a man who is sitting at a table having dinner with his family get up and go outside to check him out?

• If it is legal to open carry then why do you go in and then bother this man ?
There is no simple answer to every question you asked. Each question requires answers to these questions: Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How, to be understood, to be answered.

Here's the example of that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdvet View Post
The person open carrying would be arrested unless they are a LEO or owner of the establishment.
See, a simple answer that omitted the Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How, to which you respond:
Quote:
So you are saying
  • if it is legal to open carry you will arrest the man?

• Are you a police officer and if so what state?

• What county?
G30Mike, who has been trying to help you throughout this thread, had a good response:
Quote:
Originally Posted by G30Mike View Post
Moneymaker...the responses you receive are going to all boil down to if its legal to OC in these certain officers jurisdictions.
Not alot of these guys are from MO.

ETA...And most of them probably aren't going to identify the jurisdiction they work in. :D
trdvet came back expanding his original comment:
Quote:
Open carry is not legal here. Assuming it was I would show up and talk to the complainant and see if anything else was happening besides a gun visible in a holster. If the manager wanted him gone then they can ask him to leave and would be arrested for trespass if he failed to comply.
Now, here is where your hostility begins to show.
Quote:
Yes but i stated if it is legal in the state or municipality,but as you see this officer already misread and jumped to the conclusion of aresting someone.
Quote:
I didn't, it's just that you like asking narrow, leading scenarios and get confrontational when they don't fit whatever view you're trying to get across.

Am I being detained?
And trdvet nailed you on it...and you responded:
Quote:
Sorry but i did state if its LEGAL

and you posted up and stated its not legal and you would arrest them,

then said its not legal in your state,

Well i was not asking about that as i know what happens,

Your not detained so your free to go

as i am looking for response from Officers that have this ongoing issue in Legal States
So you dismiss him...

Before dismissing trdvet you posted:
Quote:
I understand
  • if it is posted no guns allowed,well its there policy,

• But if its legal to OC or CCW and the store is not posted say like Starbucks and then

• police get the call of man or woman with gun,

• they show up and

• the person is legal

• but store manager says yeah its ok by store policy but i want the person out as its disrupting my business,

• Then they can be arrested for not leaving???
G30Mike answered
Quote:
Originally Posted by G30Mike View Post
Yep, if you're asked to leave and you refuse its called tresspassing.
Leave and call corporate if its that big of a deal. Avoid going to jail or having a summons written whenever possible.
Quote:
Well mike now you see why i am not eye to eye about the photo ops and youtube crap over at the other site,

Seems even with OC
  • there will be a no win situation and

• folks will be having issues even if

• it is legal to oc and

• corporate policy to oc in there stores

• as its gonna ba catch 22 issue and

• i think we will all be long gone before a real law states what alot of folks wish it to read.
Prior to that you offered your opinions and comments:
Quote:
This is why i think
  • it should be a national open carry or

• if it is going to be state by state that

• every LE agency has to train and

• have every LE employee sign off on a statement that they have read and understand the law on CCW and OC for Citizens.
Sorry but if
  • i was to OC and

• its legal and

• i gotta deal with being detained everytime i go out,

• Then all i can say is

• i sure dont want the OC law or

• the Headaches of being detained,

• Or get some Police Officer

• having a bad day and

• wanna beat you to the ground or

• god forbid draw on you just cause he dont know the law or

• is having a bad day!
Misconceptions...I've been OCing since November of '02 - never happened to me. Never happened to all but two or three GT members. If you compare the total number of OCers to the number who've had problems, acknowledging that even one is too many, that number would be an extremely small percentage of the OC population.

series1811 added:
Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
You might be surprised at how few times we actually beat someone to the ground just because we are having a bad day.
Okay, back to your questions...
Quote:
  • So does it take away time from your officers that could be doing something more important?

• I mean is there any writing to the law in your state that has been published as to be distributed to Business owners,the general public ect so as not to take away more important response calls you may have ?
Quote:
No you guys are not getting it at all,I am not here to argue,I asked
  • [if] it is legal to open carry and

• you get a call with man with gun,what are you thinking more or less?

• Why are you detaining say a man at gas pump getting gas if OC is Legal ?

Maybe that will make t easier to answer,I am really wondering
  • why all over these forums folks are being detained at locations that are not posted that OC or CCW is not allowed on there property or

• if one is just say getting gas or standing on there own property.
I have a question about this:
Quote:
Sorry but i have no reason to get mad at Police Officers,I waterfowl hunt with several,every year for past 20 years,Please dont make statements like that you cant back up.
What do all your hunting buddies say about open carry?

How do they handle it?

How do they answer your questions?
Quote:
Thanks to whom have replied with a serious answer,

To the others who say i am trolling
  • it seems you dont have a answer or

• may not be a police officer,
Okay, going to stop here to call you out for trolling... You keep alleging that those participating on the Cop Talk Forum are not in law enforcement. You are wrong.
Quote:
I am debating this with guys on a open carry forum as
  • they seem to me that they are just chest thumpers

• wanting there group pics taken all the time at starbucks ect.
I really wish all your posts on OCDO were still there...
Quote:
Myself i see it as a deturant and wont get the OC law passed here in missouri,
Are you saying that open carry group gatherings are...well, what are you saying?
Quote:
Another question i asked them was
  • do they know 3 types of weapon retention,

• Do they train for weapon retention and

• do they fell the need that anyone who Open Carry's should pass a 40 hour course on weapon retention training before just hanging a gun on there side and walking around like John Wayne.
That went over well on OCDO, didn't it?

Quote:
I want to thank you sir for your answer and i respect what you have said.
Good...

Quote:
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1401819 just example

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...rs-Red-Lobster this guy
  • seems to be a attention getter so

• it dont help the issue,

• detain or not

• but your thoughts on how he is acting about OC all around?
Do you want an official answer or a personal opinion?

When asked about your banning from OCDO...
Quote:
Well if i was it is because
  • i dont agree with the missouri guys,

• I am a missouri resident and

• i am for open carry,but

• i think there should be weapon retention training and

• certain holster requirements,

• I dont like that guys wanna parade with video cameras with there 6 inch revolvers hanging off there sides,or

• have meet and greet at a establishment and then line all the gun toters up to take pictures just to say hey look what we did!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
[snip]

This is there top guy on that site and if you read it well,he even states he was video taping the event,

Seems he always wants to have a weapon on and a camera running,

then promotes himself as the great Leader to get a new gun law passed,

To me and if i was a LE i would not wanna have to deal with fellows like this period!!!!!!!!!
Well, yes, leaders of OC groups do seem to be more outgoing.
Quote:
I am done with the politics of OC,Fair well

Quote:
its just a dead horse subject i suppose
Quote:
Thats my point i started but it seems others just wanna post TROLL about the subject,How many of them fat little show boats you think have a clue as to how to use weapon retention to save there life or to keep someone from taken there weapon?
Quote:
Things might have gone better had you made yourself a bit easier to understand - just constructive criticism based on 9-years of reading a few posts and seeing the quality of responses they receive based on the posts being understandable.

Yeah, this is long, and you'll probably ignore it anyway, but, if you do reply, do pretend you're writing a response to questions posed by your boss at work.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921

Last edited by RussP; 02-16-2012 at 10:26..
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:34   #79
whoflungdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
That seems to be the problem - figuring out what he wants.

Let's break out MoneyMaker's questions in this thread.There is no simple answer to every question you asked. Each question requires answers to these questions: Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How, to be understood, to be answered.

Here's the example of that:
See, a simple answer that omitted the Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How, to which you respond:G30Mike, who has been trying to help you throughout this thread, had a good response:trdvet came back expanding his original comment:Now, here is where your hostility begins to show.And trdvet nailed you on it...and you responded:So you dismiss him...

Before dismissing trdvet you posted:G30Mike answeredPrior to that you offered your opinions and comments:
Misconceptions...I've been OCing since November of '02 - never happened to me. Never happened to all but two or three GT members. If you compare the total number of OCers to the number who've had problems, acknowledging that even one is too many, that number would be an extremely small percentage of the OC population.

series1811 added:Okay, back to your questions...I have a question about this:What do all your hunting buddies say about open carry?

How do they handle it?

How do they answer your questions?[INDENT]Okay, going to stop here to call you out for trolling... You keep alleging that those participating on the Cop Talk Forum are not in law enforcement. You are wrong.[INDENT]I really wish all your posts on OCDO were still there...[INDENT]Are you saying that open carry group gatherings are...well, what are you saying?That went over well on OCDO, didn't it?

Good...

Do you want an official answer or a personal opinion?

When asked about your banning from OCDO...

Well, yes, leaders of OC groups do seem to be more outgoing.Things might have gone better had you made yourself a bit easier to understand - just constructive criticism based on 9-years of reading a few posts and seeing the quality of responses they receive based on the posts being understandable.

Yeah, this is long, and you'll probably ignore it anyway, but, if you do reply, do pretend you're writing a response to questions posed by your boss at work.
Russ, YOU have the patience of Job.. I too am interested to see the response..

GTDS Certified Member #9
whoflungdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:48   #80
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

I like pie!